Whimsicott

I haven't really had much success using U-turn on Whimsicott. Unless you actually put a lot of speed EV's to outspeed most of the metagame (particularly max 328 speed dragons or 333 for garchomp), you're going to take enough damage for it to matter on effecting your leech seed stall and we all know how often dragons are used. I'm probably doing it wrong, but do people really use U-turn without investing in speed? It's amazing at scouting, but due to the fact that teams are see-able before matches, it doesn't matter nearly as much.

I've found Taunt and Encore a must have on the stall set despite it being a little predictable (Reuniclus will hit you hard still if you let it continue to calm mind after encore and that struggle damage can be really good, although you're going to need a really strong revenge killer after before it can recover).

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I haven't really had much success using U-turn on Whimsicott. Unless you actually put a lot of speed EV's to outspeed most of the metagame (particularly max 328 speed dragons or 333 for garchomp), you're going to take enough damage for it to matter on effecting your leech seed stall and we all know how often dragons are used. I'm probably doing it wrong, but do people really use U-turn without investing in speed? It's amazing at scouting, but due to the fact that teams are see-able before matches, it doesn't matter nearly as much.

I've found Taunt and Encore a must have on the stall set despite it being a little predictable (Reuniclus will hit you hard still if you let it continue to calm mind after encore and that struggle damage can be really good, although you're going to need a really strong revenge killer after before it can recover).
U-Turn is useful because Whimsicott forces a lot of switches. Use Leech Seed or Encore or whatever, then U-Turn lets you bring in something to counter whatever they switch to, rather than a blind double switch. Scouting is useful for much more than just finding out what's on your opponent's team.

Also, as you mentioned, most people don't put any investment into Speed, which means that you can often use it to safely bring in a frail sweeper as well.

Also also, Whimsicott should never be used as a SubSeeder, so the effect on that role is negligible.

With Prankster, speed is pretty much negligable; but adding U-turn onto the list, is it still a good idea to run a -speed nature and no EV investments?

I realize it's not worth it to try and invest Attack to power U-turn up, but I imagine it's still important that it goes first, so that even if they don't switch out, you can try and predict their attack and send out someone who can deal with it effectively.

I really wish the little bugger got Baton Pass. Might be cool with Cotton Guard, but it would render U-turn obsolete, as you'd be able to choose your guy after they switch, if they do, but before they would attack, if they didn't switch. Why does Whimsicott not learn it...

You don't need speed for u-turn because there will never be a situation where you need to u-turn out of something that is going to hurt you (unless you make a mistake, and then you can just switch normally). You're only going to u-turn either after you encore or as something switches in. The point of u-turn isn't to do damage, but even with 0 attack evs and a neutral nature you can do surprising damage to some grass types that switch in to take your leech seed (and weavile).

You actually want lower speed to deal with erufuun vs erufuun matchups. They end with both players using u-turn (unless you're facing the inexplicably common subseeder that you don't have to worry about anyway because it completely sucks), and going last will give you the momentum.

Baton Pass on erufuun would be really nice. It's almost strictly better than u-turn on erufuun and passing +3 defense around is no joke. Encore/Leech Seed/Cotton Guard/Baton Pass would be pretty sick. I'm personally hoping for an aromatherapy tutor though.

You don't need speed for u-turn because there will never be a situation where you need to u-turn out of something that is going to hurt you (unless you make a mistake, and then you can just switch normally). You're only going to u-turn either after you encore or as something switches in. The point of u-turn isn't to do damage, but even with 0 attack evs and a neutral nature you can do surprising damage to some grass types that switch in to take your leech seed (and weavile).

You actually want lower speed to deal with erufuun vs erufuun matchups. They end with both players using u-turn (unless you're facing the inexplicably common subseeder that you don't have to worry about anyway because it completely sucks), and going last will give you the momentum.

Baton Pass on erufuun would be really nice. It's almost strictly better than u-turn on erufuun and passing +3 defense around is no joke. Encore/Leech Seed/Cotton Guard/Baton Pass would be pretty sick. I'm personally hoping for an aromatherapy tutor though.
Not to get too off-topic, but I'd rather it didn't get aromatherapy; that's the last good thing Vileplume has going for it, and even then, it's far from alone.
But thank you for that description of U-turn, for some reason I completely blanked-out on how it all worked together; I was really afraid of getting hit because they chose not to switch, as I'm risky and want to run a sub-less taunter variant.

