What did you think of the new system?

What do you think of the new system so far?

• Total voters
My opinion is going to be completely biased because of what happened to me and how it cost me first place, but I will give it anyway.

Swiss is overall a better format. There are many reasons why it is but there are a few issues with the Swiss system as is. The issues stem from them trying to make the Swiss exactly like the cardgame so that theoretically, the card game staff and judges can run the events, which this doesn't work, because then you get judges that are just trying to rush through the event and don't care much for the VGC. Which in my personal case resulted me in taking a loss for the round instead of them letting me and the three other people involved in the mixup rebattle, or repairing. A similar situation happened Saturday in the cardgame(which i played in) for another group of people which resulted in repairing and holding everyone up for 30 minutes. My case was different for some reason. ok /rant, main issues with the event.

*Lack of advertisement - The biggest shortcoming of the entire event. FL has a much larger VG scene than what was represented on Sunday.

*Lack of Top Cut - I really don't understand this at all. Leaving the runner up and 3rd and 4th prizes up to luck is just downright terrible. There is no way to justify them doing this.

*Lack of proper support and staff - I kind of explained this in my rant, but there was maybe one guy on the Staff in FL, that actually played the videogame, and they didn't allow him to really do anything. This is terrible.

*Event day - Sunday's are a bad day to have an event like this. I know some people would like to play both, but honestly if it stops people who only play the VG to play it by having the events on Sunday, I would rather make that person both choose between either or than having that person that ONLY does VGC not be able to do it because someone's parents have to work in the morning, or wants their children in church on Sunday. They should separate the staff and have them both on Saturday.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I found it okay so far. The Salem, OR event was decently run with what they had, although they were pretty much packing everything up by about round 4/7 of the VGC Master's Swiss rounds, as Duy said.

The lack of Top Cut didn't really affect too much for the Masters for us, but left Snake as 5th place in Seniors, which was pretty bad. As its the first time they are running VGC with TCG, and the staff are a lot more specialized in TCG, perhaps they thought they wouldn't be able to have a Top Cup due to time constraints involving a number of factors. From what we can tell after the November regional though, a Top Cut should be managable.

The silence, or rather lack of music in the background since there was quite a bit of yelling from the players (CAPRIIIIIIIII!), made the atmosphere a lot different from what we're used to in previous regionals. A bit empty would probably be best to desribe it. It's not quite VGC without "Eye of The Tiger" and "Final Countdown".

I feel that they are probably heading in the right direction with the set up, but it needs a lot of refining. Right now, as someone commented in the Salem Regional, "I know that they are trying to have the VGC follow the TCG, but right now this kind of makes the VGC look even more like just an afterthought of the TCG".

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
right now this kind of makes the VGC look even more like just an afterthought of the TCG
I've always felt this way about events and it doesn't help that the VGCs had less prizes than the TCG. I don't think any of the VGC players would mind getting packs or even a copy of Super Pokemon Rumble or whatever for the top 8. Also seeing the same TCG staff stay for the VGC irked me. Like the games provide automatic judging but for hack checks and stuff they should have someone more knowledgeable about the video game. Really there only needs to be one or two people per event.

i'd like to say that a top 16 would also be dependent on tiebreakers too; asymmetrical top cut would be far better in my opinion

(this has absolutely nothing to do with my going 4-2 and still getting 17th)

I've always felt this way about events and it doesn't help that the VGCs had less prizes than the TCG. I don't think any of the VGC players would mind getting packs or even a copy of Super Pokemon Rumble or whatever for the top 8. Also seeing the same TCG staff stay for the VGC irked me. Like the games provide automatic judging but for hack checks and stuff they should have someone more knowledgeable about the video game. Really there only needs to be one or two people per event.
We got the 3-600$, they didn't.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've been complaining the tie-breaker system is flawed since 2009, and it is still something that needs work, especially if they don't plan on doing a top cut for VGC. I was the only 6-0 in round 7 and I lost to a 5-1 making my final record 6-1. But then my tournament result was down to the random tie-breakers, apparently my string of opponent 6-1s wasn't good enough and I got dropped to 3rd because its likely my first two opponents ended up completely sucking something completely out of my control. Someone I beat in round 5 ended up winning on tie-breakers so my own performance hurt my chances of winning the tournament.

