The Everything NFL Thread - 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So first game of the season tomorrow, should be interesting. I think the Panthers take it as their defense is (or was? I haven't paid attention to their offseason admittedly) rock solid and I think they're gonna harass whoever Denver wants to start at QB. Don't think Denver's defense is gonna save them this time around against one of the top NFC teams.

I pick the Panthers to win 24-14

and the broncos pre game celebration was soooo boring

If you win the superbowl you gotta rub it in everyone else's face

The Patriots super obnoxious in your face pre game celebration last year with T-PAIN was waaay better

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Am I the only one shocked at the lack of personal fouls against the Broncos D? They hit Cam helmet to helmet like 4+ times after he threw the ball and it only got called once.

They still look good but I did feel like those no calls benefitted them greatly.

Anderson went off though... that was surprising given how good the Panthers front 7 is.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
That was honestly pretty shameful on the part of the Broncos defense, and it's even more shameful that they've gotten away with it...TWICE...in consecutive games on national television. This isn't how football should be played. During the super bowl, the Broncos were head-hunting. Last night, they continued to headhunt with no consequence, just as what happened in the super bowl. I was so hyped for this game, but am left with nothing but a sour taste after so many headshots were just not called; the gif above was just the beginning and the fact that the second wasn't called is an absolute joke and likely should've been a fine.

I'm sorry to have such a great game be tarnished but the refs in that game were awful when it came to protecting the qb.

Is a picks thread happening?
I've been 3 busy this year but if everyone wants to run it through yahoo again just let me know and I can set it up real quick.

didn't get to watch the game last night, but fuck the Panths amirite :^)

yeah he got popped only one of them was called too
slow motion always looks particularly incriminating, but you've gotta understand that Cam Newton is literally as big or bigger than these defenders, and often the only way to get him down is to go after him HARD. you can't hit him waist-level and expect him to go down, and diving after his feet is also a personal foul. while 3 of those plays could have easily been flags I wouldn't have argued against, only one of them (#54 leaving his feet) was particularly egregious and the only true case of awful refereeing. Cam Newton has been getting hit high his entire career, and while it's not exactly "fair" having him have Tom-Brady levels of protection would simply not make sense on a lot of levels.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While maybe the one was more egregious, the others were still helmet to helmet on a qb who wasn't a runner or no longer had the ball. That is one of the easiest penalties to call and is not supposed to be a judgment call whatsoever. Regardless of whether you agree with the rule, the officiating was clearly at fault.

None of those hits were bad and none of them should have been called. Scrambling and running qbs should be treated like running backs otherwise it's completely unfair for the defense. If this was happening against say brady or eli then i can understand the anger, but it's cam and as long as they keep using his running abilities as bait it's okay to let him get blasted.

The rule should be that if a qb leaves the pocket he is instantly considered a runner, if he does that delayed baiting handoff where he is a threat to run he is considered a runner. In both cases the defenders are allowed to blast him at will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I know we got lucky, But that win over Carolina was amazing. With a Virtually Rookie QB and a extremely young defense, I am proud of our team for pulling this off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)