My reasoning behind this is, I've mentioned before I'm trying to make a mono-grass type team(worst type choice ever, but there are a lot of good options out there), and I couldn't find any grass-type rapid spinners, so an anti-lead Taunter seems good. Other than as anti-lead though, is there any real use for Taunt on Whimsicott?

Not to get too off-topic, but I'd rather it didn't get aromatherapy; that's the last good thing Vileplume has going for it, and even then, it's far from alone.
But thank you for that description of U-turn, for some reason I completely blanked-out on how it all worked together; I was really afraid of getting hit because they chose not to switch, as I'm risky and want to run a sub-less taunter variant.

My reasoning behind this is, I've mentioned before I'm trying to make a mono-grass type team(worst type choice ever, but there are a lot of good options out there), and I couldn't find any grass-type rapid spinners, so an anti-lead Taunter seems good. Other than as anti-lead though, is there any real use for Taunt on Whimsicott?
Whimsicott is taunt bait for Gliscor or other pokemon without it. I think that along with shutting down pokemon reliant on boosts/hazards is a good reason to carry it around cause it gets completely shut down from doing its job otherwise. Only other pokemon capable of taunting you is Thundurus with the same ability. It might be a good option to use with encore as well to force a struggle or a switch if you don't have roar, but only when they're low on health (cause encore lasts only 3 turns)

A really overlooked option on Whimsicott is Charm. With it, it can cause some incredible amounts of switches. I'd much rather use it than Cotton Guard, since it affects the opponent.

The choice between charm and cotton guard is a pretty good debate. There are pros and cons to both.

I prefer cotton guard. +3 defense reduces damage more than -2 attack, and you don't lose any value from the turn you use it if the opponent switches.

when you get a boosting match
if they are at + 6 they do 8x damage to you and sweep you

If tehy have -2 and crit they do 2 times damage and at least the next poke will have ease

Its my opinion only though

just asking, but how does whimsicott do with a trick room set? does his ability make it so he cab still go first if he's using non-attacking mpves in the trick room?

After Trick Room is already set-up, however, Prankster should still allow other non-attacking moves to go first.

I've had a lot of success with Light Screen on Whimsicott instead of Taunt. It makes a huge difference when up against teams with special sweepers and also allows Whimsicott to stay longer when mandatory (also helps with tanky pokemon that have red health).

Taunt is good, but I feel like a lot of people expect it now and most people will just try to hit you as hard as they can when you have it out (plus you can only prevent stealth rocks for so long). It is probably the better option against stall teams who rely on 3 different hazards.

I've had a lot of success with Light Screen on Whimsicott instead of Taunt. It makes a huge difference when up against teams with special sweepers and also allows Whimsicott to stay longer when mandatory (also helps with tanky pokemon that have red health).
I've sort of expanded on this in my own experimentation of Whimsicott. I've instead used it as a Dual Screener on my team, while running interference, scouting and wall-stopping.

Whimsicott @ Light Clay
Bold - Prankster
252hp/252def/4sdef
Lightscreen
Reflect
Substitute
Encore

With this set up my Whimsicott lead can use multiple openings depending on what it faces.

Used as a scouting lead primarily, Priority Subs allows Whimsicott to scout what your opponents move is, and thanks to Whimsicott's speed it also able to outspeed opposing priority users. If the user sets up entry hazzards, Whimsicott can hit it with Encore, then safely Dual Screen on the switch out. giving Whimsicott extra turns with a sub up to ensure that Whimsicott can come in later, and Encore, Sub or re-screen with impunity.

Whimsicott really supports HO teams because it's able to protect itself on atleast two screen setups before going down to residual, or combat damage.

Facing offense, Whimsicott can temporarily be very bulky by prioritizing the screen that is most needed, allowing you to survive long enough to get the second one up. The benefit to Whimsicott I feel, is that while it does not set up hazards itself, it is able to assist the team even after it's primary job is done.

A really overlooked option on Whimsicott is Charm. With it, it can cause some incredible amounts of switches. I'd much rather use it than Cotton Guard, since it affects the opponent.
I like both Charm and Cotton Guard. Charm works better on a set with U-turn, while Cotton Guard is usually the better choice if you're running a dedicated Leech Seed staller. It all comes down to what your team needs, really.

