Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

To be fair that is a moot point.
A good 90%, and I'd risk to say 100% of the people who were planning to get the DLCs bought the bundle so this release is essentially "free" as you payed it upfront into the 30€.
People that wait for DLC reviews before buying are still a thing

Isle of Armor reviewed somewhat well, if the Crown Tundra has positive reviews too, people who have nothing else to play in october and didn't buy it before could well be tempted to buy it now

Last edited:
People that wait for DLC reviews before buying are still a thing

Isle of Armor reviewed somewhat well, if the Crown Tundra has positive reviews too, people who have nothing else to play in october and didn-t buy it before could well be tempted to buy it now
You're not wrong, but considering it's Pokemon we're talking about, I'm quite confident that people who'll only buy the DLC after tundra is also out are going to be a very small minority.

Expecially since if you don't care of the content, the "pokedex upgrade" is still free

while i'm sure there's plenty folks that do wait until the dlc is all out before buying I have a suspciision that most sales of the DLC are frontloaded

When the DLC releases honestly probably doesn't matter, anyway, since while November's usually a high ticket month, october's usually not much of a slouch and at the end of the day itssssss still just DLC. Expectations are probably relatively lower anyway and are probably more banking on it spurning on a holiday sales spike for the normal games than anything else.

Anecdotally, I know a *lot* of people who have been waiting to buy/play the DLC until the second batch comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a common sentiment.
Interesting, because outside of this forum I heard noone say it so far (people either bought it right away, or didn't and weren't planning to), and this forum is notorious for spouting hate on everything gamefreaks related :mehowth:

yeah equally anecdotally i knwo a lot of people who either had no interest in it (& wouldn't be swayed) or, like me, bought it somewhere between the announcement and IoA's release.

it's definitely varied based on just, like, the circles you run in.

The idea that these things are front loaded I base just off general trends. Broadly speaking a lot of games, movies, dlc, books and so forth have their strongest sales towards the start of their life. Its why they ususally track & give accolades for launch day/week/month (if at all) sales, and then only mention if the games continue to set records (& generally just in their respective companie's financial reports). Because those things will continue to sell, but rarely will they ever have a burst as strong.

Stuff like DLC packs no doubt see spikes in purchases when new content drops, but it seems like a safe rule of thumb to think that most (or, just "many", if you prefer) of the people who were going to purchase the expansion pass, did so already and those that dont just contribute to a smaller spike that they no doubt appreciate but are probably fairly locked in to their expectations

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Taking bets: At the end of the stream they're going to announce that the Frozen Tundra is available NOW!

Nintendo, seeing how Sony and Microsoft are botching their console launches, would obviously be feeling a bit left out so, seeing that the Pokemon DLC is their next biggest release, instructed Pokemon Company to haphazardly release it. With the sudden announcement it would cause everyone to rush to download the DLC, clogging up the online and causing crashes (in addition a few randomly selected regions would have been "forgotten" thus can't download the DLC). In about 12 hours both Pokemon Company and Nintendo will announce over Twitter they're aware of the issues and are saying they're "working on it". After 48 hours they'll make a second announcement on Twitter saying they have decided to trickle out the release giving a list of when each region will be allowed to download the DLC. They'll apologize, thank us for understanding, and promise next release will be "better planned".

... Okay, jokes aside, actually I'm not going to guess a date. It'll be out when it's out. Convenient for you? Not convenient? Well it doesn't matter, you're not being forced to download it as soon as it comes out, it'll be there on the eShop when you're ready. :blobthumbsup:

Now, if there WERE to add a "one more thing" at the end, I imagine it being one (or multiple) of these:
  1. Announcement of a 2nd set of DLC (which would make sense, it would be around this time we would normally be getting the next games following GF's previous year's releases so having a new batch of DLC ready to preorder at $30 would push all four DLC being $60, a price of a full game thus meeting their game sale quota)
  2. They're adding in a new feature much like the Double Battle Champion Cups. This time I'd bet maybe a few more modes for the Battle Tower, maybe bringing back Triple (& Rotation) Battles?
  3. Though the most likely thing they'll do is just show the new Legendaries they haven't revealed yet.
oh, there was a slight update by serebii...
This news reveal will also feature a new song by Bump Of Chicken called Gotcha
well....okay, sure. I guess they're going to play it over the initial overview trailer, like how the sword & shield reveal had that theme song

Bump of Chicken is a JRock band, incidentally.
A JRock song, so who's battle theme do you think it'll be: Peony's, his daughter, Calyrex, or the theme that plays while exploring the Max Raid Dens? Going to guess his daughter, it's probably going to be from her favorite band that we're totally not cool enough to know. That or, while Calyrex has been waiting hundreds/thousands of years for the destined trainer it foresaw in a vision to come to it, it picked up some few hobbies like listening to alt rock bands to pass the time.

