What do you collect?

I am a paleontologist by trade, having taken classes in human osteology, comparative anatomy, mammology and paleontology (encompassing everything from fish to mammals focusing on osteology), as well as self guided study on herpetology. So yeah, I've been around. There is a TON of info online for anyone wanting to get into this- I myself am just starting a little more hardcore; the crow will by my first full mount (I'm thinking of posing it like Ho oh lol). I had to be careful with it cause of west nile and etc, but a full bleach bath is enough to slaughter most anything...not to mention viruses don't like living outside of aqueous environments for very long and this thing had been there at least 6 months if not more. It is hard, so far I already broke a jugal bone in the the skull and lost a portion of the beak keratin from the lower jaw thanks to some strong tendon action...not to mention many of the bones are paper thin!

The crow I found under a tree in my dad's yard; I find a TON of bones in the badlands in Alberta, where I do a fair bit of work. The bear skull was actually a gift and was my first skull/treated bone. I've tweaked how I do things and am still a total noob, but at least I'm not burning the bones with bleach anymore! I found the shark skull (chondrocranium) on a beach in Victoria, BC. My friends thought I was picking up toilet paper. On that same beach my friends found a Whale Bulla (ear boneish kinda thing, google it).

Edit: I'm also working on prepping out a fossil lobster that kinda got put on hold....however I JUST bought an xbox360 a few days ago, so that beckons to me GREATLY...ugh fuck workin' full time, I'm just gonna do my hobbies from now on.

edit: just remembered I have a large Gar skull, somewhere, that fucking fell apart on me. I'm pretty sure some of the bones are gone now too :(

If you ever need some cow bones...I'm your dude...we just had one die actually. Right now we have about 75 cows. That's not a large amount for a farm but it's a hobby of my grandfathers. (yeah I'm young) I guess I could say he collects cows...
I thought you might be a paleontologist! I was quite interested when I was about 12 (reason I collected rocks/fossils although not many of the latter) but that has passed. I'm going to be a linguist and eventually a spanish teacher.

Yeah no cow bones for me, I think I already have three or four skulls in my dads garden. The only Bovid I want a slice of is a Bison, but even then I would probably want an older one. Those bitches are less common than they told me :(

I used to collect Transformers - mainly G1 stuff though.

Now I like collecting gadgets, games consoles, any piece of technology I can get my mits on.

I use to collect Pokemon cards. I sometimes buy a pack or two, just to try for my luck, and see what I get. I'm not really a collector of Pokemon cards, but I do have a lot.

I use to collect trading cards but I realize that they're just a waste of money. No offense to anyone here. So, I get my Yu-Gi-Oh! cards from some kids in the neighborhood.

Also, I collect caps that has a team logo: e.g. L.A. Clippers etc.
And Miami Dolphins merchandise.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Don't really collect anything at the moment, but i do have some old stamps, used to collect those many years ago.

Collecting stuff seems like a cool hobby though, any suggestions ? :P

Well it depends on what you're into, I like paintballing so I collect paintball guns and the likes, if you like cards and sports then collect sport related cards and the likes.

I still to this day collect Pokemon cards. O.o
Not as crazy as I did when I was little, but every now and then it's fun to go through a booster pack. :)
Also, my husband and I collect Transformers. We have quite a few, but due to financial problems we haven't really had a chance to get back into it.
I also collect owl figurines. They're my favorite type of bird, and I think they make really cute decorations!
At some point I want to start collecting Pokemon plushies. I have a Yanma and Drifloon, but that's about it! :P

if you had the same Eevee plush with PLASTIC eyes, you lost a plush worth $50 absolute minimum, probably more like $100 :(

I collect beer bottle caps. I have over 50 different types (thank you Wegmans), and over 1000 caps total.
Strange, I also collect bottle caps from beers i have drunk. My collection is much smaller than yours though, I've only 11 but I'm just trying to keep one cap from each beer, sort of as a reminder to me.

