Worst Pokemon Sprites?

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
i have a lot of pokemon in mind but i lied i cant actually remember any of them so heres 2.

and for reference here's a picture of the line together

drizzile is... kind of a trainwreck. i know middle evolutions are supposed to be like the weird transitional stage between "uwu cute" and "murder beast" (almost reminiscent of a person's phases in middle school-- in this case, emo) but this just aint it. the colors, the pose, it just isn't working together. and oh my god those fucking mittens who designed those

colors. eugh. in theory a palette of pure cool colors (and white) should work together but its just stitched together in the most incoherent way. the purple is too close to red to be decent, and that green is absolutely fucking with me. sobble has the blue/gold color scheme! inteleon has the blue/gold color scheme! and here's drizzile, a disaster. the worst part is that you can't fix the colors without the whole thing looking weird. im not a fan of the shiny form either, but at least it has somewhat consistent colors across the line. (plus its trans flag colors. instant redemption)

the pose is just awkward. thats it.

those mitten things are just weird considering the whole "spy" theme of inteleon but at least it masks the transition from sobble's lego hands to inteleon's freakishly humanoid hands. they couldve gone full meme mode and given it fingerless gloves but, here we are

and now for the biggest downgrade in all of pokemon

typhlosion.

typhlosion has something like quagsire (and a handful of other early mons)-- from the front theres just nothing. it's purely that cream yellow whatever color, then you have a bit of blue at the top and you're done. the fire is the main thing that draws attention. gen8 threw that nice pale yellow out in favor of Ass Yellow.

this is one of those rare cases where the gen2 sprite is WAY better than anything else. my only complaint is that the arm on the left is just a bit too long and too high. its shiny sprite is WAY better than the reworked ones. the purples look great on it compared to the weird red. (i DO like gen3's shiny though. its a nicer red.

most of the body is fine on the gen3-6 sprites but it looks like they didn't know what to do with the arms.

gen6 is just bad. where's the activity in the pose? where's the dynamic expressions? where's the fire? this sprite is a trainwreck and im sure you can see why

i have a lot of pokemon in mind but i lied i cant actually remember any of them so heres 2.

and for reference here's a picture of the line together

drizzile is... kind of a trainwreck. i know middle evolutions are supposed to be like the weird transitional stage between "uwu cute" and "murder beast" (almost reminiscent of a person's phases in middle school-- in this case, emo) but this just aint it. the colors, the pose, it just isn't working together. and oh my god those fucking mittens who designed those

colors. eugh. in theory a palette of pure cool colors (and white) should work together but its just stitched together in the most incoherent way. the purple is too close to red to be decent, and that green is absolutely fucking with me. sobble has the blue/gold color scheme! inteleon has the blue/gold color scheme! and here's drizzile, a disaster. the worst part is that you can't fix the colors without the whole thing looking weird. im not a fan of the shiny form either, but at least it has somewhat consistent colors across the line. (plus its trans flag colors. instant redemption)

the pose is just awkward. thats it.

those mitten things are just weird considering the whole "spy" theme of inteleon but at least it masks the transition from sobble's lego hands to inteleon's freakishly humanoid hands. they couldve gone full meme mode and given it fingerless gloves but, here we are

and now for the biggest downgrade in all of pokemon

typhlosion.

typhlosion has something like quagsire (and a handful of other early mons)-- from the front theres just nothing. it's purely that cream yellow whatever color, then you have a bit of blue at the top and you're done. the fire is the main thing that draws attention. gen8 threw that nice pale yellow out in favor of Ass Yellow.

this is one of those rare cases where the gen2 sprite is WAY better than anything else. my only complaint is that the arm on the left is just a bit too long and too high. its shiny sprite is WAY better than the reworked ones. the purples look great on it compared to the weird red. (i DO like gen3's shiny though. its a nicer red.

most of the body is fine on the gen3-6 sprites but it looks like they didn't know what to do with the arms.

gen6 is just bad. where's the activity in the pose? where's the dynamic expressions? where's the fire? this sprite is a trainwreck and im sure you can see why
Not only does Drizzile have a totally different color scheme (which I actually really like; I'm a sucker for blue and green) but it also has a totally different head shape. Sobble and Inteleon both have have similar-looking sail fins on their heads. Drizzile has... bangs with a vaguely similar shape? Doesn't explain the cowlick, though.

Typhlosian is funny cuz as early as Stadium he never flares unless he's attacking
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon also shows this, and even the anime. It's kinda like how Blaziken's arms don't flame when not battling
Poses helped him, but without the flame no one really liked him sadly. Too plain I guess

Oh, wow. I've disliked Typhlosion's Gen 6 model since it debuted, but I never really thought about how all its front sprites after Gen 2 were so... not painfully offensive, but certainly uninspiring. I've always felt Gen 2's sprites had this dynamic energy to them that future gens seemed willing only to use for intro animations, but this is case study numero uno.

Igglybuff's facial proportions changing after Gen 3 is interesting. Not sure why Gen 3 in general was poorly colored though

The artwork also had eye proportions change after Gen 3

Also unlike most GSC backsprites, Igglybuff's shrank for Gen 3

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Here's a Drizzile defense post from someone who didn't like it either at first.