A JRock song, so who's battle theme do you think it'll be: Peony's, his daughter, Calyrex, or the theme that plays while exploring the Max Raid Dens? Going to guess his daughter, it's probably going to be from her favorite band that we're totally not cool enough to know. That or, while Calyrex has been waiting hundreds/thousands of years for the destined trainer it foresaw in a vision to come to it, it picked up some few hobbies like listening to alt rock bands to pass the time.
It...wont be any of those, almost certainly? It'll just be an original composition done for promotional purposes

a likely story!

In other news... https://www.pokebeach.com/2020/09/three-pokemon-trademarks-for-future-sets-possibly-discovered

So, pokebeach theorizes that the trademarked TCG Set, "Silver Lance" might indicate GMax Melmetal. I bring this up here because, hey, yeah. That thing is still somewhat inexplicably not released yet. It's the only thing from the base game unmentioned and you can't even get it by max soup.

They usually reveal the sets for shop guide purposes soem months before hand (to wit: the urshifu sets coming in January were shown off the other day https://www.pokebeach.com/2020/09/o...-single-rapid-strike-master-next-set-in-march )that have stock art of the key pokemon of that set on the packaging.

Thus my theory is this: we'll see g-max melmetal tomorrow. Maybe it'll be a "starting today, there will be special raids featuring the mythical pokemon Meltan and Melmetal!" type thing, or just "coming soon". With it revealed out of the way they're more than clear to have other marketing materials make reference to it in the coming months.

a likely story!

In other news... https://www.pokebeach.com/2020/09/three-pokemon-trademarks-for-future-sets-possibly-discovered

So, pokebeach theorizes that the trademarked TCG Set, "Silver Lance" might indicate GMax Melmetal. I bring this up here because, hey, yeah. That thing is still somewhat inexplicably not released yet. It's the only thing from the base game unmentioned and you can't even get it by max soup.

They usually reveal the sets for shop guide purposes soem months before hand (to wit: the urshifu sets coming in January were shown off the other day https://www.pokebeach.com/2020/09/o...-single-rapid-strike-master-next-set-in-march )that have stock art of the key pokemon of that set on the packaging.

Thus my theory is this: we'll see g-max melmetal tomorrow. Maybe it'll be a "starting today, there will be special raids featuring the mythical pokemon Meltan and Melmetal!" type thing, or just "coming soon". With it revealed out of the way they're more than clear to have other marketing materials make reference to it in the coming months.
If CT does drop in October, then personally I'm hoping the next set of raids is Halloween themed with a shiny Marshadow event a la shiny Zeraora when IoA released. They've released shiny ghosts around Halloween in the past (mega gengar, Mimikyu for spooky cup I think), so it seems like as good an opportunity as any to release the purple gloomdweller. :P

a likely story!

I spent a few hours catching Meltan in Go, flew 1,000 miles from Austin to Chicago to transfer my Melmetal to my friend's Let's Go Eevee, traded to Sword, changed the nature, EV trained, leveled it to 100, bottle capped, and went to isle of Armor to Gmax soup to finally get my Evangelion.

Oops, turns out Gmax Melmetal is banned for whatever reason. Get fucked, me.

I hope you're right.

I spent a few hours catching Meltan in Go, flew 1,000 miles from Austin to Chicago to transfer my Melmetal to my friend's Let's Go Eevee, traded to Sword, changed the nature, EV trained, leveled it to 100, bottle capped, and went to isle of Armor to Gmax soup to finally get my Evangelion.

Oops, turns out Gmax Melmetal is banned for whatever reason. Get fucked, me.

I hope you're right.
I don't want to break your bubble, but since Melmetal is both a Mythical pokemon, it will be illegal either ways

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just hope when they do have the Gigantamax Melmetal event they'll also allow you to catch Meltan (and maybe patch in a way to evolve it in the main series).

Anecdotally, I know a *lot* of people who have been waiting to buy/play the DLC until the second batch comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a common sentiment.
Interesting, because outside of this forum I heard noone say it so far (people either bought it right away, or didn't and weren't planning to), and this forum is notorious for spouting hate on everything gamefreaks related :mehowth:
yeah equally anecdotally i knwo a lot of people who either had no interest in it (& wouldn't be swayed) or, like me, bought it somewhere between the announcement and IoA's release.

it's definitely varied based on just, like, the circles you run in.
:D

it's time time for everybody's favorite game!

LET'S

SOURCE

OUR

STATEMENTS

The release of the DLC content increased the sales of the base games
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...lc_causes_notable_spike_in_base_game_sales_uk

DLC in itself is about increasing the yield of ‘long tail’ of sales, and for post-launch players who are reminded of the game during times in which they have no other things to play
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Sim...97/The_surprising_way_that_paid_DLC_works.php

ergo when the DLC is released matters since it encourages people that didn't pick the games the first time they were released to do so now
obviosly this only applies to those that had something else to play when Pokemon S&S (and the Isle of Armor DLC) where released but don't right now, hence the issue of timing, there's plenty of people who might pick up Pokemon if and only if there are no other big releases around to grab their attention
(there used to be a source here but I didn't like it, so consider this basic logic derived from the previous two sources)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)