(Archive) Small Objective Changes Thread

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Eh, the only reason I see Rock Polish over Agility for is ease in Wifi battles, as Agility requires it to be bred on whereas Rock Polish is a TM. Agility is probably better for Shoddy Battle though.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Agility is the more competitive option because it has more PP. I don't understand why there is even a discussion about this.

Salamence's "Other Options" section mentions Dragon Fang as a possible move, Despite the fact that such a move doesn't exist. I think it should be either Ice Fang or Dragon Rush (because I believe one of those two is meant).

Just wandering, on most analysis for basic sets the EV spread are 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def, or whatever, however on some other ones, the spread is 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def [again just random EV placement], would this require a change, even though it doesn't really mean anything?

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Salamence's "Other Options" section mentions Dragon Fang as a possible move, Despite the fact that such a move doesn't exist. I think it should be either Ice Fang or Dragon Rush (because I believe one of those two is meant).
No, it means the item Dragon Fang, as it talks about Yache and Haban in the sentence afterwards.
Just wandering, on most analysis for basic sets the EV spread are 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def, or whatever, however on some other ones, the spread is 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def [again just random EV placement], would this require a change, even though it doesn't really mean anything?
It should only add up to 508 EVs. Do you have any links of ones where it adds up to 510?

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/blissey

Under wishbliss it says

"The reason Aromatherapy cannot be used is because it is an egg move and Wish is an event move, so they are illegal together."

As of HGSS Heal Bell (which if you don't have a soundproof team mate, is the same thing) can be taught to a wish using Blissey via move tutor.

The Belly Drum Analysis

There is a typo in the third paragraph under Charizard.

The problem many players encounter when using the standard BellyZard is that two attacks is hardly enough to conquer a well-built team without running into a problematic wall that can sponge both attack choices (such as Lanturn if BellyZard chooses both Fire Punch and ThunderPunch). To combat such Pokémon, players opted to drop the comfort of a Substitute for a third attack, and with it, better type coverage. The lack of Substitute leaves Charizard open to status, priority, faster Choice Scarf users, and the off chance that the Salac Berry held by most BellyZard does not activate. These facts force players to adopt a more "suicidal" form of sweeping, thus making Double-Edge a great attack choice. Double-Edge also has the added benefit of lowering Charizard's total HP, possibly forcing it into pinch Berry range (hence the set's name, Recoil BellyZard). A bit more prediction is needed to set up the Recoil BellyZard, though if it is done correctly, very few Pokémon can stop its sweep cold.
sweping -> sweeping.

Hey guys,

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gallade

In the third paragraph under Gallade's "Sword Dance" set:
Another possible moveset Gallade can use is Swords Dance, Hypnosis, Close Combat, and Night Slash. This can potentially allow Gallade to incapacitate the opponent, set up Swords Dance, and attempt to sweep the opposing team with Psycho Cut and Close Combat, two moves that provide near-perfect coverage (resisted only by Toxicroak and Heracross).
I believe "Psycho Cut" should be "Night Slash" (Toxicroak and Heracross take super effective damage from Psycho Cut :P)

In the sixth paragraph under the "Choice" set:
Heatran makes a great partner in this reguard, being able to switch in on anything Scizor has besides Superpower, which Gallade resists.
"reguard" should be "regard".

The Belly Drum Analysis

There is a typo in the third paragraph under Charizard.

sweping -> sweeping.
got it thanks

Machoke's analysis has all of the headings in CAPS... it's pretty funny IMO
fixed this lol

Hey guys,

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gallade

In the third paragraph under Gallade's "Sword Dance" set:
I believe "Psycho Cut" should be "Night Slash" (Toxicroak and Heracross take super effective damage from Psycho Cut :P)

In the sixth paragraph under the "Choice" set:
"reguard" should be "regard".
both corrected thanks

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/bt/battle_pyramid

While battle points can be used to earn nice prizes such as a Choice Band, which you can now easily duplicate with the cloning trick, along with many other items and minerals, there are move tutors that will teach pokemon certain moves that are no longer learnable once they migrate over to Diamond & Pearl through the Pal Park feature. Don't you want to teach Blissey Seismic Toss or Charizard Fire Punch? There are many other moves that can only be available in Emerald through earning battle points.
There is a typo in the Emerald Battle Pyramid Wild Pokemon Guide page, located under header number 3, "Why earn points?" Peark -> Park.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/substitute

Empoleon is mentioned as having the "second strongest surf of any non-Uber Pokemon", but both Gorebyss and Omastar have higher Spatk.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/underrated_movesets

On Kingdra's set it said:

164 EVs boost Kingdra's Speed so that it can outspeed base 115 Pokémon after a single Dragon Dance and outspeed +1 Speed-increasing natured base 100s.
I believe there was supposed to be a "after a second boost" or something along those lines at the end of the sentence. Right now something is missing.

