Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronzong @ Occa Berry
Nature: Brave
Ability: Heavy Metal
IV: 31, 31, 31, x, 31, 0
- Trick Room
- Heavy Slam
- Protect
- Earthquake

I've been hypothetically messing around with the idea of Heavy Metal Bronzong. No one uses the poor fellow, and he's been given a decent move this generation in the form of Heavy Slam. With his DW ability, Bronzong can make good use of this move while maintaining a weight of 812.6lbs.

You could also mess with this in doubles if you wanted to try and give Emboar Heavy Metal through Skill Swap. Emboar could then use Heat Crash, but he doesn't maintain a higher weight over as many pokes as Bronzong would.

Thoughts?​

I'm not seeing too many Pokemon that get hit significantly harder by Heavy Slam than Iron Head. Things like Celebi, Mew, Umbreon, and Blissey could be 2HKO'd by Heavy Slam after SR damage, but they can stall out your Trick Room with Recover or Wish+Protect. Other things like Latios are 2HKO'd by either attack. The notable things it does is let you OHKO Zoroark, Cradilly, Meinshao, Gengar and offensive Espeon after SR and 2HKO max HP Latias. It does let you hit Flygon, Gliscor, and Landorus harder than Iron Head, but keep in mind that they wouldn't be able to do much back if you went with Levitate.

Overall, I don't see how Heavy Slam+Heavy Metal is better than Iron Head+Levitate.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Feel like Lucario could do with +1 in its Speed stat, as well as a Swords Dance boost? May as well take a look at the following Mew and tell me what you think:

Mew @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 224 HP / 176 Atk / 108 Spd or 196 HP / 136 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch / Stealth Rock
- Flame Charge
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Stealth Rock is only on this Mew set because I needed to set it up, but I'd recommend Fire/Fighting as coverage when centering this strategy around your team.

Should Tyranitar/Scizor show their face, send them packing before you opt to pass your two turns' worth of set up to another Pokemon of your choice. If you pass to Terrakion, consider it game over unless their Scizor has been saved for the latter stages of the match.

EVs tend to operate well depending on which spread you choose, but really only your Speed mark is where it counts; whether you look to outspeed the likes of Lucario, Mamoswine and Heatran is up to you.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I've seen and used drain punch mew before so I can only say good things. I'd rather flamethrower over flame charge if you're passing to a pokemon other than terrakion or anyone around the base 110 speed range, since you'll probably meet a sad end at the hands of a choice scarfer and flame charge won't stop skarmory from phazing you out anyway.

Rampardos @ life orb
Ability: Mold breaker
Evs: 4 hp, 252 atk, 252 sp. atk
Nature: Brave
0 spd Ivs
-Head Smash
-Ice beam
-Fire Blast
-hammer arm

I remember something like this being posted in the rampardos thread ages ago, and I remember it kicking ass on trick room teams left and right. Ice beam ohkos gliscor all the time and all variants of multiscale dragonite (after rocks...) save for max hp/max special defense with multiscale up. Fire blast ohkos ferrothorn, tangrowth and forretress, while doing the same to skarmory.

Stone edge? What the hell is a stone edge? Real battlers don't throw little inaccurate rocks at their opponent. They put down all weapons and use thier equally inaccurate skull in an attack that embodies sheer manliness. Calcs are meaningless here. Know this. If the enemy pokemon doesn't resist head smash, it is dead.

Head smash vs. 4/0 sword's dance toxicroak: 96.7% - 113.7%
Head Smash vs. 244/12 Toxicroak: 79.1% - 93.2%

Whoops. For frail pokemon such as toxicroak and infernape, if the enemy pokemon does resist head smash, then it will probably die anyway. Lucario is 2hko'd. Bulky waters such as tentacruel and politoed are ruined. Slowbro? I guess taking 71-84% qualifies as tanking...

Base 58 speed is too fast. You must become even slower. While earthquake is nice for the rare bronzong, hammer arm helps you "outspeed" slower pokemon in trick room. If your team isn't that trick room dependant, then earthquake is fine. Besides that, hammer arm gets points for ramp managing to use those arms for anything at all.

