Project Underused Teambuilding Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hosted last gen by: Accelgor, Amane Misa, Amaroq, Eyan, and myself
Approved by: A Cake Wearing A Hat
art by: Accelgor, temporary until we get a SS one

Underused Teambuilding Lab
Hello, everyone. Throughout our time in UU, we have noticed that many newer players struggle to build effective teams. In an effort to rectify that, we have joined forces with several experienced UU players to host the UnderUsed Teambuilding Lab. Here, users can post Pokemon sets or cores that they would like the Lab staff to build a team around. The Lab staff may then reply with their team and the team building process they used so that the client can see our thought processes, and, as a result, better develop their ability to build their own teams in the future.

Also, in an effort to improve all of us and get some quality discussion for the thread, we're going to propose that you guys take the builds we create, play around 5 games on the ladder with them at a decent rank, and then link all replays and talk about how to expand your teambuilding from there.

Rules:
  • Have a one-paragraph description (3-4 lines should suffice) with the set or core you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be. Also, actually have the set(s) you want us to use in your post. This makes the process of building teams faster for all of us here.
  • Do not post asking us to make use of unviable Pokemon. This is not a competition to see how good we are at team building; this is us trying to educate people about what is good in the meta and how to build effective teams. Furthermore, all requests must make sure that the Pokemon being requested are at least on the Viability Rankings. If you're requesting a core, make sure that you provide good reasoning as to why that core is worth building around in the current metagame. Even if only one Pokemon is to be built around, it must be viable enough in the current metagame to warrant receiving the time and effort of our staff. We reserve the right to decline any request that we do not feel meets the Lab's quality standards.
  • Each user is allowed one request per week. If any user is found requesting multiple teams within that timeframe, the offending posts will be deleted and the user may see further punishment.
  • Please remember that these teams are first drafts and, as such, will not be perfect. Edit them as you please. That being said, builders must be willing to take constructive criticism regarding their teams and those who point out the flaws of a builder's team should contribute to the team's improvement in a constructive manner so that the builders and the clients can grow as players.
  • Do not flame people for asking for a certain Pokemon or for being unable to build around something themselves.
  • On that note, you are free (and highly encouraged) to suggest and post the changes or critiques you've made to already posted teams that you feel improve them.
  • However, you are not allowed to post your own teams here to have us modify them. We're here to build new teams, not modify older ones. If you want your own teams critiqued and modified, post them in the RMT forum, not here.
If you wish to become a member of the Lab staff, please send the hosts a forum PM containing an application that follows the format below. Bear in mind that demand for builders will fluctuate based on the volume of requests and the activity level of the Lab's current staff.

1. Be knowledgeable regarding the UU tier and the current metagame
2. Provide evidence demonstrating your skills as a builder (RMT Team Showcase, examples of successful teams, etc.)
3. ~A paragraph in length describing how you build / what playstyle you are best at building (offense, stall, or balance, to be precise)
You must clearly demonstrate to the hosts that you deserve consideration as a builder. If you do not provide enough useful information to successfully enable us to judge your suitability for the position, your application will be declined.

Hosts:
vivalospride
Twilight

Builders:
vivalospride
Twilight
Accelgor
Ramolost
Pak
TSR
Cynde
Juuno
Lilburr
Estarossa
DraconicLepus
Amane Misa
Notily

Announcements:
  • The Lab is currently accepting builder applications.
  • The Lab currently accepts requests for teams in the following commonly-played UU metagames: SS, SM, ORAS, BW, DPP, ADV, GSC
  • The Lab does not accept requests including Pokemon currently undergoing suspect testing.

