Scrafty

It's just that Overconfidence gives you very generous benefits no matter what kind of team your opponent plays, wheras with shed skin, it's only going to help you if you get statussed to begin with (and if you have terrible luck, it's not going to help you at all.)

I can see the merit in using it, but Overconfidence is just much too tempting.

It's just that Overconfidence gives you very generous benefits no matter what kind of team your opponent plays, wheras with shed skin, it's only going to help you if you get statussed to begin with (and if you have terrible luck, it's not going to help you at all.)

I can see the merit in using it, but Overconfidence is just much too tempting.
Still not too sold on a slow and overconfident Zuru, but whatever works for some people, I guess I'm just too biased regarding Dragon Dance :)

And regarding the Shed Skin debate, I guess I'd rather be proactive and have an ability that can activate reliably than wait for something to happen. They way I'd solve the status threat is by simply equipping a Lum Berry or throwing up a Sub on the switch, either giving me free rein to get at least 1 Dragon Dance. I trade an item or one attack for an ability that would help me better in the long run and much more consistently: Intimidate guarantees a switch or increased survivability, or Overconfidence which will greatly increase my chance to sweep with the 2 or 3 attacks I have.

SHed Sell is a good ability, on a offensive Team you normally dont have so many Status-Absorber, like for sLeep or something.

But whats more important, or i exspect so, that Overconfidnce wont be as good, as youd may think: Sure, it give you a Atk-Boost and so on but itll give you a 1+Atk after youve killed something, and this pokemon will normally be the poke which is the best prepared for it so youll get the boost, after youve killed the most difficult member, it get easier to kill the other Pokes even without the ATK-Boost, because the Check will come in ifrst.

I think status is better taken care of by running Substitute on DD Sets, alongside OC.

However, I can definitely see the merits of Shed Skin on a Bulk Up set. I wouldn't even consider Overconfidence in this case.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On the bulk up set replace toxic with rest, as combined with shed skin it's viable as a restorative move, and as toxic stalling is pretty worthless without sub / protect / healing move. Plays very similarly to revankh from CAP.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
What a unique Pokemon!

Apparently it's based on a molten lizard (hence Dragon Dance) and is supposed to resemble an urban thug (the 'Scoundrel' Pokemon, uses punching and kicking attacks, Overconfidence, Intimidate, has a mohawk and baggy pants etc). I think that's quite cool but the sprite is butt-ugly. Anyway, here's what I'd use.

Zurukzukin @ Leftovers
Overconfidence | Jolly
252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 Spe

- Dragon Dance
- Hi Jump Kick
- Crunch
- Taunt

- Hi Jump Kick + Crunch provides STAB and is only resisted by Heracross, Toxicroak and maybe some new 'mons that I can't recall.
- Overconfidence over Shed Skin because Taunt is a much more reliable way of blocking status as well as preventing phazing moves, Reflect, enemy recovery etc. Overconfidence also patches up his piss-poor Attack which is even poorer on account of the minimal EV investment.
- Outruns positive nature base 110's (Gengar, Latias etc) after a DD.
- Bulky as hell. Check out these calculations:

0 SpA Vaporeon Boiling Water vs 252/0 Zuru = 26% avg
252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Extremespeed vs 252/0 Zuru = 32% avg
0 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs 252/0 Zuru = 33% avg
Choice Band Scizor Bullet Punch vs 252/0 Zuru = 46% avg
252 Atk Adamant Doryuuzu Earthquake vs 252/0 Zuru = 53% avg
252 SpA Timid Heatran Fire Blast vs 252/0 Zuru = 56% avg

Wowzers.

- Unfortunately only has 328 Atk after a Dragon Dance but smart play and a 130 BP STAB attack should allow you to get an Overconfidence kill (or Taunt + bulk will allow you to get a second Dragon Dance) which will send you up to a much more respectable 438 Atk.
- Sure, you can run max Atk and a Life Orb to hit harder but then you're sacrificing the bulk and are stuck with a Dragon Dancer with lol90 Atk and rofl58 Spe.

He won't be OU quality but he still looks like he can pose a threat to any team if you time it right. Being 3HKO'd by Scizors Bullet Punch and barely 4HKO'd by Luke's Extremespeed is huge.

I've never said this before, but I stopped when you said he didn't need intimidate. I don't see how it wouldn't be a good idea to have some extra bulk.

He does look interesting though. I like the fact that he gets Dragon Dance. Every cracked out looking lizard should get it.

You know what's really bad ass about him? He doesn't look like anything threatening, his defences would come off as a surprise. I like him more and more every time.

well at heroic poke id say with an adamant nature the one i use on my fighting pokes
252 atk 252 hp 4 spd and drain punch does the same damage as bb (brick break)
so it be a great move because it also healsand would still get stab hjk im taking a risk on but might not use it since im not using wide lens 4 dis set dont ask why i woundnt run def evs i ev a pokes weaknesses so bulk up would be best as it raises at and def and this guy doesent have any def evs it be better of 4 him and not to mention it boost its already eved attack

A reminder to everyone talking about using Intimidate on Zuruzukin: Intimidate is a Dream World ability.
WHAT? Isn't Overconfidence his DW ability??? Lemme check again.

