Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

During story battles naturally spawned weather doesn't actually produce it's effects, presumably for balance reasons. In my rematch with Kofu there was a Sandstorm going and not only did it not damage any of the Pokémon, but his Pelipper was able to put up its Rain with Drizzle and the two weather conditions overlapped (also the check status menu showed Sandstorm rather than Rain).
Huh, so how do you explain Orichalcum Pulse failing in this Acadamy Ace Tournament battle? (It was raining in the overworld at the time.)

Huh, so how do you explain Orichalcum Pulse failing in this Acadamy Ace Tournament battle? (It was raining in the overworld at the time.)
I’ve had my own experience with Kofu where the sandstorm was active the entire battle. The sandstorm visual even ended during the battle, but the chip damage continued. I think maybe the overworld weather state is only checked at the start of the battle.

Story battles only, the Ace Academy Tournament and the Team Star rematches don't count.
I’ve had my own experience with Kofu where the sandstorm was active the entire battle. The sandstorm visual even ended during the battle, but the chip damage continued. I think maybe the overworld weather state is only checked at the start of the battle.
Possibly? The sandstorm kicked up while he was talking for me so that might be the case.

Were you doing the rematch fight or the initial fight?

OK, so how about Mela's Torkoal's Drought failing then? (Initial encounter, not rematch.)
Huh, guess it's inconsistent, unless they dropped a stealth patch at some point.

Guessing it's because the weather already existed prior to the battle rather than starting during it.

Last edited:
Please limit discussion to battle mechanics only - you will be infracted for discussing implications on metagames

Please also do not ask questions about / answer questions with "leaked" content until such things are confirmed in a datamine, or when the games are floating around and delinquents have clearly started playing them.

New Mechanics in Scarlet and Violet

Terastal
Moves
Abilities
Items
Misc
Changes to Old Mechanics
Moves
  • Recover - 5 PP, down from 10
  • Soft-Boiled - 5 PP, down from 10
  • Rest - 5 PP, down from 10
  • Milk Drink - 5 PP, down from 10
  • Slack Off - 5 PP, down from 10
  • Roost - 5 PP, down from 10
  • Ally Switch - can now fail if used in succession
  • Shore Up - 5 PP, down from 10
  • Grassy Glide - 60 power, down from 70
  • Wicked Blow - 75 power, down from 80
  • Glacial Lance - 120 power, down from 130
Abilities
  • Snow Cloak - snow
  • Ice Body - snow
  • Snow Warning - snow
  • Protean - activates once per switch-in
  • Slush Rush - snow
  • Intrepid Sword - activates once per battle
  • Dauntless Shield - activates once per battle
  • Libero - activates once per switch-in
  • Ice Face - snow
Is double shock 2.0 or 1.5 after using it once and then using tera

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Double Shock has no drawback when Tera'd.
I think they were asking about the STAB boost from Tera.

Is double shock 2.0 or 1.5 after using it once and then using tera
From my testing,
  • Tera-Electric after using Double Shock, you only get 1.5x STAB. Subsequent hits are also 1.5x STAB.
  • Tera-Electric before using Double Shock, you get the 2x STAB. Subsequent hits are also 2x STAB.
  • Tera-Electric before using Double Shock, get initial 2x STAB. Switch out and back in, still 2x STAB.
  • Double Shock w/o Tera, 1.5x STAB. Tera-Electric, no attack, switch out and back in, is now 2x STAB.
Basically, if you lost electric type before you Tera, you only get the 1.5x STAB. Switching out and back in will reset the STAB boost to the normal 2x.

Feel free to read the testing stuff. I tried my best to explain the thought process for determining the STAB multipliers, but it might still be a bit confusing.
Level 60 Pawmot (150 Atk) vs Level 60 Brute Bonnet (147 Def)

Non-Tera-Electric damage (NT)
Lvl 60 0 Atk Pawmot Double Shock vs. Lvl 60 0 HP / 0+ Def Brute Bonnet: 41-48 (18.5 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO
Possible damage amounts: (41, 41, 42, 42, 42, 43, 44, 44, 45, 45, 45, 46, 47, 47, 48, 48)

Tera-Electric damage (TE)
Lvl 60 0 Atk Tera Electric Pawmot Double Shock vs. Lvl 60 0 HP / 0+ Def Brute Bonnet: 55-65 (24.8 - 29.4%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
Possible damage amounts: (55, 55, 56, 57, 57, 58, 59, 59, 60, 61, 61, 62, 63, 63, 64, 65)

tests
Turn 1, no Tera, Double Shock:
173/221 (48)

Turn 1, Tera, Double Shock:
166/221 (55)
159/221 (62)

Turn 1, no Tera, Double Shock,
Turn 2, Tera, Double Shock:
131/221 (90)
NT min 41 + TE min 55 = 96 > 90.
Therefore, second hit cannot be 2x multiplier.
Second hit must be 1.5x multiplier.

Turn 1, Tera, Double Shock,
Second turn, Double Shock:
91/221 (130)
TE max 65 + NT max 48 = 113 < 130.
Therefore, second hit cannot be 1.5x multiplier.
Second hit must be 2x multiplier.

Turn 1, Tera, Double Shock,
Turn 2, switch out,
Turn 3, switch in,
Turn 4, Double Shock:
104/221 (117)
TE min 55 + NT max 48 = 103 < 117.
TE max 65 + NT max 48 = 113 < 117.
Cannot have Turn 4 hit with 1.5x multiplier.
Turn 4 hit must be 2x multiplier.

