Wimpod, Golisopod Discussion

I'm loving this critter. This could be actually fun, it could work as an anti-terrain setter or something. I wonder if it works like Baton Pass tho, allowing it to pass any buff.

Is Emergency Exit literally Wimp Out all over again or does it do something more, like switching it right before the opponent's attack lands? Asking because the "sensing danger" part sticks out.

Wimp Out: The Pokémon cowardly switches out when its HP becomes half or less.

Emergency Exit: The Pokémon, sensing danger, switches out when its HP becomes half or less.

Wimp Out: The Pokémon cowardly switches out when its HP becomes half or less.

Emergency Exit: The Pokémon, sensing danger, switches out when its HP becomes half or less.
"Sensing danger."

So what does this mean then? That's what I'm asking. The switching out part is clear but when does it switch out when that criteria is met? JUST when it's 50% or less, or before it gets hit by an attack (hence the "sending danger" part) when at 50% or less? I mean I get this is GF, but giving the exact same ability to an evolution line under a different name just doesn't seem right to me.

"Sensing danger."

So what does this mean then? That's what I'm asking. The switching out part is clear but when does it switch out when that criteria is met? JUST when it's 50% or less, or before it gets hit by an attack (hence the "sending danger" part) when at 50% or less? I mean I get this is GF, but giving the exact same ability to an evolution line under a different name just doesn't seem right to me.
Wimpod is...a wimp it switches out because it's a coward.
Golisopod switches out because it knows that it can't win and is going to be KO'ed, it's a strategic decision (and because First Impression is combo).
The change in name is just to add some flavor and "character" behind the Pokemon.

"Sensing danger."

It has a different name because it sounds cooler to sense danger than to wimp out which fits more to the coolness of that evolution.

It has a different name because it sounds cooler to sense danger than to wimp out which fits more to the coolness of that evolution.
I'm not saying you're wrong at all, because GF likes to embellish things sometimes. But I'd like to see some actual data on it to know for sure (because the thing looks damn cool and I actually wanna use it :P). I mean if there's nothing extra there then so be it but ya know..... hoping here lol

Golisopod has tons of priority it can take advantage of to mitigate it's speed stat and a physical water stab stronger than Waterfall thanks to Liquidation. Also recovery through Leech Life. I have high hopes for the guy. He seems promising.

"Sensing danger."

It's just flavor text. It doesn't mean anything. Wimpod is a wimp, he switches out because he's a coward. Golisopod is a grown up beast, he switches out because he's wiser and making a smart decision.

So whats this Liquidation thing I'm hearing about?

Anyways, looks to be gimmick mon, but it'd be fun to use. Just be prepared to bring a Rapid Spinner and you'll basically have slow Archeops with a different type. Like that thing though, can't say any higher than NU.

So whats this Liquidation thing I'm hearing about?

Anyways, looks to be gimmick mon, but it'd be fun to use. Just be prepared to bring a Rapid Spinner and you'll basically have slow Archeops with a different type. Like that thing though, can't say any higher than NU.
New physical Water move with 85BP and a chance to lower target's defense. Basically a better Waterfall for this since it ain't outspeeding crap to get off that flinch chance.

keep in mind that the last VGCs was won in part due to a duo of red card fake out raichu, and intimidate assault vest hitmontop, so this can work within that kind of niche.

here's what i wanna know: will it activate during a multi-hit move? as in, if you take a m-kangaskhan return and the first hit knocks you below 50%, would it then switch out before the second hit?

Max HP/Atk with Band might be a good way to go.

Golisopod @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Attack / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Rock Tomb/Aqua Jet/Aerial Ace

STAB First Impression is hilariously powerful. Leech Life is semi-reliable recovery, Liquidation is a better Waterfall, and you have decent coverage with your last slot.

252+ Atk Choice Band Surskit Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 159-187 (45.1 - 53.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Surskit Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 235-277 (86.7 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Surskit Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 246-289 (68.9 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Max HP/Atk with Band might be a good way to go.

Golisopod @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Attack / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Rock Tomb/Aqua Jet/Aerial Ace

STAB First Impression is hilariously powerful. Leech Life is semi-reliable recovery, Liquidation is a better Waterfall, and you have decent coverage with your last slot.

252+ Atk Choice Band Surskit Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 159-187 (45.1 - 53.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Surskit Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 235-277 (86.7 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Surskit Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 246-289 (68.9 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I don't think running First Impression, a move that only works the first turn, on a choiced set is a good idea.

I don't think running First Impression, a move that only works the first turn, on a choiced set is a good idea.
Agreed. Honestly, I see an Assualt Vest in Golisopd's future. I mean, it would make it very difficult to take down due to it having the equivalent of 75/140/145 bulk and STAB Leech Life. Combine that with the synergy between Emergency Exit and First Impression, backed by a combination of STAB Liquidation, STAB Aqua Jet, Rock Slide/Tomb, Brick Break, Sucker Punch, and/or Poison Jab, and you have yourself a recipe for success.

In the end, though, no matter the set it ends up running, Golisopod will definitely be getting some attention. It is quite the interesting terrifying Bug monster, after all.

Last edited:
Yep, Assault Vest or Leftovers is the only option. Both will be very durable partnered with the healing from Leech Life. It has a lot of priority with its signature move, Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet to choose from. Honestly has a lot of potential as a bulky pivot with that ability.

If Emergency Exit activates at the end of the turn, rather than immediately after being hit that might actually be quite good, since you get to attack and its a safe switch for another Pokemon

Otherwise... well, Aqua Jet and First Impression let it move before being forced out at least, so it might still be workable, but kind of annoying.

Is Emergency Exit literally Wimp Out all over again or does it do something more, like switching it right before the opponent's attack lands? Asking because the "sensing danger" part sticks out.
Hey guys, do you remember in the ultra early DP days when there was a little mistranlation here, a lot of baseless speculation there and people thought Forewarn worked exactly like this, except you'd "auto-switch" before super effective moves rather than at low HP? Those were the days!

After looking at Golisopod for a while I thought of a possible set for it to run:

Golisopod @ Choice Band
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 HP
Adamant Nature

- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Leech Life / X-Scissor / First Impression
- Rock Slide

Golisopod is interesting in its ability: potentially switching out when its HP is lowered to half or less by a single move. This makes setting up impossible as you are guaranteed to switch out so instead we invest in maximizing our attack with an Adamant Nature, max Atk EVs, and a Choice Band. Defense and HP EVs are chosen as to hopefully give Golisopod bulk for moves that aren't super-effective. Aqua Jet is a priority STAB move while Liquidation trades priority for power. Next we have the moves that get STAB boost, with Leech Life giving Golisopod recovery, First Impression giving a strong priority, and X-Scissor just all around being a decent STAB move to go for. Lastly we have Rock Slide for coverage as well as super-effective hitting Flying-types that try to switch in.
An important thing to not about Golisopod is to not fear his ability but embrace it. In some circumstances, it can reveal that a Pokémon is carrying a super-effective move you may not expect or even give you a free switch-into something that checks it. It also resets your choice band so you can send Golisopod back in later with a new move that’s more appropriate to the situation.

Last edited:
Just made an account here NOW to ask a question about this guy.
Do you think he'll be more of a sweeper or a wallbreaker?
Seems like he's got the damage to break a physical wall and then survive the attempted revenge kill pretty easily.
But the decent bulk and priority+damage means he could also do well as a sweeper if his counters are dealt with.
Thoughts?
Also, two words.
PSYCHIC TERRAIN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)