While Hammer Arm sure is awesome physiologically (considering Rampardos' anatomy) I tend to Earthquake more than Hammer Arm for Jirachi is much higher in the usage list. Jirachi may be 2HKOed by Head Smash anyway but most of the time I want to have a clean shot on it. Besides it is more of an non-recoil alternative of Head Smash than Stone Edge - as you have said: men use their heads; Earthquake covers the frail mooks without shorten Rampardos' life too much.
First we look at those who are underspeeded in TR at -1: For OU, Forretress, TR-Gastrodon, and probably TR-Bronzong. Fair deal with Forretress (hammer, then blast it), but the other ones don't make much an impact. Bronzong is rare (you only tie with it anyway), and for Gastrodon it isn't much of an effort to survive two Head Smashes thanks to its typing and the Leftover recovery.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Feel like Lucario could do with +1 in its Speed stat, as well as a Swords Dance boost? May as well take a look at the following Mew and tell me what you think:

Mew @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 224 HP / 176 Atk / 108 Spd or 196 HP / 136 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch / Stealth Rock
- Flame Charge
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Stealth Rock is only on this Mew set because I needed to set it up, but I'd recommend Fire/Fighting as coverage when centering this strategy around your team.

Should Tyranitar/Scizor show their face, send them packing before you opt to pass your two turns' worth of set up to another Pokemon of your choice. If you pass to Terrakion, consider it game over unless their Scizor has been saved for the latter stages of the match.

EVs tend to operate well depending on which spread you choose, but really only your Speed mark is where it counts; whether you look to outspeed the likes of Lucario, Mamoswine and Heatran is up to you.
This set seems fucking awesome!
Most of the times, when the opponent sees Mew, they will send in Heatran, Lati@s or Hydreigon to scout what they think that most probably is a Stall Breaking Mew. After they see you using SD, they will quickly switch out in fear of getting killed either by Sucker Punch or Drain Punch. In this turn you can either immediately pass the boosts, or use SD again. If the opponent doesn't have Skarmory or Support Gyarados they are in a lot of pain, because many common checks/counters are wrecked by Flame Charge like Scizor and Jirachi. Also if the opponents makes the mistake and sends in Scizor as you use SD, and stays in trying to kill with U-Turn out, it is almost gg as Taylor said because many sweepers are unstopabble with +2, +1 boosts!

Just do me a favour... Quickly delete your post so that noone sees it. I don't want the surprise spoiled when i slay Scizors on PO. :D

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!

Tyranitar @ Leftovers Sandstream
252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def Careful
Toxic
Protect
Stealth Rock
Dragon Tail

Not that creative, but I can't find anything like it searching on smogon and google. Ever get tired of politoed switching in for free on your ttar? Well with toxic any weather inducer switching in is going to get a nasty surprise. The amount of times this has won me the weather war is unreal as no-one expects any nasty status from ttar. Protect for stalling and leftovers, stealth rock is stealth rock, and dragon tail stops you being setup and taunt bait ( unless they sub). Walls quite a few special attackers, some even with super effective attacks for a few turns.
So does anyone have an opinion on this, or do they know if anyone has tried to put this through QC or anything? Just interested as I am considering doing so and don't want to waste anyone's time.

So does anyone have an opinion on this, or do they know if anyone has tried to put this through QC or anything? Just interested as I am considering doing so and don't want to waste anyone's time.
Its bad because Substitute users set up on you like you said. But more importantly you let Skam, Ferro, And Forteress spike all over you for free. You need taunt or a fire move somewhere, Other then that good set. Rest Talk Politoad beats that but no one uses him.

Boondocker has a point. You should use Fire Blast over Protect as it hits Steels that are immune to Toxic and resist Dragon Tail. I'm also not really sure if that set is better than the standard tank set, as Tyranitar won't have a lot of chances to use Dragon Tail without some for of recovery.

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
Fire blast is a great idea, thanks for your input. I agree that d tail can be hard to use it for more than a couple of turns. The way this is going perhaps someone should just suggest to c&c to put a slash for toxic or ac mention on the standard sp defensive set for catching opposing weather inducers. Toxic is better against other weather inducers switching in than standard sp def ttar's fairly weak non super effective moves ( apart from superpower on abomasnow)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Ditto (yes Ditto)@Choice Scarf
Nature: Doesn't matter, its Ditto.
Ability: Impostor
-Transform
Evs: 252Hp / 252Spe

With its dream world ability, Ditto can come in after a death of an opponent, instantly turn in to the opponent's pokemon, Copying any stat changes + Choice Scarf boost, means that you outspeed the enemy 100% of the time on the first turn. As most Pokemon are checks to themselves, you can land a supereffective, or neutral attack. (ie: STAB on Lucario, STAB on Dragon & Ghost types.) While not particularly creative, as ditto has 1 move, it has gone from a gimmick to a potent revenge killer

Well known DW set.

