Votes: 32 20.8%
  • Within the next week

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • Within the next month

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Eventually

Votes: 82 53.2%

• Total voters
Believe it or not, that actually sounds great to me. As an avid fan of mages in all games, I found that mages in TES games were too easy to use, as you could throw a couple of spells, backpedal a bit, and essentially murder anyone. The fact that you end up in situations like that make me happy. If you want my advice (you probably don't), carry a couple of enchanted daggers. I used to do that in Oblivion for the lulz, but it was insanely useful due to their low weight and quick strikes. Once you throw an Absorb Health or some form of Elemental Damage on there, things fall quickly. I don't know anything about Skyrim, but the trailers showed some ice floor spell, right? If you can get some sort of nice dagger, maybe you could use the Frost spell, then rush in for a few hits?

The other option is to turn around and run. Backpedaling is not supposed to be a thing anymore.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The real reason this game is rated M:

It's secretly a horror game. Seriously, I get chills whenever I enter a dungeon at night and there's always that one fucking enemy that creeps up on you and attacks you.

I've kind of had the opposite experience playing as a mage, bothered to pick the game up yesterday but I haven't found it to be super difficult (though it's not as easy as playing as a mage usually is, which is nice too).

Contrary to what Bethesda said I still find myself backpedaling against melee units a lot(at least now they catch you eventually though), but the gameplay of a mage character is a lot more varied than it's been in past entries of the series because of the whole cast two spells at once thing and some of the new spells. I haven't really given all the combinations available to me a good look yet but stuff like the Ward Spell+A nuke and heal+nuke has helped a lot in situations where incoming damage was high while not completely destroying my output. At lower levels I still had to melee some, though it wasn't really getting me killed as Breton with some amount of one-handed weapon development (I'm like 7 right now and melee is largely phased out already), but it's been less and less required as I've played. Cordyceps' tip with enchanted weapons is a good one btw... I had to use a weapon enchanted with a paralyze thinger to get passed an enemy mage that was quite a bit stronger than I was fairly early on in the mage quests. Put the sword in one hand and a nuke in the other and just kept her chain paralyzed while I blasted away with a spell from the other hand and kind of cheesed my way through an encounter that I wasn't surviving otherwise. The magical trap thing spells are pretty cool too, just found a merchant with them recently so I haven't gotten to really see the impact yet but add gameplay variety and the ones I've had used on me in dungeons did pretty significant damage so I imagine it'll be nice.

Four or five quests deep in the Mages Guild equivalent, really enjoying it compared to the same chain in Oblivion, which I thought was kinda tedious with the recommendations. Enjoying the game in general more than I expected to.

Only complaint so far(which isn't really a problem with the game) is how horrifically long walks to some areas are at this point in the game since I basically can't fast travel at all. I feel like I'm playing Harry Potter the Deathly Scrolls Part 1 wander aimlessly across the countryside for 300 pages or some shit, the world is just massive. I conveniently killed some bandits who had stolen a horse and commandeered it on my way to the mage college thing but haven't had such luck otherwise... EDIT: started carriaging between holds which helps a little, but...

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've played as a mage for almost all the MMOs and RPGs I've played in my life, so I decided to have fun with the bow and arrow and with the good old melee weapons.

However, dual wielding a spell in your left, and a sword on your right is pretty nifty. I've really enjoyed the gameplay thus far.

Also: Fuck vampires.

I've played as a mage for almost all the MMOs and RPGs I've played in my life, so I decided to have fun with the bow and arrow and with the good old melee weapons.

However, dual wielding a spell in your left, and a sword on your right is pretty nifty. I've really enjoyed the gameplay thus far.

Also: Fuck vampires.
I've never liked mages or Anything long range, but Thanks to duo wielding I'm actually using magic this game.

