VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. There really isn't a way. KOing the countless Gastly in the Old Chateau is much more efficient.
2. IMO, BW are easiest.
3. Who knows?
4. Depends on your team and what attacks specifically you want that Latias to wall.
5. See #3
Thanks for the info! Also, are there any sites competitive battlers use besides Smogon and Nugget bridge?

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
It's Aron, it usually won't be sashed and it can't get poisoned.

Fake Out and other priority moves like it can help get rid of it. And Spread moves can help you kill the Aron while still being able to attack the partner Pokemon.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And don't forget Mold Breaker. It's not worth changing your team just to add that, but if you're already running Haxorus or something anyway...
Thanks for the info! Also, are there any sites competitive battlers use besides Smogon and Nugget bridge?
There's Serebii, though the quality of posts is a lot more hit-and-miss and most of the good posters are also on Smogon anyway. I don't know enough about other communities to comment on them.

@Chessmaster56: Other than what others said, another option to be considered is using a Ghost type (Jellicent and Chandelure have spread moves as well, and Sableye can fake out/wow/sucker punch), which is immune to Endeavor. Using a ghost means Aron can't do anything to it, making predictions easier.

If Aron is really that annoying or hard to deal with for whatever reason, Chandelure also learns Flame Burst, which damages its target's partner regardless of protect, meaning that Chandelure can break Aron's sash even if Aron is using protect, as long as Aron's partner isn't. The good thing about this option is that the damage (1/16th HP) from Flame Burst will not activate berry juice, meaning that Sturdy wiil be broken right away instead of Berry Juice bringing Aron back to full health to reactivate Sturdy. That is most likely not necessary though, since Heat Wave is much more useful in most situations.

Also, you mentioned hail twice. :)

Chessmaster56

Banned deucer.
Thank you everyone for your answers! In the Houston Regionals how will the format be?(like your'e paired with someone and whoever is the best of 3 moves on or everyone plays for a number of rounds and then judges compare the win:lose ration) Thank you again! :)

The matches will be best of 1 in the swiss format, meaning that you play a certain amount of rounds against someone with the same score as you each round.

Chessmaster56

Banned deucer.
@talkinglion: thanks for the quick reply. another question: what place do you have to get to get the invitation to go to nationals?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@talkinglion: thanks for the quick reply. another question: what place do you have to get to get the invitation to go to nationals?
Last season, Nationals was open, meaning you didn't need an invitation. I assume it will follow the same format this season.

Are there any gameplay mechanic changes from BW to BW 2? In BW 2, is it true that an item from Join avenue can increase a pokemon's level by 8? How did people figure out the hidden stats and the math behind the formula's? What are your guy's stances on Deoxy's Defense forme?

If I use a pranksterTailwind, will my other pokemon's higher speed stat allow it to attack next, even if it had less speed at the beginning of the turn?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Are there any gameplay mechanic changes from BW to BW 2? In BW 2, is it true that an item from Join avenue can increase a pokemon's level by 8? How did people figure out the hidden stats and the math behind the formula's? What are your guy's stances on Deoxy's Defense forme?
No relevant mechanic changes that I can think of. i'm not too familiar with Join Avenue, maybe someone else can answer that. If you want to learn about how people figured out all the mechanics, check out the research threads in the Wi-Fi forum. Deoxys is banned in VGC.
If I use a pranksterTailwind, will my other pokemon's higher speed stat allow it to attack next, even if it had less speed at the beginning of the turn?
No. Except for priority, After You, and Quash, nothing will change the attacking order after the start of the turn.

No relevant mechanic changes that I can think of. i'm not too familiar with Join Avenue, maybe someone else can answer that. If you want to learn about how people figured out all the mechanics, check out the research threads in the Wi-Fi forum. Deoxys is banned in VGC.

No. Except for priority, After You, and Quash, nothing will change the attacking order after the start of the turn.
Thanks for all your help, you might be the most helpful :D. Not to say everyone else isn't though.

Chessmaster56

Banned deucer.
would it be a good idea to use follow me/rage poweder and then have your partner linoone use belly drum+gluttony+salac berry and then follw up with extremespeed the next turn?

would it be a good idea to use follow me/rage poweder and then have your partner linoone use belly drum+gluttony+salac berry and then follw up with extremespeed the next turn?
Yes, but it can be toppled by the common fake outs, EQ's, and rock slides. It is effective, but a bit gimmicky. It can be used in the swiss rounds, since your opponent won't have time to learn, but afterwards, your opponent will find a way around it. But it also depends on the rest of your team and the fact that with just 1 extremespeed, you can only KO one opponent, leaving the other opponent open to KO you.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but Salacs aren't available for gen V.

Chessmaster56

Banned deucer.
Yes, but it can be toppled by the common fake outs, EQ's, and rock slides. It is effective, but a bit gimmicky. It can be used in the swiss rounds, since your opponent won't have time to learn, but afterwards, your opponent will find a way around it. But it also depends on the rest of your team and the fact that with just 1 extremespeed, you can only KO one opponent, leaving the other opponent open to KO you.
ok then

what is the best spread move to use at the VGCs? I currently have EQ, rock slide, discharge, heat wave, and eruption.
Rock slide, EQ, heat wave, icy wind and surf are pretty good. But really, it depends entirely on what you're using.

I find thunderbolt's always the better move than discharge (it's literally like twice as powerful and doesn't need a partner) and eruption's basically useless because it's inflexible. Blizzard's cool when it's been set up but otherwise isn't reliable enough.

Just use spread moves that work lol, it's a question far easier answered by looking at what's available. :P

Also a note for anyone asking about strategies: If you need to set up to win, your strategy is bollocks and you need to make something more reliable.
Look at it logically: if you set up, you might win. If you don't set up, you lose. You're putting the game into the hands of your opponent, which means you can only beat noobs. It's not a coincidence that a setup team has never top cutted masters (or 09 seniors) worlds (and probably seniors too); it's because setup teams are bad gameplay lol.

Like a dedicated trickroom team (with 0 speed IVs, -speed natures, etc), or based around a boosting mon (like cradily or musharna), or like gravity and stuff. Or teams with mons that can only work in the right weather. Politoed, Ninetales, Abomasnow etc are bad mons since they rely on their weather condition and it's the main thing they have going.

So by a setup team I mean one that relies on some kind of condition being active to work properly. One that, if disrupted, means you're at a huge disadvantage.

If you look at any team that's top cutted worlds, you'll find mostly teams that carry a setup but don't need to use it to win. Like Ray's TR Cresses, or my bulky tailwind Tornadus, or Kazuyuki Tsuji's rain dance Salamence. Setup moves for game-changing, not... setting up.

If you look at any team that's top cutted worlds, you'll find mostly teams that carry a setup but don't need to use it to win. Like Ray's TR Cresses, or my bulky tailwind Tornadus, or Kazuyuki Tsuji's rain dance Salamence. Setup moves for game-changing, not... setting up.
These Pokemon are mainly used as speed control(to counter/match the other persons strat).

You're right.. if you fully depend on setting up.. you're pretty much gambling with your chances..

*pretends to know stuff*

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Very few Pokémon can always OHKO Cresselia. Bug Gem Escavalier is a favorite of mine (Heracross hits about as hard), and a few boosted weather moves can beat her, but almost everything else will 2HKO at best if she has enough EVs in the side you're attacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)