This is for new, creative sets.

Has Impostor Ditto actually been released or is that just another mistake on the poster's part.

May as well post a set I've been messing around with while I'm here. It's more retro than anything, but it catches a hell of a lot of people off-guard.

Salamence@Choice Specs
Naive
252SpAtt/252Spe/6Att
Drago Meteor
Fire Blast
Hydro Pump
Outrage/Dragon Pulse

That's right, old school Choice Specs Salamence. Between falling out of fashion last gen and the introduction of Latios and Hydregion to OU, literally nobody sees it coming, which is the primary advantage it has over the two. I've lost count of the amount of physically defensive pokes who have come in expecting to either wall Mence or tank a +1 outrage only to be smacked around the face with a substantially more powerful special attack. Granted the aforementioned dragons hit harder, but Blissey's all over them straight away- Salamence gets a nice window of opportunity.
Draco Meteor opens up the set, trashing anything that doesn't resist it. Fire Blast and Hydro Pump provide plenty of coverage, and are all the more potent this gen with permaweather being over OU like a rash. Outrage provides some physical presence when the facade is broken through, while Dragon Pulse provides consistent STAB hits.

Certainly not the top option if you're looking for outright power from your dragon types, although Mence's Hydro Pump is more powerful that a Latios' Surf. However if you're looking to draw out physically defensive threats to pave the way for other sweeps, this thing is definitely worth trying.

That is a VERY interesting set. I never thought to use Hydro Pump and I've never actually faced one of these before, but it would interesting to meet in battle. I like it.

Now, I had one of these back in the day, and you don't see them very often, but one of my fav Pokemon ever, Ludicolo.

Ludicolo @ Heat Rock
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD

~ Swords Dance
~ Seed Bomb
~ Sunny Day
~ Fire Punch

No one EVER saw this coming. It seems kind of funny to have Swift Swim on a Pokemon that uses Sunny Day, but it's better than the alternative, and neither ability really helps. Anyway, it's great to see people's reaction when I used this. a set up, surprise them with Sunny Day and then crush their Steel and Grass Pokemon. Ice too.

Yeah that Ludicolo loses to most Fire-types which are already assisted by Sunny Day so if your opponent is packing one, your Ludicolo might be counterproductive.

On the other hand I LOVE alphatron's Rampardos and I'll be sure to use that when my Trick Room rolls around

Skarmory@Bug Gem
252HP/252Atk/4Speed
Adamant
X-Scissors
Stealth Rocks
Swords Dance
Brave Bird

I think this is a great lead when you see a Espeon in Team Preview, they switch in on you only to take an X-Scissor to the face. Nothing like something unexpected to really get offensive momentum rolling.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
With a Bug Gem, X-scizz hits 240 power. Now, BB would hit 270 so you're right, and further that set is useless save for Espeon.

you should really talk to that one guy who tried putting SD Skarm through QC, it didn't go well...

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
This is one of my many old unfinished OU analysis I had written up but never submitted. This one's due to Deoxys-S being banned and hyper offense falling out of favor because of it, making this set less useful than it would be otherwise. If everyone thinks it's still useful, I'll throw it up to QC and see it if sticks.

[SET]
name: Imposter Ditto Imposter
move 1: Transform
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / U-Turn
move 3: Roost / Taunt
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Synchronize
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
ivs: 30 Spe

Why this deserves to be on-site

• Mew's amazing bulk allows it to freely switch into any sweeper as it sets up then take a hit before it Transforms
  • Transform lets it take down the metagame's top sweepers. e.g.: Dragonite, Terrakion, Haxorus, Salamence, and anything that likes a speed-boost
  • Choice Scarf ensures that it will out-pace anything that it Transforms into no matter how fast
  • It's not dead-weight if there's nothing of value to Transform into

