(Archive) Small Objective Changes Thread

Hidden Power Ice is in the next slot as it lets Shaymin revenge kill a +1 Dragonite, but be wary as you risk a speed tie against positive Speed variations.
It seems that someone changed Salamence to Dragonite after it was moved to Ubers, but forgot to change the rest of the sentence. Everthing from the comma on should be deleted.

This is for Shaymin's Choice Scarf Set.

EDIT: Also on Shaymin, on the bottom of the Growth Set:

Otherwise, you are better off with Timid, as it is desirable to Speed tie with base 100s like Salamence and Jirachi.
I recommend just changing Salamence to Flygon here.

On the Team Options:

The main Pokemon who give Shaymin trouble are Heatran, Salamence, Dragonite, and Blissey. Heatran is generally partnered by Scizor, Celebi, and Salamence. Therefore, a Heatran of your own works well here, as does a Starmie to revenge kill Salamence. Salamence is often seen alongside Scizor, Gyarados, and Heatran. Again, Starmie works well against Gyarados and Heatran, and Heatran does well against Scizor. What is true for Salamence tends to be true for Dragonite as well. Blissey tends to be partnered by powerful physical walls, such as Hippowdon and Skarmory, but Seed Flare and Hidden Power Fire work wonders against them.
1st: Deleted
2nd: Deleted
3rd: Changed to Dragonite, or deleted after comma in that sentence.
4th: Delete the whole sentence.
5th: Delete the whole sentence.

The main Pokemon who give Shaymin trouble are Heatran, Dragonite, and Blissey. Heatran is generally partnered by Scizor and Celebi. Therefore, a Heatran of your own works well here. Dragonite is often seen alongside Scizor, Gyarados, and Heatran. Starmie works well against Dragonite, Gyarados, and Heatran, and Heatran does well against Scizor. Blissey tends to be partnered by powerful physical walls, such as Hippowdon and Skarmory, but Seed Flare and Hidden Power Fire work wonders against them.

These are just what I would do.

EDIT: I'm just obsessed with Shaymin. On the Damage Calculator, there aren't any sets made for Shaymin, yet there is a whole Shaymin page(link above.)

EDIT: Still some stuff left for Shaymin. XD. On the first section of the EVs.

For Choice Specs sets, max out Special Attack and Speed. Modest provides more power, but with Timid you have the option of outrunning the likes of neutral natured Salamence, Zapdos and Staraptor. Timid also guarantees Shaymin will outrun the likes of Porygon-Z, Gliscor, and Lucario.
The hardest part about moving Salamence to Ubers....taking it off all the OU pokes. Celebi, Jirachi, or even Flygon could replace it in this sentence.

On the Counters:
Heatran can come in on anything but Earth Power with ease. Salamence or Dragonite work if Shaymin isn't carrying Hidden Power Ice, although Choice Specs Psychic has a good chance to 2HKO the Dragon-types. Skarmory and Scizor can all handle everything barring Hidden Power Fire, and can screw up the SubSeeder with Whirlwind or U-turn, respectively.
I'd just edit out the bold and make "work" "works" in this situation.

EDIT: Well, at least it's not Shaymin. This time, it's Mesprit.

Hidden Power Ground allows Mesprit to hitSteel-types like Registeel and Magneton, but is an inferior option because it doesn't do much damage to Registeel and Magneton is relatively rare.
There's a missing space between hit and Steel-types. This is on the Special Choice set, first paragraph, last sentence.

Then, same set, third paragraph, first sentence.

Chansey causes problems for this set, being able to switch in on any special-based attacks without taking a lot of damage. .
Extra period and space at the end.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Under the "SubRoost" set

Maximizing Speed can also prove to be a worthwhile investment on this set, as Zapdos can freely set up a Substitute before taking hits from threats such as Jolly Lucario.
The current EV spread which is 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 Spe already has the speed maxed out.

A revision may look like this: With maximum speed, Zapdos can freely set up a Substitute before taking hits from threats such as Jolly Lucario.

Sorry about that mingot. Here are the ones not changed yet.

