Project Uber

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about Relincath? Its CBand STAB move is nearly = to a Super Effective Choice Band Seaking's Megahorn when super effective. (225 ~ 240, plus it has Earthquake for Steel types that try and switch in like Dialga).

Qwilfish also deserves mention for being able to outspeed Deoxys-S in the Rain, being the fastest Taunter and Thunder Waver, plus its the fastest Explosion and Destiny Bonder when Rain is active (take that Wobbafett). Qwilfish also absorbs Toxic Spikes, and can even set up Spikes/Toxic Spikes of its own. Perhaps a set like:

Qwilfish: @ Focus Sash
252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
Adamant

Taunt / Swords Dance
Thunder Wave / Aqua Tail
Spikes / Poison Jab
Destiny Bond / Explosion

Absol @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Adamant, Super Luck
252atk/252spd/4HP
Sucker Punch
Pursuit
Superpower
Night Slash
/Substitute

130 attack combined with the strongest priority move in the game that also happens to hit so much of the uber metagame for super effective damage sounds just peachy. Pursuit and Night Slash can play mind games with opponents while they scout sucker punch.

No Psycho Cut needed here for obvious reasons, but night slash might not be completely necessary. I don't see Absol having the time to SD. Substitute could work to ease prediction, help Sucker Punch work, and block wisps. Obviously you can't use sub with a CB.

Superpower for Dialga and Darkrai switch-ins, and TTar.

The item is up in the air. I'm afraid to band it because mispredicting sucker punch could lead to a game-ending setup.

Perhaps you could drop the speed evs and max HP? I'd imagine that you'll be using pursuit and sucker punch most of the time, and superpower is mostly for switch-ins. Dropping speed does mean that you can't nail TTar after he switches in on a dark move, and Absol is so frail that the HP probably doesn't make any difference.

Amnesia + Barrier sounds good. Throw on Toxic and a recovery move and you're good.

Watch out for Taunt though
I'm not sure how that could ever outclass Cosmic Power Deoxys-D which actually sucks even with Taunt / Toxic / Recover. If you opt for defensive Baton Pass why would you pass +2 Def / SpD over +2 Atk / SpA / Spe? Mew is arguably the best offensive Baton Passer in the game and should be (ab)used as such.

Officially, this is the exact set I'm testing at the moment:

@ Leftovers
Calm
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 SpD

Roost
Amnesia
Baton Pass
W-o-w
Generally speaking, 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD Calm/Careful is a better spread, providing good balanced offences with a slight bias to SpD. I am sceptical on this set because Deoxys can basically do it with Cosmic Power, but I will be interested to see how it does.

I'm trying out Blaziken on Ubers, with this set:

@ Petaya Berry
Nature: Modest
Evs: 4 Defense, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
Ability: (if there is more than one option)
- Agility
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

I came up with this set just around now today and I'm planning to test it on a sun team together with KD24's Shiftry and a Victreebel. It runs like Agilipoleon, but with a little bit less Special Attack, but more Speed. I haven't really done much with it since it rarely sets up, but earlier today, I agilitied on a choiced scizor, and it managed to OHKO a manaphy (im not sure about it's EVs and stuff)

I suck at EVs in general, so I gave it a simple EV spread, but some EVs can be taken from Speed and into Defense; 108 Defense EVs lets your subs survive unboosted adamant technician scizor bullet punch

Without picking on the Pokemon himself (Blaziken is my fav, but ubers might be a bit extreme), my only question is why Hidden Power Ice? Overall, I see it hitting 2 things; Rayquaza and Groudon. Groudon is hit harder by STAB Fire Blast (this is without factoring in sun, mind you), and Rayquaza is, well, Rayquaza. I recommend Hidden Power Dragon; it would work well as it still hits Rayquaza (watch out for ExtremeSpeed!), while also broadening your coverage to include Palkia (and hitting Kyogre with at least something, should the situation be forced).

Also, you probably shouldn't force a lot of test subjects together; not only will it mess up results (you'll likely compare them to one another or rely on one heavily), but you're also hindering your team's capabilities greatly (that's 4 pokemon right there, 3 are useless without setup and you have a tier of UBERS to deal with, one in particular that ruins your strategy and will give you hell).

EDIT: It seems Rayquaza isn't OHKO'd by unboosted HP Dragon (46% minimum), or even by a boosted attack (about 50% chance to KO with SR).

