CAP 15 CAP 4 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspirations, nothing really in particular, maybe a bit of the chimera ant king from Hunter x Hunter, a few random bugs like beetles and bees, and I guess Ultear original costume in Fairy Tail

Nastyjungle: no why you do scorpion that's my idea (jk)

In any case, i love the texture and shadows, but it seems very clunky and blobby (probably intentional but looks awkward, especially in the head area). It doesn't look to psychic-y to me, since it's mainly just browns with purple here and there, which doesn't convey the secondary typing as well as it was supposed to. I probably would have confused it for Bug-Dark type if I didn't know more about the CAP project right now.

Great design though (but it looks like it's having more babies :P)

Steampowered: The left foot (or right for the pokemon), seems at a slightly weird angle, and the underbelly looks disproportionate to the brown shell part.

Thunderbuckets:
Can't find the bug or psychic in it, looks more like an electric type. The leg things on it sides aren't enough to make it like a bug, since the cat out shadows it.

Base Speed: Looks fine, just the wings seem kind of funny and there isn't enough pink to convey psychic.

Here's mine (just moving it down to this post)

http://i49.tinypic.com/24zyhwp.png

http://oekaki.marriland.com/doodle/pictures/MO_D_116409.png

Bug/Psychic. The reason I chose the ant as the insect to make into a pokemon is because of the whole Hivemind/Collective Consciousness. I also chose to base the concept on Buddhism, because they are enlightened (or so i think), and that correlates to the psychic typing. The hands are in a specific position. The top left on the heart is sign language for happiness, the top right with crossed fingers represents the kundalini, the bottom is sign language for balance, and they represent the Four Noble Truths. \

I know sketchy looks like feces, but im more for the concept, the design at the moment rather than a clean look. Im not sure if religious ideas are allowed for cap, and since this is heavily inspired by buddhism, id like to know if its not allowed before i get laughed off out of the thread.
I love your concept. Could you do the same thing, with a praying mantis?

I joined the forum just so I could post in this thread, so here we go.

I liked all the different takes on the "Psychic" part of our Psychic/Bug so I decided to run with that. I was inspired by the concept of a "blind prophet," so that is the concept that drives my basic design here. The Pokemon cannot see, but it can see the future with the orb it is holding. The addition of the nose was meant to make it look more like a stinger. The "riskiness" in the design is in that the Pokemon cannot speak either, the orb speaks for it instead, and the orb is more malicious than the Pokemon. The scarf/hood that the Pokemon is wearing serves multiple purposes by being arms, wings, and a nice cosmetic touch. I could use advice on color schemes and ways to make it more "Bug" than "Psychic."

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist

Cleaned up the lineart a lot and modified some shading and colors. I agree the old wings were too greenish. Maybe this palette is more suiting to your um, palettes?

I rather am loking the cute lil Seraph Bug the more I tinker with it lol.

Also nasty that's awesome. I was hoping someone would take the arachnid route and incorporate the mothers carrying the offspring (some spiders do this too I believe)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/buggcopy.png

Cleaned up the lineart a lot and modified some shading and colors. I agree the old wings were too greenish. Maybe this palette is more suiting to your um, palettes?
That looks a lot nicer, the shading and edges look more defined and the edges are not so blurred. I would like to see it with a few different colors and pupils in the eyes. Also, are the eyes supposed to look slightly 3D, or are they hollow, and we are seeing the inside of the head when we look through them? Other than that it looks great!

Amazonic shaman moth. This is a very rough sketch, just to see if the idea gets aproval. The wings resemble an aura, or some trippy shaman vision, but maybe they are a bit too colorfull and steal attention from the body.

I really like Calad's first design, the fortuneteller looks great. CyzirVisheen's worm in a wormhole is very original and blends the concept very well, I can't wait to see more of it. Same goes to Teravolt. And Toxiphox idea of using the previous evolution is just awesome. The design is really good as well. Great job all.

I love your concept. Could you do the same thing, with a praying mantis?
I could certainly create a mantis, but it would end up having a completely different feel than the ant.

