B&W Research Thread

A reason why your pokemon could be that they have gen iv tutor moves or egg moves (not sure about that one), which are banned on random wifi, or that pokesav bw is a horrible program for save file editing in this day and age. You will have more success with something like PokeGen, where someone has been able to get on random wifi when they edited their pokemon's ev's and iv's.

I was wondering, since Arceus holding a Plate and Giratina-O are immune to Trick, what happens to them in Magic Room? Does it cancel their items and make them go back to regular form? Does it cancel them and keep them in the same form? Do they ignore Magic Room altogether?

I hadn't thought of that, if this is the case the wi-fi community could become a very paranoid place to be =[

I want to test if trading one over, also screws you over though, just to be sure. But I'd need help from someone that can back-up saves that hasn't used Pokésav on their save yet.

EDIT: @joehigashi
Something that just crossed my mind, don't you need to register at that website to do random wi-fi battles? Are you sure you have done this(if this is required), or alternatively have you been able to access random wi-fi before using pokésav?
I haven't been able to do this myself, so I can't do alot of testing on this matter.
I am registered to that site but I don't believe it is a requirement. And yeah I did a random battle before just to test it and it went through fine, then I edited my save file and it hasn't worked since.

By the way guys, when you're testing what pokemon are allowed on random wifi, make sure your team itself isn't violating any rules, like item clause or having an uber. You might think you're getting blocked for pokesaved pokemon or 4th gen tutor moves when really it's because you have two Leftovers on your team.

A note on that though, if it is a rule break, or a uber, she won't even let you down the tunnel thing. If it is due to SAV/hacks you will go down, then be rejected.

Seconding Sixonesix. I don't think it's related to Tutor Moves or any of that- it's probably that people are forgetting about the Item Clause. Like I said, my friend can get in just fine with Pokésav'd Pokémon, as long as the Item Clause is being respected.

Nice work. #1 is good to know, but you should test if a faster Mischievous Whirlwind user moves before a slower Counter user and if a slower Mischievous Whirlwind user moves before a faster Counter user before you nail it down to exactly one priority level in all cases. Also, can a fast Mischievous Trick Room user go before a slow non-Mischievous Whirlwind user, etc. Once we test this, I'll move it from tentative to confirmed.
The_Chaser and I just finished testing these.

1. Fast Weavile Counter vs. Medium Speed Murkrow Whirlwind
Result: Fast Weavile Counter went before Whirlwind

2. Slow Wobbuffet Counter vs. Medium Speed Murkrow Whirlwind
Result: Medium Speed Murkrow Whirlwind went before Counter

3. Fast Erufuun Trick Room vs. Slow Skarmory Whirlwind
Result: Trick Room went before Whirlwind

Considering each move's priority (Trick Room = -7, Whirlwind = -6, Counter = -5), I think this makes it fairly conclusive that Mischievous Heart adds exactly +1 priority to all non-attacking moves.

We also tested Mirror Move more:
Whoa, hold on there. I think we're a long way from drawing conclusions about how Mirror Move works. In 4th gen, it was probably the most complicated move in the game, and its implementation has changed yet again in gen 5.

When you say that it fails against a regular-priority move, what move was that, Roost? Mirror Move doesn't replicate Roost because Roost doesn't target the Mirror Move user. And if it was an actual attack, did the Mirror Move user still fail to replicate the move on the following turn?
Since the first time we did this, we had to use U-turn, Mirror Move failed. It only worked when a faster priority attack hit the Mischievous Heart Mirror Move Pokemon. To test it further, we did the following test:

1. Murkrow Mirror Move vs. Machop Strength
Result:
Turn 1
Murkrow used Mirror Move! But it failed!
Machop used Strength! Murkrow takes the hit!

Turn 2
Murkrow used Mirror Move! Murkrow used Strength! Machop takes the hit!

Turn 3
Philip7086 switched Machop out! Philip7086 sent out Skarmory!

Drawing from these results, and the results we got from testing Mirror Move against Extremespeed (Mirror Move succeeded on turn 1, after being hit by Extremespeed first), I think we are close to a few conclusions. It seems Mirror Move needs a few criteria to be met for it to function (in singles battles):

1. The Mirror Move Pokemon must have taken a hit directly before using Mirror Move
2. The Mirror Move Pokemon must be targeting the same Pokemon who targeted it for Mirror Move to work

Next, The_Chaser and I tested Healing Heart, as requested in the OP:
Healing Heart: What are its chances of activating every turn? Does it act like Heal Bell, healing all members of the team, or does it heal only one at a time?
Okay, so I used a Rotom with the moveset, Will-o-wisp, Thunderwave, Toxic, and Shadow Ball, and spent the first part of this test statusing multiple members of The_Chaser's party, including Tabunne, the Healing Heart Pokemon. Then, for 30 turns, I kept using Shadow Ball and other moves against Tabunne to see how often it would heal its teammates of status attacks. Out of these 30 turns, Tabunne did not heal a single member of it's party of status even ONCE. We then tried to see if Tabunne heals status moves while not active in the battle. We tested this for around 15 turns while Tabunne was not actively in the battle, and again, not a single Pokemon was healed of its status.