On Roserade's set, the first paragraph ends with "With dual entry hazards, Roserade becomes an orthodox threat.". I may be wrong, but shouldn't it be "unorthodox threat" being an Underrated Movesets article and all? I am not sure if that's what the writer has intended, but here it is anyway.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/nu

Regigigas's set, first paragraph:

"After a Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray, they only have a 75% chance to hit Regigigas."
shouldn't it be 37.5% (75% (Paralysis) x 50% (Confusion))?

This should be all for now.

The Smog issue 10 (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/tcg):

The main reasoning for this is that you are going to have Rare Candy, which lets you evolve direct from Basic to Stage 1, so there's no need to waste time and deck space on Stage 1 cards, unless the Stage 1 has some good PokéPower or Attack you want to use. In this case, then only three Stage 1's are necessary, since again, you'δ rather be playing and donking with your Stage 2.
Also:

For example, you had a Psychic-typed Typlosion, a Metal-typed Raichu, a Fire/Metal-typed Kingdra, and so on (they still retain weaknesses, however, so Psychic Typhlosion would still be weak to Water).
It's spelled "Typhlosion".

And:

In general, EX-on is probably the most simple metagame in the Pokémon TCG.
Should be "simplest".

The other article (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/tcg2):

The latter is the fastest and most powerful attacking in the format.
Should be "attacker".

Its main use is proBably taking out Eevee in one hit.
Capitalization.

It is more safe and conservative than Professor Oak from the Base Set (discard your hand, then draw 7 cards), since Elm puts the leftover cards in your deck instead of the discard, and stops you from playing Trainers for the rest of your current turn.
"safer"

What makes Crobat even more annoying is its lack of retreat cost, which allows the player to play Double Gust to their heart's content. As mentioned, Crobat works well with Meganium if you can get both lines up to Stage 2, since that makes Cross Poison cost a lousy [2 grass energy].
Crobat doesn't have an attack named "Cross Poison".

The NU analysis (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/nu):

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA
Missing a close bracket at the end.

The Substitute analysis (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/substitute):

Tyranitar @ LeftoversTyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 176 Atk / 28 Spe
Quiet nature (+SpA, -Spe)
The lead Pokemon analysis (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/leads)

Offensive teams, on the other hand, may rely on a lead for entry hazard support, Overall, it's very rare indeed to select a lead before the second half of a given battler's team building process, as you need to know what your team expects out of the lead role before selecting it.
I think what's meant is a full stop.

First thing is to determine some stuff about your lead. Does it need to complete a task, like laying out Stealth Rock? How mandatory is it that this task be completed? If my lead fails, will my team be able to recover from the deficit?
Inconsistency there - it's either your lead or my lead, not both.

The core crisis article (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/cores):

Pokémon such as Dragon Dance Salamence, Agility Metagross, and Dragon Dance Gyarados give this core a considerable amount of trouble if either one of them manage to set-up.
Since 3 Pokemon are mentioned, it should be "any" instead of "either".

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/latias

Hey guys,

Great article on Latias, but a couple issues:

Third sentence under "Introduction of sorts":
The infamous Celebi + Heatran (CeleTran) combination was still at large, Weavile was a plausable sweeper, Bronzong was a beast, and Choice Scarf Gengar was the ideal revenge killer.
"plausable" should be "plausible".

In the sentence right after this:
But then, Bullet Punch Scizor rose in usage and many Pokémon were never to be seen again and the former overshadowed Salamence gained what it had always longed for: Outrage.
"former" should be "formerly".

In the second paragraph:
Way back when stall was one of the most threatening assets of the game, semi-stall was virtually non-existant, and Toxic Spikes was actually useful, the metagame was still experiencing new revigoration and diversity.
"non-existant" should be "non-existent".

I think the title to the "Introduction and impact of Latias" section should have "impact" capitalized. In the first paragraph under this section:

TAY's "Pride & Prejudice" was the first major and publicized indicator of change to a new, more stale, and certainly less diverse metagame where Ice-, Fire-, and Grass-types were to suffer: the dawn of the "three Dragon, three Steel" metagame.
"more stale" should be "staler".

In the second paragraph:
At the time, there appeared to be a limited amount to how one could deal with such a draconian situation, and that was to pack as many Steel-types onto teams to sheild themselves from Draco Meteors, Outrages, etcetera.
The first highlighted portion is quite awkward. If anything, it should read "a limited number of ways..." or "few ways...". However, "and that was to..." implies that "to pack as many Steel-types" is the only or most effective way to deal with such a draconian situation. Therefore, the sentence should read either "At the time, there appeared to be only one way to deal with such a draconian situation, and that was to pack..." or "At the time, there appeared to be few ways to deal with such a draconian situation, the most effective of which was to pack...".
Also "sheild" should be "shield".

