Resource Simple Questions & Simple Answers Thread

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Partially based off UU's SQSA Thread by Estarossa

Welcome to the SQSA Thread! As the name suggests, if you have a question that can be asked in one or a couple lines and/or answered in one post, please post it in this thread. When asking a question, make sure that your post is relevant to the ZeroUsed. In-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands and questions about Smogon as a whole should be asked in this thread. To avoid any ambiguity, please quote the post you are responding to when answering a question. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.

:wo:

Cobalt Pink

formerly patboiii
How good is Wigglytuff in this tier?
Wigglytuff is a fine mon in and of itself. It has a ton of good qualities and its bulky too. It can get up rocks, provide the team with wish and it has a nice fairy typing to switchinto outrage from Frax safely. Its coverage allows to threaten back frail stuff and just good damage in general especially if you abuse defog attempts for your competetive boost. You should try out the mon for yourself for sure and try to make use out of it. There isnt a defenitive answer to weather a Pokemon is good or not in the current state right now, especially cz were only 3 days in. But id say its worth experimenting with it

Given our limited options for a lot of things, Wiggly has potential.

I think something like this would be its best set, ofc with EVs redistributed (I know there's a way better spread someone posted but I can't recall it for the life of me):

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
Tera Type: Ghost / Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Protect

I genuinely dunno what to do with the Tera type but I picked Ghost and Steel given they pair alright with Normal/Fairy defensively. Wiggly's bulk has always been deceptive but in a lower power level tier its more manageable. This thing's Wishes basically heal you up to full and it can become an okay sweeper on its own.

Stealth Rock sets seem outclassed by Dunsparce whose more generally tanky (and its not as strong as Sudowoodo for a more offensive Rocker). NP's cool in theory but its too slow to work ATM. Specs in Trick Room could be fun (its one of the few non-Psychic special Attackers in the tier after all and its movepool is great) but Trick Room is gimmicky.

Like the guy above said, its a bit too early to make a conclusion on whether mons are strictly good or not.

I agree that it is a bit early to tell, but so far I think that it's decent. It's one of the two fully evolved fairies we have, which is valuable in itself because of Fraxure running around. This is the set I've used:

Wigglytuff (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Frisk
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 SpA
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect

44 SpA EVs ensure that you always OHKO non Eviolite/bulk Fraxures. I run defensive with boots because it ensures that Iron Head from non boosted, jolly Fraxure is not a 2HKO. If it's +1 then it will be a 2HKO, but that's what Tera Steel is there for. This mon is a good wish passer with it's base 140 HP. I ran protect bc it synergizes well with Wish and the T-Spikes that my team had. This was my team's rocker but I do think that T-Wave is also a good option.

Could Persian be a great pokemon in this tier? Cause he has some amazing tools imo, with things like Technician Fake Out and all.

Could Persian be a great pokemon in this tier? Cause he has some amazing tools imo, with things like Technician Fake Out and all.
I would say Persian is good, but not great. It's extremely fast by ZU standards (tied with Sneasel for the highest base Speed period), and gets some really neat stuff like U-turn, Switcheroo, and Taunt, but the lack of a strong Normal STAB like Double-Edge coupled with its low base 70 Attack really hurts. Definitely viable, but don't expect it to carry your team most of the time.

I would say Persian is good, but not great. It's extremely fast by ZU standards (tied with Sneasel for the highest base Speed period), and gets some really neat stuff like U-turn, Switcheroo, and Taunt, but the lack of a strong Normal STAB like Double-Edge coupled with its low base 70 Attack really hurts. Definitely viable, but don't expect it to carry your team most of the time.
One more thing, Persian can steal items with normal gem fake out + covet. Since the tier has a lot of eviolite users, it could still be useful since these mons will lose a lot of bulk, which can open up your team's offensive threats

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What's the best set for Girafarig?
It is a bit too early to say which is the best set for Girafarig, but here are some sets that have been working well for me:

Girafarig @ Eviolite
Ability: Early Bird
Tera Type: Ground / Water
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Psychic
- Tera Blast

Girafarig @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper
Tera Type: Fighting / Fairy / Ghost / Normal
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Tera Blast / Dazzling Gleam / Shadow Ball
- Trick

Girafarig @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
Tera Type: Fighting / Ghost / Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Tera Blast / Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam

What's a good Wish Wigglytuff set? I'm not sure whether or not to use Stealth Rock alongside Dazzling Gleam, and I don't know what EV spread to use

One more thing, Persian can steal items with normal gem fake out + covet. Since the tier has a lot of eviolite users, it could still be useful since these mons will lose a lot of bulk, which can open up your team's offensive threats
That actually was something i was thinking about, idk how prominent and strong its gooing to be in this tier but with the amount of NFE's, i feel like it could be in one of the main sets(probably tho, im not really sure lol)

sleid

vagabond
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
What's a good Wish Wigglytuff set? I'm not sure whether or not to use Stealth Rock alongside Dazzling Gleam, and I don't know what EV spread to use
Here are the wish sets that work for me. The speed is to outpace other base 45 speed mons such as Dunsparce and none invested Gumshoos. Using rocks alongside wishtect and gleam is perfectly normal, but you can also sub in Fire Blast for some extra coverage. I have seen some sets run max defense instead of special defense but I believe this is the typical set. Hope this helps

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stealth Rock

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel / Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast

sleid

vagabond
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OK so now, how can we check scovilain ?
The problem with Scovillain is that it can choose which of it checks that it wants to be able to deal with. It can run Scarf, Specs and AoA sets under the sun. It's number one absorber is probably Assault Vest Thick Fat Oinkologne-F (having no recovery can cause it to get worn down throughout the game however). A solid check for it can be Flareon, but if Scovillian carries Tera Blast (Ground) it can blow through it. You can try to play around it by taking resisted hits if it gets locked into a move with a Choice item. Solid counters like Zweilous and Sliggoo can be terrified by Scovillian using Tera Blast (Fairy). There really is not hard counter for this mon. The best thing to do is figure out what item it is carrying and judge what your team has to handle it from there. Personally, I have had the best success with Chlorophyll Jumpluff. It outspeeds Scovillain in the sun (barring Choice Scarf) and can OHKO with an Acrobatics. Now again, this isn't fool proof because of Tera and you have to be cautious of Choice Scarf. Of course, using Tera yourself to take a resisted hit and KO back can work as well. Status crippling, priority moves and just plan outspeeding it all work as well. You'll have to be prepared with a least one pokemon to check it and maybe another to "soft" check it. Hope this helps answer your question a bit.

how do you play slaking ? i think it's either choice band or AV but I cant tell which is better

don't tell me to not play it, I will do it regardless

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
how do you play slaking ? i think it's either choice band or AV but I cant tell which is better

don't tell me to not play it, I will do it regardless
It's either Choice Band or Choice Scarf, preferably Choice Band to abuse the low base stat total of the current pool of pokemon. There really isn't much you can do with it outside of big damage.

:sv/basculin-white-striped::sv/qwilfish-hisui::sv/sneasel-hisui:
The ZU Council voted on some of the newly released NFEs and as a result Basculin-White-Stripe, Qwilfish-Hisui, and Sneasel-Hisui have been banned from SV ZU. Tagging Kris and Marty to implement!

View attachment 521352
so does "super ban" carry more weight than a normal "ban"

seriously though good to see these three go, in the matches i played against/saw with them they really felt overwhelming

What exactly did they do? Sorry I stopped playing ZU
Basculin had the combination of STAB Adaptability Wave Crash, and a solid speed tier. What Water resists/immunities we do have, like Lumineon or Leafeon, can easily fall to a multitude of coverage options. Basculin could also run specially based or mixed sets to get past generic physical walls. Its basically akin to what Basculin did in Gen 8 ZU just it replaced one stupid Water-type move for another.

Hisuian Sneasel has great Speed and solid power, access to Swords Dance and even Trailblaze, and unlike regular Sneasel, gets access to hard hitting STAB moves in Close Combat and Gunk Shot. Very few Pokemon could stand up to it, such as Swalot, but these can easily be taken advantage of by Pokemon like Grumpig.

Hisuian Qwilfish is less obviously broken, but it has an excellent type and support movepool, and combined with Eviolite and Intimidate was simply too bulky for the tier to handle. Was no slouch offensively either due to Gunk Shot access + Swords Dance, and a solid base 95 Attack. It can set up (Toxic) Spikes with no real penalty due to all this, getting past the few hazard removal options we have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)