A picture of my measly collection.

For those wondering, in order from top left going right, it is Mike's Hard, Coopers, Stella Artois, I'm not sure on the Winged Baby anyone know that?, Budweiser, Guinness, Singha, Fat Tire, TsingTao, Smirnoff Ice (I lost a bet), and The Beez Neez.

Only thing I regret is that I cannot see a way to feasibly save something from beers I have drunk out of cans. Oh well.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
if you had the same Eevee plush with PLASTIC eyes, you lost a plush worth $50 absolute minimum, probably more like $100 :(
Hmm, I think they were plastic. What sort of plastic was it? I remember mine being quite hard, and reflected light. Also, I think it was completely black, the eyes. Meh, it was a while back, althoug I really loved that Eevee one :( lost it during my move to this house.

Edit: Judging by your pic, doubt it was the same one. Yours have a white spot in the middle, mine probably didn't.

I collect nothing. I used to collect pokemon but stopped after the fossil and jungle.
I sort of stopped right around there as well. I bought a few booster packs of the new stuff that came out later on, but nothing of major collective value. I believe the last set of cards I own are those 'dark' Pokemon or the Rocket Pokemon cards that came out not too long after the original base sets.

As for me, I collect MTG cards. Have been since I was 12. Didn't have very much money at that age, so my collection was limited, and I got ripped off a lot by guys older than me who just shouldn't be involved in Magic (then again, they do it for the business/selling of it, not the buying/playing part). Until a few years passed by, I managed to get me a decent beginning career salary (graduated high school early at age 16 and started working/going to college at the same age as well) and with money gradually adding up, and nothing to spend it on other than school, a gf, apartment, car, cell phone, etc., I managed to start my collection again.

It wasn't until I was 17 that I won $125,00 in prize money from a tournament in Seattle, so that also helped my MTG collection. Doubt I'd be able to do that with Pokemon, and not much of a Yugioh card player (too kiddish for me -- and yes, that coming from a MTG player lol). In the beginning, the cards were of course expensive, due to being older and more valuable, but I've collected 5 of each card up until the current set (Scars of Mirrodin). Why 5 of each and not 4? I still play/build decks, and I'm always building new decks and then ripping them apart and trying out new combo's. I play mostly combo decks, but if not combo then combo/aggro or combo/control. The 5th card is merely a place holder for that card, and a additional back up card just in case I suppose.

And no, I'm not in my 30's or 40's -- I'm only 20 lol. I've got another good 10-years of playing MTG. As for collecting the cards, I'll be doing that until they finally end the sets. Much like buying/playing the new Pokemon games for the plot/new Pokemon, etc., I enjoy collecting/reading/learning about the new MTG cards that come out and without a hobby, people go insane, or too much of it they go insane too, but you know what I mean lol.

~ Aether Nexus

Gah these were a bitch to get out and set up..

Yes, I have terrible lighting, a messy room, and a messy desk. The nascar stuff is my dads, they happen to be models so we couldn't put them in the tv box you can see with the rest of his collection. I'm lazy and now probably packed full of dust from unpacking almost all of that.

EDIT: And fuck the stupid rubber on some of this shit, fucking bent as hell.

gk

mighty
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Outlaw for sexiest collection of all time. I am so jealous of your rampage I want to steal him.

I collect dvds... lots of 'em. Of late mostly anime stuff I guess, but my collection is pretty sizeable, I'll edit this and get some pictures up later, but for now:
http://surreal-monkey.dvdaf.com/

I've also been getting random anime/cartoon related toys of late, but they aren't anything impressive, but you'll probably be able to spot some in my dvd pictures.

Pokemon... stuff. >_>; Mostly plush, zukan (Japanese to-scale models), and TCG. But plushies are definitely the best!

(You wouldn't believe it, but yes, that is my room and I am indeed 22 years old. XD)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)