Unpopular opinions

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay...I'll present one of my own...but...here we go.

Diantha honestly isn't as pathetic a Champion as people say she is. Honestly, technically speaking, she is no weaker a Champion than the likes of Cynthia, Steven, Alder, etc. and is really speaking about good a Champion as the others in the series.

The problem as to why she is perceived as being easier than the others is that X and Y themselves literally feed you many different ways to effectively cheese through the game unscathed. EXP Share which drives you over the level curve (assuming you *never* turn it off), exceptionally powerful Mega Evolutions (like Charizard and Lucario), mandatory Xerneas/Yveltal, Pokemon Amie, you name it. You are literally being fed ways to make yourself blatantly overpowered for the game in X and Y and this allows you to effectively steamroll the entire game without any challenge whatsoever. There are many exceptionally powerful mons you can get ahold of in X and Y pretty early into the game as well (like the Honedge line).

Really speaking, her team isn't really too much weaker than those of other Champions like Cynthia or Steven. Her Tyrantrum, Aurorus, and Gourgeist aren't that much of a threat, but the other Champions have a lot of mons on their teams that aren't particularly threatening. Diantha's Hawlucha can be a bit of a threat in some cases, but I've been trying a playthrough of Y recently without any of the above (no EXP Share+averagely powerful mons for a team, nothing extremely good like Aegi), and her Goodra and especially her Mega Gardevoir proved to be legit threats, with the excellent coverage they boasted in their movesets, and Goodra's excellent bulk too as well as Garde's high Special Attack which made them very pressuring on my team. That Mega Gardevoir wiped out a pretty large amount of my most recent team from recent experience. Only those two wound up being any bit of trouble, then again, with most Champions usually the ace mon is the only one that's actually truly dangerous (like Cynthia's Garchomp-the rest of her team isn't that great or threatening to face).

Cynthia on the other hand is regarded as being exceptionally hard as a Champion, but I think that's mostly because of the weird level curve in DPP and the fact that Diamond and Pearl give you a relatively limited selection of Pokemon to call upon: you're not being given anything particularly overwhelmingly powerful like in X and Y, unless you're using Infernape which is a naturally very good and strong Pokemon for in-game in DP (picking Chimchar gives you a pretty huge advantage in getting through Diamond and Pearl, for the most part). But nothing Uber powerful like Megas, maybe the likes of Dialga/Palkia if you catch them but they have a shaky matchup against Cynthia's Garchomp, and most mons in that game are either rather slow or not that powerful stat wise in general. Even then, her difficulty in D/P is hindered by DP's awful AI (the AI in DP is really bad). But honestly? If you were fed the exact same things X and Y did to cheese the game and faced off against Cynthia with those kinds of tools at your disposal: you could probably steamroll her entire team within minutes as well. Same with the likes of Steven, Blue, Lance, Iris, etc.

So overall I don't think Diantha is any worse a Champion than the rest. X and Y are just way too generous in giving you ways to make yourself blatantly overpowered, whereas someone like Cynthia is perceived as being more difficult due to the likes of Diamond and Pearl giving you a very limited pool of Pokemon combined with a weird level curve and just not being very nice to players in terms of controlling power level in general. Gen 4 as a whole was rather harsh level curve wise. The other Champions seem harder than Diantha because the other games are not as generous as X and Y with what they give you to get through the game, and the availability of Pokemon in most of the other games doesn't give you such blatantly overpowered mons to get through the game like X and Y do. That's my personal take on it really, especially after trying a rerun of Y with avoiding all the easy stuff the game feeds you to make easy modes. I think the Champions are all relatively similar in their power levels with their teams, for the most part, but I think what the game gives the player in terms of how powerful their team can be really shapes a lot of the perception of how difficult the Champions really are: X/Y and Diamond/Pearl namely are two opposite extremes in how generous they are to the players which shaped a lot of the perception regarding their respective champions, imo.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Diantha, Do Nothing Champion:
I don't think people dislike Diantha because they think she's a weak Champion. She has a pretty solid and varied team as you described.

The problem with Diantha is that she does nothing in the story. We're introduced to her early in the story, establishing her as an important character in the world being a famous actress... and then after one small minor encounter with her later where you have a small friendly chat she then disappears until you go face the Champion where, surprise, she's the Champion all along! She only exists to be a final boss.