The whole tie-breaker system easily segues into the fact we don't have a top cut at all, winners are determined based on completely arbitrary factors that no one has control over, and as shown, my own performance hurt my own chances of winning. The lack of a top cut confuses me even more when the entire VGC tournament started after the TCG top cut and ended before the TCG top cut finished. Given that VGC rounds are already 1/2 as long as TCG rounds (VGC 15 minutes, TCG 30 minutes), a 4 or 5 round top cut would add an extra 2 hours or so, even allowing for the dead time between rounds where the PTOs have to input the results and waiting for the next round to begin.

I'm happy we have swiss, people like Huy and OmegaDonut would've been knocked out of a single-elim tournament but they still got to continue and play. But I feel it is a problem when monetary prizes are awarded based on random uncontrollable tie-breakers where someone I beat is able to win the entire thing based on those.

Basically they either need to add a top cut or remove arbitrary tie-breakers that no one has control over.

I really wish this thread had taken place about a week for now after people got a chance to cool down a bit from a weekend where team internets largely didn't do very well, but I'll try and be rational here:

Pros: While this is going to go in both my pros and cons, the swiss format is much better than the old one for most players. I like swiss conceptually for regionals in a game like Pokemon where sometimes the RNG is just going to decide the game and get a less skilled player by a more skilled one. I think with how few events there are every year and how far people have to travel to get to them it's a really great thing that people are guaranteed to play 6-7 games. My traveling buddy ended up losing his first game to getting Pokemoned and then won five in a row and ended up another flinch away from 300$. In previous years his tournament would have ended at 0-1, and I know he had a much better time because of the format change, so I appreciated the change a lot for that reason.

I was really impressed by how smoothly our event ran in Ft Wayne. It felt really mechanical(which I'll whine about later) but comparing my experience in this to the swiss rounds at Nationals a few months ago, I thought this may actually have been the more efficient event. There's little negative I can say about the staff's performance: they were friendly, organized, and efficient in what I have to imagine was a really difficult tournament for them to administer given the short notice and the fact they're all TCG people first. I had expected things would be a little messy given the situation the PTO and staff were put in but that wasn't the case at all -- I was really, really impressed. While the lack of VGC knowledge was certainly obvious(I was a little worried about what would happen if a difficult hackcheck like the Dark-Pulse-Hydreigon-in-Ultra-Ball-thing from last year occurred, and apparently tragedy ensued in RI), it didn't end up mattering at our event as far as we can tell, and I imagine the staff will brush up on things a bit before next time.

Cons: While the format was better for most players, swiss no-top-cut is dramatically less advantageous for established players than the format we had last year.

To describe what I mean here, there a handful of problems I have with this:

- Obviously, if you want to win it all you're not safe losing at all as before, and if you want to win money, you can only lose once and even then need help from your tiebreakers in the current system.

- The tournament is completely unseeded, which ended up compromising the integrity of the tournament a bit in Ft Wayne while making it potentially more difficult to go undefeated than in previous years for some players. In Ft Wayne, we had I think five competitors from Nationals last year(evan, tyler, alphabet123, zachdro, me) and 2 worlds competitors(sixonesix, tad) in the Masters division. The two Worlds players ended up matched together in the very first round, and two of the nationals competitors were matched up as well. Every single round after that at least two matches contained battles between those seven players or between those seven and the two other people in our group(who somehow managed to go 5-2 and 4-3 anyway). I realize there were pretty significant fairness issues with letting us dodge each other when we knew each other under the previous format, but with this system we ended up all having to tank each other's records before we even got out of the first four rounds because of all the inter-internet play which led to some people near the top of the standings that didn't get tested quite the way they should have been. I feel pretty confident if you took those 7 people and put them up against highest placing 7 outside of that group we'd get 5 or 6 of those wins pretty easily barring anything particularly bizarre occurring. A top cut would only have half fixed this(more on that later), but given that we're apparently keeping track of points now anyway I'd love for that to tie into pairings in the first few rounds to try to avoid this sort of thing happening in the future.