I'm just obsessed with Shaymin. On the Damage Calculator, there aren't any sets made for Shaymin, yet there is a whole Shaymin page(link above.)

Still some stuff left for Shaymin. XD. On the first section of the EVs.

For Choice Specs sets, max out Special Attack and Speed. Modest provides more power, but with Timid you have the option of outrunning the likes of neutral natured Salamence, Zapdos and Staraptor. Timid also guarantees Shaymin will outrun the likes of Porygon-Z, Gliscor, and Lucario.
The hardest part about moving Salamence to Ubers....taking it off all the OU pokes. Celebi, Jirachi, or even Flygon could replace it in this sentence.

On the Counters:
Heatran can come in on anything but Earth Power with ease. Salamence or Dragonite work if Shaymin isn't carrying Hidden Power Ice, although Choice Specs Psychic has a good chance to 2HKO the Dragon-types. Skarmory and Scizor can all handle everything barring Hidden Power Fire, and can screw up the SubSeeder with Whirlwind or U-turn, respectively.

Well, at least it's not Shaymin. This time, it's Mesprit.

Hidden Power Ground allows Mesprit to hitSteel-types like Registeel and Magneton, but is an inferior option because it doesn't do much damage to Registeel and Magneton is relatively rare.
There's a missing space between hit and Steel-types. This is on the Special Choice set, first paragraph, last sentence.

Chansey causes problems for this set, being able to switch in on any special-based attacks without taking a lot of damage. .

On the Damage Calculator, there aren't any sets made for Shaymin, yet there is a whole Shaymin page(link above.)

Still some stuff left for Shaymin. XD. On the first section of the EVs.

On the Counters:

Well, at least it's not Shaymin. This time, it's Mesprit.

fixed all of these, thanks.

ete edit: other than the damage calc thing, which needs doug to refresh the sets.

ud edit: yeah, there was a mistake in the set formatting :V

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/feraligatr
Just a small typo, on the first set "Dragon Dance", in the 4th sentence "With Low Kick, Toxicroak can OHKO Registeel (after Stealth Rock) before it paralyzes Feraligatr, but Feraligatr loses coverage and power on Toxicroak and some Water-types such as Azumarill, Slowbro, and Slowking." calls Feraligatr Toxicroak, when it should obviously be "Feraligatr can OHKO Registeel"

http://www.smogon.com/gs/moves/substitute

Hey doods, Substitute only blocks Swagger's confusion, it doesn't stop Swagger from boosting Attack. It might be worthwhile for someone to test if the same behavior still exists in RSE and DPP, likewise with Flatter since it's the same deal.
I got a friend to test this for me, and the result is that Substitute does block both the confusion and the boost. Where did you find out that Substitute doesn't ignore the boost?

Hi,

I noticed this when I was seeing how much speed Dragonite needed to outspeed Superachi after a DD...

The Superachi spread has 180 EVs...this means 4 are wasted as 176 EVs gives the SAME speed of 308.

So yeah...4 wasted EVs.

New spread should be 80HP / 252SpA / 176Spe (all the other spreads are fine, not sure why this one has those extra 4)

EDIT:

Also noticed the Cleric Dancer set for Dragonite says:

With that being said, by using an alternative EV spread with just 44 Speed EVs, Dragonite is guaranteed to outpace 176 Speed Jirachi, Jolly Lucario, and most importantly, Salamence.

This is incorrect because with just 40 speed EVs, Dragonite reaches 309 speed after a DD, 1 point ahead of the 308 speed Jirachi. Jolly Lucario is 306, Salamence...well the only set that is relevant is the Classic Mixmence with +speed but thats in the same situation as Jirachi. I also don't know when Salamence is being taking out of Mon's analysis' but yeah....

Hi,

I have spotted a few things that need changing/updating.

Let's start with hippowdon
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/hippowdon

The physical wall set suggests 88 sp.def for a tyranitar Boah's ice beam. Now boah still exist, but a max special attack tyranitar ice beam is still rare, and since platinum a choice band aqua tail has been more threatening. Sp.def is useful however, so I think this needs looking into as it has been there for a long time and has been unnecessary for a long time.