In the first paragraph of the "Banning" section:
The intensity of the discussions held in Stark Mountain and IRC chats in #stark were indicators of the sudden shift in opinions.
"The intensity...was an indicator...", not "The intensity...were indicators...".

In the final paragraph of the "Metagame Predictions" section:
Finally, stall will see a short surge in usage again before all the hype revolving around it is swiftly brought to an abrupt hault. Latias posed a particular threat to stall, being able to incapacitate it's #1 enemy, Blissey, leaving it prone to death by Pursuit from either Scizor or Tyranitar.
"hault" should be "halt" and "it's" should be "its".

Hey guys,

A couple more things about the History of Latias article in The Smog 10 (link in my post above) that I'm not sure of:

In the the second paragraph under "Introduction of Sorts", the author mentions the metagame experiencing "revigoration and diversity". Though "revigoration" appears in the Merriam-Webster (online) dictionary, I think the word is actually "invigoration" or "reinvigoration". Google, MS Word, Wordnet, and even this reply box don't seem to recognise "revigoration" (although the box also doesn't recognise "reinvigoration" either :P) I suppose it's no big deal since "revigoration", according to Merriam-Webster, has the same definition as "reinvigoration". It's just that I've never seen it before.

Also, in the first paragraph under "Introduction and Impact of Latias":
On the 31st of January, 2009, after a month of suspect ladder testing, debate, and deliberation, Latias was declared OU by an overwhelming majority with 80% of the vote in favor of its tiering degrading.
That last bit sounds a bit awkward to me. I think it'd sound better if it read "...in favor of degrading its tiering(or tiering placement, or something like that)".

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've taken care of the grammatical errors you've picked out in both of your posts, RheaJ, but decided to leave "revigoration" case as is since it is recognized by at least one dictionary. Thank you for your help!

Edit: Banedon's corrections have also been added.

Edit: As have Frosty's

Edit: Junk and Starkiller2, too (meaning everything from Shizzle's post down can be deleted at a mod's discretion)

The worthless abilities page from the Smog #10 (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/movesets):

This is decent enough for Sableye alone, but its true strength would be in doubles, where Trick Room would possess the highest priority and Fake Out would be slower than standard attacks (nevermind Protect, which drops to the bottom.).
Inappropriate punctuation.

The featured UU RMT (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/featured_rmt_uu):

Torterra gives an easy switch into slower defensive Pokémon like Registeel, allowing Torterra a free turn to Stealth Rock while generally forcing Registeel out with the threat of Earthquake.
When I first read this I wondered why on earth would anyone switch Registeel into Torterra ... ? And then I realized that what is meant by "gives" is that Torterra gives Jabba, not his opponent, the chance to switch in. I think the word's misleading; I'd suggest replacing it with "makes".

Water-type analysis (http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/type_analysis_water)

It also holds the notable distinction of being one of the few Rapid Spin users that can threaten Rotom-A effectively, as nothing likes switching into potentially a Life Orb-boosted STAB Hydro Pump.
I think this needs a few more words; it sounds awkward right now. I'd say change to "what is potentially".

Same Water-type analysis:

Gorebyss can run an identical set, and while its base Special Attack is ten points lower than Omastar's, it can run a mixed set with Aqua Tail to 2HKO Chansey, the bane of all special rain sweepers.
Gorebyss has 114 SpA, Omastar 115 - it's one point lower, not 10.

It can take special hits very well(with base 125 HP / 76 SpD) possesses an invaluable resistance to the "Bolt Beam" combination, and has access to STAB Thunderbolt with which to hit opposing Water-types.
Missing a space in the first case and a comma in the second.

From Salamence's overview:
Salamence has one big selling point in the Ubers metagame: when paired with Rayquaza, Salamence and Rayquaza can form an effective offensive partnership that is almost impossible to counter!
Taking the section after the colon by itself, it reads as "When paired with Rayquaza, Salamence and Rayquaza can form...". It's saying that Rayquaza is being paired with Salamence and Rayquaza, which isn't the case. I recommend removing the "when paired with Rayquaza" bit.

From Salamence's overview:

Taking the section after the colon by itself, it reads as "When paired with Rayquaza, Salamence and Rayquaza can form...". It's saying that Rayquaza is being paired with Salamence and Rayquaza, which isn't the case. I recommend removing the "when paired with Rayquaza" bit.
well it was technically okay but kinda awkward and redundant so i reworded it.

thanks. in the future please link to the analysis in question :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)