Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
yeah, i live in Washington and already went to the seattle one, i power-balled my way through my first two rounds but got hit by a strategy i never expected in a hundred years. my opponent abused destiny bond and i was the perfect opponent for him because my team is built around having to hit you one time to kill you. you shoulda seen my face...ooooo the anger. but i planed on going to two of them :)

Thats when a well placed taunt really helps. But I suppose you didn't know. That team went on but eventually lost in the quarter finals I believe. You lost to a good opponent at least.

Ninahaza

o really, i didnt stay to watch the rest because videos go up on youtube fast. but 1 thing is for sure i am gonna either go to the san-fran stop or the pheonix stop and i am completely redoing my team because there a SOOOOOO many earthquake/flyer combos my God, groudon is a beast for those and i guess they are a good strat especially with a zapdos as the flyer with his scrfed discharged, so thats what my second team is gonna be built around countering, o and abomasnow.

How far do you need to be in game to enter? Do you need to have beaten the elite four? Or can I just have one badge and it'll be okay?

Does anyone have an opinion on why Empoleon has been absent thus far? He was semi-prominent last year... With so many 'Snows runnin' around, you'd think he get more use with his 4X resist to ice. Plus he gets rain boosted STAB attacks. Is there some meta-game nuance I'm not thinking of which makes him less viable?

R4M3N, sadly I think the reason it has so little attention is because it is so weak to some of the biggest threats: Groudon's STAB EQ, Kyogre's Thunder and (on a lesser note, but since Empoleon is heavy) Abomasnow's STAB Grassknot.

Empoleon has great Attack and the ability to abuse Aqua Jet but it isn't worth using in this meta, I don't think.

R4M3N, sadly I think the reason it has so little attention is because it is so weak to some of the biggest threats: Groudon's STAB EQ, Kyogre's Thunder and (on a lesser note, but since Empoleon is heavy) Abomasnow's STAB Grassknot.

Empoleon has great Attack and the ability to abuse Aqua Jet but it isn't worth using in this meta, I don't think.
You also forgot about stab mach punches, low kicks, and aura spheres galore. He also takes normal damage from fire attacks, which can become a factor in the sun.

So, here's a nifty question... I don't mean this to sound about hack checking... because it isn't.

I was wondering, I've heard of people getting disqualified because they had multiple pokemon on their team know grass knot because only one TM is available per game. Now, is this true, can they just forego the hack check simply because you have two grass knots or two explosions or whatever on your team? Anyone been to the seattle with two grass knotters?

I had Grass Knot on my Azelf and Ludicolo, which seem to be fine. But I remember that happening to someone on here. But now with most people having D/P/Pt and HG/SS, the excuse of DQ for a thing like that is complete BS, just like the same reason as last year.

I had Grass Knot on my Azelf and Ludicolo, which seem to be fine. But I remember that happening to someone on here. But now with most people having D/P/Pt and HG/SS, the excuse of DQ for a thing like that is complete BS, just like the same reason as last year.
Okay, that's what I wanted to know, if I listed two pokemon on my sheet with grass knot if they'll be like "nope, you're shit out of luck." 'cause that would suck...

Okay, that's what I wanted to know, if I listed two pokemon on my sheet with grass knot if they'll be like "nope, you're shit out of luck." 'cause that would suck...
I think the person had multiple Grass Knot TMs in thier bag, which it is a 1 per game TM. Not because multiple pokemon on his/her team had grass knot. I could be wrong though.

I think its because they had about 50 or more. The chances of someone doing that without AR is very unlikely. It is possible but if they had 50 or more of every TM it would definitely seemed hacked. This goes along with a lot of master balls. Just don't hack.

I think its because they had about 50 or more. The chances of someone doing that without AR is very unlikely. It is possible but if they had 50 or more of every TM it would definitely seemed hacked. This goes along with a lot of master balls. Just don't hack.
Okay, I kind of freaked out a bit when I heard the story I wasn't sure of the exact details, now I feel much safer... thank you very much for your help :)

Is Fire Blast generally a better choice on GoodStuff Palkia than Flamethrower? I've always been an accuracy person, but the chance to OHKO 252 HP / 252 Atk Metagross intrigues me.

So, here's a nifty question... I don't mean this to sound about hack checking... because it isn't.