Set Comments

• All of the above ^
  • Being slower than +1 Dragonite means that Mew's great Defenses will take the hit from Outrage before it Transform as opposed to taking the Outrage as a Dragon-type
  • Being faster than, +2 Attack Lucario or Landorus allows Mew to Transform before it uses Crunch or Earthquake & takes a resisted hit due to Lucario's x4 Dark resistance and Landorus' immunity to Ground
  • The IVs give Mew Hidden Power Ice because Mew keeps it's Hidden Power when Transformed into a Pokemon that knows the move like Landorus. Hidden Power Ice is the most common Hidden Power so it will tend to be the choice of many Transform targets as well.
  • To ensure that Mew's not dead weight against teams without sweepers, Tricking the Choice Scarf away leaves you with a Stall Breaker Mew minus the Taunt or Roost depending on your preference
  • Transform them lets you mimic anything your opponent tries to do, be it SR, Spikes, Rapid Spinning, or Healing, including Natural Cure & Regenerator
  • Trick also cripples Sweeper if Mew doesn't have enough HP to safely Transform again
  • U-Turn lets Mew scout in the same way a Scarf Rotom-W would
  • Just like with every Mew set, it's not for every team

Teammates & Counters

• Substitute shuts Mew down entirely and if it's against a +1 Dragonite or something, that could spell disaster for Mew's entire team.
  • Priority Taunt is also a major headache for Mew, especially if it lacks U-Turn.
  • Having a Plan B for Pokemon like Dragonite or Terrakion that may carry a Substitute is absolutely essential

It's an unfinished analysis but you get the picture. It's an amazing troll but it works. It's also the closest thing you're going get to Imposter Ditto until Game Freak finally caves in & releases it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is one of my many old unfinished OU analysis I had written up but never submitted. This one's due to Deoxys-S being banned and hyper offense falling out of favor because of it, making this set less useful than it would be otherwise. If everyone thinks it's still useful, I'll throw it up to QC and see it if sticks.

[SET]
name: Imposter Ditto Imposter
move 1: Transform
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / U-Turn
move 3: Roost / Taunt
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Synchronize
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
ivs: 30 Spe

Why this deserves to be on-site

• Mew's amazing bulk allows it to freely switch into any sweeper as it sets up then take a hit before it Transforms
  • Transform lets it take down the metagame's top sweepers. e.g.: Dragonite, Terrakion, Haxorus, Salamence, and anything that likes a speed-boost
  • Choice Scarf ensures that it will out-pace anything that it Transforms into no matter how fast
  • It's not dead-weight if there's nothing of value to Transform into

Set Comments

• All of the above ^
  • Being slower than +1 Dragonite means that Mew's great Defenses will take the hit from Outrage before it Transform as opposed to taking the Outrage as a Dragon-type
  • Being faster than, +2 Attack Lucario or Landorus allows Mew to Transform before it uses Crunch or Earthquake & takes a resisted hit due to Lucario's x4 Dark resistance and Landorus' immunity to Ground
  • The IVs give Mew Hidden Power Ice because Mew keeps it's Hidden Power when Transformed into a Pokemon that knows the move like Landorus. Hidden Power Ice is the most common Hidden Power so it will tend to be the choice of many Transform targets as well.
  • To ensure that Mew's not dead weight against teams without sweepers, Tricking the Choice Scarf away leaves you with a Stall Breaker Mew minus the Taunt or Roost depending on your preference
  • Transform them lets you mimic anything your opponent tries to do, be it SR, Spikes, Rapid Spinning, or Healing, including Natural Cure & Regenerator
  • Trick also cripples Sweeper if Mew doesn't have enough HP to safely Transform again
  • U-Turn lets Mew scout in the same way a Scarf Rotom-W would
  • Just like with every Mew set, it's not for every team

Teammates & Counters

• Substitute shuts Mew down entirely and if it's against a +1 Dragonite or something, that could spell disaster for Mew's entire team.
  • Priority Taunt is also a major headache for Mew, especially if it lacks U-Turn.
  • Having a Plan B for Pokemon like Dragonite or Terrakion that may carry a Substitute is absolutely essential

It's an unfinished analysis but you get the picture. It's an amazing troll but it works. It's also the closest thing you're going get to Imposter Ditto until Game Freak finally caves in & releases it.
Man are you high or something? 'Cause i would have to be stoned to the bone to think of such an amazing and ingenious set.
You sir never cease to amaze me!!!

tehy

Banned deucer.
The thing about that set is, well, a few things. Firstly, can you take a plus one outrage and extremespeed? Secondly, since when does landorus sweep? Pretty great for lucario, but then trickscarf/specs gengar can do that too.

Alright, I got something for you lot.

