All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
can something like 3atks zapdos work in gsc?

ive tried a set with thunder, hp water, drill peck and rest, and it works decently well

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't really like it. Considering that the only things you're hitting significantly harder are Steelix (who can't usually do much in return anyway) and Blissey (who is uncommon nowadays and only 4HKOed anyway), and the fact that you're still hardwalled by Raikou, it doesn't really offer you much in exchange for the loss of Sleep Talk. Aside from the matchups I already listed, the biggest upsides I see with it are: getting surprise KOs on Eggy when your opponent expects you to only have Thunder and HP Water; and not needing to hit two consecutive Thunders in many situations where you're up against a weakened Snorlax.

I don't know if this is the appropriate place in the forums for this or not, but I'll give it a shot.

I recently picked up a copy of Crystal to supplement my other Gen2 games. This came in the mail last week, and I've played it for a few hours. In the few times that I have turned the game off and on again, the internal clock isn't keeping time at all and needs to be reset at each start-up. The rest of the save data seems fine, but the clock is not cooperating with me.

I've also attempted the pokemon/item duplication glitch several times without a single success, when I typically have no issue with executing the glitch on my copy of Silver.

Does this sound like the save battery starting to wear-out, or something more sinister?

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think the Orange Islands subforum would be more appropriate to post this, but whatever, now that you are here i can also answer your questions.

The internal clock not working properly is the sign that your internal battery is about to die. You can basically still play your game perfectly fine but it will stay at the same shown time. here is a quick tutorial on how to change your battery, this is what i followed with my cartridges and it works just fine now. There are tons of tutorials on how to do this you can find with a quick google search.

About the cloning thing i am not sure, iirc it works differently on crystal than it does on gold/silver. Bulbapedia tells me that the box cloning glitch works "in generation II" which would mean it should work in Crystal the same way, but i did some research and there are several forum posters saying they can't clone in crystal either. I don't have my Crystal copy with me now but if i remember it i can try it out sometimes. I am just going to assume you mean the duplication glitch with the box changing method, and not the ones via link cable or Storage system move.

I think the Orange Islands subforum would be more appropriate to post this, but whatever, now that you are here i can also answer your questions.

The internal clock not working properly is the sign that your internal battery is about to die. You can basically still play your game perfectly fine but it will stay at the same shown time. here is a quick tutorial on how to change your battery, this is what i followed with my cartridges and it works just fine now. There are tons of tutorials on how to do this you can find with a quick google search.

About the cloning thing i am not sure, iirc it works differently on crystal than it does on gold/silver. Bulbapedia tells me that the box cloning glitch works "in generation II" which would mean it should work in Crystal the same way, but i did some research and there are several forum posters saying they can't clone in crystal either. I don't have my Crystal copy with me now but if i remember it i can try it out sometimes. I am just going to assume you mean the duplication glitch with the box changing method, and not the ones via link cable or Storage system move.

Thanks for the help. I've changed batteries before (on my copy of Silver), so I'm not too worried about that. I just didn't want to get involved in the whole thing if there was a bigger issue underlying everything.

idk where to post this so I'm posting it here since it's sorta old gens related

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/generation-iv-rmt-archive-index.76508/

There are some strange EV's on certain teams here, and especially on Ashley's Ubers team from June 2009. Nothing huge, but it deserves to be fixed.

EDIT: ty user Arhops telling me the link was broken at first
Okay, that should be fixed within a few hours/days. If there are any other oddities than just Ashley's Ubers team, please note so, so we can look at it.

First off im not sure if i can ask this here? (I dont come to smogon forums that very often, so dont blame if im in the wrong thread for this) Ok my question is about 3rd gen, emerald RNG. Im trying to hit this frame for a Latios Method 1: Target Frame is 10070, and somehow im getting frames like .82 secs earlier than this even though i sync the game with my stopwatch (Stop watch on my phone) and hitting it a few Milli secs from my target time, and somehow im not even close. So im sure if its my stopwatch or the game but maybe u guys can help me out. That or i have to hit A before the Red/Blue option comes up, but the RNG guide says otherwise.

First off im not sure if i can ask this here? (I dont come to smogon forums that very often, so dont blame if im in the wrong thread for this) Ok my question is about 3rd gen, emerald RNG. Im trying to hit this frame for a Latios Method 1: Target Frame is 10070, and somehow im getting frames like .82 secs earlier than this even though i sync the game with my stopwatch (Stop watch on my phone) and hitting it a few Milli secs from my target time, and somehow im not even close. So im sure if its my stopwatch or the game but maybe u guys can help me out. That or i have to hit A before the Red/Blue option comes up, but the RNG guide says otherwise.
The best place to ask in the future would be here. I'll go ahead and tag Hozu and NixHex since they're both familiar with 3rd gen RNG and most likely wouldn't check this thread. Best of luck, man ^.^

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
The video frames are displayed at a rate of just under 60 per second, and very slightly slower for a DS compared to a GBA. Also, certain things advance the RNG frame on top of the video frame advancement - you get an additional 3 frames advanced simply for going to the next room (3 frames consumed when drawing the environment), and randomly moving NPCs affect the RNG (not applicable in this instance).