I was wondering, I've heard of people getting disqualified because they had multiple pokemon on their team know grass knot because only one TM is available per game. Now, is this true, can they just forego the hack check simply because you have two grass knots or two explosions or whatever on your team? Anyone been to the seattle with two grass knotters?
Well, from my experience from last year, when I attended the Nashville VGC, I was fortunate enough to make it to the final 16 round, (with my unique hail team, which ironically has been more semi popular this year with the addition to ubers) and they took my cartridge away. At first I wasn't worried, then I remembered that I had used my AR to get 999 berries and TMs and thought I would be DQ'd. But apparently not. I managed to get to the next round, where I played ImperfectLuck and lost by a stupid mistake I made, although I did do a fair bit of haxxing on him at that time (BrightPowder Lass had three Flamethrowers missed with his Azelf ;] ).
But again, this year is different than the last. I'm not going to take the risk of using my AR on my SoulSilver cartridge though.

Ninahaza

hey i have a question about shedninja, never used him nor do i encounter him much so i appreciate the help. in this video of the seattle regional senior semi finals[link below] the shedninja takes a hit but survives thanks to focus sash, so my confusion is how he survived the blizzard that turn because he deosnt even take a hit from it and since shedninja remains at full health why deos focus sash not activate again next turn when he is attcked at FULL health.
LINK- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmEAcarLIQc&feature=related

Ninahaza

ok never mind about the blizzard part, i didnt fully realize the partner pokemon's awsomeness, but still the killing blow at full health with focus sash remains, maybe i am too tired to not see the answer again

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey i have a question about shedninja, never used him nor do i encounter him much so i appreciate the help. in this video of the seattle regional senior semi finals[link below] the shedninja takes a hit but survives thanks to focus sash, so my confusion is how he survived the blizzard that turn because he deosnt even take a hit from it and since shedninja remains at full health why deos focus sash not activate again next turn when he is attcked at FULL health.
LINK- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmEAcarLIQc&feature=related
Shedinja has the ability Wonder Guard. Only super-effective attacks, status, and weather affects him. He's immune to Blizzard. Also, Focus Sash is one time use so once he used it, it's gone. Hail which comes out once Abomasnow switches in is a OHKO and he'd have died right away if he didn't have Rayquaza.

Ninahaza

ahh, ok that was my confusion with the focus sash cause it says if the user is at full hp it can activate again, i just didnt know if that was after it has activated once or just in general if you can fully heal after taking hits it activates. ty again for the summary :)

Question: Do the people who run it, know that EV training has been cracked?
Or has anyone who ever had gone, and asked the judges, or people who running about EVs/IVs, or were they clueless, and say. "Pikachu is great, its Electric Attacks are strong"

EV training was intended to be used for this purpose. It was never 'cracked' as such. But yes, the judges should know about EVs and IVs; I know that one of the US judges (Marriland) is a competitive battler himself.

I actually asked the staff at the London event last year if they played Pokemon themselves or anything (these were the peeps distributing the Milotics) and they said they'd "had a days training". Take what you will from that. :p

Are pokemon that are cloned with action replay allowed in vgc? Most people clone in thier trade threads so it must be legit.

I actually asked the staff at the London event last year if they played Pokemon themselves or anything (these were the peeps distributing the Milotics) and they said they'd "had a days training". Take what you will from that. :p
STAFF and JUDGES are different things.

STAFF are able bodys and hands who are there through an agency where they staff events, festivals, conventions, etc.

JUDGES are hand picked by TPCi for their superior knowledge and experience with the game.

This year, Pokemon Professors (TPCi's TCG Judges) are able to volunteer if they wish. TPCi would rather have a Professor to volunteer then pay an agency to staff an event. There are 2 positives to having Pokemon professors.
One, the event staff will have full knowledge of what pokemon are, as they have full knowledge of the game already, thus no real training except for actual event organization.
Two, they are giving great opportunity for newer professors to gain experience for when it comes to staffing bigger events like Nationals and Worlds.

So, this year there will be more knowledgeable staff - but there will still be people there just to help the event run smoothly and not have perfect knowledge of the game.

Question: Do the people who run it, know that EV training has been cracked?
Or has anyone who ever had gone, and asked the judges, or people who running about EVs/IVs, or were they clueless, and say. "Pikachu is great, its Electric Attacks are strong"
STAFF that take your registeration sheet and turn on and off the playing stations - no. They probably do not.
JUDGES and TPCi Staff - yes. they know the game inside and out. EVs, IVs, PIDs, etc. And they lurk around these forums on a daily basis. Marrilland, Serebii, Pokegym, Smogon - there is a guy on their staff where they sole job is to do R&D and lurk around these sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)