Okay, yes, all Champions exist to be final bosses, but at least with prior Champions they all did something in the story to show their importance. Blue was your Rival and often had tough battles with you. Lance was a major part of stopping Team Rocket's project at the Lake of Rage (without him you would have never found their base). Steven and Wallace had minor roles but their titles as Champion allowed you to enter locations you couldn't normally go to. Cynthia's role was limited in DP but in Platinum it got a major boost as she goes with the player into the Distortion World to guide them to stopping Cyrus and calming Giratina. Alder was an interesting case as he sort of acted as a mentor figure showing his wisdom, but when it came time to defend his title against N he was beaten; Alder sadly was more a stepping stone to show how strong N was who was the leader of Team Plasma and a pseudo Rival we've had tough battles against. In B2W2 Iris role in the story was minor and they were more banking on players having played BW so they would be surprised to learn she became Champion. Skipping ahead a bit, in SM the first ever Champion in Alola is technically the player though we did still have to battle for the position against either Kukui (the Pokemon Professor who guided us through more than half the island challenge) in SM or Hau (our Rival who we've had tough battles with and helped in the raid of the Aether Paradise) in USUM.

Even in the most minor of ways all previous Champions did something to help progress the story along. Diantha doesn't. However they could have easily done something with her considering her major characteristic is being a famous actress. Lysandre just announced over the Holo Caster he plans on wiping out everyone but Team Flare. You're then contact by Sycamore to return to his lab immediately. There you not only meet up with your Rivals but also Diantha. Sycamore explains the situation, everyone in Kalos is panicking so they need Diantha to make a counter announcement that they're stopping Lysandre. They need the player, rivals, and Diantha to storm the Holo Caster radio station (whom most of the staff are Team Flare members) and hijack Lysandre's signal. While there they could also maybe do a little something with Malva, obviously not reveal she's a member of Team Flare but have her being "held up" with the other non-Flare staff and give everyone false information that leads them into an ambush (you'll get of course and Malva would apologize saying she must of heard them wrong, then later you learn she was simply keeping up appearances as she knows she alone couldn't beat Diantha and if Flare needed to abort their plan she would need to help cover their trail). Eitherway you all take control of the Holo Caster station and Diantha gives out an aspiring speech which calms down Kalos. Then you'll learn that a strange radio signal is coming from Lysandre's Cafe so that would be the reason why you're sent their while everyone else is sent to Route 10 (Diantha meanwhile has to stay behind in order to keep Team Flare from taking back the signal).

Though to be fair, Cynthia didn't do much in her original games but then Platinum expanded her role so maybe Diantha was simply robbed of an expanded role because they never made a third version/second pair games for Gen VI.

Last edited:
On the technical side of things, Diantha internally has lower IVs (story Trainers can't have EVs prior to Gen 7) than is standard for a Champion. Usually a Champion will obviously have IVs of 30-31, but in Diantha's case, she has IVs of 24, which is usually par the course for the Elite Four or Gym Leader rematches in other games (excluding Gen 3, in which they have higher IVs). Hell, this even extends to the Kalos Elite 4, who have IVs of 17, instead of the afore mentioned usual 24. So people who say the Kalos Pokemon League is easier than other Leagues aren't just right based on numerous other factors (i.e: Only having 4 Mons that can be lacking both species wise and moveset wise; broken ass things in your favor like the Exp. Share, some Megas, Poke-Amie, etc.; and so on) --- they literally have lower stats than normal (comparatively).

On the technical side of things, Diantha internally has lower IVs (story Trainers can't have EVs prior to Gen 7) than is standard for a Champion. Usually a Champion will obviously have IVs of 30-31, but in Diantha's case, she has IVs of 24, which is usually par the course for the Elite Four or Gym Leader rematches in other games (excluding Gen 3, in which they have higher IVs). Hell, this even extends to the Kalos Elite 4, who have IVs of 17, instead of the afore mentioned usual 24. So people who say the Kalos Pokemon League is easier than other Leagues aren't just right based on numerous other factors (i.e: Only having 4 Mons that can be lacking both species wise and moveset wise; broken ass things in your favor like the Exp. Share, some Megas, Poke-Amie, etc.; and so on) --- they literally have lower stats than normal (comparatively).
I wonder if they originally worried that Diantha's Mega Gardevoir might be too much for the average trainer to handle? And perhaps the Elite Four were all going to have their own Mega "aces" as well before they decided to take a nerf gun to them.

I'm guessing they didn't do that with the OR/AS Hoenn Elite Four and Steven... or perhaps the Kalos E4 being "nerfed" was a mistake they didn't bother to fix as ultimately it's not vital to the game. I guess we'll never know for certain.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Wait, even post game the Gym Leader and Elite Four rematches only had them with 24 IVs? It's the post game, just give everyone perfect IVs (and EVs).