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
:ss/heliolisk: :ss/flygon:
Heliolisk @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog

Lots of people probably know that this is my favourite core in the entire tier, and I've built a few teams around it - some are good, some are pretty bad. I'd like to see if one of my fellow builders could build a solid VoltTurn team around these two. One instant note is that they struggle a lot with really, really bulky Pokemon by virtue of both being strong but not THAT strong; stuff like Sylveon and Gastrodon are tough and support is needed to deal with them. Hoping to see a good team made from this :3
I also don't mind if the Heliolisk's set is changed btw, Silk Scarf is just what I use but LO/Belt/Specs/whatever else is fine with me too

<Click Sprites for Importable>
Lilburr here you go. Ok so, Qwilfish is a big flex, which is why it's here. It sets Spikes for your Voltturn core to take advantage of and it gives you a check to Cobalion on this team and with your suggested core handling Cobalion well too, it takes the pressure off it being a sole response. My spread makes you faster than Barbaracle and everything slower, which is nice for preventing a Mon like Barb trying to set up a Shell Smash with Taunt. SD Incineroar gives this team a dedicated wallbreaker and a check to stuff like Chandelure and Reuniclus. Sylveon gives you a response to Haxorus, Pangoro, and Noivern etc. but more importantly provides Wish support which a load of these members appreciate having. Mystical Fire helps you pressure Steel-types like Escavalier more. Finally, Copperajah gives you a needed SR user, check to Roserade + Celebi, and a Fairy resist that actually pressures Fairy-types. Enjoy :blobwizard:

Toxtricity @ Choice Specs
Ability: Punk Rock
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Overdrive
- Volt Switch
- Sludge Bomb
I am requesting an offense team based on Specs Toxtricity. Ever since its arrival I instantly fell in love with its awesome design and unique typing for an offensive pokemon. Punk Rock in particular helps it carve a very valuable niche over other Electrics in the tier. While I tried to build around this pokemon, I unfortunately couldn't find adequate protection from its biggest counters in Rhyperior and Gigalith without extra weaknesses. Therefore I request your assistance. I specifically request offense because balance and stall tend to put me off with some pokemon being momentum sinks.

Hey it's me, lazy ass MooMoo.. I'd like to request a team on this big boi :

Copperajah @ Leftovers
Ability: Heavy Metal
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Filler
- Filler
I faced a few times this big boi on the ladder (mostly vs pif) and I'd like to try it. I'd like a team more oriented Balanced / Fat BO because this is the kind of archetypes I like the most. Thanks in advance <o<

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Click at the sprites for the importables.

I used this BO in UULT playoffs and it has been sitting on my teambuilder for a while so I didn't mind making it public. This is a pretty good VoltTurn with some cool breakers like Pangoro and Toxtricity. It also uses the Future Sight Reuniclus + Pangoro core which is pretty nice. Use Pangoro and Toxtricity to break, Rotom-W, Flygon and Reuniclus to pivot and Flygon and Cobalion to clean.

This team is built around Pokemon that are very good but held back by their lack of reliable recovery, which is why Sylveon was intelligently thrown in there. You requested a fat BO or a balance so, generally speaking, this team rather takes patience to use because the best way to play it is by slowly chipping and weakening the opponent's team with status and Knock Off and then sweeping with either Doublade or Flygon. I tried Heavy-Duty Boots Darmanitan with Toxic > Incineroar and it worked well but I figured that this type of balance team wants the Dark-typing to have some counterplay against Ghost-types.

Demon Dragon Moutemoute

Raahel

MANO TENGO FE
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello, I have come to ask you for a team with reuniclus cm, maybe it can be Stored power, I really leave it to your discretion and if you like to do one with AV reuniclus it would not be so bad, but I would like a team with reuniclus that seems to me one of the best mons from the current metagame and one of my favorites

Yo, decided to get into UU. Was looking at the mons and I remembered that Blastoise got access to shell smash this gen. So with that, I'd like to request a balance team with Smashtoise on it with Roserade as a spikes stacker (maybe not if it doesn't synergize with the team all that well). I'm not too sure how these mons fares with the current UU meta as I have only slightly dabbled in it, but, to me this mon seems pretty scary to deal with once set up with. Thanks in advance!

blastoise sprite.png
roseradesprite.png

Blastoise @ White Herb
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Roserade @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Stun Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm

I kinda have dpulse on toise as a filler move, not sure if something like focus blast/aura sphere would be better? I'll leave it up to the builder to decide that lol. Again, thanks!