The moves I considered were Focus Blast, Solarbeam, or HP Ice, so I decided to use HP Ice since basically all of my team loses to Rayquaza. Sadly, my team doesn't have any Stealth Rock users, so I might have to settle with HP Ice. I guess I'll try making another team without Shiftry/Victreebel, but I'll probably keep Wobby.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can't see that Blaziken set working. He needs the Agility boost to prove effective. And with its frail defenses, it's hard to put off. Furthermore, there are just too many pokemon that stop this thing cold - to name some, Kyogre, Palkia, Blissey, Lati@s. If you do manage to activiate Petaya Berry with an Agility Boost, Rayquaza and Scizor can finish it off with Extremespeed and Bullet Punch respectively.

Why would I use this, when I can use a Swift Swimmer paired with Kyogre, saving me a turn and a moveslot for double speed, and not to forget better coverage in Ubers. Empoleon is also better than this Blaziken. He, at least, has the typing and defenses to set up an Agility, and has Grass Knot to hit Kyogre (or he can have Ice Beam, which is obviously better than HP Ice). Empoleon's typing is also protection from priority attacks, something that Blaziken would yearn for.

Veedrock, this Blaziken cannot OHKO Rayquaza with HP Dragon, even with SR in play.

I would also like to note that ever since the creation of this project, I have been seeing many more pokemon from the OU and UU tiers. I came across Theorymon testing his Kabutops and deno yaus (this is spelt wrong, I can't remember the name, sorry) testing Taunt Dragon Dance Tyranitar. Both can tear apart teams that aren't prepared for them - Kabutops just needs constant Rain, and a SD boost. Tyranitar can prepare a 1 DD, watch Giratina and Lugia come in, hoping to pHaze or WoW him, only to be Taunted. Then Tyranitar can prepare another DD boost.

I could say that many OU/UU pokemon could break down many Uber teams. When most people prepare their team, they prepare for Uber pokemon, and forget to take OU/UU pokemon into the equation. These pokemon have a strong surprise factor. This is especially true when considering the Uber environment is known to contain many fearful Special attackers, and only three threatening physical attackers - Groudon, Rayquaza and Garchomp (Scizor doesn't deal massive amounts of damage - he has a different function). So people may, say, place a Lugia on their team to deal with these physical attackers, and that's it. Then, for example, Kabutops or Tyranitar could come along, take down this Great Wall with STAB Stone Edge and proceed to sweep the opposing team, given the right circumstances.

How about Relincath? Its CBand STAB move is nearly = to a Super Effective Choice Band Seaking's Megahorn when super effective. (225 ~ 240, plus it has Earthquake for Steel types that try and switch in like Dialga).
I tested Relicanth in few battles. It needs rain to really work and Head Smash with Recoil hurts alot Relicanth. But it kills in one shot Lugia to show this things power. And Stone Edge has a small chance to OHKO with SR up (and Aqua Tail 2OHKO with SR up that Lugia). But switching in Relicanth... is hard as hell with that poor typing. And without Swift Swim it's too slow in my opinion. But if you can support it with the rest of your team it's not bad. But still Groudon and Giratina walls it quite bad.

I remember facing Stallrein + Abomasnow in the past. It's really annoying if Wallrein puts up Substitute. On Gengar McGar works with both Focus Punch / Focus Blast to surprise those Scizors and some Blisseys as some of them don't run special attacks to break Gengar Substitute.

And I'm going to start Cresselia/Tangrowth tests soon.

EDIT: I'm testing those sets, which I posted earlier (two Tangrowth sets) and Cresselia ones (Physical Wall, Special Wall and CM one). And I tested earlier Relicanth in the past - it works, but it needs serious support to use it to the fullest. And about McGar - I use it in one of teams and it's solid, good Scizor and TTar bait and it can still counter few dangerous opponents like SDLuke.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I'm glad more and more people are trying the sets we've listed in this thread, that makes me happy.

I would like to make it clear that if you are testing a set, not just posting a move set, to make it clear for me so I can mark you down.

Regarding to Gen. Empoleon, I would like to test a certain Raikou set for ubers.

