XY OU Suspect Process, Round 3 - BATON PASS [READ POST #590]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that's the point, actually. Let's say there are 3 types of teams: BP, BP-counter, and Normal

It's established that BP-counter beats BP (because that's the point...)
BP beats Normal (or else there wouldn't be a suspect test...)
Normal beats BP-counter (is what you're arguing, and is probably true...)

BP-counter > BP > Normal > BP-counter seems to be indicative of balance rather than anything else. We can replace those terms with HO, Stall, and Balance if you like. The metagame is not unbalanced if there are counters to every playstyle. It's just more complex than some people are comfortable with.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, like in past gens where Normal WAS BP-counter and the relationship was a one-sided Normal >>>>> BP. Now BP is equally valid and introduces a triangle of team building types.

If some people are frustrated that they can't beat Water AND Grass with Fire, then we shouldn't cave in to them and remove Water and Grass.
Here's the thing, normal IS HO, Stall, and Balance, yet BP chains continue to over run these "normal teams" outside of the suspect ladder. Entering a ladder centered around BP, whether it be be the not so common (atm) BP chains, or the more common BP counter teams, with a "Normal team" means it can run over BP counter teams, which are everywhere in the suspect ladder, yet nowhere outside of it.

It's only proving someone can climb to the top using a normal team because of the amount of BP Counter teams, which would get you nowhere if it were regular OU play.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To add to the above, BP isn't an entire playstyle, it's one single team. There isn't just one Stall team or just one HO team, as archetypal common cores may be. But the entirety of the BP playstyle is literally just Scoliopede/Espeon/Sylveon/Vaporeon/Smeargle/Zapdos, even more so now that Denissss officially ditched his Mr Mime. And if having the metagame being reduced to one team, counters to that team, and counters to counters to that team isn't an example of overcentralization, I don't know what is.

Thing is without espeon I can easily send in something with roar/whirlwhind/dragon tail to get rid of scolipede easily.

You send in scolipede vs something that I can't touch.
I switch to skarmory
You boost
You baton pass or stay in
I whirlwhind.

Without espeon as part of the chain it becomes much easier to handle.

No magic bounce makes stall have a much easier time vs baton pass.
Agreed, but here's a thing that I've discovered concerning espeon during the suspect. Espeon does not need to be running BP to be a threat to stall. In fact, I've worked over many stall teams by simply leading with espeon, getting about 3 calm minds, and proceeding to sweep from there(pretty much the only way this fails is if the opponent has sableye (and I'm not running dazzling gleam that day) or SP defensive CM clefable). Scolipede, and BP in general, actually have very little to do with the fact that Stall struggles with CM espeon. It is also worth noting that regardless of which of the three options are chosen, CM Espeon will still be available to break stall. What BP and Scolipede especially have done is made CM Espeon viable against non-stall teams by passing it defense and speed, allowing it to stand up to mons that would otherwise completely work it over like TTar, scizor and megados.

So I've been hearing people stating quick pass scolipede is not broken, and I would like some elaboration on those arguments. As for the general lack of quick pass teams that have made reqs, I point to the fact that a grand total of one full BP user has made reqs so far, and yet we still generally agree that it is still broken. If we reject the above argument against the brokenness of full BP teams, then we cannot use that same argument for stating that quick pass teams are not broken. Many of the mons that work well against BP in general also work well against quick pass because they both rely on iron defense scolipede. To help, I will state exactly what iron defense scolipede is capable of doing, and you can decide whether or not it is still broken.

Scolipede @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk(8SPdef)
Impish Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- subs/rock slide/earthquake/megahorn/whatever you want really
- Iron Defense