Wait, even post game the Gym Leader and Elite Four rematches only had them with 24 IVs? It's the post game, just give everyone perfect IVs (and EVs).
Okay, from the games I've researched, the IVs (value is across the board except for Gen 7) of the Pokemon for the Elite Four (and rematches), Gym Leader rematches, and the Champion (and rematches):
RSE:
  • E4: 30 for non ace Pokemon, 31 for ace.
  • Gym Leader rematches: 31
  • Champion: 31
FRLG:
  • E4: 30 for initial matches. 31 for rematches.
  • Champion: 31 for all matches.
DPPT:
  • E4: 30 for all matches.
  • Gym Leader rematches: 24.
  • Champion: 30 for all matches.
HGSS:
  • E4: 30 for all matches.
  • Gym Leader rematches: 24, except Blue, who has 30.
  • Champion: 30 for all matches.
BW1:
  • Final N: 30
  • Ghetsis: 30
  • E4: 24 for non ace, 30 for ace in the initial match; 30 for rematches.
  • Champion: 30
BW2:
  • N (For consistency): 30 for all matches
  • Ghetsis (for consistency): 24 for Cofagrigus, Seismitoad, and Eelektross; 30 for Toxicroak. Drapion, and Hydreigon.
  • Normal Mode E4: 24 for non ace, 30 for ace in the initial match; 30 for rematches.
  • Challenge Mode E4: 30 for all matches.
  • Normal Mode Champion: 30 for all matches.
  • Challenge Mode Champion: 30 for all matches.
XY:
  • E4: 17
  • Gym Leader rematches: 17
  • Champion: 24 for all matches.
ORAS:
  • E4: 24 for all matches
  • Champion: 29 for all matches.
USUM (SM is different, I know that) (all of these Trainers listed have EV spreads of 252/252 in various stats for each Pokemon):
  • E4: 3x25, 3x30 varying based on the Pokemon for non ace, 6x30 for ace, all matches.
  • Hau Championship Battles: 6x30, except Noviern, who has 5x30 in all but Attack, with 15, initial match; 6x30 for rematches.
  • Kukui: 6x30.
  • Gladion Championship Battles: 6x30.
It seems I was wrong about the Elite Four's average IVs in most games (I did some more research to ensure accuracy in the numbers I gave, including into games I've not researched before). It turns out was usually 30 rather than 24 as I previously suspected. If anything though, that just makes the Kalos League even more pathetic stat wise. People aren't kidding when they say they're some of the easiest games in the franchise.

Thing is, Diantha could have been an incredibly difficult champion if she bothered to EV her mons and give them proper movesets. Imagine a DD Head Smash Tyrantrum, or a modest 252 speed garde with hyper voice, or even a hawlucha with swords dance and sitrus. They can't take advantage of your ridiculous shared weaknesses if they never get to attack.

This is really unpopular, but here goes.
I HATE lucario. I really hate it. It gets so much hype by everyone and then I turns out to be really trash, mega and normal.
It isn't "one of the best ten 4 additions" or "the best mega". Power boy the best thing about it is that it i e a mixed attacker. Like there aren't enough of those...

Rant over. Peace out y'all.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I HATE lucario. I really hate it. It gets so much hype by everyone and then I turns out to be really trash, mega and normal.
It isn't "one of the best ten 4 additions" or "the best mega". Power boy the best thing about it is that it i e a mixed attacker. Like there aren't enough of those...

While I can certainly agree Lucario is over exposed, I wouldn't call it trash as before XY normal Lucario have been OU and when XY introduced Mega Lucario it brought it up to Uber (and seemingly pushed normal down to UU). And lol, mixed attacker, like anyone plays a non-Physical Lucario (maybe if they give it Mega Launcher it may be able to have a Special set rivaling its Physical set).

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
And lol, mixed attacker, like anyone plays a non-Physical Lucario (maybe if they give it Mega Launcher it may be able to have a Special set rivaling its Physical set).
I believe Nasty Plot Lucario is the current "optimal" set in UU at the moment due to its ability to both pressure stall by boosting and revenge kill stuff on offense like Bisharp and Hydreigon with Vacuum Wave (or even clean offense if it manages to boost).