From this test, either we can conclude that The_Chaser and I are the unluckiest people on the planet, or that Healing Heart has an incredibly low activation rate, or that Healing Heart is more of an in-game mechanic, where if you're running around with a Healing Heart Pokemon, your other Pokemon's statusses might be healed. We will try testing this again later today when I get some more time.

Maybe it can only activate when the Healing Heart Pokemon/statused Pokemon switches in/out. That would explain why it never activated, snce it wouldn't happen all the time and you only switched a few times.

I was under the impression that Healing Heart was only active during doubles and triples, keeping the Healing Heart Pokemon's teammates status-free. At least that's how it was showcased with Mamanbou pre-release. That would also explain why you've yet to get any results from it.

I was under the impression that Healing Heart was only active during doubles and triples, keeping the Healing Heart Pokemon's teammates status-free. At least that's how it was showcased with Mamanbou pre-release. That would also explain why you've yet to get any results from it.
This would make sense. I'll test this in a bit, thanks for the suggestion!

Seconding Sixonesix. I don't think it's related to Tutor Moves or any of that- it's probably that people are forgetting about the Item Clause. Like I said, my friend can get in just fine with Pokésav'd Pokémon, as long as the Item Clause is being respected.
Well he's literally the only person I've heard of that has been able to do that. Did he sign up to the site?

Well he's literally the only person I've heard of that has been able to do that. Did he sign up to the site?
Nope, he didn't.

Regardless, the only thing he changed with Pokésav were the Pokémon moves, natures, IVs, EVs and levels. He didn't alter the Pokémon species themselves, their abilities or their locations. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Nope, he didn't.

Regardless, the only thing he changed with Pokésav were the Pokémon moves, natures, IVs, EVs and levels. He didn't alter the Pokémon species themselves, their abilities or their locations. Maybe it has something to do with that?
Perhaps. Though I don't see why that would work, then other people who have SAV'd only EVs, or even just a few items haven't been able to go on random battles.

I confirm this, my chansey restored my Metagross it's Paralyze in a double battle(which was annoying as i needed the paralyze to calculate Electra Ball mechanics)

Perhaps. Though I don't see why that would work, then other people who have SAV'd only EVs, or even just a few items haven't been able to go on random battles.
With each new game release Nintendo has been adding more and more hex values and trash bytes. It is possible that their hack check software is looking for these values and they aren't there. The person who is getting them to work is catching the poke in the wild and then modifying it instead of creating it from scratch so it would have the proper info it. I don't believe that anyone has figured out all of this information yet with regards to pokemon editors.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think this makes it fairly conclusive that Mischievous Heart adds exactly +1 priority to all non-attacking moves.
Great work, you two! Thanks for going the extra mile to make absolutely sure we got this right. If you're in the mood, you might want to check if Quick Claw and Custap Berry now actually boost move priority as well.

Drawing from these results, and the results we got from testing Mirror Move against Extremespeed (Mirror Move succeeded on turn 1, after being hit by Extremespeed first), I think we are close to a few conclusions. It seems Mirror Move needs a few criteria to be met for it to function (in singles battles):

1. The Mirror Move Pokemon must have taken a hit directly before using Mirror Move
2. The Mirror Move Pokemon must be targeting the same Pokemon who targeted it for Mirror Move to work
I understand how you would draw those conclusions, but they are most likely erroneous.

Do your test with the Machop again, only this time use a move that doesn't hit the Mirror Move user (like Focus Energy) after using a move that does (like Strength). It should go something like this:

Turn 1

Turn 2
Machop used Focus Energy! It's getting pumped!

Turn 3
Machop does something I don't care about because the test is over.

This is what would have happened in 4th gen and if it still happens, then your first conclusion is invalid.

Your second conclusion is technically correct, but misleading. The reason Mirror Move didn't work when you brought in your Skarmory is that there were no longer any Pokemon still on the field that had hit the Mirror Move user during their current stint in play.

I really appreciate you guys testing Mirror Move, but it's a real zebra of a move and it's not that high a priority, at least for me. Feel free to test other stuff and leave that one to me once my copy of Pokemon White finally gets here. If you really want to keep testing it, then read my description of how it worked in 4th gen and be aware that the the one difference that we're aware of in 5th gen is that you now choose a target when using it.

Next, The_Chaser and I tested Healing Heart, as requested in the OP:
As others have mentioned, Healing Heart heals your allies on the field in a double or triple battle. I recommend you test both. Can it heal both allies at once?

With each new game release Nintendo has been adding more and more hex values and trash bytes. It is possible that their hack check software is looking for these values and they aren't there. The person who is getting them to work is catching the poke in the wild and then modifying it instead of creating it from scratch so it would have the proper info it. I don't believe that anyone has figured out all of this information yet with regards to pokemon editors.

As I said before, any editing at all, for example 999 masterballs stops people from having random battles. In my experience anyway.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Slip Through

Philip7086 and I tested the Slip Through question in the OP.

