The Dark Horse Project IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, gonna call this round early for me (peaked at only 1730 Glicko2 :c ) because I'm getting like -20 for every loss and +3 for every win, and quite frankly, the last 3 games have been hax-plagued and I'm not enjoying playing this stall-ish team anymore.

However, Shaymin is a god damn beast. Seed Flare demolishes pretty much everything, Earth Power brings down whatever Seed Flare doesn't and with HP Fire and Leech Seed there's usually one switch-in to you - Dragonite, and he doesn't enjoy taking Leech Seeds.

Jellicent is an amazing pokémon, he pretty much shuts stall on it's own (except for the rare Sableye), spinblocks and is great against rain. Shits on Ferro too.

Hippo is bulky as hell, we all know that. But his SpDef set is one of, if not THE best weather starter.

Here are the sets I used, in case someone wants to give them a try:

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Spd / 216 Def
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

I used them in a semi-stallish team with a RestTalk Shed Shell Heatran, Forretress, and the last poke alternated between AcroGliscor and SD Landorus for wallbreaking - and I have to say it was better than what I had originally expected.

Much blood has been shed in the past day... ninelol lost his Rotom-H to scampy, and ganj4lf has been dropped out of HoF ;-; (don't give up!), because of Lady Alex.

However, I'd really like to applaud Molk, a double-platinum HoFer! That is probably the greatest accomplishment second to becoming a Grandmaster >:D
noooo Rotom-h!

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Played 31 games, went 25-6. 5 losses to Venemoth sleep powder miss. 42nd on the ladder with 79 deviation and 2039 ACRE. Basically Venemoth is a perfect passer to balloon Heatran or Keldeo, and my team was solid enough that I could win games even without a pass. Even when Venemoth couldn't pass quiver dance, it could still sleep something which is valuable all by itself. The team:

Venomoth @ Leftovers
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind

Mew @ Normal Gem
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Atk / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Zen Headbutt

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

Zebraiken is NU cuz manectric?
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Loligant
Hall of Fame Standing: I forget
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Lilligant
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1728 ± 83

Loligant (Lilligant) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 Def / 252 SAtk / 184 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power (Fire/Rock/Ground)

Played 31 games, went 25-6. 5 losses to Venemoth sleep powder miss. 42nd on the ladder with 79 deviation and 2039 ACRE. Basically Venemoth is a perfect passer to balloon Heatran or Keldeo, and my team was solid enough that I could win games even without a pass. Even when Venemoth couldn't pass quiver dance, it could still sleep something which is valuable all by itself. The team:

Venomoth @ Leftovers
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind

Mew @ Normal Gem
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Atk / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Zen Headbutt

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
Hah, I remember facing this. Very solid team, and venomoth`s ability to either pass out sleep stuff really put me in a tough position

Pokemon Showdown! Username: pogeymanz mastar
Hall of Fame Standing: nope.avi
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Charizard
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1000

Heh, why not?

The pokemon I used:

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Trick

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Whistle Baby
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:Gothitelle
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 2052

This challenge is very easy!

I'll start with another alt usin something standard and as a dark horse celebi.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Pokemon Showdown! Username: locopoke
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Mr. Mime and Mawile
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1000

User: darkhorsedboy
Format ACRE GXE Glicko2 W L T
ou 1761 84 1943 ± 129 (provisional) 8 0 0

I'll inish tomorrow the challenge with celebi.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
dark nikuman, i would prefer it if you registered BEFORE laddering. you also cannot change dark horses without changing alts as well (ie if your current alt is on gothitelle, you cannot switch to celebi). finally, you cannot stop at that peak with gothitelle, because ginga's peak with gothitelle is higher than yours and therefore his hall of fame position holds. if you want to hall of fame with gothitelle you need to beat his peak. same with celebi, who has been claimed by molk already.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Giving up on Dusclops. Also, I don't know if I will have time to attempt this or not, however...

Pokemon Showdown! Username: EvilGrin13 (can I reserve more than 1 nick? in case of hax streaks or similar events I'll switch to 14 and 15 :D)
Hall of Fame Standing: --
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Poliwrath, Roserade, Sableye
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: --

Gonna try my hand at Hyper Offense

Pokemon Showdown! Username:ClubbingSpheal
Hall of Fame Standing: previous bronze
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: PTERODACTYL FUCK YEAH
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: EDIT: Left at 1970 with like 90 deviation, will continue later

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I updated my OP and I now have the highest Glicko2 out of everyone who entered this challenge... unforunately I'm not in the top 3 on the ladder :( So, I'll have settle with platinum for now. I've now stolen Stoutland from Molk. And thank you very much to Birkal, ginganinja, alkinesthetase and Pocket for your amazing work on this equally amazing projec :)

alkinesthetase

oh snap, nice laddering doom, you did indeed take stoutland from molk! blood is being shed in the hall of fame today, ladies and gentlemen!

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Got to at least Bronze with the mighty shiftry for now(going for at least silver later).

Set used:

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 164 Spd / 108 Atk / 236 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Nature Power
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]

EVS explanation: 108 attack is to guarante OHKOing Latios with Sucker Punch in case I can't get SR up. 164 speed allows Shiftry to outspeed Scarf Keldeo/Terrakion and allow it to Leaf Storm before he takes a hit. The leftovers sp.A were for sp.A to pump up its special attacks and allow me to use his physical moves easier later in the game.