Iron defense scolipede is primarily a support mon who is capable of consistently getting speed and defense boosts to pass to another team member at little personal risk. The number of mons that scolipede is capable of setting up in front of is actually quite staggering, and the number of mons that scoli can successfully "escape" from (baton pass away) is even more so. Simply put, any physical mon that is slower then scolipede is little more then a free iron defense to it, as there is no physical mon slower then an uninvested scolipede capable of killing it through an iron defense boost, and that includes mons with a powerful SE STAB like TTar and Medicham. Faster phys mons fair only slightly better, if they lack a boosting move, scolipede wins every time by protecting first then setting up in their face. If they do have a boosting move, then it turns into a 50/50 coin flip at best, if scolipede predicts the boosting move and gets an iron defense up, you are screwed because no boosting move besides shell smash can keep up with scolipede in both speed and attack/defense. If scolipede predicts an attack, he protects first and then iron defense. This is all assuming that the faster mon in question is capable of OHKOing a +0 scolipede, further limiting this particular pool of pokemon. Pokemon in this catagory include rock polish Terrakion, Breloom(spore), and Salamence. There are a grand total of four physical mons (3 OU viable ones) that I have found to be capable of anti-leading scolipede, and those are speed invested DD megazad-X, speed invested M-Pinsir, CB Infiltrator Ninjask (look, I really like ninjask, k?), and pretty much any talonflame. There are no known physical scolipede counters as +2 scolipede is capable of taking a friggen CB Tflame brave bird. Once scolipede gets out with one or two iron defense boosts and one to 3 speed boosts, your team is in trouble. As I have shown in multiple replays, if you don't hit the swap in hard as it comes in or the turn immediately after, you are going to get swept no matter how many priority users and revenge killers you packed into your team, because all your priority users are physical and therefore borderline useless in the face of those defense boosts and your revenge killers are prolly gonna get outsped and ohko'd. The only other option is to have a stupidly bulky phazer capable of taking a hit from the sweeper and phasing it out, but espeon kinda laughs at that.

Obviously, that's not the entire story, there are still special mons to consider. Special mons have an easier time preventing scolipede from getting boosts. If you have a special attacker with respectable special attack and/or an SE attack plus a speed boosting move, scolipede will be forced to hard swap. Furthermore, there are a few mons capable of outspeeding a +1 scolipede, which include deo-s, megazam, and trace gard (only if led into scoli), these mons can force a hard swap even without a speed boosting move. If you lack a speed boosting move and are not one of those 3 mons, then scolipede will be able to get his speed and BP out, this includes taunt thundy (only once obv). If scoli has a mon capable of swapping into your special mon and ohko it the next turn, then you will likely be forced to hard swap or sac your scoli anti-lead. Hard swapping isn't bad, as you are really only looking at a mon who is likely at about half-ish hp with +1 speed, but there are a decent number of mons who can be threatening with nothing more then +1 speed (like bulky zard-x), so the swap in is likely going to get hit rather hard, possibly 2hkod. Scolipede anti-leads are pretty much any mon with a speed boosting move like volca, rock polish lando-I, and agility proygon-z, as well as pre M-Evo gard. The only known special scolipede counters are mega alakazam, speedy deo-s, and sometimes taunt thundy-I (gotta get rid of that mental herb first).

So there are a grand total of three mons capable of swapping into scolipede and preventing it from swapping, 3. This is the primary basis I have for scolipede being broken, it is far too reliable at what it does, and the support it provides can frequently lead to significant holes being made in the enemy team. Furthermore, scolipede doesn't have to lead. It frequently does because it's a pretty good scout capable of passing at least speed at little personal risk, but it does not need to. Every team I have faced on the ladder has had at least one mon who is total setup bait for scolipede, and that mon is usually a physical revenge killer (usually Bisharp, ttar or Mamoswine). It is darn easy to lure out a revenge killer to, well, revenge kill, all it really takes is a fast threat like LO deo-s. When they take the bait and kill said threat, scolipede gets in and sets up for absolutely free, and unless scolipede is significantly weakened or the opponent is carrying one of scoli's 3 hard counters, scolipede gets 1 or more iron defense boosts and passes them out and there is nothing the opponent can do to stop this from happening. This lack of counterplay available to the opponent is a large portion of the reason why I believe scolipede is broken. The opponents best hope is that he can hit the swap in hard, if he fails to do so, he will probably be swept. Given that BP gives swap initiative, this is a rather difficult task because if the scoli user has even one pokemon that hard counters the mon you have out, it's gg from there.

That is not all though. Look again at the set, the third move specifically. That third move can be darn near anything. During this entire analysis, I have assumed scolipede only has three moves. But scolipede normally has four moves, and that fourth move can allow it to bypass a lot of his checks. For example, I personally like running rock slide on my scoli to pick off weakened genies and megazard-Y, both of whom are normally solid scoli checks and one of them is one of scoli's "counters". Earthquake allows it to hit heatran and aegis very hard, 2 other very solid scoli checks as the former is a bulky phaser and the latter hits darn near anything stupid hard, and megahorn allows it to catch psychics like megazam and deo-s on the swap in and is it's strongest neutral option. So not only is scoli difficult to stop, he has options for getting around mons that would normally be a hard stop or at least a very solid check to him. I personally dislike subs, as I think it's a waste of valuable health and free turns, but it does stop para, which scoli hates with a passion.