Some crit, will finish after work (hides not working)
Akela- A sentient web? Certainly an interesting idea, Though Im not sure how it would stand or any of that? What if you add in some sticks to act as stilts or something?
Aragorn- pfft as if i really have anything to say about this. Its clever and beautiful and I love it
Asylum_Rhapsody- Rorschach moth. Just imagine if you did something like spinda with this? crazy crazy crazy. Back to reality, The wings are cool, but if you look at the other moth/butterfly pokemon, you see that their heads are usually giant compared to their body
Base Speed- For some reason I get more of a Dark feel from this design rather than psychic. I think its partly to do with the eyes. What if the middle eye was the only one that was red(I would almost prefer something closer to purple, but its certainly not required), and the other two were cute large round and black? could look interesting no?
Birkal- A crustacean, a different approach, but it works. I like the whole idea behind it. A cute prop for your magician cockroach!
Calad- I liked your first design better personally, as the ufo Caterpillar looks like a first stage in a three stage evolution, the caterpie to the butterfree. I like the Fortune teller guy though, he captures both ideas superbly, and I would be happy if this design won
CBMeadow- This design is certainly a step towards the more bizarre, and bugs certainly can be quite bizarre! other than the whole alien speal, it doesnt feel very psychic. I gotta say though, I love your supporting material
Cartoons!- Hey! looks like we hive minded the whole hive mind idea! You certainly got hit by the lovebug this cap! Nothing i can really say other than I'd be happy with this as being CaP 4
CyzirVisheen- Ahh what a perfect idea, a parasite! Now thats the definition of Bug/Psychic and the funniest thing is it looks like Weevil Underwood. I just wish it wasnt so obviously human form...though my submission is very human form too isnt it? As for the Wyrmhole, I could totally see this thing being a badass pokemon with a great backstory to boot. I would be happy with either idea as Cap 4
DarkLatias92- Honestly feels so much more like a bug/flying than a bug/psychic. I like the design, but it just doesnt have any psychic elements to it, but i'd love to see you flesh out this design with more mystical ideas in it.
DougJustDoug- Cute, so cute and i love the eyes and the book and its great. Id like to see this colored!
EmpoleonGuru- Man the cute just continues. The mustache mandible ideas is really clever and I loved this design since i saw it. It obviously had elements of the scorpion, Why not add some pincers?
Furosuto- I like this. This captures an Alien/outerworldly atmosphere perfectly, while still being pretty cute. I cant wait to see this really fleshed out
Guy in Corner- I see this as totally a psychic type, but im really got getting much of a bug vibe from it. I like the description. It relies on the orb to speak, and the orb may speak lies against the will of the fortune teller.
Heros and Cons- Interesting, but not too thrilled by it. Also, read the rules, you need a clear outline around the entire thing, including the flow between the orbs.
KOA- At first i thought those were folded wings, but now i see them more like shields, which could work great if we have weak armor as the ability.
Leethoof- I feel like this concept is slightly redundant, as we have Vespiquen, and i would like to see some other bug and nest be the idea. Why not check out Termites? They do the same thing and live in HUGE nests!
Lawrence III- Oh damn, you want cute, this is the choice man. I just wanna hug it until it explodes into a billion pieces and hug each piece till it explodes in a billion pieces and hug...ahem, I mean The idea of deceptive cuteness makes it that much more appealing.
Mari- Psychic Tick?
I like it, its another idea featuring the parasite.
Matezoide- Oh goodness, get your pikmin away from this guy! Cute, in an ugly sort of way lol
Mos_Quixote- I like the sciencefly the best, but id like it so much more if those eyes werent way outside the head, and if it had some limbs or something.

Ahh 123ericn beat me to the orchid mantis design, but here's my concept, its still a WIP:

The abdomen of the orchid mantis is supposed to look like the back of a Psychic's chair.

If you have any suggestions on improving the design I would greatly appreciate them!

