Your Favorite Theme in Pokemon?

The ORAS credits legitimately made me cry. Now, part of that is because ORAS is the first game I ever beat on my own cartridge (the other games being emulated or borrowed from a friend), but the medley and the scenery and the return to that pond and the extra battle at the end...

God, this made me want to play ORAS again.

Today is X and Y anniversary, so here are some tracks I love with no clear order.

- Coastal Kalos routes:
A majestic track as you travel through the highlands and seaside, the number of Pokémon available grows notably. It's like the adventure is now truly beginning.

- Shalour City:
The instrumentation here is beautiful, the Asian and European inspiration is notable here, giving you a sense of mysticism to this port city. Could it be linked to that giant tower at the cente-

- Tower of Mastery:
How fitting that we get a remix of the Pokemon main theme itself for this area. Mega Evolution being this ancient power passed from generation and generation, it has existed for a long time and it's time for us to unleash it.

- Power Plant/Pokeball Factory:
This song gives strong techno futuristic vibes, fitting for the 'fabulous' Team Flare, while also having a serious tone encouraging you to stop them.

- Scary House:
CONFESSION TIME: I spoiled myself with the X and Y ost before playing the game and when I listened this track I imagined "oh this must be for the obligatory scary dungeon with ghosts and creepy moments" only to get disappointed with a one-time filler cutscene. Nevertheless this is a good track, should have played at least in the Lost Hotel...

- Route 15:
This song signals our adventure is entering its latter half and the end is closer, as we travel through the autumn forest and traverse through the strong blizzard.

- Dendemille Town:
Again, the European influence is strong here. You can feel you are exploring this folkloric town in the middle of the snowy mountains.

- Anistar City:
This is probably one of my favorite city/town themes in the series. Similarly like Route 15, it has a futile, yet beautiful feeling to it, proper for the Kalos region. Two events from this city come to mind when listening: Lysandre's declaration and the old man passing away.

- An Eternal Prison:
One of the most melancholic themes in the series, as it tells the sad legend of AZ, and how well the song goes along it. The many lives lost at the war, the regained hope when Floette came back to life. However, AZ wasn't going to let them have it, as the song suddenly shifts more dramatically, signaling the desire of revenge and the brutality caused by the Ultimate Weapon. Then, the song goes back to the first notes, as AZ is alone again and filled with immense regret for what he did, a feeling he carried for literal millenniums.

- The Sun Shines Down:
A reprise of the previous song, with a more victorious and satisfying feeling as AZ gets a beautiful closure. Cue the Fletchling. (Also, love the small cameo this song had in ORAS ending, almost got me there)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some more Pokemon Masters remixes:

VS Summer Trainer: Last time we talked about the Summer Event which brought us the Jigglypuff themes among a few others. Well there was one theme I forgot to mention which was a unique Trainer Battle theme called "Battle! Summer Trainer". Not sure if it's based on anything but sounds nice, bouncy and has that Caribbean calypso music feel you usually associate with summertime on the beach.

VS Cyrus: Didn't like what they did with the Cyrus theme in USUM's Rainbow Rocket episode? Well this one I feel is maybe a bit more closer to what you'd like about the original Cyrus battle theme. Bombastic, heavy on the horns, and at points has that rising tension feel the original gave you to remind you that you're battling a villain team leader who's trying to destroy the world in order to create one in his own twisted vision. So no pressure.

VS Latios (aka Hoenn Wild Theme): Well it's not like they'll have a reason for needing the Hoenn Wild Theme so using it as Latios is fine (like they did in ORAS and USUM). Though if they bring in Latias I hope they give her own unique remix.

Kanto Elite Four: So recently the source code for Sun & Moon was leaked and we've found some neat stuff. No, sadly no beta Pokemon (at least not yet), but there was an interesting programmer note that suggested if they had the time if they could give each Elite Four member a variation of their theme. Sadly that didn't come to pass, BUT looks like Masters had the same idea. Masters recently added in the Champion Stadium where you can challenge the Kanto Pokemon League, first the Elite Four and then the Champion (Blue). And they gave each Elite Four member their own variation of the Kanto Trainer theme:
VS Steven, Cynthia, & Lance: So remember when Pokemon Masters was first revealed they made that beautifully animated trailer where it opens up with Korrina, Cheren & Misty going up against Steven, Cynthia & Lance? Well, now we have a combine remix of the Champion themes! They did a nice job blending them together, even if some are kind of abrupt like "OKAY IT'S MY THEMES TURN NOW!".