Moves: Nature Power is Obvious is the main reason I'm using it over Venusaur; it gives me a pseudo earthquake that is quite easy to fit for any Shiftry set, this is important because it eliminates Heatran without even trying. Leaf Storm is because Giga Drain didn't kill its main targets( Keldeo and Terrakion), and because it allowed to hide the fact that Shiftry was actually mixed. Sucker Punch is a cool move to have to pick weak opponents from ruining the fun for this guy. The Hidden power was mostly filler, but I picked Ice because I already had plenty of stuff to hit Genesect and bulky steel-types . It also helps me in preventing Landorus-I from trying to set up a Rock Polish and sweep me if I used a physical move earlier in the game.

I also wanted to use Growth when I first wanted to try this guy, but without using Memento with Dugtrio, this was pretty hard to do.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
2 Platinum promotions by DarkBlazeR and The Great Mighty Doom, each time topping the previous Platinum challengers. You guys are impressive. Doom, don't f'n give up - Grandmaster is right before your eyes x_x

I'm gonna try this out, but I don't expect to succeed greatly with it.

Pokémon Showdown Username: slowbrotest
Dark Horse Pokemon: Slowbro, Amoonguss, Rotom-H, Snorlax and Bronzong (only the last two will work for HoF)
Hall of Fame Standing:
Current Ladder Standing:

I wish Garchomp was freed so that Bronzong and Slowbro had more work to do, but I guess I'll have to wait for that

EDIT: I'm close to giving up, since Scarf Politoed's HP Grass went from doing 27% to my Slowbro to 94% with a crit, I don't know if it's the simulator or what, but when that makes me lose a battle it's a little beyond pure hax (which I can live with to some point). I had made an awesome comeback in that match and ended up losing after that, since I lost my Slowbro and therefore my remaining Mamoswine counter (I'd already sacked Bronzong to get a free switch in). I'm gonna keep trying because that strategy is amazing at changing games, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to succeed with it in this metagame (not because of the strategy in itself, but because of me)

alkinesthetase

all of them are legal dark horses, so don't worry - if you ladder enough, you can potentially take them ALL to the hall of fame. however some of those horses are up in platinum so it's up to you how far you wanna take it =P

also myzo, might wanna add the screenshot cause we might miss it the next time we go for a hof cleanup; i think pocket missed you this time around

Well, Zangoose is fun, but got tilted too hard around 1650, so i decided i'd try a few more games with Machamp til i moved on (tired of being lowest on the board xD) Got to 80th with 1886, so yay.

Giving up on poor Zangoose for now, going with everyone's favorite number 0 Pokemon!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: VCreate-A-Pokemon
Hall of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Victini
Current Ladder Standing: Nope
Still need my rank upped from this. Also, i think the ladder may have been reset. 1793 is enough to be top 100 and as such my current alt at 1854 is at 59th. Should we wait til top 100 is fixed before reporting more games or what? Seems unfair given how crazy the ladder usually is. Ironically, my other alt is just a few under at 1833 lol.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Master of the Six Kings, I didn't update your rank, because then you would be ineligible for HoF :0 (your glicko2 is below 1950)

Ladder reset shouldn't matter, since you not only need the ladder ranking, but also the glicko2 threshold to enter HoF!

Oh, lol missed that.

But still, i have 1957 glicko and only at 1854 im at 59. Seems too easy mode.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 204 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk / 48 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Scald

Mismagius @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Initially, i set out to ladder Swampert, as he is an old favorite from Gen 4 OU, providing that perfect SR/Roar/Dual Stab set that is still viable but no where near as effective. When thinking of partners, i wanted a strong Ghost type with some specially defensive prowess to balance Swampert's physical oreination and deal with the more common offensive spinners in Starmie and Tentacruel. Gengar has as much bulk as Kiera Knightly and Jellicent made my mini-core super weak to Grass, and then I thought of Mismagus. Her high Quiver Dance stats and access to Thunderbolt let her counter the spinners i wanted, while Energy Ball and Levitate also covered Donphan. I wanted HP Fire to cover Forretress as well, but found Fighting was more helpful for better neautral coverage/T-tar etc, and even just firing off Shadow Balls and T-bolts could beat most Forretress.
I had general expectations for how the too would work, and included threats like Scarf Mence, Banded Scizor and Sub Terrakion to cover some major threats, and Starmie to spin and provide more Special attacking options but let me tell ya. Mismagius far outpreformed my expectations multiple times, filling my Spin blocking role perfectly, but taking out threats like Lucario, Latios, Tyranitar, Politoed and the like more often than i would have ever expected and completely shut down Deoxys-D and Espeons i faced. Swampert generally preformed how i imagined, but as i rounded towards peaking on the ladder, i was met with Energy Ball Latios, Grass Knot Infernape and Giga Drain, Expert Belt Genesect that really hampered the poor mudfish. Still, most games he preformed his basic tasks as well as i could've asked for. If Mismagius ever gets access to a decent special Fire or Fighting move, OU better watch its back.

I guess since glicko determines where you are and the number is arbitrary it doesnt really matter. I really enjoyed the laddering with Swampy and Mismagius. Wrote up my thoughts and sets and stuff. Gonna take some time to try and ladder a bit higher with both my Mons before i pick another later tonight. Going for the record on DH's achieved in a month (even if i lose some of them, i'm still counting xD). Although, there's Molk, so i'll prolly have to deal with second.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After some more laddering I have peaked #1 on the ladder!!! I have updated my OP with the screenshot. I may make a new alt later on and attempt to complete this challenge with a team of 4+ DH mons, but for now I'm finished with this challenge (I'll still take part in the discussion though.) Thanks again to Birkal, Pocket, alkinesthetase and ginganinja for the time they put in to running this project.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Gojira
Hall of Fame Standing: Grandmaster Platinum
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Deoxys-D
Current Ladder Standing: 1000

;0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)