Resource SS OU DLC2 Viability Ranking Thread [SEE: Page 105, Post 2618]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I think Heatran may be worthy of a raise to S.

It is not as common as Landorus-T, but you can argue it is more versatile and potent offensively while it fulfills a large enough defensive role to be considered extremely well-rounded.

The top 3 in the tier are Landorus-T, Heatran, and Weavile without a doubt and in that order in my opinion, but I think Heatran may be closer to Landorus-T than Weavile right now. Obviously Weavile is also extremely splashable and strong as well, but I am curious how people prefer to sort out these 3 and the S ranks.

It is not as common as Landorus-T, but you can argue it is more versatile and potent offensively while it fulfills a large enough defensive role to be considered extremely well-rounded.

The top 3 in the tier are Landorus-T, Heatran, and Weavile without a doubt and in that order in my opinion, but I think Heatran may be closer to Landorus-T than Weavile right now. Obviously Weavile is also extremely splashable and strong as well, but I am curious how people prefer to sort out these 3 and the S ranks.
The order is correct (though I don't consider Weavile top 3) but I don't think Tran is nearly as splashable as Lando-T is. His main move has low PPs and low accuracy, there are Steels with recovery and except Volcarona, he doesn't check reliably what it's supposed to check. While he is still the best Steel Mon, there is some opportunity cost in running Tran, while this doesn't happen to Lando,hence he should be the sole S rank. Could redact more but I am at work and need to pretend that I am actually working :worrywhirl:

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor

hard agree imo, heatran’s versatility as well as its offensive capabilities are absolutely insane, definitely deserving of S rank alongside lando-t.

Heatran is good against everything except rain. It’s defensive utility and offensive pressure are super unique. Nothing else has such a strong combination of both. It breaks stall, switches into various offense threats. X4 resists so many types it blankets ice/fairy/grass/poison and subdues their viability. Etc. it’s very unique

landorus will be useful on almost any team, you very rarely regret it. It also contributes against literally any opponent, due to good immunities and intimidate, at absolute worst.

meanwhile, Weavile is just the OU apex predator, but can be dead weight depending on the set it’s running..

• beat up can be redundant if it doesn’t get work out early,

• swords dance might fail to put in work if the opponent has a toxapex that can easily stay healthy,

•HDB might be good in end game against tempo teams, but sucks against defensive teams,

• life orb is amazing until you get put on the back foot and are down 5-6 with Weavile being forced to come in when it doesn’t want to, suddenly it’s in range of your opponents hits, etc.

When was the last time heatran was deadweight ? Probably against rain. Otherwise you’ll at the very least get an x4 resist utility out of it, and a few switch ins.

When was the last time your landorus was deadweight? Probably against a mono ice team? Lol.

when was the last time your Weavile was dead weight? Maybe it was that time you tried to put in progress against a Pex, that conveniently wasn’t worn down over the game because your stacked team members which all loved luring Pex were also checked by 2 other walls the opponent had .. so Pex stayed healthy. And Weavile couldn’t be used defensively .. because well.. it only checks some ice, ghost and psychic attacks..

-

I once thought Weavile was S. I now think it’s slightly below, on the same level as Koko, which is like OUs speed benchmark, but similarly can have a lot of matchups where it has little utility.

if landorus is the Swiss Army knife, works on any tea

heatran is the tank, good in offense and defense

Weavile is the predator.. fast, hits hard and hard to resist

koko is the speed benchmark, it revenges or u turns at will

ferro is OUs weeds.. hard to weed out, unless you’re running mono fire!