- Deciding money on strength of schedule is incredibly stupid. I realize that like Paul posting ahead of me I'm probably just a little bitter about the Opponents Win% thing after what happened at Nationals, but I'm really deeply confused by the fact someone, somewhere thought that running Swiss without a top cut was actually a good idea. I think my biggest fear going into these events is that I lose to something out of my control. I can accept situations where I could have played better even when luck is part of the equation(which covers what happened to me in Nationals some, since 5-2 is still weak, and say my loss to Sixonesix in Ft Wayne, where I had an untimely flinch but could have played a lot better), and the current system basically guarantees that money is going to be determined by something completely out of our control because of the Opponent Win %fest at X-1. I think the fact Paul was the last undefeated player at his event and lost to a 5-1 with pretty ridiculous "Pokemon" yet somehow didn't win is completely ridiculous, and I think that money being decided between people with the same record is a really bad way to go about doing things given that it's not like even the oft-mocked BCS where we could have picked harder opponents early in the season to make our schedule stronger and mitigate the problem some. It's not fun for a competitor to have prize money or tournament progression come down to factors we didn't get to control. I would love to see a top cut that's based on record to avoid strength of schedule mattering at all, putting fate back into the players hands, preferably with byes given in situations with uneven numbers -- ie, looking at nationals last year, it'd have been nice for the 5-2s to be required to play off since it didn't create a clean cut at 16 with the 6-1s and 7-0 earning the right not to play in that round. I think if TPCI is serious about regionals actually meaning something beyond an expense for them it is important that the events emphasize the best players finishing the highest, and while the swiss format change was massive step forward toward improving the events by helping the bottom half of the field and mitigating the effects of a game with a lot of dice rolls, the top needs to be attended to as well. This bullet doesn't solve the problem without also doing something about the previous one, but at least assuming the cut is 5-2 our fate is more in our own hands -- it'd have kept 3 more of our group of 9(in addition to tad who won, obviously) alive in Ft Wayne in spite of all of our interplay and bizarre luck-based losses, and had evan and I taken care of business in our 4-2 games we'd have stuck around with a 5-2 cut-off as well.

I thought the players were scrambling just as hard as the PTOs were with the short notice for regionals which contributed to the kind of strange results we got as much as anything, but I don't think Swiss without a top cut emphasizes either the best players winning or excitement at the event, only getting some players to play more games. I know time was probably a big consideration going into these events which probably contributed to there not being a Top Cut, but our event ended at like 2:30, much sooner than my 2011 regional, and I imagine as the feedback in this thread makes obvious the players would certainly rather stick around to get better results.

The environment was pretty disappointing. I wish I had brought this up to Kaleb on the ride home, but I remember when we were like 11 we used to go our local Toys R Us to playing trading cards with like 10 other people in their weekly Pokemon thing. We had like half an aisle in the store, shoppers were tripping over us, and most of the people there were creepers who never talked. This regional was way closer to that feeling than to the 2011 regional I attended. I knew that there would be some drop off without the excellent Nick McCord(please, please bring him back for Nationals), but something in the atmosphere just felt missing even ignoring that part. The lack of music made everything eerily quiet and the lack of televisions meant there was never a crowd, so the energy and excitement that usually carries Pokemon events just wasn't there this time. (Yes, I realize the irony of this complaint after whining about the staff-led screamfest during the last round of Worlds LCQ) It's like, we were playing Pokemon at an event but it didn't feel like a Pokemon event.

I feel that compared to more widely accepted "e-sports" I follow, Pokemon is an exciting and easy to follow spectator game, which is completely wasted in this format, since no one ever gets to watch anyone else, and even if there were TVs competitors wouldn't be able to use them since we're all always playing. Given the option, I would rather have just forfeited my game when I was at 4-2 and watched Kaleb vs. tad, since that actually mattered for something and would have been exciting, and I imagine I'm not the only one who was pretty apathetic about the irrelevant games after I got bounced. It's like, there's a reason the events are still fun at Nationals and Worlds after you're eliminated: because we still get to watch and cheer people on the TVs, and that element wasn't here this time. I think that related to my last complaint, the events would be greatly improved by having TVs available and showing top-cut matches on them. The games that matter the most would still be witnessed by many, everyone would get to play six or seven games, and it would lead to more meaningful results. I missed the music building the atmosphere too, as horrific as TPCI's music choice tends to be. I got the feeling towards the end of the event that the staff just wanted to get through it and go home(they were cleaning up during round 7), which I dig, but it's probably not the best impression to give the players, either. Maybe Nick just fooled me into thinking everyone was more excited than they actually were in the past but I felt more like I was at work than play this time.