The Galar starters aren't just humanlike animals. Their evolutionary stages mirror human development. The middle ones aren't just weird transition stages; they pretty clearly represent the awkward/edgy teen stage. Let's be honest, Raboot kind of looks like an edgelord. And while Thwackey gets off easier than the other two, it's still recognizably a teen.

I'm pretty sure Drizzile can change its colour. I think there's an animation in the games where it does this, though maybe I'm mixed up. Anyway, we know that Sobble can. I interpret the weird-looking green as a colour that Drizzile has chosen to display. It's out of place with the rest of the family because Awkward Teen Drizzile is going through a phase where it's experimenting with an iffy style that it will eventually outgrow.

I think the model does okay at getting this all across. Don't get me wrong, it's still not one of my favourites.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's a Drizzile defense post from someone who didn't like it either at first.

The Galar starters aren't just humanlike animals. Their evolutionary stages mirror human development. The middle ones aren't just weird transition stages; they pretty clearly represent the awkward/edgy teen stage. Let's be honest, Raboot kind of looks like an edgelord. And while Thwackey gets off easier than the other two, it's still recognizably a teen.
The majority of the JAPE crew when we judged the Galar Starters agreed with that assessment.

So there was another prototype leak today, for Gen 2. There was a lot leaked, multiple builds and a ton of emails and bug reports from within gamefreak. And of course there's a ton of new (old) pokemon we hadnts een before, likely dropped just before or just after the spaceworld build we know about https://gssource.neocities.org/sprites.html

but putting that aside, if you scroll down we have a later build, nearer to the final release and that means we got a lot more sprites and boyyyy howdy can you tell these things were still getting refined. Is it really fair to judge placeholder sprites as the design was still being finalized? No.

Will I still make fun of the incredible majesty of tyranitar? Absolutely.

So there was another prototype leak today, for Gen 2. There was a lot leaked, multiple builds and a ton of emails and bug reports from within gamefreak. And of course there's a ton of new (old) pokemon we hadnts een before, likely dropped just before or just after the spaceworld build we know about https://gssource.neocities.org/sprites.html

but putting that aside, if you scroll down we have a later build, nearer to the final release and that means we got a lot more sprites and boyyyy howdy can you tell these things were still getting refined. Is it really fair to judge placeholder sprites as the design was still being finalized? No.

Will I still make fun of the incredible majesty of tyranitar? Absolutely.
Wow! That leak has some real gems in it. I’m surprised you didn’t mention Tyranitar’s even more beautiful pre-evolution, larvitar.
690255E0-0DBB-4504-AE4B-43EDB7C3399F.jpeg

My hot take is that the celebi concept sprite is better than what we got.

Wow! That leak has some real gems in it. I’m surprised you didn’t mention Tyranitar’s even more beautiful pre-evolution, larvitar.
View attachment 240000

My hot take is that the celebi concept sprite is better than what we got.
Larvitar is at least obviously a placeholder sprite. Hilarious, absurd, but you get it
Tyranitar hypothetically could have shipped like that.

see also :both of dunsparce's sprites, "wobbuffet"'s sprite (at this point, it was still Twinz)

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I have a couple bad sprites to share. Both from gen 8.

IMG_20200424_225344.jpg

Ugh. Why do people actually like this thing? I may have never shown any hate for it here on Smogon, but anyone who uses Lobby on PS knows how much I hate this things design. That has got to be the ugliest mouth I have ever seen. And those ice bits on it's body... Is some of the laziest ice I ever seen. Seriously! Maybe I wouldn't even bring this Pokemon up if it weren't for the snom community being completely obsessed with it! They treat it like it's their god! And they cannot take it when someone says they think it's ugly! Well guess what! It is, and it's fact! ... Sorry, I just really don't like the snom community or this things design.

But nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to this next thing.
IMG_20200424_225656.jpg

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!! ... I don't even feel like talking about this thing! Just look at it yourself to see how badly designed it is! And to add salt to the wound, it's evolution actually looks pretty awesome!

IMG_20200424_225723.jpg

Look at it. Look at that menacing, awesome, well designed turtle. It's way better than chewtle!
Edit: Forgot to mention that I think these may fall under unpopular opinion category or controversial, but eh. Think what you want about em, as long as you accept my opinions I accept yours

Last edited:
I have a couple bad sprites to share. Both from gen 8.

View attachment 240002
Ugh. Why do people actually like this thing? I may have never shown any hate for it here on Smogon, but anyone who uses Lobby on PS knows how much I hate this things design. That has got to be the ugliest mouth I have ever seen. And those ice bits on it's body... Is some of the laziest ice I ever seen. Seriously! Maybe I wouldn't even bring this Pokemon up if it weren't for the snom community being completely obsessed with it! They treat it like it's their god! And they cannot take it when someone says they think it's ugly! Well guess what! It is, and it's fact! ... Sorry, I just really don't like the snom community or this things design.
E3
Finally, someone agrees with me
The Bug it's designed by looks a lot cooler too, and comes in different patterns.

It being Ice because it's clear doesn't really make sense since it's from the tropics. But above all I hate the literal butt face Snom has
As for Chewtle it is the very definition of big head syndrome, with derp teeth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)