So what this analysis shows is that scolipede can "do his job" very reliably. It is very rare for me to go a game without pulling off at least one defense pass, and it's usually either against dumb stuff like haze blastoise and perish song whatever or against a very special attack heavy team. However, while I discussed some likely outcomes of scolipede providing this support, I did provide a few very clear methods of counter play, namely packing a very bulky phazer, having something that can stall out the swap in, even with boosts and hitting the swap in very hard on the special side. Of those three, only two of them can really be circumvented VIA magic bounce, which is the phasing and outstalling. There is only one mon that can outstall espeon and that is specially defensive CM clefable. There are several special mons which are difficult to find swap ins for, and those include Thundy, Lando-I, Aeigi, specs darn near anything, and NP anything. These are a lot of options on the offensive end, and it probably why offensive teams are able to handle scolipede so well (and probably a large part of the reason why I never got reqs).

So to close out, I ask three questions. 1. Is this analysis accurate? 2. If so, does this analysis describe a pokemon that is balanced in the OU meta? 3. If not, what did I miss?

I have used quick pass scolipede extensively on the suspect ladder, I peaked at 2.5K COIL and about 1.4K ELO. I have written this analysis based on my experiences on said ladder to the best of my ability. If you do believe that scolipede is unhealthy for the meta like I do, then option 2 will not solve that problem and only option 3 can address it. If you feel otherwise, then by all means vote option 2, especially if you want to preserve iron defense scolipede. I do not have any meaningful replays that I have not already posted on this thread, but if you want to see them again and don't feel like going back, feel free to PM me, I certainly have plenty of replays illustrating the points I have made in this analysis.
Max Spd +Spd non Scarf Deo-S outapeeds Scoli after one SB right?

is there a reason why there isn't a thread on this in victory road?
Apparently because VR is mostly as dead as a door nail and therefore there wouldn't be much point.
Surprisingly, the Protect + 3 attacks Scolipede variant has been putting in huge work for me over the last dozen or so games. Maybe this is because everyone is expecting the BP set, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I'm sure most people have come across a few teams floating around utilising quickpassing Scolipede. In my opinion, while this is a strong technique, it is obviously not "broken" to the same extent as a full chain. Indeed, the fact that quickpassing is viable and even formidable increases diversity in the meta and is a reason why option 3 is far from an ideal solution.
Catching Talonflame and Pinsir with a Rock Slide as they come in to try and stop you from what they believe to be quick passing is indeed quite a thrill. Agreed also about quick passing with Scoli not being broken.
What BP and Scolipede especially have done is made CM Espeon viable against non-stall teams by passing it defense and speed, allowing it to stand up to mons that would otherwise completely work it over like TTar, scizor and megados.
Exactly; viable, not broken. You can also see it coming a mile away in preview when you see Scoli + Espeon and generally all you need is a special attacker that can harass them. Special set-up sweepers can also be a problem depending on your team design.

There is however, a nice little trick for overcoming that last issue; Baton Passing into a CM Unaware Clefable which counters any sweepers that try to set up alongside your Scolipede: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126572237

Agreed, but here's a thing that I've discovered concerning espeon during the suspect. Espeon does not need to be running BP to be a threat to stall. In fact, I've worked over many stall teams by simply leading with espeon, getting about 3 calm minds, and proceeding to sweep from there(pretty much the only way this fails is if the opponent has sableye (and I'm not running dazzling gleam that day) or SP defensive CM clefable). Scolipede, and BP in general, actually have very little to do with the fact that Stall struggles with CM espeon. It is also worth noting that regardless of which of the three options are chosen, CM Espeon will still be available to break stall. What BP and Scolipede especially have done is made CM Espeon viable against non-stall teams by passing it defense and speed, allowing it to stand up to mons that would otherwise completely work it over like TTar, scizor and megados.
Well duh magic bounce and magic guard pokes are threats to stall. They can beat them singlehandly. That is irrelevant to baton pass discussions though.
252+ Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Espeon: 146-174 (43.7 - 52%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
Not to reliable and this is w/o choiceband or other boosting item.
In return espeon needs +6 to ohko: +6 0 SpA Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 384-452 (95 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 0 SpA Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 192-228 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

If you want to beat stall you really don't even need baton pass at all. Sure it may have a few options against espeon, but for the most if you can take care of them stall, already in a losing position.