VS Red, Cynthia, & Kanto Gym Leader 1 Year Anniversary Theme: For Master's 1 year anniversary they remixed these popular themes. And this video comes from Pokemon Japan's official Youtube so a good chance this one won't be taken down!

VS Leon: Oh, wow, putting the cart before the horse here. They haven't even added any Galar trainers but we already got Leon's theme. Wait... what's that... Oh yeah that was a thing. I need to make a correction, this isn't Leon's theme but the Hall of Fame theme. Sorry for the confusion.

VS Azelf (Lake Guardians): *Eye twitches* Well, I have no problem with Azelf, its my favorite of the three actually. A strange remix, wouldn't call it bad but sort of messes with your head with the strange sound effects.

Jessie & James: To promote the newest movie, Jessie & James were added to Masters having travelled through space & time chasing a Celebi. They're not totally out of place, Jessie & James were in Pokemon Yellow & Let's Go. And with them comes a few themes, including a remix of the background music for when they're saying their motto:
Aether Family: One of the teased trios in the original Masters Trailer, the Aether family are here each bringing their own theme, Lillie's being made into a battle theme. They sound as you expect, which is kind of odd for Lusamine as her theme has a tinge of sinisterness to it even though she's not insanely evil anymore:
And finally here are some remaining ones, including the one from the current Halloween event:

Some more Pokemon Masters remixes:

VS Summer Trainer: Last time we talked about the Summer Event which brought us the Jigglypuff themes among a few others. Well there was one theme I forgot to mention which was a unique Trainer Battle theme called "Battle! Summer Trainer". Not sure if it's based on anything but sounds nice, bouncy and has that Caribbean calypso music feel you usually associate with summertime on the beach.

VS Cyrus: Didn't like what they did with the Cyrus theme in USUM's Rainbow Rocket episode? Well this one I feel is maybe a bit more closer to what you'd like about the original Cyrus battle theme. Bombastic, heavy on the horns, and at points has that rising tension feel the original gave you to remind you that you're battling a villain team leader who's trying to destroy the world in order to create one in his own twisted vision. So no pressure.

VS Latios (aka Hoenn Wild Theme): Well it's not like they'll have a reason for needing the Hoenn Wild Theme so using it as Latios is fine (like they did in ORAS and USUM). Though if they bring in Latias I hope they give her own unique remix.

Kanto Elite Four: So recently the source code for Sun & Moon was leaked and we've found some neat stuff. No, sadly no beta Pokemon (at least not yet), but there was an interesting programmer note that suggested if they had the time if they could give each Elite Four member a variation of their theme. Sadly that didn't come to pass, BUT looks like Masters had the same idea. Masters recently added in the Champion Stadium where you can challenge the Kanto Pokemon League, first the Elite Four and then the Champion (Blue). And they gave each Elite Four member their own variation of the Kanto Trainer theme:
VS Steven, Cynthia, & Lance: So remember when Pokemon Masters was first revealed they made that beautifully animated trailer where it opens up with Korrina, Cheren & Misty going up against Steven, Cynthia & Lance? Well, now we have a combine remix of the Champion themes! They did a nice job blending them together, even if some are kind of abrupt like "OKAY IT'S MY THEMES TURN NOW!".

VS Red, Cynthia, & Kanto Gym Leader 1 Year Anniversary Theme: For Master's 1 year anniversary they remixed these popular themes. And this video comes from Pokemon Japan's official Youtube so a good chance this one won't be taken down!

VS Leon: Oh, wow, putting the cart before the horse here. They haven't even added any Galar trainers but we already got Leon's theme. Wait... what's that... Oh yeah that was a thing. I need to make a correction, this isn't Leon's theme but the Hall of Fame theme. Sorry for the confusion.

VS Azelf (Lake Guardians): *Eye twitches* Well, I have no problem with Azelf, its my favorite of the three actually. A strange remix, wouldn't call it bad but sort of messes with your head with the strange sound effects.

Jessie & James: To promote the newest movie, Jessie & James were added to Masters having travelled through space & time chasing a Celebi. They're not totally out of place, Jessie & James were in Pokemon Yellow & Let's Go. And with them comes a few themes, including a remix of the background music for when they're saying their motto:
Aether Family: One of the teased trios in the original Masters Trailer, the Aether family are here each bringing their own theme, Lillie's being made into a battle theme. They sound as you expect, which is kind of odd for Lusamine as her theme has a tinge of sinisterness to it even though she's not insanely evil anymore:
And finally here are some remaining ones, including the one from the current Halloween event:
You're gonna drop all of those and not even mention Zinnia? Wonderful melding of the Hoenn trainer theme and Zinnia's own, featuring a gorgeous, soaring violin solo other arrangements (*Cough* Smash theme *Cough*)...sadly lack.