I think 252 hp/180 defence/76 special defence would be much better, it garuntees hippowdon to live a adamant life orb lucario close combat after a sword dance and stealth rocks. While still providing a bit of special bulk.

Next is Gliscor
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gliscor

The offensive sword dance set claims that EQ + Stone edge hits every OU for neutral damage bar brongong and brelloom. This is just a minor nit pick, but flygon also resists the combo.

Now for Metagross
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/metagross
The lead set has 24 ev's in speed and does not explain why. Probably because there is no reason, so I suggest recomending 0 speed ev's for metagross, cus otherwise people will start using max speed metagross in order to outspeed that set and it will affect the metagame.

Smeargle
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/smeargle

The lead set I think needs updating. First of all, taunt is useless tbh, stopping sleep talkers wastes a turn of sleep when you could be spike stacking. Encore can be used to lock an oponent into stealth rocks, saving your spore and getting you a free turn to stack some more spikes. U-turn can also be used to break the focus sash off azelf and aerodactyl, who will always taunt and if you bring in something faster they will die without setting up stealth rocks.

I think a moveset of:
- Spikes/Stealth rock
- Encore/Stealth rock
- U-turn/Stealth rock
- Spore

Setting up Stealth rock and spikes together is not realistic, I don't know why it's the main suggestion. So I think stealth rock should just be a side option in my opinion. The set here is just much more effective mid game and as a lead. Encore is for abusing slower leads like swampert who like to set up stealth rock, as you encore that, and then spike up some more as he is forced to switch. U-turn is for breaking a sash on taunt leads, and spore is the best move in the game.

Next onto lead smeargles ev's. Why lol, 252 speed and a Jolly nature, it achieves nothing. In fact no speed ev's at all and a neutral nature outspeeds the same leads. Nothing sits in that speed zone, apart from dragonite, who may have a lum berry so you should run away anyway.

The top 20 leads:
- Azelf
- Aerodactyl
- Swampert
- Metagross
- Jirachi
- Infernape
- Ninjask
- Roserade
- Hippowdon
- Tyranitar
- Heatran
- Smeargle
- Uxie
- Starmie
- Dragonite
- Abomansow
- Crobat
- Bronzong
- Skarmory

With there standard sets, smeargle is gaining nothing with max speed, except abomasnow, who you can encore as it subs up to block your spore. With almost 0 bulk, smeargle has no use mid game, except death fodder.

So I suggest a spread of
252 hp/100 defence/156 sp.def
Careful nature

The ev's make a metagross bullet punch 3hko and a heatran earthpower 3hko. But a better ev spread could be found, this was just something I quickly thought up. You still have 186 speed, still outspeeding metagross, skarmory etc. while not loosing anything.

Next is Skarmory:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/skarmory

mainly the taunt set. "The selected EV spread allows Skarmory to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar" ... ? why lol, no one uses max speed and adamant. It's either max jolly with dragon dance or a choice scarf. After a dragon dance or a scarf boost its gonna outspeed anyway. That just seems dumb in my opinon. The set really doesn't need speed, and isn't outspeeding anything useful or common with speed ev's, so why bother. Even suicune is running timid alot more now, so outspeeding 209 suicune is getting rare. So I suggest wacking them in sp.def tbh. cus they are 99% wasted in speed.

Well thanks for reading. The few points have bugged me for a while and I never knew threads like this existed. It's just a few nitpicks, but I hope I helped.

Hi,

I have spotted a few things that need changing/updating.

Let's start with hippowdon
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/hippowdon

The physical wall set suggests 88 sp.def for a tyranitar Boah's ice beam. Now boah still exist, but a max special attack tyranitar ice beam is still rare, and since platinum a choice band aqua tail has been more threatening. Sp.def is useful however, so I think this needs looking into as it has been there for a long time and has been unnecessary for a long time.

I think 252 hp/180 defence/76 special defence would be much better, it garuntees hippowdon to live a adamant life orb lucario close combat after a sword dance and stealth rocks. While still providing a bit of special bulk.
Hippowdon is currently undergoing an analysis update located here. The EV spread for the Physical Wall set has been updated.