Last edited:

I personally think that the top 3 are all at around the same level now for me. They all provide something that makes them top tier at their specific role but I don't think any of them are like, "perfect" fits for most teams as much as they are just really close to that

Lando: obvious role compression, spdef is like the best pivot in the tier but infamously can get worn down or overwhelmed

Heatran: probably best rocks setter right now, helps with most matchups that aren't rain, forces so much progress when offensive and can check a LOT when defensive

Weavile: offensive powerhouse role compression. It boasts the most valuable knock off in the tier, gets priority, gets coveted ice stab, can clean up and wallbreak in the same set. Even outside of Beat Up idk if it's a hot take to say that I think band is the best set but I think it is lol. Just getting a strong knock on a switch forces so much progress that I think it contributes a LOT game to game and I don't think it's overrated at all

I think that in terms of mons that hover around the potential for S- I tend to think of Garchomp, Clefable, Koko, and Thorn but they just don't really reach the same level of the big three for me

Heatran is good against everything except rain. It’s defensive utility and offensive pressure are super unique. Nothing else has such a strong combination of both. It breaks stall, switches into various offense threats. X4 resists so many types it blankets ice/fairy/grass/poison and subdues their viability. Etc. it’s very unique

Heatran is worthy of S because it just applies so much defensive and offensive pressure.

there is almost nothing that wants to switch in to Heatran's magma storm/toxic/taunt combo.

it's typing and bulk allows it get away with eitherphysical or specially defensive sets and check a lot of threatts.

Flame Body is niche, but can get timely burns on some key physical attackers or u turn spammers.

and even against Rain, heatran still beats ferrothorn, and nothing on rain wants to switchin to a potential toxic or magma storm chip

and of course it has it's niche on sun with air balloon or specs with eruptions that hit like a truck

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-iron-fortress.3701903/#post-9220487

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-621176

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-607864

Clone showcases in these replays how air balloon heatran can just nullify bulky chomp or gradually weaken offensive chomp, as well as weakening down cores of things like slowking galar/toxapex and corviknight and how hard hitting eruption is in general even outside of Sun during the early game, while being a good SR against the most common defogger in the tier.

Magma Storm misses do suck but with Eruption being so useful in breaking down walls in the early game in most cases it's a minor annoyance.

even for things like clefable who can sometimes make heatran unreliable, heatran can run heavy slam.

Heatran isn't quite as splashable as lando, but even in heatran's most dead weight matchup, rain, lando doesn't fair that much better as it also loses to weather balling electric types, while heatran has good matchups against hail and Sun, whereas lando has the better sand matchup but even then heatran is good offensively against sand as nothign againg really wants to switchin to Earth powers/ toxic/ magma storm there too.

I generally agree with this, especially the order of the big 3, though I'm pretty fine with lando as the sole s rank.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ad-see-page-90-post-2242.3674058/post-9010137
:Kyurem: is a fantastic Pokemon with a potent offensive presence, but it is not S-. We just rose it to A+ and even that was not unanimous. The best Kyurem sets are very support reliant, oftentimes requiring reliable hazard control and some assistance when it comes to finding openings against ideal opposing Pokemon. Yes, Kyurem is strong and has stupidly good natural bulk, but S- is a territory for Pokemon that approach staple status in the metagame on certain archetypes, define the tier to an extent, and find their way into the conversation to be integrated on to many, many teams. Kyurem is not that at all. Kyurem is a strong Pokemon that is a pain in the ass to handle when you go down your teambuilding checklist, which is a testament to a great offensive presence and good set mix. But despite this, there are many limitations to it, causing it to only work on a handful of structures, and it is nowhere near as viable as the top 3-5 Pokemon in the tier because of this.

Just because something is receiving support for a suspect or ban does not make it the most viable Pokemon in the metagame or even particularly close. There is not a direct correlation here always; for the boomers out there, you may recall when Deoxys-D got banned despite falling to UU via usage and barely being in the A ranks due to uneven usage during generation 5!
using this post about as an example, while i think weavile is suspect worthy, i think it falls short of S rank because as a breaker its best set requires hazard support, it also isn't the bulkiest thing in the world so often has trouble switching in, and also a specific team structure if using beat up (high physical attack stats required) , making it inherently less splashable than lando who has a diversity of set, but most of all glues almost all teams together with it's defensive pivots sets, and heatran who is pretty easy to fit as every team needs a steel type and he is the best one with plenty of good attributes and a decent number of viable sets to suit different team needs.