While I can certainly agree Lucario is over exposed, I wouldn't call it trash as before XY normal Lucario have been OU and when XY introduced Mega Lucario it brought it up to Uber (and seemingly pushed normal down to UU). And lol, mixed attacker, like anyone plays a non-Physical Lucario (maybe if they give it Mega Launcher it may be able to have a Special set rivaling its Physical set).
The set that gave it the boot from OU is the Special set.

Is Lucario overexposed? Oh, hell yes. Are the spikes in the back of its hands really stupid? Undoubtedly. Is it trash, competitively? Not by any measure. There's too many mixed sets already? Huh? I don't think I can come up with half a dozen mons that are notorious for their mixed sets (excluding physical attackers with Hidden Power), nor do I think I would even put Lucario or Mega Lucario in that list.

Might as well take the opportunity to rant about Lucario's backhand spikes. I dislike those spikes a lot. They are supposed to stab into the opponent when Luke uses a backhand bitchslap, but with that placement a lot of the impact energy will be absorbed by the wrist, causing the hand to bend inwards, messing up the stabbing angle. Small, detachable serrated spikes would make more sense. It also messes up the weight distribution of the hand, when punching, the hand would tend to bend outwards, weakening the blows and risking an injury of the wrists' muscles and tendons. In this case, a flat, smooth plate would work better

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The set that gave it the boot from OU is the Special set.
Huh, I could of sworn I've only ever seen physical Lucario sets because I remember being a bit annoyed at the time when it was found that Mega Lucario having a higher Attack instead of Special Attack. Its "signature" move was Aura Sphere and they're always pushing the aura aspect of it (but yes, I understand Close Combat has it hitting harder and it already had low defenses anyway).

Might as well take the opportunity to rant about Lucario's backhand spikes. I dislike those spikes a lot. They are supposed to stab into the opponent when Luke uses a backhand bitchslap, but with that placement a lot of the impact energy will be absorbed by the wrist, causing the hand to bend inwards, messing up the stabbing angle. Small, detachable serrated spikes would make more sense. It also messes up the weight distribution of the hand, when punching, the hand would tend to bend outwards, weakening the blows and risking an injury of the wrists' muscles and tendons. In this case, a flat, smooth plate would work better
At least the spikes on the hands have some reasoning behind them even in practice it doesn't work, but what about the spike on its chest? Or Mega Lucario not only getting extra spikes on its feet (that look as impractical as the spikes on its hand) but now it's shoulder rings have little spikes! For a quick fun art project I decided to see how Lucario would look like without any spikes, what do you think?:
LucarioNoSpike.png

(I also added some loose hair where their chest spike would be as they did look a bit dull without them)

Huh, I could of sworn I've only ever seen physical Lucario sets because I remember being a bit annoyed at the time when it was found that Mega Lucario having a higher Attack instead of Special Attack. Its "signature" move was Aura Sphere and they're always pushing the aura aspect of it (but yes, I understand Close Combat has it hitting harder and it already had low defenses anyway).

At least the spikes on the hands have some reasoning behind them even in practice it doesn't work, but what about the spike on its chest? Or Mega Lucario not only getting extra spikes on its feet (that look as impractical as the spikes on its hand) but now it's shoulder rings have little spikes! For a quick fun art project I decided to see how Lucario would look like without any spikes, what do you think?:
View attachment 148369
(I also added some loose hair where their chest spike would be as they did look a bit dull without them)
It does look better, but it also loses any trace of its metal typing.

BTW, Riolu, you don't get off easy, yours look like half-assed bracers whose only purpose is to restrict your wrist movement.

Here's an interesting unpopular opinion

I think the X&Y story would be vastly improved if Dexio and Sina had a bigger role in the game

now in part that's because a bigger part for anyone in the story means a smaller part for your four useless friends Shauna&Tierno (screw those guys);
but think about it, they're more closely related to the story than pretty much any of the good guys since they have a direct connection to Sycamore

the same as connection the main villain of the game has

both of them are being mentored directly by Sycamore, the same same way Lysandre was, and in fact as a "fallen student" Lysandre could be considered a "twisted reflection" of them which is a classic story element (in fact Lysandre is a secretly fallen student, their senior even! that in itself should make the revelation that he's the bad guy far more dramatically relevant)

If they where more central to the story and we got to see their reactions to the "revelation" that Lysandre was the boss of team Flare, and since they'd be central characters in the story we would care about them, thus we would have an actual reason to care that Lysandre was the villain

Now yes, both are one note characters whose personalities are that Dexio is the serious hardworking one and Sina is the excitable loud one but the nice thing about those stereotypes is that not only are they flexible but also can be depicted in surprisingly deep fashion
also many many many stories have protagonists with those traits and, since this is Gamefreak's writing we're talking about; have so many examples it would be hard to screw up their characters even if their roles where expanded immensely; their interactions practically write themselves