MARKETING MAJOR SYNRE IS OFFENDED BY THE THOUGHT THAT NOT ADVERTISING WAS A GOOD STRATEGY

The Sunday and November thing sucked, but I'm not confident there's a better solution. Kaleb and I spent a bunch of time on both drives trying to brainstorm ways the timing could have sucked less, and I don't think anything we came up with was actually an improvement for timing beyond just not having two regionals and going back to what they did last year, which I think would be a pretty obvious step back. If you move the November regional much farther backward you're getting dangerously close to Worlds -- and with how late the rules were announced for VGC 12 I think the regionals were actually dramatically sooner than we'd have preferred to begin with. If you move them farther forward you start running into issues with family holidays and vacations, though I imagine optimal attendance for a fall regional would involve moving it into winter and putting it between Christmas and New Year's in years where the calendar gives a usable weekend there. The April regional is tricky too unless you just want to move it into early June and knock Nationals and Worlds back(which I think is a pretty good idea) -- it's literally the worst weekend possible for many of us in college (I definitely want to drive 13 hours away to play Pokemon one day before finals) right now, but it's hard to move it too far and not interfere with the high schoolers and I assume the thought with the current location was Spring Break for the kiddies or something (but seriously can it just be early May next year this is horrible -_-). I'm rambling a lot now but the date of the regional is something that's going to be tough to please everyone with.

The Sunday thing is even less manageable -- unless there's a much bigger group of parents who don't want their kids Pokemoning on a Sunday I think being able to play both TCG and VGC is a much greater service to the community than letting VGC play on Saturday(but ffs finish TCG on Saturday so people who cut don't have to choose...), but I know I talked to a few parents in Ft Wayne while I was there and they all seemed pretty irritated about having to drive home and get the kids in school Monday so things are pretty suboptimal the way they are, too. I guess I'm just touching on this because while I agree with the previous posters that it is super annoying I can't imagine a way to fix it either so I wouldn't be upset if it didn't change.

I had a really great time in Ft Wayne even though it was by a pretty significant margin the worst performance I've ever put up in a real life event, so I think a lot of the issues are kinda getting exaggerated in this thread. I hope TPCI changes a few of the big complaints up for April to make the event even better. I think overall the changes TPCI made the regional structure were overwhelmingly positive, but there's just a couple glaring flaws keeping them from being as good as they can be.

I liked the format a lot as it will allow for me to get my brother who knows nothing about competitive play to come since he won't get kicked out his first round, but the was the rankings are done wasn't the best. I got pushed down on the tie breakers because I was unlucky enough to battle two bad players who made my wins worth less

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Synre has gone over pretty much everything I would have liked to talk about. However, I do want to add emphasis that, overall, this format is much better than last year. I say this even though the random pairings stuck me with Tyler r1 forcing me to go 6-0 the rest of the time because my strength of schedule was pathetic afterwards (until I hit Sixonesix at 4-1) and after losing that one I simply didn't try in my 4-2 match (since it a) wasn't against Scott and b) meant nothing due to strength of schedule). Initiating a top cut makes the format much stronger (ideally asymmetric but anything is better than the current), but Swiss is better than single elimination any day.

As for the atmosphere, I guess i just had really low standards but I was impressed by Ft Wayne. We had banners and signs and everything. It looked like last year's regionals (but without the giant blowup Reshiram and Zekrom) but eerily quiet. Pop on an iTunes playlist or something and a lot of the atmosphere problems are fixed. (Ft Wayne PTO get in touch. I will hell of make you a playlist)

Otherwise, despite my sorry performance, I felt like this was a huge step in the right direction with some obvious flaws that can be easily corrected hopefully by April but certainly by next year.

PROS:
  • Smooth check-in, you were able to pre-register on Saturday night and just have your card checked in on Sunday
  • The staff was polite
  • The venue was clean and parking was easy
  • Cool that players were not done after Round 1
CONS:
  • The atmosphere had no energy, totally blah
  • Absolutely no recognition of the top four winners of each division. Would it have been hard to take 4 or 5 minutes and make an announcement of the top 4 Juniors and Seniors? They were proud of their achievement, let us clap for them.
  • No Medals
  • No Top Cut
  • It just did not have the usually fun entertaining feel that the tournaments have had in the past - without the hoopla it just felt like a meeting.