I would like a team built around some mons that I have never really used, but in my head work well together.
The requested core is defensive Arcanine with Teleport into Specs Gardevoir.

My preferred playstyle is either balance or bulky offense. Using new mons, it would make sense to use them on a style that I feel comfortable with. If the builder thinks that haxorus will be banned, then a post-Haxorus built would probably work better. My point being: you do not necessarily have to take that mon in mind.

Arcanine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Morning Sun
- Teleport

Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Coverage or Trick

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Here you go, 2MuchHax!

https://pokepast.es/2d07d6fb22dd5ae4

This team was built around a fun idea involving Thunder Wave Cobalion and Choice Band Flygon - Cobalion kinda lures and paralyses a lot of the things that would normally outspeed Flygon, like Noivern, Keldeo etc. and gives it a lot more room to work with building. Chandelure was added to aid the weakness to opposing Cobalion, Sylveon etc. and it also weakens Incineroar a bunch for Celebi. Sylveon - which was originally a Galarian Weezing - is the obligatory Noivern answer, since it kinda runs through the team otherwise. The Inteleon is here to act as a decent breaker and means of speed control, and can be replaced with something like a Keldeo if you want but being able to tank a Moonblast in a pinch is nice. Finally, Celebi acts as a late-game wincon and is also the team's obligatory Keldeo check, as well as helping with things like Rhyperior that would otherwise be a bit iffy.

Hope you like it! :>

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
RahelGamer03 yo I got your reun team.

https://pokepast.es/058b37918163b341
Was made with Gross Sweep. Grass Seed Reun is neat because you do better against Incin/Umbreon and dont necessarily need Acid Armor. Rillaboom gets added to activate grassy seed. From that point some anti-incin mons like Noivern and Gastrodon become part of the team. Mirror Coat gastrodon is neat because sylv / garde tend to stay in on it to land a heavy it so this way you have another method of removing it (and toxtricity) so you dont have to rely on Rajah too much. Rajah buffers the match up against Roserade and the fairies also has good synergy with Grassy Terrain. Alcreamie is an interesting pick but recover is a great tool and unlike sylveon doesn't totally suck your momentum dry and with Haxorus departing its not longer straight up 2hkod by Dragons.

Last edited:
can someone build me a team with goodra (probably assault vest), i don't like too stally teams but if you can't do a team that is more offensive i will take it anyway
thx

Reactions: Eve
:rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Drum Beating

So he's finally here, performing for you
Not to be greedy, but I want a team too!

Rillaboom's hidden ability is out, and I've been seeing this mon crop up more on the ladder in response. I don't know what the most popular set is (willing to bet it's Scarf or Band), but I saw this more supportive set in the OU metagame thread and want to give it a try. Monkey dookie at teambuilding, so here I am. EVs and moves adjustable, though I'd like to keep Leech Seed if possible.

Thank you!

ramolost

parfum quartier
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
here u go TMM
:ss/araquanid: :ss/lucario: :ss/incineroar: :ss/doublade: :ss/sylveon: :ss/necrozma:
(click on the sprites for the import)
Ok so heres a quick building process (team isnt in the right order this order is just for aesthetic).
So first i wanted a specs fairy mainly because it punishs noivern defog and it can punch holes in some walls that can be annoying for lucario like milotic or mantine.
The second mon is incin, its amazing in teams like this and it also offers me a chandelure check, since chandelure can in on both lucario and sylveon and punch holes in the team. Knock off is also cool to knock mons like opposing incin or darmanitan.
Then i wanted a rocker. I first wanted celebi but it made the noivern mu a bit worse so i went for necrozma 3 attacks (you can drop a move for moonlight tho). Necrozma is also a fantastic mon with webs,outspeeding most grounded mons and also hitting super hard. It also helps a lot with weezing.
The last mon is fast doublade. It's mainly here so you don't get 6-0ed by Cobalion or opposing luke. The speed is here to outspeed Pangoro, offensive sylveon, knocked incin with webs up and to outspeed most sylveons without webs. I went for some hp and not for the umbreon creep because i thought that umbreon was 1) not common 2) a free sylv / lucario. Doublade can be a scary late game sweeper in teams like that.

