VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I see, I see. One zen headbutt/drill peck/hurricane is all it takes. Sorry about that, I didn't catch that part of his message.
The problem with Zapdos and Thundurus is not really the flying attacks (since they will only have HP flying at best, and you surivive a hit), the problem is that Hitmontop can't do much damage to them as they'll easily shrug off your Close Combats and don't care about Intimidate. Besides, Thundurus can't learn Hurricane, and Zapdos never uses Drill Peck.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is Thunder Wave still used on Thundurus on rain teams, or not due to Thunder's 30% paralysis rate?
Thunder Wave is still used since having priority paralysis rate 100% of the time is better than a non-priority paralysis rate 30% of the time.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is something like that possible?Change the rules in the middle of the year?If yes,well I'll need to make a new team.
Well, for the October regionals in the US, they're following the VGC 2012 format. We don't know how the rest of the VGC 2013 season will turn out though, but they could change the rules.

It's good to make a backup/substitutes for your team members that aren't available in the B/W2 New Unova Dex, like I would choose Weavile to replace my Infernape as my Fake outter, or Ferrothorn for Cresselia, things like that. It's just in case of a rule change so you won't have to frantically make a new team hours before the competition like I did back in '10 and '11.

It's good to make a backup/substitutes for your team members that aren't available in the B/W2 New Unova Dex, like I would choose Weavile to replace my Infernape as my Fake outter, or Ferrothorn for Cresselia, things like that. It's just in case of a rule change so you won't have to frantically make a new team hours before the competition like I did back in '10 and '11.
It's not easy to find a replacement for a Pokemon like Politoed,which means a complete chage to the team.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
If I were to run a bulky Hydreigon on a Tailwind team, how much Speed should I invest to outrun certain threats?

Edit: Adding on that, I'm largely considering a HP Fighting spread, which would require a Speed IV of 30. Also, on that note, would a Fighting Gem HP Fighting KO a Non-Chople Berry Tyranitar?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hydreigon outspeeds every unboosted Pokémon in Tailwind with no investment, so unless you want to target a Scarfer or be faster outside of Tailwind it doesn't really need any speed. Maybe enough to beat Kingdra?

As for your second question, not quite:
252SpAtk Fight Gem lvl 50 Hydreigon (+SAtk) Hidden Power (Fighting) in Sandstorm vs 252HP/0SpDef lvl 50 Tyranitar (Neutral): 83% - 98% (172 - 204 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Honestly, you're better off with Focus Blast rather than wasting the moveslot and item slot. Sure you may miss, but if it hits you're gonna be doing this:

252SpAtk lvl 50 Hydreigon (+SAtk) Focus Blast vs 252HP/4SpDef lvl 50 Tyranitar (Neutral): 141% - 166% (292 - 344 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Biosci, you forgot the sand.

252SpAtk lvl 50 Hydreigon (+SAtk) Focus Blast in Sandstorm vs 252HP/0SpDef lvl 50 Tyranitar (Neutral): 94% - 112% (196 - 232 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 69% chance to OHKO.

Why even bother with a fighting attack on Hydreigon? Ttar kills you if you don't kill it. With crappy accuracy and chople everywhere it's just dumb lol.

You wouldn't wipe your bum with an apple or similar piece of fruit, so stick to running your mons how they're supposed to go.

Anyway Ttar's very easy to scare, wall or otherwise OHKO so don't bother overextending to have all your mons beat it.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Jolly has a 47% chance to OHKO Tyranitar even with Chople, while Adamant has a 97% chance to OHKO the same thing. And you want advice for beating hail teams, or playing with hail on your own team?

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Hydreigon outspeeds every unboosted Pokémon in Tailwind with no investment, so unless you want to target a Scarfer or be faster outside of Tailwind it doesn't really need any speed. Maybe enough to beat Kingdra?

As for your second question, not quite:
252SpAtk Fight Gem lvl 50 Hydreigon (+SAtk) Hidden Power (Fighting) in Sandstorm vs 252HP/0SpDef lvl 50 Tyranitar (Neutral): 83% - 98% (172 - 204 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
No.

Modest max Sp. Attack Hydreigon with a Fighting Gem boosted HP Fighting deals 83.09%-98.55% to an Adamant 252 HP/4 Sp. Defense Tyranitar without Chople Berry.

Without a Fighting Gem, deals 56.04%-67.63% to the same Tyranitar.

You're basically looking at a 2HKO with or without the Fighting Gem, so I'd change the item if I were you.
Ah ok, I thought it would be a 2HKO, but I wanted to double-check since I didn't have access to damage calcs at that time. Since I don't really feel like gambling with Focus Miss, I'll just find another way past Tyranitar then.

And so no Speed investment, gotcha. I'm experimenting with the possibility of B&W2 Unova Pokemon as part of VGC 13 later on, and Kingdra doesn't pose a problem as of now, so I guess I'll just invest in HP and SpA.

Jolly has a 47% chance to OHKO Tyranitar even with Chople, while Adamant has a 97% chance to OHKO the same thing. And you want advice for beating hail teams, or playing with hail on your own team?
Scizor, Metagross, Hitmontop and Heatran are all solid mons against hail teams, but since no sane person ever runs more than three ice types on a team (even that's pushing it), you should always try to protect this 'mon until the ice types are down. The rest you should probably play as if it were goodstuffs.

Solace

royal flush
does the disquake strategy work well in VGCs and are terrakion and heatran good leads for VGC?
DisQuake is a pretty standard strategy, and aside from an Ice weakness works pretty well, although it's highly predictable. Terrakion and Heatran can be a good pair, although both of them are weak to similar things. It'd depend on their sets and what you were trying to accomplish, but there are better partners for both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)