wow, its been 16 years

Best memories I had was freezing a 202 Level Snorlax with my favorite mon Articuno during a Junior High battle :3

I was like the professor there, catching the legendary birds for people, answering questions and marvelling at this awesome creatures called porygon and Dragonite.

Also unlike you uncool niggas I had a green gameboy. You jelly? I think I have it somewhere with it's screen unglued due to aging ;_;

My pokemon Blue was brought to me as a gift when my dad came back from America (and was subsequently stolen by a jackass classmate out of spite) . 16 years and I still haven't caught them all, I'm starting to get frustrated :/

uh
my first game was blue even though i was 6 or 7 when i got it so i think ruby/sapphire were already out
i remember i thought i had to level up my bulbasaur til it learned razor leaf cuz i thought that that would let me cut down trees (ash cut down some bushes with razor leaf one time in the anime)
i also had the original handbook and i used that shit so much

Stratos

Banned deucer.
oh boy that handbook. i so had that, which is ironic because my first game was Ruby. (My dad had a gameboy but for some strange reason preferred Mario to Pokemon?)

"Sailors fear Gyarados's powerful HYPER BEAAAAM"

also:

You can go through Seafoam?
does this actually link up?

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
my first game was red, and the first time i played through i never figured out how to get the bike, so i had to walk through the whole game. :1

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RBY was loads of fun...

...anyone (like me) play this:

Despite not speaking ANY Japanese at the time? In Hawaii, EVERYONE played the Japanese games until the English ones came out. I remember the creative names invented to commonly refer to things:

"fire-starter"
"fire-second"
"fire-final"
"water-water"
"water-second"
"water-final"
''grass-

"owl-thing"
"big-owl-thing"
"squirrel-thing"
"ferret-thing"
"ladybug"
"happy-spider"

"Tree shaking move" (headbutt)
"Sparkly stars" (protect)

lol good times

When growing up, everyone I knew played pokemon. Tons of trading at the schools, battles, it was great. Died down around 3rd gen if I remember right.

Also, Goldenrod theme from the original GSC was amazing

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i was the exact same

when i was younger i just really hated catching mons, i have no idea why. i only wanted to catch the ones i would use. i just did rock tunnel in the dark every time
hahaha, when i was younger

i STILL never use flash!!

hugging those fuckin walls ugh i still know them by heart

Flash is overrated. It's easy to get through Rock Tunnel without it and the only time you actually need it was in GSC, when all you could see was yourself.

Man, caves! Pffft! I know every single cave by heart! W

Why? Because I hated looking for a pokemon that could learn Flash! So I would hug the walls, and then I memorized them.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i was the exact same

when i was younger i just really hated catching mons, i have no idea why. i only wanted to catch the ones i would use. i just did rock tunnel in the dark every time
I still do that lol, even when I nuzlocke I wont catch the shitty mons.

Also I still have my translucent purple SC, what an awesome piece of hardward.

Aaaaah the good old days~
Guess who still has their Charizard card from when he was maybe... 5?
DIS GUUUUUUUUUYYYYYY!

Although sadly, it isn't a holo card... -sniffles-

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I always though Running would give you some kind of penalty so I never ran from anything until past cinnabar island the first time I played Pokemon Blue. I had a bomb ass Golduck by the cinnabar gym that beat shit.

Also in the beginning of the game I could't find Professor Oak :( rough times

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My parents finally caved when I was 6 and got me the Pokemon Yellow special edition GBC... except I couldn't figure out how to get out of the damn house so I had to ask my mom for help =(

Also glen I still don't catch every Pokemon I see, I only catch the mons I want to use.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Misty: "Here is the Cascade badge..."

Toshio: Sweet!

Misty: "...all Pokemon under level 30 will now obey you."

Toshio: Wait what!?

*out in the wild grass* *shuffle* *shuffle*

That bitched lied to me!! Why aren't these fucking abras listening to me???? How do I activate the badges mind control powers???

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
yeah, i was never totally inclined to just catch pokemon to catch them. only the cool and cute ones duh??

although i spent meticulous minutes and probably hours sometimes hunting for dratini in the safari zone, and making sure i wasn't superfluously wasting my steps before i could catch him. kangaskhan too, elusive bastards

i'm not sure which game it was out of r/b/y but i worked so hard to get vaporeon, jolteon, and flareon to bring to BILL and run around him until he went on about "all his favorite pokemon" and took me to his backyard to catch mew or whatever… which never happened. :( same with getting surf and strength before beating lt. surge to move that stupid truck! BLAH

one of the most magical moments ever.

i was lost in one cave for years on crystal :(

i think it was the one that you find lugia in.

i didn't know about flash so yeah i was in there for literally years (i stopped playing for months at a time out of rage)

oh and i also got stuck at sudowoodo because i didn't know what it was. then i discovered the power of a water bottle o.o

That chick who tells you that if you lose to the Elite Four, you have to start again. Naturally I took her words a little too literally, and so here was little 8 year old me crying my heart out as I mustered the courage to press a button and let my last mon die or whatever, totally expecting Oak to come up to me afterwards and make me start my journey all over again. Suffice to say, my face when that didn't happen must have been golden.

Yeah, I nuzlocked before it was cool.

EDIT: Oh and I actually restarted my Gold because I couldn't figure out how to get off of the SS Anne trip or whatever and thought my game was messed.

Well I won't get too nostalgic since I'll probably fill several pages with memories, but it is nice to see there are older players like me who have been playing since the beginning.

For me, I was 10 and forced to play it on other kids' systems since I didn't have a GB of my own at the time, then on my 11th birthday I got the (then semi-new) GBC and Blue and well, history from there...sigh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)