Turn 1, non-Tera, Double Shock,
Turn 2, Tera, Sleep Talk,
Turn 3, switch out,
Turn 4, switch in,
Turn 5, Double Shock:
119/221 (102)
If two NT hits (1.5x multiplier): max damage is 48 + 48 = 96 < 102
if two TE hits (2x multiplier): min damage is 55 + 55 = 110 > 102
Cannot be two NT hits or two TE hits, therefore must be one NT and one TE.

It seems Iron Ball and Power items still LOWER speed in a Trick Room. This is just my own interpretation of what's going on, would like some more clarification...

From what I can tell, a 0 Speed IVs/EVs Quiet Bronzong holding an Iron Ball will move after a 0 Speed IVs/EVs Quiet Torkoal both in and out of Trick Room.

Is this the intended mechanic of Iron Ball? To apply the speed halving after Trick Room affects the speed stat?

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
They is not using Trick Room with Iron Ball, they are talking about the interaction in Trick Room
If for some reason, they used the move Trick Room while Trick Room was still up, they would still move second due to negative priority.

The mechanics surrounding Iron Ball doesn't seem to have changed, and it would be weird to implement a Trick Room specific interaction like Room Service unless that is what GameFreak actually did.

If for some reason, they used the move Trick Room while Trick Room was still up, they would still move second due to negative priority.

The mechanics surrounding Iron Ball doesn't seem to have changed, and it would be weird to implement a Trick Room specific interaction like Room Service unless that is what GameFreak actually did.
...expecially considering making a pokemon "TR viable" was the main use of Iron Ball in first place

In the right place this time:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'd like some clarification on tera and type-changing effects. If a Pokemon has its type changed via protean/soak/trick or treat/etc and then teras into the new type, does it super stab?

In addition, if a Pokemon has its type changed and then teras into its original type, does it get super stab?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
  • Origin Forms are acquired by equipping the appropriate Adamant Crystal, Lustrous Globe, or Griseous Core item. Equipping Adamant Orb, Lustrous Orb, or Griseous Orb do not change the forms of the Sinnoh creation trio.
    • Karthik finds independently (not featured in this video) that the Origin items provide an identical base power boost as the original Orbs do.
  • Glaive Rush appears to only apply its negative effect until the Glaive Rush user's next action.
    • Example: Glaive Rush turn 1, Ice Shard turn 2. Attacks into the Glaive Rush user will not be doubled or have sure-hit accuracy.
    • Example: Glaive Rush turn 1. Turn two, a faster Pokemon attacks the Glaive Rush user, and a slower Pokemon attacks the Glaive Rush user (order: faster Pokemon -> Glaive Rush user -> slower Pokemon). Only the faster Pokemon will benefit from Glaive Rush's negative effect.
    • If a Tatsugiri uses Glaive Rush, then begins Commanding on the next turn without having taken any action, then some turns pass, then Dondozo faints without Tatsugiri taking any action, Glaive Rush's negative effect is still not applied.
  • Terastallization reveals Speed order, similarly to Dynamax / Mega Evolution from previous generations.
  • As a non-Ghost, using Curse and Terastallizing into a Ghost-type will target either opponent randomly.
  • Reflect Type can be used into a Terastallized target and will copy its Tera Type. A Terastallized target using Reflect Type will cause the move to fail.
  • Wind Power and Wind Rider don't activate if an opponent uses Tailwind.
  • Bitter Blade lacks the same flag in move data as other moves, such as Drain Punch or Giga Drain, which means it does not get a priority boost with Triage.
  • Future Sight can be used into a Commanding Tatsugiri. If the Tatsugiri is Commanding on hit, the move will miss.
  • Toxic Debris activates before Mortal Spin clears hazards.
EDIT: proof that the Origin items are 4915 base power multipliers:
Each Sinnoh trio member is level 100, had its typing changed to pure Water with Soak, has 274 Sp. Atk, using 85 BP Dragon Pulse into a Chansey with 103 Sp. Def. These were the damage rolls from each Sinnoh trio member's Dragon Pulse.
Palkia: 194, 196, 199, 208, 229
Dialga: 199, 203, 215, 222, 229
Giratina: 203, 206, 210, 215, 222

Here are what the damage rolls would be if their rolls were instead Attack or Damage modifiers:

If BP: 194,196,199,201,203,206,208,210,212,215,217,219,222,224,226,229
If Atk: 195,197,200,202,204,207,209,211,213,216,218,220,223,225,227,230
If Damage: 194,197,199,202,203,205,208,210,212,215,217,220,222,224,227,229

Each Sinnoh trio member hit damage rolls only possible with the Origin items being 4915 BP modifiers.

Last edited:
Thanks for finding that Toxic Debris activates after Mortal Spin clears hazards!

Does Toxic Debris similarly activate after Rapid Spin clears hazards? Pokemon Showdown had Toxic Debris activate before Rapid Spin clears hazards last time I loaded Great Tusk/Iron Treads into Glimmora.

I don't think this has been asked yet, hopefully! How does Revival Blessing interact with
- Mimikyu's busted Disguise (does it come back?)
- Eiscue's Noice Face (does it return to Ice Face?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)