Pokemon Gym Theme

Listening to it gets me pumped up for the upcoming Gym Leader battle. It is one of my favorite staples in Pokemon and I'm glad that it is present in every generation (USUM has a Kantonian Gym). Shoutout for Black 2 and White 2 for having different variations of the theme per gym leader and to Sword and Shield for separate lobby and actual gym themes. My favorite versions for this theme are RBY and GSC (gotta love that 8-bit classic) as well as ORAS (TRUMPETS!).

I mentioned it. These were just the recent ones added since I last posted.
And so you did. My bad.

Pokemon Gym Theme

Listening to it gets me pumped up for the upcoming Gym Leader battle. It is one of my favorite staples in Pokemon and I'm glad that it is present in every generation (USUM has a Kantonian Gym). Shoutout for Black 2 and White 2 for having different variations of the theme per gym leader and to Sword and Shield for separate lobby and actual gym themes. My favorite versions for this theme are RBY and GSC (gotta love that 8-bit classic) as well as ORAS (TRUMPETS!).

My personal favorite is the XY version: My immense Gen VI nostalgia aside, there's just something so simple and relatively calming about that iteration.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Just to make sure, you meant the music kind of "theme", right? Not the setting or lesson kinds? Okay. just making sure before I post

If there's two things I have an obsession over, they'd be Italian food and DS/Wii era game music. Narrowing down my favorite music from the DS/Wii era of Pokemon games is... well, you'd have a better chance of seeing me punch a baby in the face in the middle of a city street than seeing me try and attempt this. That's how hard it is.

No, I do not support hitting children.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
New DLC means a whole batch of new music:

Overworld Themes:
  • Crowned Tundra (Wild Area): A nice mix of both calm & gentle that then quickly builds to be big & bombastic. You've travelled to a frozen land covered in crispy white snow that then opens up to this wide explorable area where powerful Pokemon roam and Legends hide. Its perfect exploration music giving you that urge to keep going but also to take some time and enjoy the scenery.
  • Peony Encounter: ... AND mood whiplash! No matter what you're doing, no matter what the scenario, when Peony is on the scene you better get ready for shenanigans!
  • Max Lair: A nice funky tune to jam to while you're getting ready to go on a Dynamax Adventure or coming back from one.
  • Freezington: Having a sort of music box feel, it's a calm even serene theme. Though at the same time there's something a bit "mystifying" to it, I can't quite put my finger on it, like it sort of makes it feel you're out-of-place in this location.
  • Titan Ruins: A familiar theme to a veteran Pokemon fan, or at least someone who played a Hoenn game. A theme that just screams ancient mystery.

Battle Themes:
  • VS Peony: Any theme can improved by a jazzy saxophone.
  • Dynamax Adventure: Not exactly a battle theme, but certainly a theme of action & triumphed as you set out on an adventure going against multiple Max Raid battles and then a Legendary Boss at the end.
  • VS Legendary Max Raid: A more dynamic version of the Max Raid music, you know, cause Legendary. It sounds fine... but I would still rather if all the Legendaries had their proper theme.
  • VS Calyrex: The theme starts slow as Calyrex makes its grand entrance with loud echoing horns. Then we get to the battle theme proper which is a nice bop. It's not as much to get you excited as much as to present Calyrex and its kinglyness.
  • VS Wild Horse: A tense theme to emphasize the dangerous situation that everyone is in. Someone in the Youtube comments points out the pace of the theme is similar to that of a galloping horse which is a nice visual to imagine, Glastrier or Spectrier tearing through Freezington.
  • VS Rider Calyrex: A combination of both Calyrex's and Wild Horses' theme. The Wild Horses theme adding some intensity to the Calyrex part though Calyrex's theme calming some of the more chaotic elements of the Wild Horses; pretty much the same relation that Clayrex has with his steed.
  • VS Titan: We got new Regi so of course we got to bring back their theme! It's a nice remix, It's less intense than the one ORAS had though I think has some more sound effects which emphasize the strangeness of the Titans, especially with there being two new ones.
  • VS Legendary Bird: Hey, it's an actual theme instead of a remix of the Kanto Wild Pokemon theme! Awesome... so will the normal variants get their own remix of this theme in future generations? Anyway, a really energetic and chaotic theme, which I feel is appropriate for these twisted remixes of the Legendary Bird Trio.
  • VS Swords of Justice: This is where I would put a Swords of Justice theme... IF THEY MADE ONE!