I have 4 rough designs of the CAP I decided to revamp since my last post. Taking suggestions of what to do with the body since I am unsure myself how to make it look the best.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/Pokethan/CAP%204/Pokemon-CAP4-Sketch-Variation-1.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/Pokethan/CAP%204/Pokemon-CAP4-Sketch-Variation-2.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/Pokethan/CAP%204/Pokemon-CAP4-Sketch-Variation-3.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/Pokethan/CAP%204/Pokemon-CAP4-Sketch-Variation-4.jpg

Any critiques, criticism is welcome because I would like to improve on the design because I personally think its really cool. Its based off the Luna Moth which is a moth that has eye shaped patterns on its wings. KoA beat me to the punch with the floating wing thing though but I didn't try to copy off of him with this design.

PLEASE CRITIQUE I WANT TO IMPROVE ON THE DESIGN BEFORE I COLOR IT!!!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Some IRC people asked me to develop my poolbug design more. I'm not very happy with the design, but this is the general idea of it. Hope you like it! It's just a rough draft now; there's a lot of things I would change about it before a final design.

He's similar to one of the magical 8-ball toys. If you don't know about it, it's basically a magical item that you can shake and it will tell you the future. I like to think that this Pokemon can sense luck in others. I also wanted to go a bit more physical with a design, so I decided to make this poolbug a bit beefy.

If I keep on with this design, it will probably end up standing taller, among other things. He might end up looking a bit more bulky depending on stats. Again, I'm not a huge fan of the patterns I chose, so expect those to change up if I go with this. Know that I'm torn between this and my hatbug (I've also improved its design), so let me know which of those two you like best.

Going back to a regular appearance of a bug. this is my last concept.

Color is not set in stone. Would like feedback on the design and color before I worry about minor details or shading.

There are a lot of different archetypes of psychic pokemon designs in the games, and I think that a lot of designs that have caught flack for not looking "psychic enough" actually fall into to one or the other of them. I just wanted to talk about some of these archetypes because I think they are perfectly canonically acceptable ways of showing the Psychic type.

Automatons and Manmade Objects - Gen may focused on "nature vs. technology" in the design of their pokemon, but the theme of some pokemon being based on technology goes back to RBY. In each generation, manmade objects are depicted as Psychic-type, with a few being Ghost-type or Electric-type. Some of these are ancient constructs that were built and given life, while others just have designs based on manmade objects. Notable examples of this are Baltoy/Claydol, Bronzor/Bronzong, Chingling/Chimecho, Darmanitan-Z, Lunatone/Solrock, Natu/Xatu, Unown, and Sigilyph. Mewtwo doesn't quite fit this but is similar as it was grown in a lab.

Multiple Minds working together - pretty self explanatory, notable examples are: Exeggcute/Exeggutor, Beldum/Metang/Metagross, Girafarig, Solosis/Duosion/Reuniclus, and Wynaut/Wobbuffett.

Humanshape - there are two types that humanshape pokemon tend to be, and one of them is psychic; although often there is extra psychic-related lore associated with them that may or may not relate to their design. Examples include Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam, Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevior/Gallade, Meditite/Medicham, Meloetta, Mime Jr/Mr. Mime, and Smoochum/Jynx. The other type is fighting, obviously.

Psychic powers humans have claim to have - I think this is a better way of describing the archetype that many have referred to as "mystical". These are based on extraordinary powers that various people have claimed to have which are not part of ordinary human ability. Their designs tend to evoke the people or tools that are used for these various psychic abilities, such as Alakazam's spoons. Examples are: Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam (spoon-bending/telekinesis) Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle (ESP,Astrology), Hypno (Hypnosis), and Jirachi (Granting wishes).

Extraterrestrial - Deoxys, Beldum/Metang/Metagross, and Elygem/Beheeyem are from outer space.

This list is not all-inclusive, and there are many other ways to show Psychic-type. These are some that I think people in this thread have overlooked, however.

Ahh 123ericn beat me to the mantis lotus design, but here's my concept, its still a WIP:

http://oi48.tinypic.com/atw83k.jpg

The abdomen of the mantis lotus is supposed to look like the back of a Psychic's chair.

If you have any suggestions on improving the design I would greatly appreciate them!
Dugout, that's pretty damn good, imo. My concern is that the legs look a bit thin for the rest of the body, perhaps bulking them up a little might have a good effect?
I also really like Yilx and KoA's works. Only suggestions might be to fool around with their coloring a bit, see what combinations you guys can come up with, and who knows, you might find something really cool.