Weavile has SD hdb as a cleaner set, but this lacks immediate power and loses some useful coverage or priority. making it more matchup dependent and thus increasing the support it needs.

SD LO is also worth noting, but this has the hazard issue stacking with LO recoil as well as usually losing coverage or priority, so becomes more matchup dependent on whether it can be both a sweeper and breaker in a given game, and of course it needs more support.

however, when given the necessary support, weavile can be a menacing threat no matter what set it is running.

So really heatran and landorus edge it out in splashability, and splashability has more weight from a viability perspective.

93759E5F-14CD-4F81-BFEB-74DBDDD41339.png
Easily agree with this one. On top of being easy to splash on multiple archetypes and checking multiple threats with Flame Body (Kart, Lele, Weav, Pult, Blace) but is near impossible to stop it from making progress which makes it invaluable on all teams. Even with no investment, Magma Storm and EP is such a pain to switch into already, but then you add either Taunt, Toxic, Body Press, Wisp, and even Nature Power on Grassy Terrain, it becomes even harder to dance around. This is also without mentioning the developments made with Balloon Tran which went from solely running Eruption to running options like Taunt.

The top 5 imo right now is
Weav/Tran/Lando/Clef/Torn or Koko

What does everyone think is top 5 or top 10?

Kartana over Clef Koko or Chomp as a top 5 is a scorching hot take and I can't help be interested in what your thoughts on it are. I agree that Kartana is a great mon but I've never really seen it in that light. It having 3 great sets probably plays a big part of it.

If I had to pick mine, it's honestly shifting a lot with the days because there's just so many ways you can think about it but I tend to go

1-3: Lando, Tran, Weavile
4-8: Clef, Chomp, Koko, Torn, Thorn

These are the current top "groups" I have but I can not for the life of me find a way to split hairs and actually order them. I've really been thinking Tran is top dog sometimes, though. It's so hard to explain what it actually "does" cause a blanket check wallbreaker that can also set rocks and taunt+use status is very unique but game to game unless it's like rain it just does so much for you in a game. Even one smart eruption is just game-deciding in a way Landorus-T can't do (given that it's a pivot fwiw but ykwim)

I still think Weavile deserves S though in the sense of it being emblematic of its role as an offensive powerhouse. I'd argue it's the most splashable of its archetype and provides a lot of important qualities and actually has more good matchups than Heatran, but S- or S is admittedly just kind of symbolic

meanwhile, Weavile is just the OU apex predator, but can be dead weight depending on the set it’s running..

• beat up can be redundant if it doesn’t get work out early,

• swords dance might fail to put in work if the opponent has a toxapex that can easily stay healthy,

•HDB might be good in end game against tempo teams, but sucks against defensive teams,

• life orb is amazing until you get put on the back foot and are down 5-6 with Weavile being forced to come in when it doesn’t want to, suddenly it’s in range of your opponents hits, etc.
Can't at all agree with this. There is almost no match up where Weavile won't at least make some kind of key progress, whether it be knocking that key defensive Pokemon like Ferro or Fini or Toxapex, or leaving huge holes in the opponent's team's defenses (as many of its checks have no reliable recovery so the damage is lasting). And it of course has the ability to act as speed control with ice shard. No matter the set, Weavile is never dead weight.

Anyways

I fully agree that Heatran is S rank worthy. I said it before, but in addition to its qualities as a stealth rock setter, it just has so much versatility as an offensive and defensive presence that it is capable of making progress in every game. It's challenging to switch into, and it's very splashable. I honestly don't think it matters that it isn't quite as common as LandoT. The impact and influence it has on and within the metagame is huge.

Kartana over Clef Koko or Chomp as a top 5 is a scorching hot take and I can't help be interested in what your thoughts on it are. I agree that Kartana is a great mon but I've never really seen it in that light. It having 3 great sets probably plays a big part of it.