Stall Smashing Dragonite:

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb / Leftovers Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 60 Atk / 252 SAtk / 196 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def) / Naughty Nature (+Atk, -Sdef)

- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

So, you look at this and two things are going to come to mind: How is this creative as opposed to the normal Mixnite set on site? And also why would you use this instead of the nearly identical Mixed Salamence set?

Well to the first one, this is specialized to take on Stall in its entirety, not to just to lure in and eliminate a few. It also has speed EVs instead of relying on Extremespeed (which doesn't have enough power for defensive Pokemon). The EVs given allow it to outspeed standard Gliscor, which is the fastest defensive threat you're likely to encounter that can actually hurt you back. Because the Speed EVs allow you to forgo Extremespeed, Dragonite can afford to carry Outrage, which allows you to go gung-ho all over the enemy team as soon as their steels are elminated (and you will eliminate them with this set). This set has a move for almost any switch in, with only the rare Porygon-2 avoiding a 2HKO. It has just enough attack to 2HKO Chansey with Life Orb, though if using Leftovers you may wish to invest more in attack to secure the same KO. Asside from those two, nothing is taking this combination of moves, unlike the Mixed set listed on the site which has many more Pokemon that can take it due to reduced speed and coverage.

Now, what sets this set appart from Salamence? The big thing is the element of surprise. People EXPECT Salamence to go mixed somehow, and so play accordingly. On the other hand, no one expects Dragonite to go mixed outside of the rain anymore, allowing it to lure in and KO Steels and other physical walls with ease. This makes it a great partner for Pokemon like Terrakion, which love having their counters and checks removed. It also has more bulk than Salamence, particularly if you opt for leftovers over Life Orb, allowing you to come back in and do it again later if need be, or to use Dragonite as an offensive pivot if the need arises. This Dragonite therefore generally functions better on more balanced teams than Salamence does, as they appreciate the bulk for switching more and have fewer options to remove specific walls, which Dragonite does a better job of doing thanks to its ability to lure (steel types in particular will never switch into Salamence. Not so for Dragonite). Another benefit is that even if you start with a Special attack, people will still assume you're not mixed and instead assume you're specially based, causing them to switch in a Special wall for you to KO. Because of this you'll frequently find Dragonite actually retains its surprise factor for more than one turn, allowing it to KO multiple walls before the opponent figures out what's going on.

As for more in depth look at the details of the set, Earthquake is chosen over Brick Break for the extra power and ability to hit Heatran and Specially Defensive Jirachi much harder, while still 2HKOing all standard Tyranitar variants. Blissey and Chansey are a non-factor in this decision since STAB outrage is better against them anyway. The Speed EVs, as mentioned, are to outspeed Gliscor, who would otherwise 2HKO with Ice Fang. Sp. Attack recieves maximum investment to power up Draco Meteor, but the nature is for Attack since its more efficient for the nature to boost the higher stat and attack EVs are limited thanks to the speed investment. Fire Blast wrecks 90% of the steels that switch in expecting a DD set and Earthquake smashes the other 10%, as well as giving a sometimes better option in rain. The choice between Life Orb and Leftovers depends on how much survivability you need in Dragonite; Leftovers increases his survivability by leaps and bounds thanks to Multiscale, but Life Orb secures the 2HKO on Chansey and makes cleaning up mid-game easier. If you do opt for Leftovers, you may wish to shift the attacking EVs around so they can deal with whatever defensive threats are more important for it to eliminate (for instance, if you have terrakion not being to KO Chansey isn't as important as being to KO Gliscor).

That's an interesting Dragonite because of how uninteresting it is at face value..
It does look effective and I'm quick to admit that I'd probably be caught off-guard by it. However.. it's disappointing that no Dragonite-specific move could fit onto the set because as you said, MixMence has many advantages. It may end up as one of those rare sets which ends up really messing you up one in ten battles (and actually, I've already encountered a Dnite like this once on GBU).

Ive just played someone called "Pink Pony" who had a really cool Volcarona. (ive never seen this set, so i say its creative :P)

I'm guessing EV's as i didnt create it.

Volcarona @ ??
Ev's
252 Sp Atk
252 Spe
4 HP

Quiver Dance,
Morning Sun,
Fiery Dance,
Bug Buzz.

As i said, i havent ever seen this set before, and i was leading quite convincingly before he put this out. He QD'd away, then Morning sunned as he was low on health. It was in the sun btw, so Morning sun did even better for him. He got to +6 easily and swept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)