I never realised how cool Double wielding is.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
already encountered a few glitches -- one of them preventing me from advancing the Companion Guild quest after Blood Honor. i'm pretty sure the quest line is broken for me now. silly Bethesda.

on the whole, though, it's a huge improvement over Oblivion. i wish they kept stats in (cause i'm a numbers guy) but the leveling system is just fine, especially compared to the trash that was Oblivion's system. the game has been a bit easy so far -- most generics die in a few Destruction spells. the harder enemies require some creative tactics but nothing has overwhelmed me so far (level 17).

Sat next to my friend today while he played Skyrim...gotta say, I was pretty impressed by the early game stuff. Nice early stuff, nice scenery, etc. Don't wanna ruin anything at all, so I won't, but the spell-sword wield combo is pretty cool.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Ok so being a werewolf in Skyrim is one of the best things ever.

Ok so being a werewolf is hilariously fucking fun and damn broken. I recently found out what the werewolf shout does, (the same button you use to activate your werewolf power mode when you're a werewolf), it basically just makes anything thats not a ridiculously high level, like a giant or m'aiq the liar (I think), run away thanks to the werewolf shout basically being a no cost spammable fear spell.

At just level 8 I can make guards and pretty much everyone at a city run away from me, so I'm free to just chase and attack them. I made a group of guards chase me into a house, then I spammed shout and started clawing the shit out of them in a corner then ate them, then I just ran through the town screaming and tearing peoples heads off, then I ate their bodies to lengthen my werewolf/bloodlust transformation. Nobody could do anything to me and since feeding restores health (when you're a werewolf you can't regenerate health or use potions, other than feeding on dead bodies that you've just killed), so I was pretty much invincible if I just shouted every like 10ish seconds.

Although it did have a few minor glitches where a body I just killed with a fatality animation disappeared, or I'd accidently fling someone on top of a roof and shit like that. I think there's some trigger during my werewolf rampage in Windrun where I killed someone significant to the companions quest line and it told me to go look for a job from them, even though I was on already on a quest for them, so it broke the quest line, although I didn't save so it shouldn't be a problem. Was that the glitch you were talking about aamto?

Invincible quest npc's are annoying though because you can't feed on them to regain the time spent to lower their health to 0 during your short and scarce amount of werewolf rampaging time.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
on the whole, though, it's a huge improvement over Oblivion. i wish they kept stats in (cause i'm a numbers guy) but the leveling system is just fine, especially compared to the trash that was Oblivion's system. the game has been a bit easy so far -- most generics die in a few Destruction spells. the harder enemies require some creative tactics but nothing has overwhelmed me so far (level 17).
Going after a Frost troll when you're level 5 is pretty =( though.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is there a way to permanently change the controls that I'm just missing? Cause they reset everytime I start the game.

I mean the left and right mouse buttons controlling opposite hands is just absurd.

Is there a way to permanently change the controls that I'm just missing? Cause they reset everytime I start the game.

I mean the left and right mouse buttons controlling opposite hands is just absurd.
there is a way, it is called not playing the pirated version mate

game is amazing, been playing all weekend, level 25 nord two handed warrior, amazingly fun

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
there is a way, it is called not playing the pirated version mate
I have enough problems with getting computer games to run to worry about cracking games, not to mention the lack of customer support. Why does my retail version not save key config when it saves other options?

I can find a ton of people having problems with remapping in Skyrim and nothing to do with piracy, but I can't find my specific problem either.

EDIT: Found it, Windows 7 problem.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
My XBox is broken, just a month after it goes off warranty. The disc drive no longer recognizes discs, and when I go back to Socal my friend is going to fix it hopefully. Otherwise I'll probably try to get a PS3 on the cheap, because fuck microsoft, and fuck how shitty their products are.

Apparently computer gamers are pissed but I couldn't care less because I personally think games like Skyrim should be as far away from computers as possible.

In regards to backpedalling and archery, I think that when people say "backpedalling", they are usually referring to using a bow and constantly shooting an enemy while running backwards, which is entirely impossible in Skyrim because you no longer run with an arrow drawn. Archery is also so great in this game. It's much less buggy, it feels very realistic, and you can get headshots!

