Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

With Solar Power, Charizard is more powerful than Mega-Charizard Y (475.5 vs 417 or 552 vs 485 depending on Nature) and can hold items, which, as we all know, helped get Mega-Rayquaza banned from Ubers. Oh, and even though Dynamaxxed Charizard doesn't have Drought, he does have more powerful moves that can break through Protect with secondary effects, like oh I don't know... Max Flare's Sun.
This is actually a really cool combo, and it makes me hope Leon's Charizard has its Hidden Ability.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
With Solar Power, Charizard is more powerful than Mega-Charizard Y (475.5 vs 417 or 552 vs 485 depending on Nature) and can hold items, which, as we all know, helped get Mega-Rayquaza banned from Ubers. Oh, and even though Dynamaxxed Charizard doesn't have Drought, he does have more powerful moves that can break through Protect with secondary effects, like oh I don't know... Max Flare's Sun. The good news is Charizard is always the most broken Pokemon and worse things like something fast with Max Knuckle boosting Attack or Max Geyser with Swift Swim won't happen... Right? :P
I have a feeling one of the things with Dyn/Gigant-amaxing is players finding the most OP combinations they can do. You only got three turns so might as well make a big of a flash as you can.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Uh... Yeah, that doesn't sound breakable at all... 0_o

With Solar Power, Charizard is more powerful than Mega-Charizard Y (475.5 vs 417 or 552 vs 485 depending on Nature) and can hold items, which, as we all know, helped get Mega-Rayquaza banned from Ubers. Oh, and even though Dynamaxxed Charizard doesn't have Drought, he does have more powerful moves that can break through Protect with secondary effects, like oh I don't know... Max Flare's Sun. The good news is Charizard is always the most broken Pokemon and worse things like something fast with Max Knuckle boosting Attack or Max Geyser with Swift Swim won't happen... Right? :P
Setting up vs. Instant OHKOes matters a lot tho in a match, the initial attack will be weaker than Y. Plus Dynamax's power will likely need to be compared against Dynamax bulk, as one player popping their Dynamax will likely be followed by the opponent dynamaxing their check. Sounds kind of unhealthy but it could lead to fun mindgames with the whole "will they/won't they" aspect of the mechanic

Xucrute

mt tchola
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

This is the bag UI, taken right from the website.

The tabs look like:
* medicine
* pokeballs
* in-battle items (X attack etc)
* berries
* Other Items (you can see this on the top)
* TMs
* ???
* ???
* key items

What are the two new tabs?
The first looks like some sort of shiny sphere (maybe items that are only good for selling? Kinda looks like a nugget) and the second looks like some sort of art palette with a paintbrush.
One of them is a Ingredients Pocket, the other is a pocket for the meals that are ready maybe :smogthink:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Uh... Yeah, that doesn't sound breakable at all... 0_o

Yup! In the speculatory meta, Charizard is a B-tier threat due to how potent it can be on sun teams with Ninetales. While it has recently come into competition with Heliolisk, it stands apart with its nuclear Fire attacks and Max Airstream raising its speed. Right now we haven't seen cases of weather abusers solely relying on Dynamax setting the weather they need, it's possible and can be useful in a pinch but you'll want regular setters like Pelipper on standby anyway.

I think Charizard is still crying in a corner at his 100 base speed...

Oh I just reminded Max Flying moves increase speed and charizard would finally get an actual stab to use (since it learns Air Slash AND Wing attack which both would boost up to the 130ish BP territory)

I have a feeling one of the things with Dyn/Gigant-amaxing is players finding the most OP combinations they can do. You only got three turns so might as well make a big of a flash as you can.
Setting up vs. Instant OHKOes matters a lot tho in a match, the initial attack will be weaker than Y. Plus Dynamax's power will likely need to be compared against Dynamax bulk, as one player popping their Dynamax will likely be followed by the opponent dynamaxing their check. Sounds kind of unhealthy but it could lead to fun mindgames with the whole "will they/won't they" aspect of the mechanic
I consider it part of the potential of the mechanic.
It's not as monodimensional as Z-moves or megas, it's flexible and can create some pretty cool combos.

If anything, the only underwhelming Max Moves are going to likely be the ones that debuff the enemy...

Also, special fighting types (and phisical for whatever the type that will buff special is) are crying in a corner. I was kinda hoping the "+ attack" buff would have been adaptive to the highest stat of the user :(

Also, special fighting types (and phisical for whatever the type that will buff special is) are crying in a corner. I was kinda hoping the "+ attack" buff would have been adaptive to the highest stat of the user :(
I'd prefer it that way, too, but there aren't really a lot of special-attacking Fighting-types in the game that aren't megas or legendaries. The confirmed highest SpA Fighting is Lucario which can easily fall back to physical sets if it plans to Dynamax thanks to a nearly-good Attack stat and Swords Dance (110 Atk vs 115 SpA).