Physically defensive Magic Bounce Espeon With CM, Morning Sun, Stored Power, and dazzling gleam can set up on and sweep most stall members.

Baton pass only plays a small part in this skewed matched up.

I think ingrain should be added to this. I mean, roaring or whirlwinding or dragon tailing away something in the BP chain is one of its few counters, and preventing that is one of the things that makes this so broken. There is no pokemon that can naturally learn both of these moves for a GOOD REASON, I think, and the fact that BP chain users resort to the likes of Smeargle to obtain this broken combination speaks volumes. I also think that while magic bounce isn't a big deal, as it can't be baton passed, that BPing speed boosts is very broken. I think you need a fourth option. I'm going to join in on this test thing, now that I know what's being tested.

Inglorion Uninvested, scolipede reaches 390 speed with a single speed boost. By comparison, + speed base 130s reach 394 speed. This is well within deo-s reach without a scarf. With full speed investment and pos nature however, scoli can reach 527.5 speed (dunno how they do the rounding), which is well outside of unscarfed deo-s's range (for reference, timid max invest deo-s has 504 speed). Without the pos nature though, deo-s can outspeed quite easily. I don't know many scoli's who go for full speed investment though. Hope that helps.

Lil YoshiXD There is no need to ohko ttar, 2hkoing is fine. That being said, due to the fact that ttar is one of the few phys mons that actually threatens espeon at +2 defense, I personally opt for HP-fighting over dazzling gleam. And I believe the fact that espeon vs stall is lopsided is relevant to BP discussions because one of the key members of BP happens to be a magic bounce user, espeon to be exact. If you send out a phazer against a scoli-espeon core, regardless of whether it's quick pass or full BP, you either A have a phazer that can beat +2 defense espeon (not many of those), B led with your phazer and it beats +0 espeon, or C are going to attempt to phaze and pray that when you get bounced out, the swap in is something that can handle espeon. Also as an FYI, non fire blast ttar is total setup bait for scoli, meaning that you will likely have to swap into espeon, who will prolly CM as you swap in.

jbtc10 Here's the issue with espeon being even viable against non-stall teams. As we have established, espeon can almost single handedly sweep stall teams. If that was pretty much all it could do, that's perfectly fine because in every battle not against stall, espeon would be borderline death fodder. What scolipede has done is allowed espeon to become a very dangerous sweeper even against "not-stall". Now, espeon isn't the end-all of sweepers even with scoli support, but the fact that we have a mon who is completely shutting down one archetype means that the rest of the teamslots can go to countering offensive threats, and indeed this is exactly what you see if you look at the infamous Denis team that is being spammed on the ladder. Every single member that isn't espeon on Denis' team is dedicated to shutting down important offensive threats and pretty much nothing else (ingrain and subs are pretty much the only exceptions).

Lil YoshiXD There is no need to ohko ttar, 2hkoing is fine. That being said, due to the fact that ttar is one of the few phys mons that actually threatens espeon at +2 defense, I personally opt for HP-fighting over dazzling gleam. And I believe the fact that espeon vs stall is lopsided is relevant to BP discussions because one of the key members of BP happens to be a magic bounce user, espeon to be exact. If you send out a phazer against a scoli-espeon core, regardless of whether it's quick pass or full BP, you either A have a phazer that can beat +2 defense espeon (not many of those), B led with your phazer and it beats +0 espeon, or C are going to attempt to phaze and pray that when you get bounced out, the swap in is something that can handle espeon. Also as an FYI, non fire blast ttar is total setup bait for scoli, meaning that you will likely have to swap into espeon, who will prolly CM as you swap in.
I'm saying baton pass isn't what makes the team beat stall, espeon is. Even without physical defense boosts espeon can beat and set up on most common stall members: MegaSaur, Chansey, Heatran, Chestnaught, Sylveon, Skarmory, Quagsire. You could 5 other pokemon to deal with offensive threats that aren't baton passers and still probably beat stall.

Scolipede can't take too many stone edges.