Heck considering how easy it is to attach the events of the games to them (much more easy than to the main characters, the story of X&Y is really, really detached to the main characters, even for a Pokemon game)
Dexio and Sina could even be made the main characters! (Dexio would probably make a better main character since he's the more similar to Lysandre), they'd make pretty standard protagonists to a fairly by the numbers story sure, but compared to the forgettable disjointed mess that is X&Y that be a huge improvement

Last edited:
Here's an interesting unpopular opinion

I think the X&Y story would be vastly improved if Dexio and Sina had a bigger role in the game

now in part that's because a bigger part for anyone in the story means a smaller part for your four useless friends Shauna&Tierno (screw those guys);
but think about it, they're closely related to the story than pretty much any of the good guys since they have a direct connection to Sycamore

the same as connection the main villain of the game has

both of them are being mentored directly by Sycamore, the same same way Lysandre was, and in fact as a "fallen student" Lysandre could be considered a "twisted reflection" of them which is a classic story element (in fact Lysandre is a secretly fallen student, their senior even! that in itself should make the revelation that he's the bad guy far more dramatically relevant)

If they where more central to the story and we got to see their reactions to the "revelation" that Lysandre was the boss of team Flare, and since they'd central characters in the story we would care about them, thus we would have an actual reason to care that Lysandre was the villain

Now yes, both are one note characters whose personalities are that Dexio is the serious hardworking one and Sina is the excitable loud one but the nice thing about those stereotypes is that not only are they flexible but also can be depicted in surprisingly deep fashion
also many many many stories have protagonists with those traits and, since this is Gamefreak's writing we're talking about; have so many examples it would be hard to screw up their characters even if their roles where expanded immensely; their interactions practically write themselves

Heck considering how easy it is to attach the events of the games to them (much more easy than to the main characters, the story of X&Y is really, really detached to the main characters, even for a Pokemon game)
Dexio and Sina could even be made the main characters! (Dexio would probably make a better main character since he's the more similar to Lysandre), they'd made pretty standard protagonists to a fairly by the numbers story sure, but compared to the forgettable disjointed mess that is X&Y that be a huge improvement
I'd rather Shauna than Trevor, (kid who only really wants to compare Pokedexes) though I'd be willing to drop the entire group if it meant Serena/Calem got more development beyond moving the main plot along.

The rest of your points I agree with, though.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It does look better, but it also loses any trace of its metal typing.
True but...

It wouldn't be by itself.

"Ah, but all these Pokemon still have what makes them Steel-type there, even if it's not visually obvious"

Okay, fair, but then I have this question: so other then the metal spikes why is Lucario part Steel-type? It's whole thing is about aura (or "wave" as its called in Japanese, which is an important distinction as it means they're not talking about an aurora). Lucario's Steel-type always felt tacked on, like they gave it to it just so it could be a tad bit bulkier with all the resistances it'll get and its Fighting-type weaknesses that'll become neutral (infact the only weaknesses that Lucario has are from its Steel-type).

Also it still has those assumed metal rings around its shoulder, and thus can also be assumed the black parts of its body it also metallic.

Dexio & Sina & The Kalos Rivals:
I definitely could see Dexio & Sina having been given a bigger role not only because of the points Rapti makes but also due to how they're integrated into the story opens up possibilities. Due to how it does feel the main character and the Rivals feel barely involved with the Team Flare plot, maybe it would have been a better idea to separate them so that the story with the Rivals primarily stay with the Pokemon League plot (going around to the Gyms, experiencing new places, meeting new people, and improving as both a trainer and a person) while Dexio & Sina would be part of the Team Flare plot investigating the team's activities as the "Defenders of Kalos" (as well as meeting them in their normal clothes time to time, though could even make some jokes where, despite you knowing its them, whenever trouble happens they try to come up with an excuse to leave). Would also be easy enough to get the player involved with the investigation by having them first appear in the Glittering Caves because of Team Flare's presence and acknowledging that the player and Calem/Serena held their own nicely and could be vital help in stopping Team Flare (this way the main Rival could also get a bit more development if they're in on the whole Team Flare plot).