If I had to pick mine, it's honestly shifting a lot with the days because there's just so many ways you can think about it but I tend to go

1-3: Lando, Tran, Weavile
4-8: Clef, Chomp, Koko, Torn, Thorn

These are the current top "groups" I have but I can not for the life of me find a way to split hairs and actually order them. I've really been thinking Tran is top dog sometimes, though. It's so hard to explain what it actually "does" cause a blanket check wallbreaker that can also set rocks and taunt+use status is very unique but game to game unless it's like rain it just does so much for you in a game. Even one smart eruption is just game-deciding in a way Landorus-T can't do (given that it's a pivot fwiw but ykwim)

I still think Weavile deserves S though in the sense of it being emblematic of its role as an offensive powerhouse. I'd argue it's the most splashable of its archetype and provides a lot of important qualities, but S- or S is admittedly just kind of symbolic
Kartana is just fucking scary. Scarf can easily snowball a game and sd is a terrifying wallbreaker at times.
If you let it get a single ko with the right move it might be game over cause that attack stat is beyond fucking dumb.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
The top 5 imo right now is
Weav/Tran/Lando/Clef/Torn or Koko

all placements are ordered from top to bottom:

BEADEBD5-4781-46F8-A45B-5413BBC34603.png
landorus-t is extremely splashable on nearly every team and is incredibly versatile in what he can do. physically defensive sr setter, choice scarf revenge killer, swords dance wallbreaker, lando can do it all. really, it just depends on what his team needs him to be. you can never really go wrong with lando, hence why he’s indisputably the best mon in the tier.

FCE763B9-9FD0-4E85-9C76-F54B589F4793.png
ever needed a pokemon that exerts tons of offensive pressure while still maintaining a defensive profile? enter heatran, whose magma storm + taunt + toxic combo is so dangerous that not a single pokemon (aside from the opponent’s very own heatran) can safely switch in without being crippled. tran has an excellent defensive typing littered with 4x resists, and a handy ability that turns a would-be neutrality into an immunity. definitely among the best in the metagame, would probably be the best if it had reliable recovery

0B3891E0-4725-44E2-9909-E393D8BBFC52.png
boasting two incredibly spammable STABs in dark and ice, as well as high attack and speed, and you have a potent wallbreaker/revenge killer with tons of potent options. anything that would come in on triple axel would not want to take a knock off, and vice versa. only mon that can deal with weavile is tapu fini, and even then weavile can slot in poison jab on choice band sets to swiftly dispatch it (albeit not reliably so, as that would be far too prediction reliant). weavile exists to come in, fuck shit up, switch out and come back in later for round two. it’s especially dangerous when paired with future sight from the slow twins, allowing it to break past its defensive checks. honestly weavile is downright terrifying to face off against, and a top tier offensive threat in the metagame.

A841551A-E676-47F9-BDBA-88118D3392D5.png
great defensive typing, access to all sorts of utility moves and the ability to wall most of the tier make ferrothorn a worthy top 5 contender. it’s a defensive mon that isn’t too passive when you combine its high BP moves in power whip, gyro ball and/or body press, and can support its team with entry hazards and leech seed. a severe weakness to fire definitely holds it back, but it still manages to find success in the tier.

5738E524-1945-4F75-8399-61BE1095669B.png
phenomenal defensive typing in pure fairy as well as two great abilities and a wide movepool allow clefable to fill lots of roles for her team. she can set entry hazards, remove items with knock off, cripple opposing pokemon with status, heal her own team’s status, wall set-up sweepers with unaware, set-up with calm mind, and many more. she is extremely splashable on many teams and can do anything her team wants her to do, much like lando. although unfortunately, clef’s inability to dent the bulky steels that litter the tier holds her back from being a true top tier threat, but she definitely is a consideration for most teams.