Also, Argonians are the best. They were the best in ES4, and they're still the best in ES5

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ok so being a werewolf in Skyrim is one of the best things ever.
Definitely. I love how you can sprint faster than a fucking horse while you're a werewolf, it makes it so much easier to travel to places. It's not even that hard to keep up the transformation because of all the bandits, and I also love that any wolves in the area will stop by to help you out in fights. My new goal is to fight a dragon as a werewolf.

My new goal is to fight a dragon as a werewolf.
Man I tried this last night, and it was completely one-sided in the dragons favour :(

Cool screenshots? Ok!

that door is the entrance to the dark brotherhood sanctuary, home of EASILY one of the most fantastic questlines in the game; you start it by going to Windhelm and going to the Avetino residence and talking to the little boy inside who's doing the Black Sacrament

i also highly recommend going to Riften, speaking to Brynjolf, and starting the thieves guild quests - the ending is fucking fantastic

okay guys i love this game you can kill soooo many dragons, become a werewolf, graphics are beast mode, and kill cam finishes are all great improvements over oblivion. im level 18 dual wield orc.

That horse pic reminds me of Reddit...

Is it difficult to map dual wield items as favorites? I mad a save file on my friend's account as a dual wield Khajiit (daggers ftw), but I had so much trouble trying to equip both daggers. It was fine at first, until I started sharpening my daggers, and then it took forever to get one in each hand.

On the topic of favoriting, does anyone know why numbers can appear next to a spell/weapon/item in the favorites, and the functions of such things? If it helps, I was playing on his laptop.

And my final note; magic seems really strong in Skyrim. I was walking around slashing the shit out of some wolves, and it was about to be midnight, so I had to leave. Before I turned it off, I decided to mess around a bit and put Flames in my left hand and Frostbite in my right. In 2-3 seconds, the wolf was dead. Whereas my daggers would definitely take longer than that (not by much, but still). Is that weird?

Is it difficult to map dual wield items as favorites? I mad a save file on my friend's account as a dual wield Khajiit (daggers ftw), but I had so much trouble trying to equip both daggers. It was fine at first, until I started sharpening my daggers, and then it took forever to get one in each hand.

And my final note; magic seems really strong in Skyrim. I was walking around slashing the shit out of some wolves, and it was about to be midnight, so I had to leave. Before I turned it off, I decided to mess around a bit and put Flames in my left hand and Frostbite in my right. In 2-3 seconds, the wolf was dead. Whereas my daggers would definitely take longer than that (not by much, but still). Is that weird?
From what I've seen, magic isn't overpowered, people have really varying opinions on it (as even seen in this thread,) some people even think it's underpowered. So maybe you just had good enchantments or a good class, Guardian Stone, or whatever. Also, after making my dual swords Fine, I've had problems where every once in a while one of them is randomly marked as Unfavorited so I have to go back in and manually equip it and Favorite it again, not that big of a glitch though

you can fast switch weapons using the numbers, so assign 1 and 2 as your primary weapons, 3 as bow, 4 as healing and then the rest whatever. that's what i have anyway!

also DRAGON

shh i ran out of dwarven arrows

My XBox is broken, just a month after it goes off warranty. The disc drive no longer recognizes discs, and when I go back to Socal my friend is going to fix it hopefully. Otherwise I'll probably try to get a PS3 on the cheap, because fuck microsoft, and fuck how shitty their products are.
easy fix if problem is the lens of the disc reader is dirty. I had a similar problem where my xbox couldnt read discs, but i looked online and it said the disc lens reader was just dirty. So I looked on youtube in how to open my xbox and managed to open it up with tools and cleaned my lens with a cotton swab LOL. My xbox worked after and i saved myself 200 bucks.

But anyways, I am hoping to get Skyrim when it hits the 29.99 mark which prob wont be till summer or any of my friends get it so i can borrow it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)