Shiny Pokemon Experiences

Ever found a shiny Pokemon

• Total voters
I have spent the past few days soft resetting for a shiny Kartana, but my luck is really bad and with the shiny charm I still don’t have it after over 13 hours! I was doing horde encounters on my other 3ds at the same time and found a shiny Geodude. It almost died to the other Geodudes using magnitude, but it survived and I caught it. It was my first shiny outside of the non-legendaries in ultra space and Pokémon go and let’s go.

I was chaining Ditto on Sword just now hoping to get an aura one, and honestly by around 40 I was close to giving up and just catching any random one. I had never fought a Durant before but kept seeing ones with aura, and the Heatmor were ridiculously aggressively chasing me. But somehow I managed to carry on, and on my 63rd encounter, I ended up getting a shiny level 60 Ditto with aura. I had my level 70 Cinderace out and couldn't really do anything without OHKOing it, so I swapped into Toxtricity hoping to chip away with Nuzzle (I was aware that this particular Ditto had Limber, I just needed a low power [get it?] move.)

Anyway, the way I had my Toxtricity set up, the moves from top to bottom were Overdrive, Acid, Toxic, Nuzzle. By now you can probably guess where this story is going. I pressed A on my Joy-Con (for Fight), up on my left stick (to get to Nuzzle), and A again (to confirm)... but wait, the screen didn't get to the move selection part. Somehow the first A didn't register, and I had just pressed... Run.

"You couldn't get away!"

Pretty sure that's the first time I've ever been glad I couldn't get away from a Pokemon. Eventually got it down to red and caught it. Unfortunately it's only 2 IV and has a garbage nature, though.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I have two shiny Pokemon experiences from playing through Shield.

When I saw a Pokemon, I made sure to get a good look at it in case it was shiny and even ran into a few that were close in color just to be sure. On Route 3, when I saw the new Pokemon Sizzilpede I thought it was interesting that its back looked green. Later in the Fire Gym my heart sunk when I saw one that clearly had a brown back and didn't sparkle. After I stopped playing for the day I checked to see what shiny Sizzilpede looked like and guess what color the back was. I thought I'd seen it in the overworld and not ran into it because I didn't realize it was shiny at the time, but later I found out Sizzilpede don't even appear in the overworld. A trainer had one and I couldn't tell the back's color because of the glossy glare covering most of it. Long story short, I'm paranoid about Shinies.

After getting the final badge, I ran around some places with water to find what was hidden there and on Route 2 I saw a gold aura Rookidee. (Gold aura means it has an Egg Move, earns you Watts if you catch it, and I think it also means it has have 3 perfect IVs) Watts are a thing that you really should take when given the opportunity, so I ran into it and it was yellow! It was Blue in the overworld. (which makes my paranoia even better in hindsight) I was so shocked I didn't even pay attention to the Shiny Sparkle, but I did know it was an improvement over Gen 7's giant star. I'd checked what Shiny Corviknight looked like before so I knew the Heavy Ball was the best match. I thought a moment about what the catch rate might be and figured it would be pretty much guarantee if I lowered the health some. When it used the Egg Move Roost, I thought, "Sweet, I'm using Toxic!" Anyway, it was perfect luck. I ran into a Shiny, had a way to not KO it even though my team was around Level 50 and it was Level 7, and it even had the Egg Move I wanted. I'd done a few raids, so I could get it to Level 40 with candies. (It replaced Dubwool on my team. Sorry, Wooloo's less cute after evolution.) When I paid attention to the Gen 8 Shiny Sparkle I thought it looked kind of weird. It looked good with the Heavy Ball's release animation, but I didn't get why the second half of the animation had square sparkles. The next morning I checked Serebii, saw it had a SwSh page on Shiny Pokemon mechanics, and it said that one in sixteen shiny Pokemon had a Square Sparkle instead of Stars. (It's glitched with shaking grass, fishing, and I think berry trees, so Shinies from those are almost always Square.) It was a full odds Shiny and a one in sixteen "super shiny" The odds of that are 1/65,536! If you also count that it had the best of 7 Egg Moves in the odds, then its 1/458,752... Holy ****ing ****...