Raikou@Life Orb
EVs: 42 Hp / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm mind
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Thunder
- Substitute/Shadow Ball

I've been using this Raikou set for a long time, and it works exceptionally well forcing switches on Kyogre and Scizors that run around the field. If you can predict a Groudon switch, Hidden Power Ice 2HKOs it, while Thunder will dent most things in the uber metagame really hard (with CM, Thunder OHKOs the standard Palkia and Mewtwo). Substitute is there to predict status and switches, while Shadow Ball hits Shedinja and Lati@s harder, usually 2HKOing both of them with a Calm Mind boost.

Unlike his Electric-counterpart Jolteon, he has more Special bulk and access to Calm Mind, which makes him a good choice to consider over Jolteon. (although Jolteon has Volt Absorb, which Raikou lacks)

I'll give Hitmontop another shot, I've used it with decent success earlier.
Hitmontop
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef (adamant)
Technician
@ Life Orb
Fake Out
Sucker Punch/Stone Edge/Pursuit?
Mach Punch
Close Combat/Stone Edge

Just your standard Technitop, but why should I use it in Ubers? Because Fake Out + Priority of choice deals at least 50% to pretty much every offensive Mon in Ubers (barring Rayquaza, which is where Stone Edge comes into play). The main problem with Hitmontop is the inability to break walls at all, but Ubers are full of powerful wallbreakers, so this shouldn't be the problem. Some Calcs? Fine, here they are:

Fake Out vs. 6/0 Kyogre: 23.98% - 28.36%
Mach Punch vs. 6/0 Kyogre: 35.96% - 42.40%

-> This doesn't seem much, but it is. If you add those numbers you'll get a minimum damage of ~60%, whereas the maximum is above 70%. Add some hazards and Kyogre is dead.

Fake Out vs. 112/20 (RP-)Groudon: 15.18% - 17.89%
Mach Punch vs. 112/20 (RP-)Groudon: 22.76% - 26.83%

-> Stop being a bulky badass mon please D: Well, 38-45% can still stop a RPDon sweep lol, but when using Hitmontop you should have other ways of dealing with Don.

Fake Out vs. 0/0 hasty Palkia: 26.48% - 31.15%
Mach Punch vs 0/0 hasty Palkia: 39.56% - 46.73%

-> Heh, die Palkia, just die. A minimum damage of 66% isnt bad at all, is it? Maximum is even 78%, which means that hazards spell an easy death for Palkia (and you should never use Hitmontop without Spikes/SR anyway)

Fake Out vs. 4/0 neutral nature Dialga: 9.36% - 11.11%
Mach Punch vs. 4/0 neutral nature Dialga: 56.14% - 66.67%

-> Don't even bother using Fake Out lol. Mach Punch does pretty cool damage to Dialga, hazards can spell it's death once again... but Dialga is still pretty bulky, but Hitmontop is meant to clean lategame, so Dialga should be already weakened.

Fake Out vs. 4/0 neutral nature Darkrai: 29.08% - 34.40%
Mach Punch vs. 4/0 neutral nature Darkrai: 87.23% - 102.84%

-> Darkrai's Dark Pulse does jack, whereas Hitmontop has a good shot at killing it with Stealth Rocks up by simply using Mach Punch.

Fake Out vs 112/0 Rayquaza (even though I'd say nearly everybody goes 4/0): 21.64% - 25.59%
Sucker Punch vs. said Rayquaza: 29.02% - 34.30%
Stone Edge vs. said Rayquaza: 71.92% - 85.04%

-> Not very good to be honest. If Ray is locked in Outrage which won't be the case very often with SDRay all around, Hitmontop manages to do 50% to Rayquaza by using Fake Out + Sucker Punch. But if Ray tries to set-up it will take some nice damage thanks to Stone Edge...

Fake Out vs. 4/0 Mewtwo: 23.16% - 27.40%
Pursuit vs. 4/0 Mewtwo: 46.33% - 54.80%
Sucker Punch/Pursuit when Mewtwo is trying to escape vs. 4/0 Mewtwo: 62.15% - 73.45%

-> Mewtwo requires some mindgames... you have to know it's set to have the best chance against it. Fake Out helps some much here, it's incredible. You can scout for Leftovers and easily bring him into range for one of your Dark moves. If he's equipped with Lefties and you don't have Pursuit, you should run, as he can CM up if he wants to. If there are no Leftovers, you can use your Dark move of choice, as he's either all out offensive or even choiced. And no Mewto in Ubers run Psychic, so you're pretty safe against it.