B2BDE486-7744-45E8-829F-628DE9C04EDF.png
to put it bluntly, dragapult is a real bitch and a half to deal with. having access to STAB draco meteor and shadow ball is simply ridiculous. both moves are incredibly spammable on their own, but when combined, it becomes nearly impossible to safely switch into pult without eating a ton of damage. not to mention a speed tier of 142 makes it the second fastest non-scarf pokemon in the tier, second only to the uncommon regieleki. its other sets, such as sub-dd, t-wave + hex, aren‘t nearly as potent as the standard fast specs set, but they‘re still deadly in their own right and fit on quite a lot of teams. its access to u-turn makes it harder to deal with, as it can pivot out of danger and bring in a teammate who’s better equipped at handling its checks and counters. not to mention that its wide movepool allows it to pick from an array of coverage moves it can spam alongside its STABs.

B284874D-B418-4CC5-B0F9-701AE567B661.png
yet another fast, offensive mon with spammable STABs, tapu koko isn’t as strong as weavile or as versatile as dragapult, but it’s still pretty damn effective as an offensive mon. thunderbolt and dazzling gleam are incredibly easy to spam, especially since pokemon in the tier who resist both are hard to come across. if you switch lando-t or garchomp in expecting thunderbolt, you will be hit hard with a dazzling gleam on the switch, and if you switch corviknight or melmetal to take a dazzling gleam, you will be slammed by thunderbolt. and the only ones that do resist koko‘s STABs are either uncommon or aren’t very good defensively, leaving blissey and ferrothorn as the only pokemon who can reliably sponge hits from it, and, like pult, tapu koko can simply pivot out into a teammate who can reliably handle them, like hawlucha. now sure, its specs set isn’t as immediately powerful as lele’s, but with its lower power, it more than makes up for it with better secondary STAB in electric and better speed tier.

281B8A98-22F3-46C6-BB33-F78455C3B5EB.png
tornadus-t is the best defogger in the tier imo, and, like a lot of the pokemon we discussed so far, is very versatile in how he can succeed. of course, you have the standard fast bulky pivot set, but you also can utilize tornadus as a mixed attacker, assault vest user, rain sweeper, nasty plot wallbreaker, and many more. torn’s speed tier and access to regenerator only serve to make him even more effective as a pivot, as he can u-turn out into a teammate and regain lost health in the process. while corviknight gives him some competition as a defogger, it‘s slower and much more passive, making it more of a liability on faster-paced teams, unlike tornadus.

B8549847-A107-4A01-A0E6-690EF63A3202.png
garchomp has always been a fierce wallbreaker, given its great offensive stats, solid speed tier and great STAB combo. however, gen 8 had given garchomp a phenomenal STAB move in scale shot, giving it not only a decent multi-hit move, but one that boosts its speed every time it hits. with this, garchomp can outspeed nearly the entire unboosted metagame (again, except for regieleki) and it becomes even harder to keep up with. while priority can definitely ruin chomp’s fun, by the time it’s finally taken down, the opposing team has most likely been worn down a lot, allowing its powerful teammates to clean up after it has broken down the opponent’s team for them. now, again, it usually requires a speed boost from scale shot to get going, and it gets worn down quickly with life orb recoil, but despite these flaws, garchomp is a threat that can demolish entire teams if given an opportunity to set up

D039524F-0185-4F2E-B0F2-73D9CA4EB18A.png
remember what I said about heatran providing defensive utility while still exerting offensive pressure? yeah, the same thing can also be said for slowbro. future sight + teleport is fucking nuts, man, it allows its teammates to come in for absolutely free and dish out tons of damage, and when combined with future sight, allows them to overwhelm would-be checks such as toxapex. slowbro‘s (and to a lesser extent, slowking) ability to help its teammates break past their counters and proceed to punch some serious holes through the opponent’s team is simply ludicrous. this would definitely be higher if it wasn’t for slowbro being weak to TONS of common moves in the tier, such as u-turn, knock off, thunderbolt, and more. regardless, slowbro is a threat to be reckoned with and teams should always be wary of its offensive presence.

will make an edit that goes into more detail with this when I get back home

edit: it’s finally finished! let me know your thoughts and if you disagree with any of the things i said!