Just caught a Shiny Snorunt today while looking for a Honedge (and yes I did catch a Honedge a few minutes later)! :)
Are you evolving it into Frosslass or Glalie if you have the choice, are the sparkles stars or squares, (if squares, was it from shaking grass?) and did we switch accounts or something? You made a one line post and I made a wall of text... :P

My brother caught 3 Shinies already in Pokemon Shield...
1. First encounter in Grass was a shiny Bitbug(the psychic/bug one)...its shiny sparkles silver for some reason
2. Wild Red Boltund in, Wild Area
3.Bred a Shiny Ghost/Dragon

Meanwhile I tried to breed for Shiny Impidimp to no avail...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Are you evolving it into Frosslass or Glalie if you have the choice, are the sparkles stars or squares, (if squares, was it from shaking grass?) and did we switch accounts or something? You made a one line post and I made a wall of text... :P
It's male so only Glalie is an option. Though even if I had Froslass as an option I'm not to keen on their Shiny forms. Snorunt goes from yellow coat with red trimming to blue coat with yellow trimming, very notable color change. However both Glalie and Froslass are only just a slight hue change with the only notable differences is Glalie getting red eyes and Froslass having a pink bow instead of red.

The sparkles are square, which from I read was a BIG oopsie on GF's part. Then again, I'm glad they messed up, because adding another level of rarity on top of a Pokemon being shiny is extremely stupid. Of course, this does now mean Shiny Gen VIII Pokemon with the normal star sparkles are SUPER rare so there are still some victims of this (maybe if we're lucky GF would realize how needless this detail was and just let us customize what shape the sparkles are).

This Snorunt was walking around on the overworld if I recall correctly. BTW, you can't tell if a Pokemon is shiny from the overworld sprite. For some reason they removed that detail from the Let's Go games. In order to see if an overworld Pokemon is Shiny you need to enter a battle with it.

Eh, I didn't really have a story to tell with my Shiny encounter. I was looking for a Honedge, ran into this Shiny Snorunt, put it to sleep via Shiintoc's Spore (though had to wait till it stopped using Protect which it of course pulled off two turns in a row), and caught it in a Premier Ball. I was of course extra careful not to misclick anything, but it was an easy capture.

The sparkles are square, which from I read was a BIG oopsie on GF's part. Then again, I'm glad they messed up, because adding another level of rarity on top of a Pokemon being shiny is extremely stupid.
I haven't heard about the square shinies actually being an error. Would you please explain?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I haven't heard about the square shinies actually being an error. Would you please explain?
Serebii does a better job:

In Pokémon Sword & Shield there are two kinds of shiny animation variety. There's the traditional stars and a new effect featuring spinning squares. To get the different effects is quite simply explained as random chance.

With breeding Pokémon, static encounters and Max Raid Battles, when you encounter a Shiny Pokémon it will have a 15/16 chance of being a Pokémon with the Stars sparkle and a 1/16 chance of having the Squares sparkle. However, due to a programming quirk, at time of writing when you encounter a shiny Pokémon as a standard wild encounter, this is essentially inverted with a 4095/4096 chance of the Pokémon having the Squares sparkle and a 0.9375/4096 chance of it having the stars one when encountering a Shiny Pokémon.

Ever wanted to get a certain wild Pokémon, but had to wait so much time for it to spawn that you encounter a shiny on the way?

It happened to me while I was trying to get both a Galarian Farfetch'd and an Applin: a shiny Stufful came across.