PROS:
  • Smooth check-in, you were able to pre-register on Saturday night and just have your card checked in on Sunday
  • The staff was polite
  • The venue was clean and parking was easy
  • Cool that players were not done after Round 1
CONS:
  • The atmosphere had no energy, totally blah
  • Absolutely no recognition of the top four winners of each division. Would it have been hard to take 4 or 5 minutes and make an announcement of the top 4 Juniors and Seniors? They were proud of their achievement, let us clap for them.
  • No Medals
  • No Top Cut
  • It just did not have the usually fun entertaining feel that the tournaments have had in the past - without the hoopla it just felt like a meeting.
medals are being sent in the mail iirc.

I really liked it. Definitely had some glaring problems that were mentioned before, but the atmosphere among all of us there was a lot better in a small regional. It felt a lot like Worlds and Nationals where we relax for the most part with playing and prizes being bonuses.

Communication with the people in charge is incredibly easy with the smaller regionals too. After we found Mike Liesik later it was easy to ask him any question if we ever needed to. I think that is one of the better benefits instead of having to wait and wait and wait because everyone is pretty busy there that the more relaxed atmosphere lets us get the information we need really fast.

I would definitely like there to be more advertising but I understand that this is just a test, hoping it works out well so next year is going to be much better. VGC is still pretty new and to see that it is in fact growing fast and improving fast I think it can only improve from here on out.

I seriously hope they consider these factors for the April Regionals. I will gladly give up my chance to be in the top 4, as long as they can bring back the atmosphere from VGC 10/11 back.

Don't worry, they will. One of the best things about Pokemon is that they actually listen and read all the criticism/feedback. I can guarantee SPRING Regionals will be much better. I'll chime in a few thoughts in this post later.

no really, i am not stupid

Thanks for the ray of hope, lol. Seriously, I enjoy that feeling when the juniors bring their parents to event, and the parents are thinking that there are only going to be like 50 people, and it ends up being like 1000(sometimes over).

I've been complaining the tie-breaker system is flawed since 2009, and it is still something that needs work, especially if they don't plan on doing a top cut for VGC. I was the only 6-0 in round 7 and I lost to a 5-1 making my final record 6-1. But then my tournament result was down to the random tie-breakers, apparently my string of opponent 6-1s wasn't good enough and I got dropped to 3rd because its likely my first two opponents ended up completely sucking something completely out of my control. Someone I beat in round 5 ended up winning on tie-breakers so my own performance hurt my chances of winning the tournament.

The whole tie-breaker system easily segues into the fact we don't have a top cut at all, winners are determined based on completely arbitrary factors that no one has control over, and as shown, my own performance hurt my own chances of winning. The lack of a top cut confuses me even more when the entire VGC tournament started after the TCG top cut and ended before the TCG top cut finished. Given that VGC rounds are already 1/2 as long as TCG rounds (VGC 15 minutes, TCG 30 minutes), a 4 or 5 round top cut would add an extra 2 hours or so, even allowing for the dead time between rounds where the PTOs have to input the results and waiting for the next round to begin.

I'm happy we have swiss, people like Huy and OmegaDonut would've been knocked out of a single-elim tournament but they still got to continue and play. But I feel it is a problem when monetary prizes are awarded based on random uncontrollable tie-breakers where someone I beat is able to win the entire thing based on those.

Basically they either need to add a top cut or remove arbitrary tie-breakers that no one has control over.
Makiri, I feel your pain and agree with everything you said here. The tie-breaker system is VERY flawed.

Ya, I agree. I beat 3rd place at VA 3-0 or 2-0 but he got a higher rank them me. :( Made me felt pissed but it didnt really matter a lot though. The tie-breaker system messed up.

I do agree with a lot of what people are saying. Swiss is a lot better with a Top Cut, and not tie-breakers. Even if they had to use tie-breakers instead of Top Cut, they should at least have made the tie-breakers something like Pokemon lost instead of opponents win percentage, something you have no control over. I'm also a bit disappointed with the lack of TV screens to watch matches. I understand they cant afford it, but if they just had one or 2 at each regional for the finals, then it really would have made the finals feel more like finals(it felt the same as other battles to me except for the rise in pressure). The prizes were also not too great. So far, all I got was an Oshawott plushie. I understand that they are mailing the medals for some reason, but it would have been nice to walk out of there with a medal or gave you something else that was good(the travel award is great and all and so are the byes but I also want something that I can actually "keep"). All in all though, regionals was really fun and it was great for my first regional and the staff all put in a lot of hard effort to make it an enjoyable event for everyone.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Makiri, I feel your pain and agree with everything you said here. The tie-breaker system is VERY flawed.
Same here, but I got dropped to 6th place because the person that beat me was 4-2, ruining my chances for t4, and I mean while I was 2-1 i battled a 1-2 who ended 1-5 so yea. this pretty much determined it was impossible for me to make t4

