B&W Research Thread

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Concerning mons with old moves not being eligible for random wifi, could it simply be that they didn't fit some requirement? These are foreign language games and they might have been telling you X poke does not apply for Y reason. Could it have nothing to do with illegal moves? Just a thought.

Tentative Trapping moves that deal damage (Fire Spin, Sand Tomb, etc.) now last 4-5 turns
Tested this ten times by giving Charizard Fire Spin

times it lasted 4 turns: 7
times it lasted 5 turns: 3

I've never seen it last any less or more then 4 or 5 turns respectivly. So i suppose that confirms those results

Here a list of the "other" moves that are available to pokemon with Mischievous Heart.

Growth, Leech Seed, Cotton Spore, Tailwind, Stun Spore, Poisonpowder, Charm, Helping Hand, Cotton Guard, Sunny Day, Toxic, Taunt, Protect, Safeguard, Double Team, Rest, Attract, Flash, Swagger, Substitute, Encore, Tickle, Fake Tears, Grasswhistle, Memento, Switcheroo, Worry Seed, Light Screen, Trick Room, Agility, Tailwind, Rain Dance, Bulk Up, Embargo, Heal Block, Nasty Plot, Charge, Thunder Wave

Haze, Mean Look, Torment, Postpone, Calm Mind, Psych Up, Whirlwind, Mirror Move, Confuse Ray, Featherdance, Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Screech, Roost, Leer, Foresight, Detect, Claw Sharpen, Telekinesis, Will-o-wisp, Recover, Moonlight, Flatter, Trick, Captivate, Tail Glow, Baton Pass, Sweet Scent, Wish, Endure, Copycat, Roar, Swords Dance, Cheer Up, Mind Reader, Iron Defense, Follow Me, Growl, Assist, Sand-attack, Snatch, Yawn, Covet
Thanks for this list Ditto. I'm going to test every single one of these with The_Chaser right now. I'm posting this because this will be a lot of work, and I don't want other people starting at the same time or a bit later than us and then one of us basically wasting our time. So if you're reading this...

DON'T TEST MISCHIEVOUS HEART STUFF YET!!! THE_CHASER AND I ARE ON IT!!!

Edit: The_Chaser and I are almost done. Only 12 more moves to test. He had to go though, so we'll finish the Mischievous Heart testing when he gets back tonight! We have some good info to report :)

Confirmed Rugged Helmet: Each contact hit against a Pokemon holding a Rugged Helmet deals 1\6 of the attacker's total HP to the attacker, stacks with Iron Barbs. The damage is dealt directly to the attacker and not a Substitute it might have.

This brings up an interesting question. If I'm not mistaken, this means that each hit of a multi-hit move like Arm Thrust results in damage to the user. What happens if the user runs out of HP before the move is finished?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So, Life Gamble: how does it work?

From all the descriptions I've read, I'm guessing it lowers the user's HP to 1 and deals damage to the target equal to the amount of HP lost. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Also, does it work on Ghost-types?

EDIT: Also, can somebody confirm that Shell Break only raises Attack, SpAtk, and Speed by 1 level each, not by 2 levels?

The thread on Ditto and its new DW ability, Eccentric, is filled with thoughts of how cool it would be, but no actual information about how Eccentric works.

If anyone can get a hold of a DW Ditto, can you test the following:
  1. When does the ability activate? Is it as soon as it switches in (like Trace), at the end of the turn, after the opponent's move, etc.?
  2. Does the ability work exactly like Transform (assuming Transform itself has not changed this Gen)?
  3. When it copies an opponent's ability, does the ability automatically activate (e.g. switching into Gyarados and activating Intimidate)?
  4. Does it copy stats exactly and retain its own stat levels at +0? Say you switch into a Max Spd Jolly Salamence that is already at +1. That gives you a Spd stat of 493. However, does this mean that you are at 493 Spd and +0 on your Spd modifier, or are you also at +1? If you yourself are at +0, then it's a scary proposition starting off with that speed and having access to DD yourself.
  5. Similarly, say your own Ditto holds a Choice Scarf and switches into a Choice Scarf Jirachi at 463 Spd. Does it copy the 463 Spd first and THEN apply your own Choice Scarf ON TOP OF that?

So, Life Gamble: how does it work?

From all the descriptions I've read, I'm guessing it lowers the user's HP to 1 and deals damage to the target equal to the amount of HP lost. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Also, does it work on Ghost-types?