Next is Gliscor
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gliscor

The offensive sword dance set claims that EQ + Stone edge hits every OU for neutral damage bar brongong and brelloom. This is just a minor nit pick, but flygon also resists the combo.
Good catch. Added in Flygon.

Now for Metagross
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/metagross
The lead set has 24 ev's in speed and does not explain why. Probably because there is no reason, so I suggest recomending 0 speed ev's for metagross, cus otherwise people will start using max speed metagross in order to outspeed that set and it will affect the metagame.
I don't know what the 24 EVs in Speed are for myself, but I did a bit of research and noticed that those Speed EVs allow Metagross to outpace 20 Speed Skarmory, 100 Speed Empoleon (standard lead), and allows Metagross to Speed tie with 96 Speed Tyranitar (standard Choice Band). However, 28 Speed makes sense because you get to outpace the aforementioned Tyranitar, so I'll change the EV spread to reflect that.

Smeargle
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/smeargle

The lead set I think needs updating. First of all, taunt is useless tbh, stopping sleep talkers wastes a turn of sleep when you could be spike stacking. Encore can be used to lock an oponent into stealth rocks, saving your spore and getting you a free turn to stack some more spikes. U-turn can also be used to break the focus sash off azelf and aerodactyl, who will always taunt and if you bring in something faster they will die without setting up stealth rocks.

I think a moveset of:
- Spikes/Stealth rock
- Encore/Stealth rock
- U-turn/Stealth rock
- Spore

Setting up Stealth rock and spikes together is not realistic, I don't know why it's the main suggestion. So I think stealth rock should just be a side option in my opinion. The set here is just much more effective mid game and as a lead. Encore is for abusing slower leads like swampert who like to set up stealth rock, as you encore that, and then spike up some more as he is forced to switch. U-turn is for breaking a sash on taunt leads, and spore is the best move in the game.
That set is actually being updated here. It covers most of your issues.

Next onto lead smeargles ev's. Why lol, 252 speed and a Jolly nature, it achieves nothing. In fact no speed ev's at all and a neutral nature outspeeds the same leads. Nothing sits in that speed zone, apart from dragonite, who may have a lum berry so you should run away anyway.

The top 20 leads:
- Azelf
- Aerodactyl
- Swampert
- Metagross
- Jirachi
- Infernape
- Ninjask
- Roserade
- Hippowdon
- Tyranitar
- Heatran
- Smeargle
- Uxie
- Starmie
- Dragonite
- Abomansow
- Crobat
- Bronzong
- Skarmory

With there standard sets, smeargle is gaining nothing with max speed, except abomasnow, who you can encore as it subs up to block your spore. With almost 0 bulk, smeargle has no use mid game, except death fodder.
Max Speed is basically used for general purposes. Like if you switched Smeargle out of a lead that beats it, you can bring it in late-game and potentially outpace someone with all of that Speed to set up. Investing heavily in bulk is not going to really help Smeargle much because its overall bulk is absolutely pathetic.

So I suggest a spread of
252 hp/100 defence/156 sp.def
Careful nature

The ev's make a metagross bullet punch 3hko and a heatran earthpower 3hko. But a better ev spread could be found, this was just something I quickly thought up. You still have 186 speed, still outspeeding metagross, skarmory etc. while not loosing anything.
That spread loses to those two Pokemon all the time. With Metagross, Earthquake + Bullet Punch kills Smeargle, and Heatran's Fire Blast is an almost OHKO. You're better off using Focus Sash.

Next is Skarmory:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/skarmory

mainly the taunt set. "The selected EV spread allows Skarmory to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar" ... ? why lol, no one uses max speed and adamant. It's either max jolly with dragon dance or a choice scarf. After a dragon dance or a scarf boost its gonna outspeed anyway. That just seems dumb in my opinon. The set really doesn't need speed, and isn't outspeeding anything useful or common with speed ev's, so why bother. Even suicune is running timid alot more now, so outspeeding 209 suicune is getting rare. So I suggest wacking them in sp.def tbh. cus they are 99% wasted in speed.
Skarmory is being updated here. The Speed EVs help it outpace most Choice Band Tyranitar.