• VS Legendary Bird: Hey, it's an actual theme instead of a remix of the Kanto Wild Pokemon theme! Awesome... so will the normal variants get their own remix of this theme in future generations? Anyway, a really energetic and chaotic theme, which I feel is appropriate for these twisted remixes of the Legendary Bird Trio
The first notes kinda sound like a dark reprise of SwSh wild battle theme. Which is fitting since the kanto birds theme in FRLG is also a more serious remix of its wild battle theme.

There's been a bit of Gen VI bashing on the other thread, so I thought I'd counterbalance it with some of my faves from the XY soundtrack in particular.

Can we talk about how much the "lol Route 1" music slaps? As if you needed another example of XY's wasted potential, imagine actually getting to hear this one for more than fifteen seconds.

More route themes. Route 8 has that nice march feeling (although you have to contend with those damn Diglett and Trapinch sneaking up on and trapping you). Route 15 is not only majestic, but perfectly-placed in the pacing. I don't think I've ever heard a piece that marks the transition from midgame to lategame better.

Finally, this one's just fun. I'm pretty sure we all just stood in a boutique for a couple of minutes just to jam out to this.

I also complained a bit about the FRLG soundtrack, so here are a couple of my faves from that to balance it out:

And a couple from Let's Go, because damn does Kanto work well with an orchestra:

This is basically the Unova version of this, and I love it for exactly that reason.

Are anime songs allowed?

I don't remember this track in the anime, especially since there's no victory road there, but dang is this a good remix of the path to the Pokemon League.

I think most of us associate it to Magmar's brutal debut. I also remember Ash and friends making that dangerous jump at the Cycle Road, and of course, Ash vs Gary and his near invulnerable Blastoise at the Silver Conference. Fitting, since this is Blue's battle theme.

A while ago I asked in the SQSA thread about a remix of the Eternatus 3 theme that appeared in the Pokemon Direct at the start of the year that advertised the DLCs...

A remix of 'Eternatus 3' (i.e. the Zamazenta & Zacian vs Eternamax theme) was played during the Pokemon Direct at the start of the year for the two DLCs. The background music is obscured a bit by the trailer commentary, but becomes clear at about 12:47 in the video linked.

Has this version of the theme been used in the games officially at any point? Did it appear in DLC1, did I miss it in the base SWSH soundtrack, is it a possible DLC2 track or might it not be released at all ever? :psysad: Thought I'd ask because the tune is honestly a bop...and it'd be a shame if the only way to listen to it was for twenty seconds of the trailer!

Until about twelve hours ago I assumed it was a trailer-only soundtrack, until this Xmas for which I got a Switch with the Sword+DLC bundle, so I'm finally playing gen8 after about a year of moaning criticising feeling like SWSH wasn't the game for me, despite what I liked about it - including the Eternamax theme and fight. So I load up the game, encounter Leon for the first time and...

...it turns out that the Eternatus 3 remix was in the games all along as Leon's encounter theme! The reason most people had missed it was likely because it has a VERY lengthy intro and only plays during the basic story cutscenes that people are likely to button-mash through. That might be a problem for me to run into later after I play more of the game and get sick of the handholding, but for now I'm very happy that I can bop to this masterpiece without listening to trailer commentary.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
...it turns out that the Eternatus 3 remix was in the games all along as Leon's encounter theme! The reason most people had missed it was likely because it has a VERY lengthy intro and only plays during the basic story cutscenes. That might be a problem for me to run into later after I play more of the game and get sick of the handholding, but for now I'm very happy that I can bop to this masterpiece without listening to trailer commentary.
Huh, bit of an odd decision. Reading comments, someone brought up this is more a theme for the Twin Heroes, thus this jauntier version being used for Leon's encounter theme/leitmotif is meant to signify him being a hero. But the problem with that idea is as girazard points out, we really only hear this during the early parts of the game and by the time they play Eternatus v3 we've forgotten it. Heck, even if we/you didn't, it would feel random as we would have associated the theme with Leon and not the Twin Heroes (who has their own theme, a simplified version we heard when we first encountered them at the start of the game & the completed version when we battle & catch them in the post game).