Best spread for this?

Bold: 252 HP/252 Def/etc
Careful: 252 HP/252 SpDef/etc
Does it need the hP, wouldn't it recover more with leech seed and sponge better if we just maxed out defenses?

I've sort of expanded on this in my own experimentation of Whimsicott. I've instead used it as a Dual Screener on my team, while running interference, scouting and wall-stopping.

Whimsicott @ Light Clay
Bold - Prankster
252hp/252def/4sdef
Lightscreen
Reflect
Substitute
Encore
I checked in the game and Whimsicott can't learn Reflect. Such a shame too T_T. I think the few extra turns from Light Clay can help though if you are looking for an opportunity to set up with other pokemon as sometimes leftovers won't be thaat beneficial if most of their team consists of hard hitters.

I run a certain Whimsicott in Doubles that has had pretty good success on a rain team, although I imagine it's not limited to that theme:

Whimsicott @ Light Clay
BOLD
+Prankster+
252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
-Light Screen
-Tailwind
-Encore
-Taunt

Usually Light Screens first, in the case of common party leads and Trick Room leads. In the latter case, I Encore Trick Room to reverse it on the second turn, then Taunt the user on the third turn (They usually stick in to re-apply it). Encore is also amazing on Fake Out users who try to stop Rain Dance and are often paried with their own setup pokemon for Trick Room etc.

Tailwind compensates for the speed loss in making a bulky Whimsicott, and allows it to outspeed other Whimsicott. Obviously this set isn't designed for Trick Room teams, though I have seen Whimsicott used effectively in that design.

Endeavor and Trick Room are also moves worth some consideration on this, if you can find a slot for them

I'm not trying to get a spot in the OP, I just want to bring attention to his potency in the double battle metagame since he is probably even more fearsome there than in singles.

I checked in the game and Whimsicott can't learn Reflect. Such a shame too T_T. I think the few extra turns from Light Clay can help though if you are looking for an opportunity to set up with other pokemon as sometimes leftovers won't be thaat beneficial if most of their team consists of hard hitters.
No reflect? so depressing. -_-

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but my Whimsicott is a GREAT Conkeldurr counter, I've used it against 2 or 3 Guts Conkeldurrs via Random Matchup, and has won each time. The set is

Erufuun (It's Japanese) @ Leftovers
Jolly (Best one I could find)
252 Speed/126 Defense/ 126 SpDefense (I think; I got from a trade so I'm not exactly sure but its stats suggest those EV's)
Prankster
Substutite
Cotton Guard
Leech Seed
Double Team (It's Random Matchup, where OHKO's and Evasion is allowed, but I'm replacing this with U-Turn if I use for FC-linked battles)
Basically, I Cotton-Guard twice as it Drain-Punches or Bulk Ups/Protects (to activate Flame Orb), then once they're doing pitiful damage, I Substitute so it can't be broken, then I Leech Seed and stall with Double Team if my Sub isn't broken, and just Sub whenever it does break.

Cheers :3

This is most probably way off topic, but doesn't it look like a nun with a bad hair day? lolol jokes aside though Whimsicott is one awesome pokemon. has anyone thought of a set based on offense, though, maybe for gimmicks?

I've thought of running this on a Sun team, along with Heatran, to set up the sun at +1 priority. I'm used to doing offensive 'Mons, so I've wondered how this set would work:

Stay Puft
Bold - Prankster
252 HP/100 Def/156 SpDef
@Heat Rock
Sunny Day
Taunt
Substitute
Leech Seed

Basically, I plan to switch in on a wall, Taunt it and try to set up a Sub, sun and then Leech Seed the switch-in before letting Heartran take the move meant for this lil' guy, since it resists everything that's super-effective on Grass, and is even immune to Fire (And Poison, not that it matters...). And if you're wondering about the lack of Encore, well, I'm doing this in the game and I bred my Cottonee before checking to see whether Encore was an Egg move. Good thing I was a slot short anyway...

And as for the weird EV spred, I have no idea, honestly. I shoved 100 vitamins down its throat in each of the two Defense stats, then hoped for the best. So currently, it has 100 in Def and SpecDef, while I'm going for the max HP. Yeah...

EDIT: Also considered Tailwind for support, but... There's no room for it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)