EDIT: Hmm, appears you're right. Oh well. And I was really planning to make an in-game Intimidating Zuru when the US Version comes out. Overconfidence's okay too, since I do favor the SubDance set to begin with.

well at heroic poke id say with an adamant nature the one i use on my fighting pokes
252 atk 252 hp 4 spd and drain punch does the same damage as bb (brick break)
so it be a great move because it also healsand would still get stab hjk im taking a risk on but might not use it since im not using wide lens 4 dis set dont ask why i woundnt run def evs i ev a pokes weaknesses so bulk up would be best as it raises at and def and this guy doesent have any def evs it be better of 4 him and not to mention it boost its already eved attack
Yeah, definitely no need for defensive EVs, Bulk Up and his naturally high base stats for Def and SDef should be enough. Focus should be on HP and Atk.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Still not too sold on a slow and overconfident Zuru, but whatever works for some people, I guess I'm just too biased regarding Dragon Dance :)

And regarding the Shed Skin debate, I guess I'd rather be proactive and have an ability that can activate reliably than wait for something to happen. They way I'd solve the status threat is by simply equipping a Lum Berry or throwing up a Sub on the switch, either giving me free rein to get at least 1 Dragon Dance. I trade an item or one attack for an ability that would help me better in the long run and much more consistently: Intimidate guarantees a switch or increased survivability, or Overconfidence which will greatly increase my chance to sweep with the 2 or 3 attacks I have.
Shed Skin won't see much use on an offensive set, but on a Bulk Up/Tank set, I'd rather have a Safeguard against Toxic and WoW.

Shed Skin won't see much use on an offensive set, but on a Bulk Up/Tank set, I'd rather have a Safeguard against Toxic and WoW.
True, any offensive Zuru set should ideally run Overconfidence. Bulky Zuru has no business throwing up Subs anyway, which would be a waste of moveslot space. 30% is nothing to scoff at, given how many times I've haxed with Rock Slide with TTar and Air Slash with Togetic before paralysis, but I'm kinda more confident with my odds there because I'm actively attacking, dealing decent damage, and just hoping for the bonus hax, whereas Shed Skin is a passively defensive ability. Oh well, I don't really play too much stall anyway, so I could be wrong :)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with Dragon Dance Zuruzukin running without Intimidate. Why else does Dragon Dance Gyarados and Salamence work so well? Intimidate helps a hell of a lot with this.

Since Zuruzukin is still pretty slow after a Dragon Dance, it's going to take two of them to get up to snuff as far as offensive goes. This means you want as much breathing space as possible when using it, and Intimidate covers that nicely. I'd also place some "ehh" on HJK, if only because if it misses you're in deep shit at -50% health. While its base power is mediocre, I'd actually look at Drain Punch. It keeps Zuruzukin health and able to repeat Dragon Dancing pretty much.

But, Overconfidence does work to some extent. This mon is actually pretty thuggin'. Digging it.

I disagree with Dragon Dance Zuruzukin running without Intimidate. Why else does Dragon Dance Gyarados and Salamence work so well? Intimidate helps a hell of a lot with this.

Since Zuruzukin is still pretty slow after a Dragon Dance, it's going to take two of them to get up to snuff as far as offensive goes. This means you want as much breathing space as possible when using it, and Intimidate covers that nicely. I'd also place some "ehh" on HJK, if only because if it misses you're in deep shit at -50% health. While its base power is mediocre, I'd actually look at Drain Punch. It keeps Zuruzukin health and able to repeat Dragon Dancing pretty much.

But, Overconfidence does work to some extent. This mon is actually pretty thuggin'. Digging it.
I actually posted sets a few pages ago that paired Intimidate with Dragon Dance. Drain Punch is gravy because you actually get to heal some damage you take, and it's BP is just 5 short of Waterfall and Dragon Claw, which the aforementioned IntimiDancers aren't shy about spamming to great (and destructive) effect :)

Interestingly, Salamence gets Overconfidence as his DW ability as a direct inverse to Zuru getting Intimidate. Now that is a 'mon who's thuggin' around serious Overconfidence boosts :)

I agree with heroic poke, drain punch seems to be a superior option as healing itself while damaging the opponent with decent BP similar to that of other options (Brick Break) would allow Zuruzukin to vastly increase its survivability. Even with a DD under his belt, Zuru isn't goning to be out speeding the majority of pokes he would need to sweep. A Bulk Up or other bulky set is the way I will be heading when the new metagame comes into affect.

EDIT: Computer was screwing up, so first post wasn't displaying, deleted second post

Zuruzukin @ Leftovers
Shed Skin: blarg
252 HP, blarg
Crunch
Bulk Up
Amnesia
Rest

Could easily be one of the most annoying things this generation... of course, there is a lot you have to worry about this generation that you didn't have to the last one. Lot more fighting types and Erufuun, among others.

I suppose gambling on 30% chance to wake up each turn is nice, but your only type coverage there is crunch...I'd consider running something over Amnesia.

The point of using crunch is because it hits everything and nothing is immune to dark. Boost up your defense with Bulk up and Sp Defense with Amnesia and attempt to sweep.

You aren't going to want to run into Lucario with justice heart though...

One thing I don't like about this set is in order to use both bulk up and amnesia, you will need to be hit about 3 times before you can start actually attacking (due to low speed)

Zuzu is bulky, but it's still not going to enjoy taking more than 2 hits from a lot of pokemon out there.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ghost/Fighting gets perfect neutral coverage. Dark/Fighting is resisted by Bug/Fighting, Poison/Fighting, and Fighting/Flying, although that's not too significant, especially since Fighting/Flying doesn't exist. Justice Heart Gallade also resists the combination.

So it's near-perfect neutral coverage, which is still good, but it's not perfect.
gallade doesn't resist the combination of dark and fighting 'cause justice heart doesn't grant an immuity to dark type attacks.

Zuruzukin @ Leftovers
Shed Skin: blarg
252 HP, blarg
Crunch
Bulk Up/Amnesia
Drain Punch

Rest

Could easily be one of the most annoying things this generation... of course, there is a lot you have to worry about this generation that you didn't have to the last one. Lot more fighting types and Erufuun, among others.
That's what I would run instead. It all depends on the EVs really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)