Speaking of the anime (if it is indeed allowed), the route 4 theme for me epitomises the triumphant feeling of overcoming an obstacle in Pokemon. It's the first major roadblock/dungeon that you encounter in the Kanto games and hearing this music triumphantally blast as you emerge is an incredible feeling. The theme really gives you a tremendous sense of accomplishment after overcoming your first obstacle, but also hope for the future of your Pokemon journey.

I'm sure this has probably been said a thousand times but in terms of in game music, route 119 and 120 have always stood out to me. Firstly, becuase they are arguably among the greatest routes in the franchise geographically, but also because the music that plays here expertly manages to capture the sense of adventure and exploration that going on a Pokemon journey should entail. For me, these two routes are the definition of adventure in the Pokemon games both musically and geographically.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's been over 3 years since I last posted in this thread.
You haven't heard from me in a long, long time (, mostly since I thought I had nothing of value to add to any of the threads).

Speaking of hearing though, I've recently been listening to a lot of Pokémon OSTs over the holidays to relax a bit with my favorite franchise.
With SwSh having been out now for over a year, I figured I'd revisit the music and update the list of my all-time favorite Pokémon OSTs:

Let's start with what I think is the best battle music in any Pokémon game ever.
Incidentally it comes from the Pokémon game that gets overlooked the most: Pokémon Battle Revolution.
It definitely reminds me of something you'd hear in a Resident Evil Mercenaries game.
They really don't make battle themes like these anymore.

While it's safe to assume that we're all familiar with Cynthia, one of the most notable Champions in all of Pokémon history, I also wanted to welcome the opportunity to place the emphasis on the piano part that plays before the actually battle theme. While D/P/Pt had some issues with some of the OSTs, I think that this is easily one of the best ones that greatly manages to set the mood for one of the most unforgettable champion battles.

While it's safe to assume that Diantha is the most forgettable Champion in all of Pokémon history, I can't help but like her theme.
I bet you have already forgotten her name again by now, haven't you?
In all seriousness though, I like the use of the bells in the background and I think that it complements the theme of her team.

Kalos really had a lot of bells ringing throughout the region. This OST is no exception.
I absolutely love both the relaxing and mystifying atmosphere it creates.

Now, here's a bit of a classic. This is incidentally the track I commented on in this thread years ago:
I guess you could say that it's like the calm before the storm.
The waves in the background are like the voices of the tide that speak in a whisper about your journey and the pebbles being washed up on the coast dance and tremble in anticipation of the adventures yet to come.
At this point the ocean's "pulse" becomes one with your heartbeat and gives you one last quiet moment, allowing you to gain new decisiveness, before you depart once again for new adventures.

In a similar vein, D/P/Pt's Route 209 OST, specifically the version that plays during the night, is always nice to revisit and an all-time classic.
This is incidentally also the track I'm looking forward to hearing the most in future remakes of these games.

Ah, yes, one of Unova's finest OSTs in my honest opinion. This sounds like something Joe Hisaishi would play for a Studio Ghibli movie.

While admittedly not every track in ORAS was a resounding success, I honestly believe that the Abandoned Ship OST was definitely one of the best new adaptations.

The Distortion World, one of the most memorable places in Pokémon Platinum. It's definitely an eerie track that matches the overall bizarre layout of this place, both peaceful and menacing at the same time.

I'm well aware that this one might be a bit of an unpopular choice that is overlooked (overheard?), but I actually genuinely like ir in a weird way.
I genuinely think that it's an oddly relaxing track. [galar lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study/mine]
Maybe my music tastes are bit too, how do you say, underground?

Bonus Round:

Here you'll find some notable remixes of Pokémon OSTs that I mentioned in my list above. Enjoy!

It has been several years since I last posted in this thread. I wanted to make a new post here, both as an update and in order to hopefully spread some positivity since I recently made two posts in the least favorite music thread. I also wanted to include even more favorite themes from various games, as well as music from games that I did not include in my previous post because I forgot about them or because hadn’t played them at that point. There’s of course also music from the newer games which have been released since then. I tried to write a short explanation as for why I like all of these themes, but it was hard. I find it very hard to explain why I like music (both from video games and in general) more than by just saying “I like it”. Still, I tried. I also had a very hard time writing this post on the whole, and I almost scrapped it completely several times.

I did not add links to every single track because I am lazy, and everything should be on Youtube anyway. The only ones I have linked to are some that I felt are better explained with a link. I should also mention that there is a lot more music I like from the Pokémon games, but I decided to limit it to just a few top favorites from each game here.