Mach Punch vs 4/252 calm Blissey: 68.40% - 80.98%
Close Combat doesn't need the calcs...
Fake Out vs. 4/252 calm Blissey: 22.85% - 26.99%

-> I could swear it did more most of the time when I used Hitmontop o_O Well, Blissey is still nothing to worry about imo.

Fake Out against 176/0 (Uber Trapper-) Scizor: 11.38% - 13.54%
Mach Punch against mentioned Scizor: 34.46% - 40.92%
Close Combat against Scizor: 69.54% - 82.15%

-> Close Combat and Mach Punch both do decent damage to Scizor, so you should be able to defeat it.

Lugia walls it completely... even Stone Edge (which will rarely do much damage due to Roost + Pressure) does 42.31% - 50.00% - if you can get it down to low health and then catch it on the switch you deserve some congratulations.

So those were the top 10 mons in Ubers in February, and how Hitmontop deals with them. As already mentioned, I'll just test it lol

im just curious but could you possibly use rapid spin in the last slot? The reason i suggest this is I think that hitmontop works best primarily on a stall team with sr / spikes / toxic spike and a ghost and assuming you don't have forretress, rapid spin is a decent idea so you wont get too worn down.

dont want to turn this into a rmt topic but i think that hitmontop could excel on a team of:

deoxys
lugia
hitmontop
blissey
groudon
giratina

I will also be testing hitmontop and will reveal my results after some significant battling.

I suppose Cloyster is a much better choice for Rapid spinning then Hitmontop does. Since it can come in to Groundon easier, can kill Forretress with HP fire and hit Giratina hard with Ice Beam. I've already tested it as a lead and it worked very well to prevent your opponent to get SR down early on. Way to go Mien! Cloyster ended up being very good!

As for Abomasnow i've used it several times on smogon tour with succes, Max SpD/HP is mostly best choice to take Specsogre better. I'd like to note that substitude is overall a much better choice then Wood Hammer. It allows abomasnow to absorb his opponent with leech seed while consistly using Substitude/Protect and block status as well. Either way Wood hammer is useless on the uber set. It is better to absorb kyogre with leech seed and recover from Waterspout, SR and set yourself up with substitude then killing it with Wood Hammer and losing a lot of hp in the proces.

I'll test Jolteon. Absorbing Electric-type moves is underrated, as nearly everything uses them. Thunder Waves from Groudon may be the only thing I wouldn't want to switch into.

Also note you can discuss your tests at #ubers on DejaToons.

As far as LeadTar goes, I much prefer this:

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/56 Atk/200 SDef
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Flamethrower
---

Enough SpDef to survive Darkrai's/ScarfTwo's Focus Blast and enough HP to survive Supporting Groudon's EQ. I prefer Flamethrower over Thunder Wave as it allows TTar to deal with incoming Scizor/Forry. Crunch/Superpower still obliterates Darkrai/Deo-E leads.

Might I also just add the viability of ScarfTran;

---
Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Explosion
---

pretty typical MS, dunno why it hasn't been mentioned at all. Solid counter to SD Ray. Scarf Flamethrower backed w/ sunlight is still pretty powerful. Decent check against BU Dialga, absorbs WoW etc. Fast explosion is ALWAYS useful, especially when up against CM users like Latias or Kyogre.

Though it is considered Uber, Shaymin-S is a very underrated threat.

---
Shaymin-s @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Earth Power / Hp Fire
- Seed Flare
---

SubSeed with blitzing speed. Seed Flare is an awesome move and, on a Stall Team, makes a great answer to Tail Glow Manaphy. While pokes like Giratina(-O) and Blissey think they can come with their enormous SpD, Leech Seed will heal Shaymin enormous percentages due to their mammoth HP stats. Earth Power hits Dialga better, while HP Fire is for Scizor.

im testing out a mew lead for a stall team, which has worked out well so far.

mew@choice scarf
252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 Atk Timid

u-turn
explosion
taunt
trick

against lead support don tricks, takes lum/chesto and then either taunts if lum or u turn if it was a chesto berry. allows either forry or blissey to come in for free, depending on how the groudon user reacted.

against darkrai, i usually just swutch to my sleep talker, or use uturn if i KNOW the opponent is slower.

against lead deoxys e uturn is used to deal around 50% and then switch into someone who KOs him. forry can come out later to spin away.

im too busy to type in what i do to every lead, but if you have any questions just ask and ill answer.