OmegaDonut said:
Slip Through: Does it bypass any of the following: Protect\Detect, Substitute, Safeguard, stat boosts, Fast Guard, Wide Guard, any other "protection" moves I haven't thought of?
Here were our results:

Slip Through successfully bypassed:
  • Safeguard
  • Light Screen
  • Reflect

Slip Through failed to bypass:
  • Protect
  • Detect
  • Substitute
  • Fast Guard
  • Stat boosts
  • Dig
  • Fly
  • Dive

We also tried to test against Wide Guard in a Doubles battle, but it seems Wide Guard did not work in general. When we attacked with a non-Slip Through Pokemon, it still hit the target (who should have been protected by Wide Guard), and so obviously, the same target was also hit with the Slip Through Pokemon.

Tentative Poison Rampage\Heat Rampage raise Attack\SpAttk 1.5x, respectively, when the Pokemon is poisoned\burned. (Slipperjeans)
Confirmed this by using a Zangoose with ability Poison Rampage holding Toxic Orb and a Drifblim with ability Heat Rampage holding Flame Orb against a Snorlax and a Agirudaa respectivly.

Zangoose(no status): 157-162 damage
Zangoose(Poison): 217-248

Drifblim(no status): 126-132 damage
Drifblim(Burn): 174-189 damage

As I said before, any editing at all, for example 999 masterballs stops people from having random battles. In my experience anyway.
Pokesav is also notorious for leaving trash bytes in places around the save file. Someone has already posted that they have taken Savd pokes onto WiFi Random battles. It seems that you just have to learn how to emulate the caught/bred Pokémon. This doesn't sound much different from PBR or the GTS. They wouldn't allow battles on PBR with Pokémon that didn't meet the hack check and the GTS wouldn't let battle videos be uploaded if any of the Pokémon in the video failed to bypass the hack check.

It will take a while for all of these little changes to be found and verified. If their hack checks are now looking at things like hex values, you will either have to learn to manually input those values into Pokesav or use a program like PokeGen which does it for you, at least with 4th gen it did.

Tentative Multi-Scale reduced damage from attacks by 0.5x if at full health. (Slipperjeans)
Confirmed this by using both Zangoose(Body Slam) and Drifblim(Shadow Ball) against a Dragonite with Multi-Scale. None of the pokemon carried items.

Zangoose against full health Dragonite: 56-59 damage
Zangoose against Dragonite that lost hp: 117-124 damage

Drifblim against full health Dragonite: 43-45 damage
Drifblim against Dragonite that lost hp: 81-86 damage

If AR leaving "traces" is the problem, it seems you could easily get around it by having 2 game carts and keeping 1 "clean."

I hadn't thought of that, if this is the case the wi-fi community could become a very paranoid place to be =[

I want to test if trading one over, also screws you over though, just to be sure. But I'd need help from someone that can back-up saves that hasn't used Pokésav on their save yet.

EDIT: @joehigashi
Something that just crossed my mind, don't you need to register at that website to do random wi-fi battles? Are you sure you have done this(if this is required), or alternatively have you been able to access random wi-fi before using pokésav?
I haven't been able to do this myself, so I can't do alot of testing on this matter.
I have saved pokemon and I can go into random Wifi when I want, granted that I use pokemon that I have caught in game any saved pokemon or that I have tampered with gets denied.
and there seems to be a way around it since I have encountered a japanese player with a no guard Kingler spamming guillotine that or he was extrmely lucky.

When a Steel\Poison\Fire's type is changed to something that makes them vulnerable to poison\burn respectively, does the status remain when they switch out (and regain their typing)?
Just tested this with Setsuna. He brought in a Smeargle that had Submerge, Will-o-wisp, Toxic, and Thunderbolt, and I brought in my Emboar and Doryuuzu.

Turn 1
Smeargle used Submerge! Emboar was transformed into a Water type!
Emboar used Cheer Up! Its Attack and Special Attack rose!

Turn 2
Smeargle used Will-o-wisp! Emboar was burned!
Emboar used Cheer Up! Its Attack and Special Attack rose!

Turn 3
Philip7086 withdrew Emboar! Philip7086 sent out Doryuuzu!
Smeargle used Submerge! Doryuuzu was transformed into a Water type!

Turn 4
Smeargle used Toxic! Doryuuzu was badly poisoned!
Doryuuzu used Swords Dance! Its Attack sharply rose!

Turn 5
Philip7086 withdrew Doryuuzu! Philip7086 sent out Emboar!
Smeargle used Thunderbolt! Emboar took normal damage!
Emboar was hurt by burn!

Turn 6
Philip7086 withdrew Emboar! Philip7086 sent out Doryuuzu!
Smeargle used Thunderbolt! But it doesn't seem to effect Doryuuzu...
Doryuuzu was hurt by toxic!

So to summarize, yes, when Fire/Steel-type Pokemon's type is changed to something else and they get burned/poisoned, the status remains even after their type changes back to normal through switching out. I don't think there's any reason to believe this is any different for Poison-types and poison, but if you would like us to test that out to be sure, we can easily do so. Pretty interesting stuff :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)