I have only included music from the games I have actually played, so that’s why there’s no LGP/E or any of the other spin-offs apart from the few ones listed here.
R/B/Y
The first games in the series, Blue was also my first Pokémon game. They had some great music too.
Favorites:
Route 24/25: This one feels quite victorious, which is suitable for the last routes in terms of numbers even if they aren’t the last routes you visit in the games.
Vermilion City: I love how energetic this feels. It sort of captures the feeling of having completed the early parts of the game and that the real game is now about to begin.
S.S. Anne: Mostly happy but with a somewhat sad undertone, it is bittersweet which I think is very suitable for an area which you won’t be able to visit again anymore once the ship sails away.
Celadon City: I like how this is happy and energetic, it feels suitable for a big city which is surrounded by nature. I prefer this over the theme that plays in Saffron and other cities.

G/S/C
While this is my least favorite generation, I still think it had some pretty good music.
Favorites:
Goldenrod City: I really like the melancholic feeling this one gives. I think that it perfectly captures the atmosphere of a big city, which is really fantastic for the first really “big” city in the series. When I played G/S/C, I often spent a lot of time in Goldenrod without really doing anything just so I could listen to the music.
Route 42/43/44/Lake of Rage: I have always loved this one and how it creates a feeling of a grand adventure.
Tin Tower: Majestic and mysterious, perfect for a tower with a weird puzzle that I had a very hard time figuring out as a kid, and then finally a legendary bird roosting on the top once you manage to reach it.
Raikou/Entei/Suicune Battle theme: First unique legendary theme in the series and I think it was really amazing for its time, I remember falling in love with it the first time I heard it in Crystal. I prefer the remake version nowadays though.

R/S/E
While I find the “trumpets” of the R/S/E soundtrack to be a bit overrated, I still think it has some really great music. The new better technology also allowed the music here to be more technically advanced than in the previous generations, which was neat.
Favorites:
Gym Leader Battle theme: Amazing Gym Leader theme, one of my favorites in the series. I love how it sort of steps up from the regular battle theme, as if it is telling you that this is no longer a playground, it is serious business.
Abandoned Ship: A bit bittersweet and mysterious, I think it suits the Abandoned Ship perfectly.
Mt. Pyre (outside): This one has a fun beginning and then it becomes a bit mysterious which is perfect for this place.

Battle Frontier: Awesome theme for an awesome area. I spent a lot of time at the Battle Frontier and despite listening to the music for so many hours, I never got tired of it. I love how it starts with a big surprise and then continues to be amazing throughout.
Frontier Brain Battle theme: After having battled through a bunch of battles at the Frontier, you have finally reached a boss. And when you get to battle them, they come with their own amazing battle theme! I have many memories associated to this theme from the times when I battled the Frontier Brains and I always loved listening to it again when I managed to get to rebattle a Frontier Brain or reach a new one I hadn’t battled before.

FR/LG
Solid remakes on the whole, the same goes for the soundtrack. Many of my favorite tracks from R/B/Y got remade in great new versions, and to my surprise, a few from G/S/C too!
Favorites:
Cinnabar Island: I like this one better than in the originals because it sounds very happy and energetic here, suitable for an island full of life and joy.
Sevault Canyon: A remix of Route 42/43/44/Lake of Rage from G/S/C, and this is honestly my favorite version of this theme. It sounds so energetic and awesome, perfect for going out on new adventures in unexplored areas!
There’s also Vermilion City, SS. Anne and Route 24/25, which I like for the same reasons as in the originals. I think the remake versions of them were just as fantastic as the original versions.

Colosseum & XD
These are two of the few side games I have played, they were fun games and they had some really excellent music too.
Favorites:
Overworld Map (Colosseum) / Orre Colosseum (XD): This one is just epic. Sometimes I would stay at the Map screen in Colosseum or at Orre Colosseum in XD just so I could listen to this theme.
Miror B's Theme (Colosseum): Really weird theme, completely different from anything I had previously heard in Pokémon. But it is amazing and super suitable for a weirdo character who has several dancing Ludicolo.
Friendly battle: This one doesn’t play in many battles, but it is one of my favorite battle themes from Colosseum, I definitely prefer it over the regular battle theme. I really like how happy and energetic it is.
Colosseum Credits: Epic beyond words, one of my favorite credits themes in the series. I love how it mixes in some themes from the main game like Mt. Battle and Relic Forest, but makes some changes to them to make it sound different but still familiar at the same time. Sometimes when I played Colosseum, I would go back and beat the final bosses again just so I could get to the credits and listen to this awesome music.