I think some people are overestimating 3-Baton Pass teams. There are some that says you only need 3 Baton Passers to make a broken team. In my opinion, this is not the case. Full-Baton Pass teams are so successful and potentially broken because of the fact that it is arguably combining the traits of 6 Pokemon into a deadly sweeper. Each Pokemon in a Full-Baton Pass team has a specific role and function to ensure the win. Vaporeon, with its great defensive typing and huge HP stats, helps boosts the team's defense immensely while also providing a huge Substitute. Sylveon (and Mr. Mime if you run it) provides Special support as well as allowing more coverage options. Scolipede and Espeon's role is already widely known. Even Smeargle helps the team tremendously with Ingrain, Quiver Dance, Spore, etc. Zapdos (if you're running it) helps deal with flying spam while simultaneously providing Special Defense boosts with Charge. It is the combination of the 6 Pokemon that makes Full-Baton Pass teams so powerful. By only allowing 3 Pokemon with Baton Pass, you effectively damper the power of Baton Pass teams. While it may still be effective, it is no where near broken. You loose the massive amount of support each Pokemon in the chain brings by being forced to only have 3 Baton Passers. Loosing three Baton Passers in a chain means that Baton Pass teams lose the coverage and support that the three extra Baton Passers provided, meaning that the amount of checks and counters of Baton Pass widens extremely. Yes it may be powerful with just 3 Baton Passers, but it will not be broken. Not to appeal to authority but Denniss, in his RMT, says that it isn't even worth trying to build a Baton Pass team with just 3 Baton Passers. Therefore, Option #2 is a very effective and efficient way of nerfing Baton Pass to the point where it will no longer be broken while having minimal collateral damage.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-126745290

just said it can't take stone edges......this is why i support complex ban #3. prime example. just espeon and scolipede and its gg.
It is really about time that someone said this. People need to stop posting replays in which they beat whatever is being discussed at that particular time as a potential counter.

To begin with, the majority of replays posted here that I have seen have absolutely no value whatsoever. In this particular case, the guy literally stayed in with his Terrakion and let you set up all over him. He apparently carried Taunt and didn't feel like trying to put it to use in the beginning, when you didn't have boosts. Instead, he decides to CC a Scolipede. Sure, you had Mental Herb. Sure, you had Magic Bounce. Does that mean you just say screw it, get your +6? On top of that, he spams CC against freaking Espeon while it literally sets up to hits little heart's content.

If you want to post a replay, at least make it worthwhile, not against someone who played absolutely horribly. People shouldn't even be posting replays to show how something isn't a counter unless they can provide a replay for every battle against that particular counter with them beating it a significant majority of the time.

If you want to post a replay, at least make it worthwhile, not against someone who played absolutely horribly. People shouldn't even be posting replays to show how something isn't a counter unless they can provide a replay for every battle against that particular counter with them beating it a significant majority of the time.
You mean like this one?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-124004135

That's a CB Terrakion rock slide, and Scoli takes it easily.

Some calcs just to show I am not BSing you.

252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Rock Slide vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 156-186 (48.1 - 57.4%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 210-248 (64.8 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 260-308 (80.2 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These are some of the strongest SE STAB physical moves that the tier has to offer, and Scolipede can survive it all. Not happily, to be fair (I dare you to find me a wall that enjoys taking an SE BB from CB raptor), but he can take them and swap out next turn.

The above replay and a few other decent ones are on page 4. There's one of me vs Aj on page 5, and a couple more on page 12. Rock Polish terrak can check scolipede about 50-ish percent of the time for what it's worth. Choice Banded physical mons in general will fail to stop scolipede but can prevent him from passing a second time if they hit hard enough.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Sorry FFS, just put it in the first post or something...and what was the terrak gonna switch out to?

I strongly support complex ban #3, banning espeon and scolipede. Scoli has the ability to gain unbalanced numbers of stat boosts easily, without much ability to be stopped by almost all pokes, forcing you to go out of your way, say...always use talonflame... to check it. and even then, it can put in a sub on the switch and then iron defense while talon breaks the sub. or iron defense on the switch for that matter. Scoli+espeon has the ability to literally define the meta, the proof being most people are unwilling to use it because its so cheap (I'm in that boat). Scoli's stat boosting prowess allows any decent pokemon with stored power to wreck the entire meta, with extreme stat boosting to all stats only pokemon that have the ability unaware can take. Even then, unaware quagsire will still take a lot of damage from espeons stored power, with it having a BP so high.

It really shouldnt be this complicated, its blatantly obvious that scoli+espeon alone is broken, and forces you to build a team not just with those threats in mind, but also limits your teambuilding capabilities by forcing you to run sets that are semi-obscure for certain teams. JUST THE PRESENCE OF SCOLI AND ESPEON TOGETHER BREAKS MANY POSSIBLE TEAMS. If you have problems with certain pokemon, thats what a third bp user is for.