I'm also dropping 2 other verions of the team if you are interested, but i didnt worked much on these 2 and those have to be tested.
https://pokepast.es/87468e7024d2eea3

Last edited:
here u go TMM
:ss/araquanid: :ss/lucario: :ss/incineroar: :ss/doublade: :ss/sylveon: :ss/necrozma:
(click on the sprites for the import)
Ok so heres a quick building process (team isnt in the right order this order is just for aesthetic).

The second mon is incin, its amazing in teams like this and it also offers me a chandelure check, since chandelure can in on both lucario and sylveon and punch holes in the team. Knock off is also cool to knock mons like opposing incin or darmanitan.
Then i wanted a rocker. I first wanted celebi but it made the noivern mu a bit worse so i went for necrozma 3 attacks (you can drop a move for moonlight tho). Necrozma is also a fantastic mon with webs,outspeeding most grounded mons and also hitting super hard. It also helps a lot with weezing.
The last mon is fast doublade. It's mainly here so you don't get 6-0ed by Cobalion or opposing luke. The speed is here to outspeed Pangoro, offensive sylveon, knocked incin with webs up and to outspeed most sylveons without webs. I went for some hp and not for the umbreon creep because i thought that umbreon was 1) not common 2) a free sylv / lucario. Doublade can be a scary late game sweeper in teams like that.

I'm also dropping 2 other verions of the team if you are interested, but i didnt worked much on these 2 and those have to be tested.
https://pokepast.es/87468e7024d2eea3
omg this is great ramo! i love it thank u so much. :blobthumbsup::blobthumbsup:

scorbunnys

Don't dream your life, but live your dream. #Bunny
Hi!
1591672759033.png
+
1591672799694.png

The idea of this is that while Copperajah is a Sylveon check (I leave the Copperajah set to your liking), Sylveon offers wishpass and it's a great Keldeo check, which is nice, is basically that
Set of Sylveon:
Sylvita (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Heal Bell / Calm Mind / Mystical Fire (to your liking)

<Click Sprites for Importable>

Lilburr here you go. Ok so, Qwilfish is a big flex, which is why it's here. It sets Spikes for your Voltturn core to take advantage of and it gives you a check to Cobalion on this team and with your suggested core handling Cobalion well too, it takes the pressure off it being a sole response. My spread makes you faster than Barbaracle and everything slower, which is nice for preventing a Mon like Barb trying to set up a Shell Smash with Taunt. SD Incineroar gives this team a dedicated wallbreaker and a check to stuff like Chandelure and Reuniclus. Sylveon gives you a response to Haxorus, Pangoro, and Noivern etc. but more importantly provides Wish support which a load of these members appreciate having. Mystical Fire helps you pressure Steel-types like Escavalier more. Finally, Copperajah gives you a needed SR user, check to Roserade + Celebi, and a Fairy resist that actually pressures Fairy-types. Enjoy :blobwizard:
Just out of curiosity, why does Sylveon wear Moonblast + Cute Charm instead of Hyper Voice + Pixilate?

Reactions: Eve

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Hi!
View attachment 252976 + View attachment 252977
The idea of this is that while Copperajah is a Sylveon check (I leave the Copperajah set to your liking), Sylveon offers wishpass and it's a great Keldeo check, which is nice, is basically that
Set of Sylveon:
Sylvita (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Heal Bell / Calm Mind / Mystical Fire (to your liking)

Just out of curiosity, why does Sylveon wear Moonblast + Cute Charm instead of Hyper Voice + Pixilate?
people were running throat chop flygon (and other mons) to wall and set up on support sylvs that were running mono hyper voice and moonblast gets most of the same things accomplished even tho its a bit weaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)