Heroic theme: It has been many years since I played XD, but IIRC this theme only played at one or a few moments during the main story. I like how it gives an inspirational and happy feeling. It is as if the game is telling you to not give up, you can do this!
Miror B's Theme (XD): Miror B made a return in XD… but his old theme didn’t! His new theme is just as awesome as his old one though, even if it is a bit less unique. But I don’t mind, I love this one as well.
Wild Pokemon Battle (Pokéspot): This is very fun to listen to and very different from usual wild Pokémon music, which is suitable considering how different wild Pokémon encounters were in XD compared to in the main series.
SS Libra: A pretty sad theme, very suitable music for this ship which got stolen by Cipher/Shadow Lugia and later dropped in the desert.

D/P/P
I really like the Sinnoh games and I think they had some really awesome music too.
Favorites:
Jubilife City: Similar to Goldenrod, I think this captures the feeling of a big city very well. It is a bit more happy and less melancholic than Goldenrod but the happy parts never take over too much, it hits the balance just perfectly.
Gym Leader Battle theme: Another great Gym Leader theme. This sounds a bit darker than most other Gym Leader themes, I like it.
Canalave City: Slow-moving and a bit melancholic, I love it. I really liked to spend time at the library in Canalave, and I remember back in 2007, I used to think that this theme would be perfect if it played in a real library. I often imagined that this theme played when I was in the library in my local city which I visited quite a lot during the Gen 4 days since it was right next to the school I was going to then. Guess I should have brought my DS with some headphones and a Sinnoh game with me so that I could actually listen to it too!
Route 216/217: It starts a bit slow and quiet, then it escalates into madness after a while. Suitable for those routes which had a lot of snow and the constant snowstorms going on.
Sunyshore City: I remember when I first arrived in Sunyshore City in Pearl and this music played, I got very surprised. I love how energetic and fun it is to listen to, similar to the theme in Vermilion City.
Credits: While not quite my favorite credits in the series, I think it is still good enough to be included here. It starts of a bit bittersweet and slow, then it gets a bit more energetic but without ever sounding too happy.

Distortion World: Very calm for such a crazy world, but the good thing about that is that you can stay calm while listening to the music instead of freaking out. I love it.
Giratina Battle Theme: Another great legendary theme, with many different parts that flow together perfectly. It is epic and really suits Giratina.
Frontier Brain Battle theme: Different from the Emerald theme but just as awesome and it captures tension of facing a Frontier Brain so very well.

HG/SS
My least favorite Pokémon games, and while I think their soundtrack is a bit below average for a Pokémon game, they still have a few excellent tracks which deserve some praise.
Favorites:
Ecruteak City: The remakes went for different approaches for the music in Ecruteak and Cianwood despite them being the same in the originals, which was neat. While Cianwood is calmer and stays truer to the original, I prefer the Ecruteak theme. It captures the traditional feeling that Johto was supposed to create very well, and I think it goes very well together with the overall atmosphere of this city.
Ho-Oh Battle theme: Yet another great legendary theme, it suits Ho-Oh perfectly and I definitely prefer it over Lugia’s theme.
Cinnabar Island: HG/SS failed in many aspects, but they absolutely nailed it with this theme. It suits the situation and area so perfectly that I don’t know what to say. Like with Goldenrod in the originals, I would often fly to Cinnabar in the remakes just so I could listen to the music there.
Radio music - Variety Channel: I talked about this in the other thread but decided to include it here too since this is the better place for it. While this is basically just the Goldenrod theme without the main melody, I actually prefer it over the actual Goldenrod theme since this one removes the happy part and therefore, I think it does a better job at capturing the melancholic feeling from the original Goldenrod theme.
Unlike the other remakes, I do not like all the new versions of the old music in HG/SS. Though I still like some more of the tracks I liked from the originals, such as the Raikou/Entei/Suicune battle theme and the Bell Tower theme.

Pokémon Battle Revolution
Another of the very few side games I have played. This game seems to generally be heavily disliked and criticized by most fans, but I personally liked it and had lots of fun with it. It also had some really great music.
Favorites:
Pokémon selection theme: As mentioned in the likes thread a while ago, I love this. It is just so calming and relaxing to listen to, I could listen to it for ages without getting bored.
Magma Colosseum: It starts a bit mysterious and quiet, then it gradually builds up into a bigger melody which is amazing.
Sunny Park Colosseum: Fun and energetic, I like it a lot.
Sashay's theme: I like this one a lot. I remember going through one of the rounds at Stargazer Colosseum where Sashay appears many times after beating said round, just so I could battle her and listen to this music again.

