SmashPass

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This strategy is retarded. In OU it was marginally manageable depending on what was passed to, but in UU, there's basically nothing I've found that even comes close to dealing with it.

Here's the team I'm using right now.

Uxie @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock
- Memento

Gorebyss (M) @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Surf

Huntail (M) @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Aqua Tail

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge
- Ice Shard

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Heracross (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Night Slash
- Stone Edge

Huntail and Gorebyss both pass Shell Smash, though I've considered switching one to Smeargle, since it can use Spore alongside it and is faster after a Shell Smash. Basically, use Uxie to set up screens and then memento, and follow it up with a smashpass to Mamoswine. There's basically nothing that survives a Mamoswine Earthquake- the only thing that even has a chance is something like max/max Bold Suicune, and only if SR isn't up. Kyurem can make 101 Substitutes and destroy Chansey. Finally, Heracross just has great coverage and does tons of damage, plus it resists Grass.

Honestly, I think this strat is a bit too much for OU, and UU doesn't even stand a chance. Post your thoughts on the matter.

This is definitely broken, its only problem in the current meta is that Drought sometimes beats it. This seriously has to go.

its literally been a day and you want to quickban something. i thought it was quickban not usainboltban.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
This strategy is scary. I was demolished by a Gorebyss that passed to mixed Nidoking. I still cannot believe that Gorebyss (and Mew) are UU.

This might be beatable with CP Sigilyph if you just Cosmic Power the first few turns while they're passing and then Psycho Shift a Burn on to the recipient. That's obviously if they're physical, since Memento neuters andthing else you can do. Otherwise I can't see anything that could reasonably stop it. Chansey MIGHT be able to wall Kyurem but if it does just slap Outrage on or something.

Why would you use Oblivious on Mamoswine when Hail seems pretty common? It wouldn't hurt to abuse an opponent's Hail by using Snow Cloak to dodge, say, Hitmontop's Mach Punch.

ShellPass is definitely the number one thing that I'm afraid of seeing on the ladder. There are so many viable screeners (Espeon and Deo-D work very well too) and a number of viable receivers. I don't know if it necessarily needs a "quick-ban" but it's definitely a top suspect imo.

Lee and I abused a similar Uxie in battle tower in 4th gen. Yawn + Memento is a REAL bitch, we got bellyzard up flawlessly every time (even when the computer did switch). In regular multi, yawn forces switches almost all the time and then they find themselves switching in on a memento or if they don't change, falling asleep. Either way, you're assured at least one turn to set up.

Adamant Infiltrator Crobat can 2HKO Uxie through the Reflect.

Also, what is stopping a something like Miltotic from using Haze, or even Dragon Tail if you prefer?

I haven't played in the tier yet, but I definitely will make a team shortly. So that is just my speculation. But it this were to become a problem, what would be banned? Gorebyss and Huntail? Shell Smash? Shell Smash + Baton Pass?

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The fact that Sub blocks Dragon Tail and every pass recipient just OHKOs Milotic. Plus if you're passing with Smeargle it can just put Milotic to sleep.

hmmm, off the bat it seems broken, however taunters and phazing during the screen/pass stage could keep it at bay. One day into the metagame is rushing the banhammer in my opinion.

passing to espeon also works well as it stops roarers from destroying you due to magic bounce, it's a bit frail though.

but yeah this strategy is pretty annoying. broken? maybe not, but idk

The fact that Sub blocks Dragon Tail and every pass recipient just OHKOs Milotic. Plus if you're passing with Smeargle it can just put Milotic to sleep.
Milotic can Haze before/during the Shell Break pass. Why would you wait until they use Shell Break to switch it in? Things like Cofagrigus, Quagsire, Suicune, and Eviolite Dragonair can all Haze or Roar, or have something to stop the sweeper (Unaware Quagsire). Gorebyss/Huntail cannot OHKO any of those Pokemon with their Water moves, and if they pass they get Hazed/Phazed.

I don't think this deserves a quick-ban, definitely a suspect though. I've played around with it for a few matches and it wasn't overwhelming, and I haven't lost to it yet after playing against it 3-4 times. It seems like baton pass last gen, a really easy way to beat people who don't prepare for it but an iffy strategy for people who think ahead for it. As was already mentioned Haze and Taunt are really annoying for BP, as are chlorophyll sweepers and priority.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The one thing that is sure to beat this though is Trick Room + priority. BUT, TR has to be set up on Gorebyss on the Shell Smash, otherwise your team won't have enough time to counter-sweep the opposition.

hmm just faced the team in the op and tbh gorebyss and huntail are just too slow. anything with sleep move+setup that's faster (venomoth, lilligant predominantly) just shits all over them barring sleep powder missing. also as soon as either one comes out i can go to empoleon and roar without worry.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I just faced this exact team a little while ago, and to be honest, I had no problem with it. I did lose, but the passing itself was not a problem at all. Gorebyss got off a pass to Mamoswine, but I had out a Scyther behind a Sub at +2 Atk (I don't know if the user didn't know Memento had no effect on a Sub, but they used it anyways). I almost took out Mamo in one hit, and after it finished off Scyther with Ice Shard, I beat it with priority. Later on, I KOd Huntail before it could get off a pass, and then finished off Gorebyss as well. The only reason I lost was because my last pokemon was Heracross, choice locked into Stone Edge from taking out the opposing Herracross, and it missed Kyurem. Shell Smash had almost no effect on the outcome.

I can see why people are worried about it, but if it is that much of a problem there are tons of ways to beat it. I mean really, have you ever heard of phazing?

Out of curiousity, is Unaware Quagsire available yet? Because it seems like he'd be handy for suppressing this lineup with yawn and Scald, or even cursing up on them while waiting for the screens to fall.

Other than that, Aqua Jet Azumarill and Ice Shard Weavile/Mamoswine seem like good options, along with Prankster Featherdances from Murkrow. Passing it to use a special sweeper makes things a little more difficult, but we DO have Chansey and Unaware Clefable in UU...

Really, having Kyurem as a recipient seems to be an ingredient that makes smashpassing so deadly.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Uh oh, looks like I'ma start packing Brick Break Ambipom as a lead again. Faced this team and it was crazy.

Why would you use Oblivious on Mamoswine when Hail seems pretty common? It wouldn't hurt to abuse an opponent's Hail by using Snow Cloak to dodge, say, Hitmontop's Mach Punch.
Anyone..?

Also, would this work in Random Matchup? I know it'd only have space for a Screener, BP'er then the sweeper, but their team slots are restricted also and you can choose the recipient depending on their overall team.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I feel like this strategy is just so annoying that I'd rather just ban it without thinking about it. Sure I could modify my team to beat it, but why bother? I'm lazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)