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
- The tournament is completely unseeded, which ended up compromising the integrity of the tournament a bit in Ft Wayne while making it potentially more difficult to go undefeated than in previous years for some players. In Ft Wayne, we had I think five competitors from Nationals last year(evan, tyler, alphabet123, zachdro, me) and 2 worlds competitors(sixonesix, tad) in the Masters division. The two Worlds players ended up matched together in the very first round, and two of the nationals competitors were matched up as well. Every single round after that at least two matches contained battles between those seven players or between those seven and the two other people in our group(who somehow managed to go 5-2 and 4-3 anyway). I realize there were pretty significant fairness issues with letting us dodge each other when we knew each other under the previous format, but with this system we ended up all having to tank each other's records before we even got out of the first four rounds because of all the inter-internet play which led to some people near the top of the standings that didn't get tested quite the way they should have been. I feel pretty confident if you took those 7 people and put them up against highest placing 7 outside of that group we'd get 5 or 6 of those wins pretty easily barring anything particularly bizarre occurring. A top cut would only have half fixed this(more on that later), but given that we're apparently keeping track of points now anyway I'd love for that to tie into pairings in the first few rounds to try to avoid this sort of thing happening in the future.
Very much this. Now that we are tracking records by points and we have preregistration by POP ID#, I see no reason why such a system can't be in place.

Same here, but I got dropped to 6th place because the person that beat me was 4-2, ruining my chances for t4, and I mean while I was 2-1 i battled a 1-2 who ended 1-5 so yea. this pretty much determined it was impossible for me to make t4
That was just like me. I was 2-1 and battled a 1-2, killing my chances at the top 4. They really need to fix this system.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think they should run round robin tournaments and bring back the player cap and lottery.

Very much this. Now that we are tracking records by points and we have preregistration by POP ID#, I see no reason why such a system can't be in place.
I don't know how well it would work. Because the matches are infrequent and there are so many new players coming in all the time there are problems that could result from this. How would they do it? If they made top seeds play unranked or poor players you could make some people fairly angry.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
^Anyone good enough to have a reasonable chance of winning is eventually going to have to face the best players anyway. Seeding exists specifically such that the better players will geneally be the ones to come out of the early rounds unscathed, so the later rounds are more competitive and exciting to spectate (nevermind that spectating was difficult to nonexistent here), not to mention allowing the final standings to more accurately represent the skill of each participant. The Swiss format takes care of the rest, allowing everyone a full tournament experience (no dropping the first round and going home, or first two if double-elim, essentially wasting the rest of your day for nothing) and early losers to continue winning and potentially still give themselves a chance to win the tournament. That needs a top cut, though. ;[

Synre covered what I would've wanted to say blah blah blah. One thing I will say, though, is that I think having two sets of regionals is ultimately a good idea. This allows anyone that was unfortunately unable to make it to the first one hopefully get a second chance to plan for attending the second one.

As far as having all the regionals on the same day, I think it's a good thing that you just don't have everyone in the "late" regionals just copying off what people succeeded with in the "early" ones. There are also disadvantages though. Like the two-sets-of-regionals thing, doing different regionals over a few different weekends could allow some unfortunate people a chance to go to another one if their nearest one happens to fall on a day they simply can't attend. (That said, two sets of regionals all on the same day > one set of regionals held over multiple weekends.) A smaller, more dedicated staff could also be used since they would be able to run multiple events.

There's no excuse for TCG not to be finished on Saturday, considering rounds are only a half-hour long. Magic:the Gathering events are generally much larger and, aside saving Top 8 cut for Sunday morning, they have no trouble finishing the Swiss portion of tournaments with 50-minute rounds. VGC would ideally be on Saturday too, especially if the events are going to be held in the middle of school and not on a holiday, but that's probably not feasible while both TCG and VGC are being run as a single event.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)