I will vouch for Celebi. I use it on my primary team as a lead:

Celebi@ Choice Scarf
Jolly
252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 Spd
~U-turn
~Thunderwave
~Stealth Rock
~Trick
It can set up SR quickly, or cripple with Twave. If one needs to switch, one can U-turn to get out and do some decent damage to the likes of Mewtwo, Darkrai, or Deoxys-S. Trick is the primary reason to use this set, as it can cripple many leads who try to set up. It can also be handy later in the game as a crippler.

higher attack would mean more damage you take from confusion hitting yourself.

and struggle damage is so miniscule anyway.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I will vouch for Celebi. I use it on my primary team as a lead:

Celebi@ Choice Scarf
Jolly
252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 Spd
~U-turn
~Thunderwave
~Stealth Rock
~Trick
It can set up SR quickly, or cripple with Twave. If one needs to switch, one can U-turn to get out and do some decent damage to the likes of Mewtwo, Darkrai, or Deoxys-S. Trick is the primary reason to use this set, as it can cripple many leads who try to set up. It can also be handy later in the game as a crippler.
Couldn't Jirachi and/or Mew pull off this exact same strategy with the exact same moves, but with better typing? The only reason I see for the use of Celebi is resistance to Earthquake, and to cure Darkrai's Dark Void by switching out.

higher attack would mean more damage you take from confusion hitting yourself.

and struggle damage is so miniscule anyway.
This is the reason why I have 0 Atk IVs on my pokemon that don't have physical attacks. My Blissey takes 1 damage from attacking itself in confusion.

When I'm finished with Skarmory (and I can confidently say it works; there's just a bit more I want to do with him, like alternative EV spreads), I'll like to test Mamoswine. I'll be testing this set:
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Avalanche
Superpower / Stone Edge
I haven't decided on the Item or EVs yet, though I'm probably going to let it have 245 Speed to outrun pokemon that try to outrun Jolly Tyranitar by one point. Rest will go into Atk and Def, so he can take attacks from Groudon and Rayquaza better.

When I'm finished with Skarmory (and I can confidently say it works; there's just a bit more I want to do with him, like alternative EV spreads), I'll like to test Mamoswine. I'll be testing this set:
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Avalanche
Superpower / Stone Edge
I haven't decided on the Item or EVs yet, though I'm probably going to let it have 245 Speed to outrun pokemon that try to outrun Jolly Tyranitar by one point. Rest will go into Atk and Def, so he can take attacks from Groudon and Rayquaza better.
I think that ScarfMamoswine would be an interesting option to test, but his typing is a bit meh and it doesn't help him in switching. I would try the same moveset, but with Ice Fang in place of Avalanche and maybe I would stay with Ice Shard even on Choice Scarf (even if only for Rayquaza). And with Scarf + Stone Edge it would 2OHKO Lugia with SR up, making it quite viable. Anyway, it's interesting to see Mamo as a proposition here with his even better in Ubers Earth/Ice STAB attacks.

Weavile @ Leftovers
Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Substitute
Night Slash
Ice Punch
Focus Punch

I am currently testing this weavile build. It is a generic sub puncher, but with the coverage to break most uber pokemon in half. No ice shard is a frightening and concerning concept, but it allows weavile to switch in on pokemon like Rayquaza (after something gets KO'd). Rayquaza will usually not stay in on weavile, giving you the oppurtunity to set up a substitute. Focus Punch blows Dialga away, and typically anything that Night Slash/Ice Punch isn't going to scratch. :D

From there on it's just click the proper attack until you need to switch weavile out. Seems effective 8) But then again, I am not very good at ubers. But that does not stop this Weavile from netting a few kills.

but his typing is a bit meh and it doesn't help him in switching.
I can see Mamo taking some unboosted hits, even in Ubers. But really, it's immunity to Thunder is probably enough. I would probably run Toxic on there somewhere to mess with some bulky switch ins, or maybe even SR for support-scouting.

As far as underused ubers go, something I've been trying lately is:

Deoxys-D @ Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Def
- Spikes
- Recover
- Taunt
- Night Shade / Toxic

It's been getting pretty mixed results for me. On the one hand, it's pretty consistent at getting some Spikes up, but on the other hand, so is Deoxys-S, and it's generally easier for other Pokemon to set up on than Deoxys-S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)