Last edited:

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Shiny pokemon are funny because sometimes they just pop out of nowhere when you’re looking for something else entirely. In my case, I was hunting for HA pokemon to add to my collection of HA mons, when I stumbled across a shiny Skwovet. Was a rather pleasant surprise, after I had been frustrated with trying to get a different HA mon (Weezing, in this case)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Something I've realised when filling the Pokedex in Shield for the Shiny charm is I don't want the shiny charm. I've gotten almost a box of shinies so it doesn't feel as awesome anymore to fine one. I'd rather have lower odds to make the ones I find mean more. I think I'll even

The sparkles are square, which from I read was a BIG oopsie on GF's part. Then again, I'm glad they messed up, because adding another level of rarity on top of a Pokemon being shiny is extremely stupid. Of course, this does now mean Shiny Gen VIII Pokemon with the normal star sparkles are SUPER rare so there are still some victims of this (maybe if we're lucky GF would realize how needless this detail was and just let us customize what shape the sparkles are).
It took me a while to realize you were saying the overworld shinies were glitched too. Serebii's explanation said that static encounters weren't glitched and static sounds like over world encounters to me. I thought just stuff you can't see immediately like shaking/! grass, fishing, and berry trees was "standard encounters" because it's always meant that in every game I've played. (I skipped Let's Go.) Are Pokemon that show up in the overworld from grass (and the few places like Galar Mine where they just pop up out of nowhere) are affected by the glitch too?

As for the odds for different types of sparkles, I think it makes up for making Shinies more common. At it's most common, (1/512 with Shiny Charm and either Masuda Method or 500+ encounters) it's as rare as a Gen 2-5 Shiny... (1/8192) or it would be if it wasn't bugged... Either way, it gives shiny hunters something else to obsess about.

BTW, you can't tell if a Pokemon is shiny from the overworld sprite. For some reason they removed that detail from the Let's Go games. In order to see if an overworld Pokemon is Shiny you need to enter a battle with it.
I kind of figured that out when the Rookidee became shiny. :P Still, knowing that doesn't stop your heart from skipping a beat when a Duosion looks shiny because the transparent parts line up exactly with a Wobbuffet.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
*Doing a batch of random Max Raids while over at my cousins for a family holiday get-together*

*Already got a Gigantamax I didn't have, Drednaw, and almost got some others. Tried to participate for a few like Machamp and Lapras but wouldn't let me connect cause SwSh's online connectivity was made to be as unhelpful as possible. Anyway...*

Oh, look, a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl. *Is able to connect* Awesome! Zamazenta should be be able to put it into its place. Hopefully my luck pulls through this time.

*Max Raid starts and instead of a hulking black hair, green face troll we encounter a glorius white hair, pink face titan that sparkles*

:psywoke:

*Raid goes smoothly and it's time to capture*

I could try my luck using an Ultra Ball...

Is why Master Balls exist.

And now I have a Shiny Grimmsnarl that can Gigantamax in a Master Ball. Yeah! :bloblul:

Ok, so far I have 4 shinies in my copy of Shield.

First was a Square Arrokuda that ran into me when I was trying to EV train a Gyarados. (named Torpedo)
Second through fourth were all from Max Raids I joined, being a Gmax Shiny Corviknight (named Ravenholm) first, then Thievul (named Lone Ranger) second, and most recently a Stunfisk (named Pancakes)

Overall history with shinies is as follows:
First shiny: Shiny Red-Striped Basculin found randomly whilst fishing - White (named OMGWTFBBQ! (i was 12, ok?))
Second shiny: Shiny Phantump friend bred for me in exchange for a Porygon2 - Y (named Autumn Ghost)
Third shiny: Shiny Groudon I got through GTS for 6IV Ditto - Y (no nickname)
I have a bunch of random Shinies from Ultra Space too, so there’s that.

Today I got two shinies while Wonder Trading in HOME. A Feebas and a Kyurem.

Funnily enough, the one that looks the least legit is the Feebas, as it has perfect IVs and the right nature despite coming from Unova.

(At least the Kyurem, also Unovan, only has a single perfect IV)

I remember finding a shiny beedrill while doing the bug catching contest on crystal version. Way back when I was rocking a game boy color. That was pretty cool. :)

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I finally managed to soft-reset shiny Dracovish after exactly two weeks (approximately 7400 revived fossils).

