VGC 2013 Regional Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy at the Colorado Springs spring regional this year got DQ'd for putting Heat Wave on a Gen 3 Zapdos. I can't tell you if he hacked or not, though, but considering it's legal (import Zapdos from Gen 3 to Gen 4, teach Heat Wave, import to Gen 5), it was likely a hack.
One of 2 things happen when somebody gets DQ'd after hack check:

1.The software gives a false reading of a hack (See also MattJ's Weavile)
2.They hacked their pokemon and when people ask why they make up a bull-crap excuse to avoid ridicule for hacking.

Ah, good, I don't have to speed through BW2 then and farm for shards extremely quickly.

This also gives me a better chance at everyone performing well, seeing as how this metagame has been so drilled into our heads now.

I hope the rules are the same thats the way im working on my team. I have a really good trick up my sleeve(That doesn't involve cheating)

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I can tell you with absolute certainty that if a Zapdos with Heat Wave was DQ'd by the hack check, it's because it was badly hacked in some other way, not because it came from a BW2 tutor. I'm going to reiterate: BW2 tutors are legitimate means of teaching a move, so long as the move is a tutor in 4th gen AND is taught to a Pokemon that arrived via Poketransfer.

Just DO NOT put HGSSDPPt tutors on Pokémon that were bred or caught in 5th gen, even if it would be a legal combo from the same Pokémon caught in 4th gen. That is what will get you DQ'd.
This is really all that needs to be said, let's stop discussing the hack check now.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just play it safe - if TPCi makes their official rules post and says that nothing from BW2 is allowed, then just don't use ANYTHING from BW2. Pretend the game doesn't exist like we carried on for VGC 12. We don't know if they're going to explicitly ban BW2 at this point, but if you're preparing a team now it's best to plan that BW2 will NOT be included in any way or form, so go by that.

The only time BW2 stuff will be okay is in this instance:
I'm going to reiterate: BW2 tutors are legitimate means of teaching a move, so long as the move is a tutor in 4th gen AND is taught to a Pokemon that arrived via Poketransfer.

Just DO NOT put HGSSDPPt tutors on Pokémon that were bred or caught in 5th gen, even if it would be a legal combo from the same Pokémon caught in 4th gen. That is what will get you DQ'd.
It's one thing to discuss the legitimate fear of using stuff from BW2, but discussing why that Zapdos user got DQ'd because of the hack check is the discussion that needs to stop.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
So then, if October regionals are just going to be VGC2012 rules, have there been any significant additions since the June Nationals? I seem to recall some Dreamworld abilities have been made legal with the introduction of the Icy Cave, like Contrary Shuckle, Thick Fat Mamoswine, and Pick Pocket Weavile. Actually Thick Fat Mamoswine was already legal, but now it's breedable and can learn Ice Shard.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So then, if October regionals are just going to be VGC2012 rules, have there been any significant additions since the June Nationals? I seem to recall some Dreamworld abilities have been made legal with the introduction of the Icy Cave, like Contrary Shuckle, Thick Fat Mamoswine, and Pick Pocket Weavile. Actually Thick Fat Mamoswine was already legal, but now it's breedable and can learn Ice Shard.
Rough Skin Garchomp and Sheer Force Rampardos could be useful too. Especially the former considering how common Garchomp is, and it means it now has an ability that benefits it outside of sand; even if it's a minor benefit.

[EDIT] Sprocket is correct, Unnerve Haxorus would be illegal.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I don't believe Unnerve Haxorus is legal in VGC2012 considering it requires BW2 to unlock.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
TPCI has explicitly banned anything BW2 in the Fall regionals so, you know, don't do it. Winter and Spring, however, will be BW2 exclusive.

Source.

This announcement tells us nothing other than the fact we won't be playing the same '12 metagame for another year, the announcement is vague enough for it to be simply '12+BW2 additions to a completely different ruleset altogether.

evan

Bunch of new information in the update to that previous post including byes at regionals and the first look at what the Euro circuit might look like.

I don't really like this. The only regionals I can make it to is the fall, besides I was looking forward to the BW2 VGC. :/

Anyone know when they will tell us the rules for 2013 because it only a little over 2 month away from the january tournament so they should tell us really soon to give us time to prepare. Also I think its going to be every pokemon except the legendaries that can only be obtain through events.

Just be patient. Trust me, the rules will be up here as soon as they're announced.
Until we get word from TPCi regarding B/W 2 move tutors, is it ok for some sites to giving us a rough idea regarding said official rules for the Winter regionals?

For example, I visited Florida's event site (or, if you don't like link-clicking, sections in question in bold italic:

floridapokemon.com said:
January 20, 2013 Sunday: Video Game Championship
Registration: Juniors and Seniors 9:00-9:30am Masters: 10:00-11:00 am
Format: Modified
Entry: Free
Prizes:
Prizes are awarded to the top players in each of three age divisions.
All participants will receive 3 Play! Points, and a Pokémon Regional Championships promo card (while supplies last), just for playing!
1st Place
· A Pokémon VG Regional Championships 1st Place award
· ATravel Award(including a parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2013 U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana*
· A first-round bye at the U.S. National Championships**
· 120 Championship Points
2nd Place
· A Pokémon VG Regional Championships 2nd Place award
· ATravel Stipendof $500 forJunior and Senior Division finalists, collected on site at the National Championships. Valid ID will be required to collect your stipend.
· ATravel Stipendof $300 forMasters Division finalists, collected on site at the National Championships. Valid ID will be required to collect your stipend.
· A first- round bye at the U.S. National Championships**
· 110 Championship Points (if division attendance is 4 or greater)
3rd & 4th Place
· ATravel Stipendof $500 forJunior and Senior Division semi-finalists, collected on site at the National Championships. Valid ID will be required to collect your stipend.
· A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 3rd or 4th Place award
· 90 Championship Points (if division attendance is 8 or greater)
5th Place through 8th Place
· 70 Championship Points(if division attendance is 32 or greater)
9th Place through 12th Place
· 50 Championship Points (if division attendance is 64 or greater)
13th Place through 16th Place
· 40 Championship Points (if division attendance is 64 or greater)
17th Place through 32nd Place
· 20 Championship Points (if division attendance is 128 or greater)
33rd Place through 64th Place
· 10 Championship Point (if division attendance is 256 or greater)
* Travel awards and byes are awarded to the winning player and are awarded to the U.S. National Championships. A Canadian player is therefore eligible to win a travel award to the U.S. National Championships, as there is no Video Game Nationals in Canada in 2013.
** Byes do not “stack.” If you have won a bye in another event such as the S/P/T Championship and finish in the top 2 of a Regional Championship, you will receive a maximum first- and second-round bye at your National Championships.
† Travel awards do not “stack.” If you have won a travel award at a previous Regional Championships event, the travel award will pass down to the next eligible player. If there is a stipend awarded to the player who the travel award is passed to, that stipend will instead be awarded to the player the travel award was passed down from. TravelstipendsDO stack, meaning that a player may earn multiple travel stipends.

Video Game Championship Rules
Black and White 1 and 2 are allowed
The following Pokémon may not be on a player’s team:
o 150 – Mewtwo
o 151 – Mew
o 249 – Lugia
o 250 – Ho-Oh
o 251 – Celebi
o 382 – Kyogre
o 383 – Groudon
o 384 – Rayquaza
o 385 – Jirachi
o 386 – Deoxys
o 483 – Dialga
o 484 – Palkia
o 487 – Giratina
o 489 – Phione
o 490 – Manaphy
o 491 – Darkrai
o 492 – Shaymin
o 493 – Arceus
o 494 – Victini
o 643 – Reshiram
o 644 – Zekrom
o 646 – Kyurem
 Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
 Pokémon above level 50 are permitted, but they are auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration of
battle.
 Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities that have been officially released via Pokémon
Black Version and Pokémon White Version, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or
promotion.
 Pokémon may not know the moves Sky Drop or Dark Void.
 Players may use items that have been officially released via Pokémon Black Version and
Pokémon White Version, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion.
 The Wonder Launcher cannot be used during battle.
Video Game Championship Prizes

Hotel Information
Booking Information
Parking $6.00 for a day or $10,00 for overnight. Once you park please take your ticket to Valet to get in and out privileges.
), and I am shocked that, assuming that the site holds true on bottom, B/W 1 AND B/W 2 BOTH would be allowed as eligible VGC 2013 carts. If that is the case, I wonder if that still means, just for the sake of equalizing B/W 2 with their preceding B/W 1 cousins, no B/W 2 tutors or Therian(s) would be allowed, but B/W 2 carts are allowed otherwise?

^ Is that an acceptable rough idea, at minimum?

^ If so, and if the rough idea holds to be set in stone for VGC 2013, then I imagine that the Winter regionals' rules would be the same as the Fall's, only w/o the need to trade your pokemon from a B/W 2 cart to a B/W 1 cart before battle box registration just to allow it to get in the action, and that those same rules likely would be applied to the Spring regionals as well, in contrast to the B/W 2's Beginning Cup VGC rumors I see on the Internet recently. Thus, if it holds true, I interpret VGC 2013's rules as a mixed bag of sorts... Then again, is it still too soon as the rules regarding B/W 2 move tutors are still not made official by TPCi's confirmation powers, or am I missing something, and/or was an accidental leak found?

I think that page is mostly for local leagues and probably doesn't have an inside scoop on official rules. On the other hand, if it's true, then groan.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm certain the new tutors will be allowed, because it wouldn't make any sense not to. What we don't know yet is what Pokémon will be allowed - while the standard GBU metagame is most likely, we've also seen a variety of other possibilities from the Japanese tournaments, most notably the Beginning and All-Star Cups. So I wouldn't count anything out until we hear it from an official source.

evan

Those are not the official rules. What they represent is basically a starting point for any future rules for the most part. Also, if both BW1 and BW2 carts will be allowed, that would be a complete 180 from previous official word we have received from TPCI which says:

tpci said:
“The upcoming Fall Regionals will not allow Black and White 2 moves, move sets or cartridges. However, future Regionals will be Black and White 2 exclusive."
As soon as complete rules are announced, you will know.

^Thank you. As I said, we just need to be patient.

(Though TPCi needs to hurry up, as winter regs are about two months away.)

Still, no news on Europian dates?

I can only find American dates for this VGC :(.
I think you need to wait until january-february of next year for such info, according to a bulbapedia member:

Joshawott(from bulbapedia) said:
I'm still patiently waiting for the European dates to be announced (I imagine they will be around May-June 2013). Apparently, they're changing the way the EU events are conducted. Before, it was simply a national qualifier that led to Worlds invitations, but now we've been told that TPCi are adding in an extra 2 tournaments.

^ source <-- here

Well that would be good news for us european ! I'm kind of tired of the single elimination/single tournament mechanism.

yer a new system would be good but the dates if they put the event later would not be due to exams and things like that for most of the people competing!!!!!

evan

Rules for the remainder of the 2013 season are live.

Nugget Bridge said:
The moment you have awaited has arrived! We’ve just got a heads up on the ruleset before it goes live on the official website. As we’ve long predicted, the format will use the same ruleset as the Global Battle Union and like we reported earlier only Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 game cards will be allowed. This will ensure that you see the Therian formes of Landorus, Tornadus, and Thundurus. You will also notice that Chatot is banned to mirror the GBU ruleset more closely. RIP Chatot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)