Thank you for your comments. Next time, however, use the subjective changes thread when bringing up controversial updates. Most of your edits are controversial.

Thanks,

Btw the smeargle still has a focus sash, but the bulk let's it set up on weaker walls mid game. You could probably drop the speed down to 245 to outspeed the 243 tyranitar and the 244 walls outpacing tyranitar. But I still feel max speed is pointless and I can't think of any OU's that are just bellow smeargle in terms of speed.

Also do people use max speed choice band tyranitar? I thought 96 speed was the most CB t-tar's used.

I'll check out the links, and use the subjective thread next time

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/hariyama

Under the Hariyama Choice Band set, it lists Ice Punch/Thunderpunch, and Stone Edge as its last two moveset options. However, "The last two attacking slots can be juggled with; any combination of the four moves works... Fire Punch will hurt Toxicroak decently as well as the same Bug-types Stone Edge hits." Fire Punch was not mentioned in the moveset selection.

Hi. Under the "Defensive Duck" entry for Porygon2, I noticed that:

With monstrous offensive threats such as Gyarados and Heatran looming in every corner there is almost no single Pokemon who can reliably counter them all at the same time. However, one brave Pokemon still stands strong as being a reliable option to combatting all three of them, and that Pokemon is Porygon2.
Possibly due to Salamence's departure, only two threats are now listed, not three. In the next paragraph:

Porygon2's usefulness doesn't stop there. It can switch into Heatran, Vaporeon, and Jolteon with impunity, thanks to Trace. It is immune to Fire when it switches into Heatran and forces it out, threatening paralysis.
Heatran has already been mentioned in the first paragraph so perhaps mention of it should be confined to only the first.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/porygon2

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/magcargo

"With 172 EVs invested in Defense, its Defense reaches a stat of 352, netting an extra stat point. Max HP bolsters Magcargo's ability to take physical hits even more. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense. Thanks to Flame Body, Magcargo has a 30% chance of inflicting a burn upon contact."

Sorry for looking like kind of a dick with all the posting, but does this seem a little awkward? It might be better to insert the last paragraph after listing the Defensive EV spread.

i.e. "With 172 EVs invested in Defense, its Defense reaches a stat of 352, netting an extra stat point. Additionally, thanks to Flame Body, Magcargo has a 30% chance of inflicting a burn upon contact. Max HP bolsters Magcargo's ability to take physical hits even more. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense."

Again, my apologies :(

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/magcargo

"With 172 EVs invested in Defense, its Defense reaches a stat of 352, netting an extra stat point. Max HP bolsters Magcargo's ability to take physical hits even more. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense. Thanks to Flame Body, Magcargo has a 30% chance of inflicting a burn upon contact."

Sorry for looking like kind of a dick with all the posting, but does this seem a little awkward? It might be better to insert the last paragraph after listing the Defensive EV spread.

i.e. "With 172 EVs invested in Defense, its Defense reaches a stat of 352, netting an extra stat point. Additionally, thanks to Flame Body, Magcargo has a 30% chance of inflicting a burn upon contact. Max HP bolsters Magcargo's ability to take physical hits even more. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense."

Again, my apologies :(
Thanks a lot, and don't worry about posting too much. It's good. :)

I also fixed your post Death.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lucario

Under the Swords Dance set, it states that:

Lucario can't OHKO defensive Dragonite with a +2 ExtremeSpeed even after Stealth Rock damage, and Dragonite can dispose of Lucario with Earthquake or Fire Blast, while Gyarados can OHKO with Earthquake.
I don't think anybody would use Extremespeed against a Dragonite. Close Combat, on the other hand, has a chance to KO. Here are some calcs:

252 Adamant Life Orb Lucario +2 Close Combat vs. 252/0 Careful Leftovers Dragonite : 67.1% - 79.3%
252 Adamant Life Orb Lucario +2 ExtremeSpeed vs. 252/0 Careful Leftovers Dragonite : 60.1% - 70.7%
252/0 Careful is the only "defensive" set in the analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)