For this reason, I'd use a timer program such as EonTimer (for Windows) or PikaTimer (anything w/ Java) as they have a function to update the timer based on the frame you hit compared to your target frame. If that's not possible, make small adjustments to your stopwatch to compensate for the frame difference you're getting.

Is it recommended to run Tbolt or Thunder on Raikou? The only reason why I'm questioning it is I lost a game the other day because I found it hard to deal w/ Suicune and Skarm after my Nidoking died (I'm still not sure why I let that happen), but it would be nice to be able to deal consistent damage instead of missing all the time. On the other hand, I was able to defeat an EQ'less Lax w/ just my Raikou due to Thunder's 30% para, and that has definitely helped.
Advice?

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Tbolt is defensive. Thunder is offensive. I'd recommend Thunder in most cases, KOing Lax with it is pretty nice, and it actually allows you to force Zapdos and Miltank to switch out instead of having them stay in, tank your Thunderbolts, and go for paralysis. If you're really afraid of Charizard and Tentacruel, though, Tbolt allows you to check them much more reliably. There's also the issue of Vap, but as Thunder can OHKO from 64% and Tbolt can sometimes fail to 2HKO, I'd say Tbolt doesn't help all that much in that matchup.

For the record, you want Thunder vs. Suicune so you can OHKO it at higher percents, thereby averting Mirror Coat risks. Also if you guess wrong, a miss can ironically save you.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I got asked to report a bug for ps which was that if your kill an opposing mon in gen 1 with wrap/clamp/fire spin that you can't change the move and have to keep wrapping. Is that supposed to be that way? i couldn't find anything about that.

I got asked to report a bug for ps which was that if your kill an opposing mon in gen 1 with wrap/clamp/fire spin that you can't change the move and have to keep wrapping. Is that supposed to be that way? i couldn't find anything about that.
Pretty sure you can indeed change move if Wrap KOs.

Heya guys. So I'm trying to catch a good Zygarde. Was shooting for perfect HP, Atk, and Spe IVs, with at least ~25s in Def and SpD, with plans to dump EVs 252Atk/252Spe/8HP in prep for its Thousand Arrows/Waves buff.

After a fair bit of resetting I got a Zygarde with perfect IVs in Def and SpD, but 24 HP.

Essentially, if no EVs are going into HP, Def, or SpD, does it matter if i have Perfect HP and ~25 Def/SpD versus ~25 HP and perfect Def/SpD?

Thanks! sorry if that was confusing >.<

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
Wi
Heya guys. So I'm trying to catch a good Zygarde. Was shooting for perfect HP, Atk, and Spe IVs, with at least ~25s in Def and SpD, with plans to dump EVs 252Atk/252Spe/8HP in prep for its Thousand Arrows/Waves buff.

After a fair bit of resetting I got a Zygarde with perfect IVs in Def and SpD, but 24 HP.

Essentially, if no EVs are going into HP, Def, or SpD, does it matter if i have Perfect HP and ~25 Def/SpD versus ~25 HP and perfect Def/SpD?

Thanks! sorry if that was confusing >.<
The XY OU, Wi-Fi, and Orange Islands Simple Questions threads are better places to ask this sort of thing. RoA is for Gen 1-5 discussion.

My bad. I mean it's less about the specific pokemon and more IV tradeoffs, but I understand. I'll ask those threads. Thanks

Hi.
What would you guys say is the best tactic/team be for a Belly Drum Charizard in GSC?
I am thinking of something like this:
Forretress (Spikes and Explosion)
Starmie (Tbolt for Waters, Rapid Spin)
Meganium (Dual Screens)
Curselax is obvious.
Jolteon (Agility and BP)
And then the Zard himself.

I really want to try out Sunny Day though - and I can see the need for a phazer, and also - this is for Cartridge, so I don't think I can breed for good Hidden Powers.
I don't really want to use the standard Cune/Skarmbliss/Raikou/Zapdos, but if that's needed I'll do it. Also, would Venasaur work better over Meganium?

If you're not going to use Forretress to spin, iirc Cloyster can do that as well, Cloyster has 95 atk compared to Forretress' 90, and it, so it does more damage. Cloyster also has decent other moves before it explodes. I'd been toying with the idea of using 3 exploders (Gengar, Exeggutor and Cloyster) a pursuiter (CurseTar), a screener (Meganium) and some horrible last mon setup (be it Curselax, BellyZard, CuseChamp, SD Wak, stuff like that), or you could go for a LK/Self Destruct/Fire Blast/Earthquake Snorlax set replacing an exploder. All of this would result in the fastest win/loss in GSC history (outside of BSS)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)