Really, I don't understand why the ban hasn't been issued yet. It's obvious that even 3 BP users can define the meta, and just 3 BP users with several wallbreakers or pokes that can widdle out BPs checks and counters is probably just as dangerous as full on BP itself.

You mean like this one?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-124004135

That's a CB Terrakion rock slide, and Scoli takes it easily.

Some calcs just to show I am not BSing you.

252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Rock Slide vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 156-186 (48.1 - 57.4%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 210-248 (64.8 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 260-308 (80.2 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These are some of the strongest SE STAB physical moves that the tier has to offer, and Scolipede can survive it all. Not happily, to be fair (I dare you to find me a wall that enjoys taking an SE BB from CB raptor), but he can take them and swap out next turn.

The above replay and a few other decent ones are on page 4. There's one of me vs Aj on page 5, and a couple more on page 12. Rock Polish terrak can check scolipede about 50-ish percent of the time for what it's worth. Choice Banded physical mons in general will fail to stop scolipede but can prevent him from passing a second time if they hit hard enough.
You got everything but that last part.

Sorry FFS, just put it in the first post or something...and what was the terrak gonna switch out to?

I strongly support complex ban #3, banning espeon and scolipede. Scoli has the ability to gain unbalanced numbers of stat boosts easily, without much ability to be stopped by almost all pokes, forcing you to go out of your way, say...always use talonflame... to check it. and even then, it can put in a sub on the switch and then iron defense while talon breaks the sub. or iron defense on the switch for that matter. Scoli+espeon has the ability to literally define the meta, the proof being most people are unwilling to use it because its so cheap (I'm in that boat). Scoli's stat boosting prowess allows any decent pokemon with stored power to wreck the entire meta, with extreme stat boosting to all stats only pokemon that have the ability unaware can take. Even then, unaware quagsire will still take a lot of damage from espeons stored power, with it having a BP so high.

It really shouldnt be this complicated, its blatantly obvious that scoli+espeon alone is broken, and forces you to build a team not just with those threats in mind, but also limits your teambuilding capabilities by forcing you to run sets that are semi-obscure for certain teams. JUST THE PRESENCE OF SCOLI AND ESPEON TOGETHER BREAKS MANY POSSIBLE TEAMS. If you have problems with certain pokemon, thats what a third bp user is for.

Really, I don't understand why the ban hasn't been issued yet. It's obvious that even 3 BP users can define the meta, and just 3 BP users with several wallbreakers or pokes that can widdle out BPs checks and counters is probably just as dangerous as full on BP itself.
You really seem to fail to take into account what the other 4 Pokemon in the standard chain do. Look at Espeon's moveset and tell me what it's not hitting at all and what required a significantly large number of boosts to KO with Stored Power. Then convince me that Scolipede, Espeon and a third Pokemon can attain these boosts with ease.

The rest of the chain is crucial in that it covers weaknesses, divides the burden of setting up and keeps the momentum going. Just because Magic Bounce and Speed Boost are crucial doesn't mean the rest of the chain is expendable.

Last edited:
I think it should be left as it is because I rarely encountered BP teams playing OU, when I did, I managed to stop it with no frustration or preparation. I only started using it to show someone what I was talking about. It's not a widespread enough problem. Prankster or mould breaker stop it completely. At leas thats what I've found.
Then you've been very lucky. More than half the people I've fought use baton pass chains, and I've tried a lot of strategies to beat them. Prankster can help, but many of the status effects (non volatile ones, anyways) don't carry down the chain, and once you boost enough confusion is just shrugged off with ingrain and/or aqua ring healing. Freaking ingrain completely prevents pseudo hazing, and the few pokemon that actually do learn true hazing moves can't stand up to the chain's insane power long enough, and even if you do, they can kill your hazer and start the chain over again because every single blasted pokemon they use has baton pass. Mold breaker is only really any good for getting through espion.

Magic bounce is fairly predictable and it's pretty straight forward to take out Espion, when you see a baton pass team (and you will know when you see one, only a select group of pokemon can learn the move) to send out a pokemon first apart from your trap setter who can take it out quickly because, let's face it, Espion has pitiful defenses, and it's not like Magic Bounce can be BPd (thank goodness) but stored power is another matter entirely, once the blasted chain goes full circle and comes back to it.