EDIT: Also, can somebody confirm that Shell Break only raises Attack, SpAtk, and Speed by 1 level each, not by 2 levels?
Tested Life Gamble: the Pokémon who uses it is KO'd and deals damage equal to the HP it lost to use the move. Also tested to see if Focus Sash help with anything, but no, like Explosion, it still KOs you.

And it doesn't work on Ghost-types.

About Shell Break, I've been using it on Wi-Fi so I can report about that too to confirm that it's a sharp boost (two levels) to Attack, Sp Atk and Speed. Both Defenses are decreased by only one level, though.

We're getting so many conflicting reports about what you can and can't bring on random Wi-Fi. Perhaps the built-in hack-checker is smart enough to know which generation a Pokemon came from and to not allow 3rd and 4th-gen-only moves on a 5th-gen Pokemon.

It would be nice if, in future, people reporting what they can and can't use on random Wi-Fi could specify how they got the moves on their Pokemon and where the Pokemon originally came from.
Am I just crazy or do I remember reading that random Wi-Fi battles had the option of implementing Fresh Mode? Is it possible people are accidentally activating this rule?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tested Life Gamble: the Pokémon who uses it is KO'd and deals damage equal to the HP it lost to use the move. Also tested to see if Focus Sash help with anything, but no, like Explosion, it still KOs you.

And it doesn't work on Ghost-types.

About Shell Break, I've been using it on Wi-Fi so I can report about that too to confirm that it's a sharp boost (two levels) to Attack, Sp Atk and Speed. Both Defenses are decreased by only one level, though.
Hmm, guess I called those wrong. Thanks for the testing!

How about Fire Burst? The description says it hurts nearby Pokémon. Does it hurt the user? In a double/triple battle, does it hurt the target's allies? Does it hurt every Pokémon adjacent to the target, friend and foe? How much does it hurt these Pokémon by (approximates are fine for now).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The thread on Ditto and its new DW ability, Eccentric, is filled with thoughts of how cool it would be, but no actual information about how Eccentric works.

If anyone can get a hold of a DW Ditto, can you test the following:
  1. When does the ability activate? Is it as soon as it switches in (like Trace), at the end of the turn, after the opponent's move, etc.?
  2. Does the ability work exactly like Transform (assuming Transform itself has not changed this Gen)?
  3. When it copies an opponent's ability, does the ability automatically activate (e.g. switching into Gyarados and activating Intimidate)?
  4. Does it copy stats exactly and retain its own stat levels at +0? Say you switch into a Max Spd Jolly Salamence that is already at +1. That gives you a Spd stat of 493. However, does this mean that you are at 493 Spd and +0 on your Spd modifier, or are you also at +1? If you yourself are at +0, then it's a scary proposition starting off with that speed and having access to DD yourself.
  5. Similarly, say your own Ditto holds a Choice Scarf and switches into a Choice Scarf Jirachi at 463 Spd. Does it copy the 463 Spd first and THEN apply your own Choice Scarf ON TOP OF that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFaPcx2betA

This video will answer all of your questions.

But to shorten things, yes all of those are true.
It copies stat changes, and works just like transform.

Hmm, guess I called those wrong. Thanks for the testing!

How about Fire Burst? The description says it hurts nearby Pokémon. Does it hurt the user? In a double/triple battle, does it hurt the target's allies? Does it hurt every Pokémon adjacent to the target, friend and foe? How much does it hurt these Pokémon by (approximates are fine for now).
It does not hurt the user or your teammates. I tested it in doubles, and do little damage to the pokemon next to the target. I suppose in triple battle if you attack to the middle one it damages the pokemon in both left and right sides too.
The damage that receive the pokemon in the sides of your target do like 1/16 damage, that damage is not affected by weakness or resistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFaPcx2betA

This video will answer all of your questions.

But to shorten things, yes all of those are true.
It copies stat changes, and works just like transform.
Wonderful link, thanks!

The only question left unanswered is #4 (the video has no sound and is in Japanese, so I might have missed something). The video description mentions that it "does copy stat boosts", but doesn't clarify whether it copies the stat resulting from the boost or the +1 boost itself. That is, if I switch in on a Salamence that's already at +1, will I be able to:
  • boost 5 more times, as I am also now at +1?
  • or boost 6 more times but starting with Salamence's current stat as the base?