Last edited:

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor

(quagsire is the actual number 1 objectively)
corviknight over tornadus-t? obviously setting aside my bias, i can’t rlly agree with this, torn just does so much other things than corviknight and does it better. he’s a defogger that:

- isn’t actually that crippled without boots
- has tons of other sets such as mixed attacker, assault vest, nasty plot, etc.
- has actually decent offenses unlike corv’s poultry base 87 attack
- isn’t trapped and removed by magnezone
- has a great speed tier, allowing it to pivot out of bad MUs much easier than corviknight

weavile is also definitely top 5, if not top 3, but outside of that, these are all pretty reasonable placements tbh

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
:heatran: > :weavile: > :landorus-therian: > :ferrothorn: > :tornadus-therian: > :tapu-koko: > :kartana: > :melmetal: > :clefable: > :garchomp:

pult is not top 10 and i’m sick of pretending it is.

anyways, i think for the most part this is pretty straight forward. melmetal is a heavily defining defensive presence while being impossible to wall reliably defensively. clef is actually a massive pain for a lot of teams, it’s just a good at being an annoying fat blob. tricky barb literally has 0 switch ins in the tier.

don’t get the weavile hate here, it’s the most threatening pokemon in the tier by a solid margin. sure, answers may not be too too difficult to come by, but weavile always retains some usefulness game in and game out.

now for the elephant in the room: pult. this mon is frankly super overrated and has been for some time now. it’s pretty good but i think top 5/10 for it is pretty ludicrous. simply put, teams are super prepared for pult now. specs pult is frankly bad and easy to wall (spdef drops are NOT arguments), and it’s best sets (band and dd) are pretty fishy. i also just think it is less good than everything else in the top 10. it’s still top 15, no doubt about that. it’s still a great offensive threat, but i think this is a low point for pult. it should probs drop to A.

some mons that got close but just didn’t make it

:zapdos: 11th best mon, zapdos is insane as an offensive presence and has a great defensive niche. it could honestly be top 10 over chomp or clef, but i just find those mons to be even better offensively and defensively
:toxapex: bulky waters part 1, toxapex is still a defining defensive presence. however, most teams are naturally ready to overload and prevent toxapex from existing. while this isn’t inherently a flaw, the fact that so much stuff can beat pex is definitely one. it still walls important mons (WEAVILE), but overall idt it warrants top 10
:slowbro: bulky waters part 2, slowbro is a staple on bulky offense, and has been seeing great usage as a blanket physical check. however, the weakness to knock off sucks so hard, which hinders it pretty greatly from consistently operating.
:tapu-fini: bulky waters part 3, fini is a very good utility pick right now. however, it has some competition with other bulky-waters and fairies in terms of being a fat utility mon, which brings it down a bit. still, trapping sets are quite great and more utility oriented stuff is also good

1. :landorus-therian:
Most versatile mon in the tier, grabs a lot of momentum and stops a good portion on the metagame. I don't use it often but it's splashability and role compression is amazing.
2. :heatran:
Offensive Balloon sets are scary as fuck, Taunt Trapping can muscle past traditional checks like Pex, and PhysDef or SpDef sets can greatly annoy opposing offensive mons with Tran's plethora of resists. One of, if not the best Rocks setter in the tier rn imo.
3 - 4 :weavile: :ferrothorn:
These mons can take either spot, and it's hard for me to decide. Weavile is probably the most threatening attacker in the tier thanks to its speed tier along with great offensive typing and access to Beat Up allowing it to muscle past would-be checks such as Ferro. Ferro itself is still a great mon, getting a ton of chip damage through Barbs, Spikes, Leech Seed and crippling mons with Knock whilst walling like half the tier.
5 :tornadus-therian:
GOATed glue mon. Hazard control, Momentum machine, speed control, knock off utility. Can also go AV - although imo not as good as HDB - or sweep itself with NP Hurricane. Checks a lot threats in the tier such as Kartana and Urshifu, which is fantastic. Top it off with Regenerator so it can keep checking things throughout a match.