As for the Rivals, they could have had you do more with them in each city/town. Though honestly you can say that about most Pokemon games, even though there's more then a dozen cities/towns in each region you don't really spend a lot of time in them. In most games you get to the new location, maybe do a plot related bit, and battle the Gym Leader before moving on. Some games do this better then others, Gen V I felt tried to give the player more to do in each location than usual (though Gen V does have one of the better stories in the Pokemon series), and some regions where you have only one Rival it's not really needed. But when you have FOUR Rivals trying to all equally get screen time they could have had side story moments where you just hang out with your Rivals in this new location and see what it has to offer. "Ugh, but that would make the game drag when some players would just want to move on with the story". Well that is a problem and the obvious solution would be making the side story optional, the Rival tells you where they'll be so you know where to go if you want to do them and if you try to leave to the next bit of progression you're warned that continuing forward would make you miss out on these side story moments (they could even make this effect how characters act towards you, either because you had less opportunity to build up your friendship or because you left them hanging).

I really wish they'd give us a random selection of legendaries. Right now it seems to be that we get the new ones introduced in that generation and nothing else, and the selection feels very sparse, or we get every legendary that has ever existed, and the narrative quality of the encounters really suffers for it.

I guess part of this is the pentagon/clover rule and the now seemingly regular VGC format where they allow two ubers, so they have to make sure all the ubers exist in the current gen. But would it really be a bad thing if they mixed that up with a more limited selection, so we get, say, Reshiram and Dialga but not Xerneas or the Hoenn trio?

I really wish they'd give us a random selection of legendaries. Right now it seems to be that we get the new ones introduced in that generation and nothing else, and the selection feels very sparse, or we get every legendary that has ever existed, and the narrative quality of the encounters really suffers for it.

I guess part of this is the pentagon/clover rule and the now seemingly regular VGC format where they allow two ubers, so they have to make sure all the ubers exist in the current gen. But would it really be a bad thing if they mixed that up with a more limited selection, so we get, say, Reshiram and Dialga but not Xerneas or the Hoenn trio?
Sorry, but its solely for VGC and its clover rule. I personally would like better execution than just randomly just going into a tunnel and hoping there's a legendary at the end, only for it to be the wrong legendary and thus repeating the process again and again.

I actually like Maxie and Archie a lot. Not because I think their goals are smart; they are indeed dumb, but I like how they actually feel remorseful for their plans, and actually admit they are wrong. They actually acknowledge there errors, and that's quite rare among core series villains ( with Guzma only being the other notable example. ) with some of the side series being groups like Pokemon Pinchers being the other few. So.. What I'm trying to say... I can see why people dislike them.. But I dislike that people hate them for being the worst, even when there are much worse Villains, like Lysandre who refuses player's offer of friendship.

Here's another unpopular opinion, not mine, but one of my friends. So essentially it goes like this: Pokemon X and Y was harder than ORAS. Sure, you've got higher levels. But, the Elite four have 4 Pokemon rosters and there are too many opportunities to grind. On top of that, Diantha is just a weakling. Not only is her team weak to the type that was JUST ADDED TO THE GAME AND THEREFORE THE TYPE EVERYONE WILL BE USING her only counter to it is weak to fairy itself. Finally, the final fight in X and Y is laughable. 3 level 60s? Compare that to my nightmare: U-turn fast Swellow.

Finally, the final fight in X and Y is laughable.
It's supposed to be. If I remember correctly, it's one of the few fights in the game which doesn't actually track whether you won or not. The guy you fight hasn't had a battle in literal millennia and doesn't have his ace Pokemon.

I thought it was a nice post-credits surprise, being the first time in the series they'd done that. (Now it's like a Marvel post-credit scene, everyone expects it)

It's supposed to be. If I remember correctly, it's one of the few fights in the game which doesn't actually track whether you won or not. The guy you fight hasn't had a battle in literal millennia and doesn't have his ace Pokemon.

I thought it was a nice post-credits surprise, being the first time in the series they'd done that. (Now it's like a Marvel post-credit scene, everyone expects it)
i think ORAS did that but the fight is harder. Just sayin' , ya know?

Yeah agreed. Also, as I’m sure basically everyone knows, the Pokémon used by AZ all have some kind of ancient connection or represent longevity (bit of a stretch for Torkoal but tortoises live for a pretty long time so ehhh), which is pretty neat.

You’re the newly crowned Champion, so I think it makes sense to have a battle that you’re unlikely to find super difficult, because you’ve already had your moment of triumph and not everything has to be about you.

Although it wasn’t covered super deeply and got a bit lost among the parts of XY I liked less, AZ’s backstory was pretty poignant, so having his arc end with that battle and the return of his Floette was a nice way to cap things off imo.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)