B/W
My favorite generation, favorite games, and also my favorite soundtrack in the series.
Favorites:
Entralink: This one just sounds so majestic and epic, I’m not sure if it is a suitable track for the Entralink but I like it a lot.
Emotion/Unwavering Emotions: This theme is really emotional and captures the essence of every moment it plays in so very well, I love it!
Route 10: A melancholic and bittersweet track, suitable for the last route during the main game. The adventure is almost over, but with every ending comes a new beginning.
Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem Battle theme: Another great legendary battle theme.
Black/White Credits: I think this is the best credits music in the series. It is just epic beyond words, a suitable ending theme for an epic game.

B2/W2
Tied with B/W for both being my favorite games in the series and for having my favorite soundtrack in the series. I won’t include any music that already existed in B/W here though.
Favorites:
Aspertia City: A perfect theme for the first (and so far, only) starting city in the series. To me, it gives the feeling that there’s always a new adventure that can be started, but at the same time, you can always come back home to take a rest whenever you need or want to.
Reversal Mountain (White 2): I prefer this over the Black 2 version. This one adds an extra melody which makes it sound more fun and interesting.
Route 21/22: Another great route theme. Bittersweet in a way, similar to Route 10 in B/W.
Iris Battle theme: Best battle theme for the best Champion. I love everything about this. It has many different parts that flow in and out of each other but it never sounds wrong or out of place.
Black Tower: I love this. Wonderfully unique theme for a Pokémon game and for an awesome location. I never got tired of it while beating 1000 trainers here, and I almost want to go back and battle 1000 more trainers just so I can listen to it again.

X/Y
My second favorite generation and I think it had some really good music too.
Favorites:
Professor Sycamore’s theme: A really great character theme, love the instruments and the melody here.
Laverre City: It is simple but contains an aura of mystery hidden within, which feels perfect for this city.
Successor Korrina’s theme: A really good battle theme, basically just a variation of the Gym Leader theme but a much better version if you ask me. I definitely prefer it over the Gym Leader theme, too bad you only get to hear it once during the games.
Route 15/16 & Frost Cavern: Melancholic while it also inspires a sense of exploration, I think it goes very well along with the autumn-feeling the routes give.
Pokémon League: This sounds pretty epic, suitable for the last location in the game, right before the final battles.

OR/AS
I really like these remakes and I actually prefer the soundtrack over the one in the originals.
Favorites:
Wally’s theme: Intense and epic, suitable for a character who goes from zero to hero, though I wish we had seen more of him during the main game.
Zinnia’s theme: Another great character theme. Listening to this really gets me pumped up, I love the melody in it. That said, I prefer the Smash Ultimate version over the one in OR/AS.
Like with FR/LG, I think OR/AS did a great job with remaking the music from the originals so I like all the tracks I liked from R/S/E as well.

S/M/US/UM
My third favorite generation, and I think it had some good music too.
Favorites:
Mahalo Trail: Calm and soothing with a hint of a hidden mystery somewhere within it, I love it.
Ten Carat Hill: Similar to the above, this one is just so relaxing to listen to at first, then it gets a bit more energetic after a while, I love it.
Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma battle theme: Another great legendary battle theme. This starts a bit soft and quiet, then it escalates into an energy-filled theme with many unique sounds.
Mantine Surfing: Fun music for a fun minigame, it gives a lot of energy which you need in order to surf between the islands.
Ultra Necrozma battle: I dislike Ultra Necrozma as a boss, but I love it as a Pokémon. Either way, this is yet another awesome legendary battle theme, suitable for one of the hardest boss battles in the series.

S/S
The latest games in the series and I honestly had tons of funs with Sword despite its issues. It also had some great music for sure.
Favorites:
Slumbering Weald: This one starts out happy and carefree, then suddenly it gets dark and mysterious when the “howling” kicks in. Perfectly suitable for a mysterious foggy forest which holds the cover legendary wolf.
Marine battle theme: Awesome battle theme for an awesome rival. It sounds unique and I think it is suitable for Marnie in so many ways.
Wild Area theme 2: This one is amazing, it really captures the adventurous feeling of exploring a new vast area which is something I think the wild area partly lives up to, so that’s cool.
Eternatus Battle (Phase 3): Another epic legendary battle theme, perfect for what I think is one of the coolest legendary battles in the series so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)