[#882 - Max Optimizer's ❝Drinker Cope❞]
❝the Rank Master❞
Credits for the nickname go to Luna Fantasia

OT: Christophe\857696 ‹

IVs: HT(9)/31/HT(11)/28/31/31 - Hardy (Jolly Mint)\Strong Jaw (Ø)
Ut: Tackle, Water Gun, Protect
Ev'd: Fishious Rend, Outrage, Low Kick, Sleep Talk
[252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe]

This Pokémon was soft-reset manually: this means that no tools (such as e.g. bots) were involved in the hunt for this Pokémon.
I started soft-resetting on the 17th of April 2020 and I finally received the shiny Dracovish on the 30th of April 2020 at 7:50 p.m after soft-resetting for 14 days (approximately 7400 revived fossils).
The Shiny Charm does not affect Dracovish's shininess in any way, shape, or form and the odds of encountering a shiny Pokémon without any modifying factors are 1/4096 in Generation 6, 7, and 8 games.
Synchronizers do not work when reviving fossils.
I finished the Galar Ribbon Master on the 30th of April 2020.

The nickname is a reference to the eponymous American paleontologist Edward Drinker Cope that, much like how Cara Liss restores Dracovish with the fish head at the end of the drake's tail, became infamous for having failed the reconstruction of an Elasmosaurus skeleton by placing the skull at the end of the tail, as opposed to on top of the neck.

In case you wish to see proof in the form of a screenshot, please click on the following link:
_________________________________________​

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So i saw a few people mentioning shinies popping up while you're looking for something else, but have you ever had a random shiny pop up while you're trying to progress the story?

So i did a run of pokemon silver recently and i needed just a few more levels before i was comfy challenging the elite four so i decided to grind for a few minutes. So, what pops up?

A shiny golbat in victory road.

I only had a few balls at the time but i caught it without any problems, probably going to transfer it to home soon, i really hope that SWSH's expansion pack adds the zubat line personally...

ALSO, i managed to soft reset for a shiny celebi on pokemon crystal :)

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
So i saw a few people mentioning shinies popping up while you're looking for something else, but have you ever had a random shiny pop up while you're trying to progress the story?

So i did a run of pokemon silver recently and i needed just a few more levels before i was comfy challenging the elite four so i decided to grind for a few minutes. So, what pops up?

A shiny golbat in victory road.

I only had a few balls at the time but i caught it without any problems, probably going to transfer it to home soon, i really hope that SWSH's expansion pack adds the zubat line personally...

ALSO, i managed to soft reset for a shiny celebi on pokemon crystal :)
Yeah, I’ve gotten a shiny Audino while grinding in the early game of BW2. I mean, it was really the only shiny I could get in that scenario, but it was neat regardless

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, I caught a Shiny Meowth... with its Hidden Ability... that can Gigantamax.

Can you not tell the difference from a normal Meowth:

Completely different! I totally knew I was catching a Shiny Meowth and didn't realize until after the fact and got really lucky the Premier Ball I used worked. COMPLETELY INTENTIONAL!

Was just a random Raid I joined... which suspiciously also had two people in it sending out two Shiny Pokemon of their own. Also, at the same time, I saw that apparently someone had a locked Raid Battle with an ETERNAMAX ETERNATUS. So, yeah, I think maybe some hacking was going on so this Shiny Meowth may not be totally 100% legit (much like how I question the legitimacy of my Gigantamax Shiny Grimmsnarl). But even if their dirty hacks I still treasure them as I do with my Shiny Snorunt. I mean I didn't do the hacking so by all means on my account it was still random luck, yeah, that's the story I'm sticking with. *innocent whistling*

Maybe it's me, but I seem to find a lot of shinies on emulators when I less expect it. So far in my Pokémon Leaf Green game where I choose poor abandoned Bulbasaur I've found a shiny Pidgey and a shiny Caterpie. I guess virtual karma exists.
Same here, first time I ever played on emulator I found a shiny starly!

First shiny I ever found was a machoke that I had no pokeballs to catch. Didn’t really know how unlucky that was at the the time because I was super young tho

Once in ultra sun I was going to the location hunt for a shiny bagon and on the way accidentally encountered a shiny delibird

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)