6. :tapu-koko: - good speed control, can setup as well with CM.
7. :dragapult: - Specs set is threatening but DD sets are equally threatening and it can be hard to tell what you're facing.
8. :kartana: - Best scarfer in the tier. Can also go banded or SD LO which are both threatening af as well. Speed Boosting kart is fun too, but not as good.
9 10 11 12: I don't know which of :tapu-lele: :zapdos: :garchomp: and :buzzwole: I'd put on the final 2 spots so I'll just drop em in 1 group

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Hi everyone, we think this discussion regarding the tier's current top 10 is really conducive to evaluating how Pokemon fit into the metagame as a whole, but we would like to ask that you take this to the metagame discussion thread, as this thread is meant mostly for evaluating the specific viability rankings of Pokemon and how they fit into them (or if they don't). Make no mistake; we both like and even heavily encourage this kind of discussion, but we want to make clear that it's not for here and we will be deleting any future posts that aren't in the right place. Thanks for your understanding!

Last edited:

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi everyone, we think this discussion regarding the tier's current top 10 is really conducive to evaluating how Pokemon fit into the metagame as a whole, but we would like to ask that you take this to the metagame discussion thread, as this thread is meant mostly for evaluating the specific viability rankings of Pokemon and how they fit into them (or if they don't). Make no mistake; we both like and even heavily encourage this kind of discussion, but we want to make clear that it's not for here and we will be deleting any future posts that aren't in the right place. Thanks for your understanding!
can i repost my top 10 list onto that thread? or would that be considered spam?

Yeah Weavile, Lando-T, and Heatran are all S tier worthy in my mind. As for pokemon that are s- worthy, I believe Torn is probably due for a rise to S- or maybe even S because of the fact Torn is so versatile, is the best defogger, and can keep up with the increasingly offense oriented metagame. Yeah so we should nom up Torn-T to s or s-. as the Bird genie is at its best right now.

Potential Pokémon to add

Regidrago- UR to C- or C

Regidrago's Speed Tier, Terrible Movepool and inconsistency makes it much more niche compared to the other Dragon types in the tier. (Only being able to do Choice Band and Specs Sets effectively) But Regidrago's Power and Lack of Non-Fairy Check's on stall, gives it a niche.
I know steel Types exist, but a Modest Specs Dragon Energy 2OHKO almost every Steel Type in the tier. Which means most Pokémon can't switch into it without either dying or taking over 40-50%. (Tho, Not running Timid Makes you slower than Key Threats like Offensive Buzzwole, Bisharp and Volcanion)
Here's Some Calcs

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 163-192 (46.3 - 54.5%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Bisharp: 335-395 (123.6 - 145.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 179-211 (44.9 - 53%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 387-456 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 370-436 (121.7 - 143.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran: 191-225 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 606-714 (158.6 - 186.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 309-364 (73.3 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(Timed Regidrago can also do some of these Calcs)

So Pretty Much Against Stall, if the Player you're playing against doesn't have a Fairy type (Or The Fairy Type is dead) Regidrago will have an amazing time. Despite having 50 in Both Defenses, Regidrago is not that Frail, and can survive an attack and then OKHO or Deal Heavy Damage Back with Draco Meteor. (Here's some more Calcs)

252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regidrago: 170-200 (31.4 - 36.9%) -- 80.1% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Zeraora Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regidrago: 204-241 (37.7 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regidrago: 301-355 (55.6 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regidrago: 295-348 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regidrago: 374-442 (69.1 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Regidrago: 436-514 (80.5 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Regidrago last move doesn't really matter, but moves like Hyper Beam, Ancient Power or even explosion can help deal with Fairy Types.

Pokémon like Garchomp, Dragonite, Dragapult, and even Haxorus mostly outclasses Regidrago thanks to their Greater Consistency, Actual coverage, Better Speed Tier and being able to run different sets effectively. But Regidrago can do one thing the others can't do, destroy Stall.
The other's Need to use Sword Stance or Dragon Dance to even Reach Regidrago's level of power. when they're setting up, they can be burned, Intimated, Toxiced or Hazed, in Dragapult's case, It's Walled by Blissy and Sp Defensive Heatran.