This is a bit of an unorthodox question to test right now, but if you use Wonder Room and then have a pokemon use power trick, will that effectively swap attack with special defense since Wonder Room swaps defenses and Power Trick swaps attack and defense?

Has anyone tested whether Whirwind benefits from Mischievous Heart and to what extent (+1 Priority or -5 priority)?
The Murkrow line gets it and it would be pretty notable to be able to phaze with priority.

Electra Ball: What is its maximum power and power formula?
Tested this in a double battle against 2 cpu's, calculated it by using a similar method Peterko used for Heavy Bomber.

All pokemon are lvl 100, have 216 Special Defence and have the ability Battle Armor.

Agirudaa with 400 Speed and 256 Special Attack using Electra ball on the fellowing(tested each 5-10 times but i only listed the highest and lowest damage as the rest seems irrelevant to me):

400/7= 57.14
400/6= 66.67
400/5= 80
400/4= 100
400/3= 133.333...
400/2= 200

Munchlax 56Spe: 131-151 damage
Munchlax 65spe: 134-141 damage
Munchlax 78Spe: 132-151 damage
Munchlax 99Spe: 132-149 damage
Munchlax 101Spe:104-121 damage - cutoff
Forretress 132Spe:104-120 damage
Forretress 134Spe:72-81 damage- cutoff
Metagross 199Spe:69-81 damage
Metagross 201Spe:51-59 damage- cutoff
Aguridaa 400Spe:54-61 damage

This is my tentative formula for Electra ball. The jump from 120 base power to 80 base power seems strange though.
If there is anything else i need to test for confirmation or if i made a calculation mistake somewhere please tell me
I'll test if there is a lower base power then 60 tomorrow.
I'm testing this with T-wave tomorrow as well

A) 150 base power, if target´s speed is lower or equal to 1/4 (25%) of user´s speed
B) 120 base power, if target´s speed is greater than 1/4 (25%) of user´s speed and lower or equal to 1/3 (33%) of user´s speed
C) 80 base power, if target´s speed is greater than 1/3 (33%) of user´s speed and lower or equal to 1/2 (50%) of user´s speed
D) 60 base power, if target´s speed is greater than 1/2 (50%) of user´s speed

TMN, Shell Break is a +2 Boost to both offenses and speed absolutely for certain. Friends and I were messing around with pokesav and teams, and I got 1 shell break and ran through niched's entire team. Outsped everything, and he had that pure flying thing, which I'm pretty sure had max speed neutral nature, which my max speed neutral nature Cloyster outsped and dropped.

I have the battle saved, but I have no way of recording it.

Has anyone tested whether Whirwind benefits from Mischievous Heart and to what extent (+1 Priority or -5 priority)?
The Murkrow line gets it and it would be pretty notable to be able to phaze with priority.
Yes, Mischievous Heart makes Whirlwind -5 Priority, instead of -6. The_Chaser and I tested this today. We will make a massive Mischievous Heart research post later today when he gets back (we're almost done testing every possible Mischievous Heart move!)

Somebody else probably already tested this already, but i have tested out Reshirams abillity to see if it de activates Sturdy, and it does.

The Wishuser (Jirachi) had 298 HP by the time Wish was used, max is 404.
Blissey (recipient) had 155 HP, took no damage on the switch in and Wish brought her up to 357.
This was just to clarify: Wish restores 50 % of the users maximum HP. The other mechanics of Wish have not changed.

"Confirmed Wide Guard protects all of your Pokemon (including the user) from attacks that can target multiple Pokemon." but..

What would happen if a Pokemon, say Smeargle uses Perish Song and the opposing team has a Kojondo or something use Wide Guard. Does it nullify Perish song completely, does it do nothing like Protect, or only affect your side?

Could someone test this?

TMN, Shell Break is a +2 Boost to both offenses and speed absolutely for certain. Friends and I were messing around with pokesav and teams, and I got 1 shell break and ran through niched's entire team. Outsped everything, and he had that pure flying thing, which I'm pretty sure had max speed neutral nature, which my max speed neutral nature Cloyster outsped and dropped.

I have the battle saved, but I have no way of recording it.
Cloyster should be able to outspeed that Genie when it's only at +1 considering ScarfTar can outspeed Azelf and it has lower Base Speed. I think someone else already confirmed it's +2, but you could see if Cloyster can outspeed something like Scarf Heatran while at +2. With max speed on each and the same nature, Cloyster will always beat Heatran at +2 but never at +1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)