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Yeah, there's not really a whole lot of specially-oriented Fighting types, and the ones that do exist typically have superior physical sets. Closest thing to a good special Fighting in SWSH OU rn is Mixed Kommo-o, and even that uses CC for fighting STAB

I agree that scaling is quite a bit messy for SwSh at this moment (though to be fair so is Sun/Moon anyway).
I wouldn't call that "to be fair". Datamining SM reveals that all the models are stored at their proper, scaled sizes. In battle, the scaling is deliberately changed after-the-fact to be 'incorrect' just so that a small Pokemon next to a large Pokemon doesn't look like a crappy pixelated blob on a 240p screen. One could argue the merits of this decision only because the game is still on 3DS hardware. After Let's Go fixed it thanks to being on the Switch, to see SwSh move backwards from Let's Go when the hardware limitation is already gone is a large disappointment even without the [redacted].

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Another glimpse at Galar referencing the tweet explaining we will have some dribble of info over the next week or so. This one looks at the first major town we visit, and highlights the Train Station, the Boutique and the Grocer Shops. It also shows us the Pokemon Research lab.

I'm guessing that sparkle on the rock is a hidden item?
It could be.

That said, I do suspect this area was also edited to hide parts of it (similarly to how they edited the Nessa Gym for the demo), as there's absolutely no Pokemon at all except that Wooloo, and while it's definitely not impossible, it's been very rare to have an almost entire town + all of its buildings completely devoid of human-belonging pokemon doing stuff around in the latest entries.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Another glimpse at Galar referencing the tweet explaining we will have some dribble of info over the next week or so. This one looks at the first major town we visit, and highlights the Train Station, the Boutique and the Grocer Shops. It also shows us the Pokemon Research lab.
I find it really strange that they didn't reveal the name of the town. One wouldn't think that would be much of a spoiler.

An interesting note was added by serebii following some clarifications from GF:

Edit@ 11:29: We also have some more feature confirmation. It has been confirmed that the Pokémon Global Link, which has been running since 2010 in conjunction with Pokémon Black & White will not support Pokémon Sword and Shield. Instead, functionality such as checking rankings, distribution regulations and so forth will be done in the Pokémon HOME app on iOS and Android from early 2020 and the joining of online competitions will be done directly in the game due to lack of need to Game Sync
Firstly, I am glad for Global Link to not support SwSh as honestly the site has been a messy pile of bugs for far too long.
Game Sync is also gone, which was another major source of issue expecially if you didn't have a perfectly stable connection (on top of the 3DS internet being questionable far too often)

I find pretty interesting that everything will be checked via Pokemon HOME. Looks like it won't just be Pokemon bank v2 at all, but will have more features, first one being indeed being able to check the status of online ranking.

Frankly, so far the reduced roster is the only thing I'm not satisfied at (and even then, it depends on how reduced it is - we could very well get as many mons as the first seven generations combined). Still, I'll wait until the inevitable ROM leak to spoil myself and see with conclusive evidence if it's worth buying.

Last edited:
An interesting note was added by serebii following some clarifications from GF:

Firstly, I am glad for Global Link to not support SwSh as honestly the site has been a messy pile of bugs for far too long.
Game Sync is also gone, which was another major source of issue expecially if you didn't have a perfectly stable connection (on top of the 3DS internet being questionable far too often)

I find pretty interesting that everything will be checked via Pokemon HOME. Looks like it won't just be Pokemon bank v2 at all, but will have more features, first one being indeed being able to check the status of online ranking.
That's what I thought as well. With a phone app where we can trade Pokémon, register in tournaments and so on, I'm really happy we won't need to use PGL ever again. I lost my shiny Fini because PGL is bad at showing where things are. Online services used to have interesting things to do, like Pokémiles shop, Dream World and even the silly berry minigames, but now, it's a vast wasteland. I'm hoping Home fixes that.

- Sitting on chairs confirmed :P (I think Gen 7 removed this feature after Gen 6 introduced it?)
- That view from the top of the town over the lake and the "2nd lab" does look pretty neat

- Bank needed a subscription for non-storage functions, so if Home requires the same then needing to buy a Home subscription for previously free functionalities sounds like bad news. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

- Bank needed a subscription for non-storage functions, so if Home requires the same then needing to buy a Home subscription for previously free functionalities sounds like bad news. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?
Home requires a sub in the sense you're going to need the Switch online to be able to use it, which is a subscription itself.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I'm worried about other aspects of the game, at the very least the stuff we've heard on the online front has been mostly good news. The ladder taking a more Splatoon 2 like approach instead of just resetting every season, PGL not being needed for anything, and QR codes being replaced by simple IDs for team rentals are pretty great imporvements over what gen 7 offered. I'll miss Battle Spot Special, but otherwise, Battle Stadium has gotten me excited about this game again!

I'll miss Battle Spot Special, but otherwise, Battle Stadium has gotten me excited about this game again!
Battle Spot special modes don't necessarly need to be gone though. They could very well still happen albeith in different ways (as the amount of usually-not-available pokemon obviously diminished)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)