So in a Nutshell, Regidrago instant power should give it a niche in OU

Potential Pokémon to add

Regidrago- UR to C- or C

Regidrago's Speed Tier, Terrible Movepool and inconsistency makes it much more niche compared to the other Dragon types in the tier. (Only being able to do Choice Band and Specs Sets effectively) But Regidrago's Power and Lack of Non-Fairy Check's on stall, gives it a niche.
I know steel Types exist, but a Modest Specs Dragon Energy 2OHKO almost every Steel Type in the tier. Which means most Pokémon can't switch into it without either dying or taking over 40-50%. (Tho, Not running Timid Makes you slower than Key Threats like Offensive Buzzwole, Bisharp and Volcanion)
Here's Some Calcs

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 163-192 (46.3 - 54.5%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Bisharp: 335-395 (123.6 - 145.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 179-211 (44.9 - 53%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 387-456 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 370-436 (121.7 - 143.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran: 191-225 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 606-714 (158.6 - 186.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 40 HP / 104 SpD Melmetal: 309-364 (73.3 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So Pretty Much Against Stall, if the Player you're playing against doesn't have a Fairy type (Or The Fairy Type is dead) Regidrago will have an amazing time. Despite having 50 in Both Defenses, Regidrago is not that Frail, and can survive an attack and then OKHO or Deal Heavy Damage Back with Draco Meteor. (Here's some Calcs)
252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regidrago: 170-200 (31.4 - 36.9%) -- 80.1% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Zeraora Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regidrago: 204-241 (37.7 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regidrago: 301-355 (55.6 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regidrago: 295-348 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regidrago: 374-442 (69.1 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Regidrago: 436-514 (80.5 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Regidrago last move doesn't really matter, but moves like Hyper Beam, Ancient Power or even explosion can help deal with Fairy Types.

Pokémon like Garchomp, Dragonite, Dragapult, and even Haxorus mostly outclasses Regidrago thanks to their Greater Consistency, Actual coverage, Better Speed Tier and being able to run different sets effectively. But Regidrago can do one thing the others can't do, destroy Stall.
The other's Need to use Sword Stance or Dragon Dance to even Reach Regidrago's level of power. when they're setting up, they can be burned, Intimated, Toxiced or Hazed, in Dragapult's case, It's Walled by Blissy and Sp Defensive Heatran.

Calcs like these were already presented in the last argument. however the issue is they assume ideal scenarios for the Regidrago player ( no fairies at all on the enemy team, hasn't taken chip damage or status or entry hazards). Draco meteor is nice and all but the move itself has it's own issues, and at that point you could have just been using Pult or even one of the Lati Twins, the latter of which are already in the C ranks as it is and have much more redeeming traits, which is something you're aware as evident in your own post. Dragon's energy is just as problematic as it assumes Regidrago hasn't been statused ( bar para) and hasn't taken SR damage which starts to notably drop it's power after two rounds.

Potential Pokémon to add

Regidrago- UR to C- or C

Here's Some Calcs

So Pretty Much Against Stall, if the Player you're playing against doesn't have a Fairy type (Or The Fairy Type is dead) Regidrago will have an amazing time. Despite having 50 in Both Defenses, Regidrago is not that Frail, and can survive an attack and then OKHO or Deal Heavy Damage Back with Draco Meteor. (Here's some more Calcs)

We’ve gone over this already. There was already someone who nommed Drago to the VR and things…got messy.

TL;DR version of why its not in the vr.

Is a liability in games, clef and koko usage is at an all time high, no defensive utility since it requires itself to be as healthy as possible. In a meta where slots are more important than ever, that is a huge problem, and is way too support reliant, as much as Zard was who also got UR’d. No it doesn’t break stall. All good stall teams carry Unaware Clef and Bliss. Not even Nido + Drago works here.

We need a break from Drago convos in the VR, instead why don’t we bring up some discussion questions that will encourage some noms.

What are three mons you feel are overrated and need a drop?

What are three mons you think are underrated and have a valid reason to rise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)