The worst part is a lot of them will use overpowered pokemon like Zapdos which only learn the move from a very obscure source (In this case, pokemon XD, and you can only obtain one this way) which I highly doubt would tend to have good stats or even a decent nature normally.

I would propose to ban baton pass on any pokemon with speed boost or knowing the move ingrain (since that's not a natural thing anyway) and maybe limit to four pokemon on a team with the move, so you can still run a good chain if you want to go that way. I don't know what I'd do about Espion, it's so broken that it defies logic...

I've experimented with BP chains myself, a little, but I don't like going full out because it feels like a cheap, broken gimmick to me. While we're at it, I don't like how people can choose their pokemon's hidden power type at will when in the games its a complete crapshoot.

Then you've been very lucky. More than half the people I've fought use baton pass chains, and I've tried a lot of strategies to beat them. Prankster can help, but many of the status effects (non volatile ones, anyways) don't carry down the chain, and once you boost enough confusion is just shrugged off with ingrain and/or aqua ring healing. Freaking ingrain completely prevents pseudo hazing, and the few pokemon that actually do learn true hazing moves can't stand up to the chain's insane power long enough, and even if you do, they can kill your hazer and start the chain over again because every single blasted pokemon they use has baton pass. Mold breaker is only really any good for getting through espion.

Magic bounce is fairly predictable and it's pretty straight forward to take out Espion, when you see a baton pass team (and you will know when you see one, only a select group of pokemon can learn the move) to send out a pokemon first apart from your trap setter who can take it out quickly because, let's face it, Espion has pitiful defenses, and it's not like Magic Bounce can be BPd (thank goodness) but stored power is another matter entirely, once the blasted chain goes full circle and comes back to it.

The worst part is a lot of them will use overpowered pokemon like Zapdos which only learn the move from a very obscure source (In this case, pokemon XD, and you can only obtain one this way) which I highly doubt would tend to have good stats or even a decent nature normally.

I would propose to ban baton pass on any pokemon with speed boost or knowing the move ingrain (since that's not a natural thing anyway) and maybe limit to four pokemon on a team with the move, so you can still run a good chain if you want to go that way. I don't know what I'd do about Espion, it's so broken that it defies logic...

I've experimented with BP chains myself, a little, but I don't like going full out because it feels like a cheap, broken gimmick to me. While we're at it, I don't like how people can choose their pokemon's hidden power type at will when in the games its a complete crapshoot.
Zapdos is OP? Ingrain should be hit but Espeon's fate is unknown? HP types are relevant to BP? How a Pokemon gets a move matters?

I'm honestly confused how many of these points are relevant.

Magic bounce is fairly predictable and it's pretty straight forward to take out Espion, when you see a baton pass team (and you will know when you see one, only a select group of pokemon can learn the move) to send out a pokemon first apart from your trap setter who can take it out quickly because, let's face it, Espion has pitiful defenses, and it's not like Magic Bounce can be BPd (thank goodness)

I would propose to ban baton pass on any pokemon with speed boost or knowing the move ingrain (since that's not a natural thing anyway) and maybe limit to four pokemon on a team with the move, so you can still run a good chain if you want to go that way.

Zapdos is OP? Ingrain should be hit but Espeon's fate is unknown? HP types are relevant to BP? How a Pokemon gets a move matters?

I'm honestly confused how many of these points are relevant.
Oh, a couple of them aren't, it's just me ranting about a couple of things that frustrate me. I have a tendency to rant when I get going a bit. You'd never see a player with a Zapdos knowing baton pass online in X or Y because nobody HAS that, the move is just close to impossible to get, but that was just me ranting.

Yes, Zapdos can be extremely overpowered when it is added to a BP chain, because if it receives a physical defense boost, it can increase its special defense while simultaneously setting up an electric attack to hit for double power(charge), and with a base 135 special, even if it isn't passed a special attack boost, that packs one hell of a wallop, and it does this while padding its special defense (which it can then pass). And it can roost off any damage. The thing has only two type weaknesses due to the flying type nullifying both the ground weakness and electric cutting the weakness to itself from flying, so yes, I personally find Zapdos a little broken when included in a BP chain. Not nearly as much as Espion. Maybe allow espion but ban its hidden ability? I don't know enough about Espion personally. I'm making suggestions, not pronouncements, and I, personally, don't know what to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)