I redo my bug because I failed to change my first design to be less "trio's like".

Below is a Treehopper, I hope it's not so weird.
First attempt: http://imageshack.us/a/img33/2728/bugzg.jpg (this gives you the overall idea)
Second attempt: http://imageshack.us/a/img571/5139/bug3i.jpg

edit: Here's a colored one:
first: http://imageshack.us/a/img204/5640/bugcolored.png
second: http://imageshack.us/a/img99/2098/bugcolored2.png

I'm not very good in deciding the colors, I need some feedback.

@Cartoons!: Thanks, to be honest, I was worry when the first attempt looked like Metapod 2.0.

I dig that mantis too, DugoutCanoe. I love designs that incorporate some kind of visual pun, and you executed yours cleanly and effectively. I could live without the random cloth draped around its forearm though. How would it look wrapped around their head or as a 'shawl' of sorts, I wonder?

Birkal, designing a Pokemon after a magic-8 ball doesn't say much about its competitive reliability, but I think you have something you can roll with here. I'm not sure I get the proboscis and would love to see you come up with another solution on how to handle the face. If the outlook on that happening is not so good, I still think its a fun silly concept which I'm always a fan of.

NJ. I want to strike at its weak points with my sword and bow!

edit: Puffinhour, I had to google what a treehopper was...what a cool design! And I like how you interpreted it too! It has a sort of menacing royal jester look to it.

PLEASE don't take any of this the wrong way.

On another note, I think we should try to make a pokemon that does look psychic to us, specifically because gamefreak does such a terrible job of it. I completely disagree with you, and the pokemon should at least have enough of a hint of the typing that you know without having to think too much.

@BlackLight
I will certainly work on fixing the legs. Thanks for your input! :D

@Cartoons!
I agree that the arm drape looks rather odd. I've worked on a neck shawl before the arm drape but this seemed to make it look less mantis-like. I'll keep experimenting though, thank you!

Ahh 123ericn beat me to the mantis lotus design, but here's my concept, its still a WIP:

http://oi48.tinypic.com/atw83k.jpg

The abdomen of the mantis lotus is supposed to look like the back of a Psychic's chair.

I like this one especially due to the fact that it (Not to get ahead of ourselves or anything,) looks like both a special and physical attacker. Three changes i'd like to see are: Shading, to give it some more detail, like BlackLight said, widen the legs a little bit, and thin that bulge on it's tail/abdomen, it looks a bit out of proportion to the rest of the body, kind of like the legs.

So I put some colour into this here. How does the design look?

So basically, the design is an alien worm. I decided to give it one single eye in the middle of it's head to give it that creepier feel to it. I'm thinking of adding some markings to it's head to give it more detail, since while I think that the body is good, the head feels a little flat. What do you guys think of it?

canno

formerly The Reptile
I like spiders. c:

His eight eyes are everywhere, because eyes = psychic, right? :D Anyways, the sketch is pretty crappy at the moment, but I like the general idea I'm going with this. The only problem that I have is I have trouble conveying the Psychic-type.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd429/Insanitous/ColorsSpiderMon.png

Eyes should probably be Yellow instead of White, but w/e

Also, pencil sketch (it's better than tablet sketch imo, but I can't color irl, so yeah)

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd429/Insanitous/PencilSpiderMon.png

The reason the second-to-last hands are different is because I wanted him to SOMEHOW use Megahorn

Update 2 (WIP):

Updates:
@fryfrey Thanks for your suggestion about fixing proportions of the abdomen and legs. I tweaked the design a bit but the frail leg size are similar to the look of mantis' legs. As far as shading goes, I don't want to shade until I have a final design chosen. Once again thanks!

@Cartoons! Thanks for the feedback, removed the arm drape :)

Edit:
Picture of an actual orchid mantis: http://www.origamicupcake.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/C_KAT_G-orchid-mantis.jpg
_____

Any suggestions about improving/fixing my design would be greatly appreciated!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am slightly in love with your design DugoutCanoe...

Best option so far in my opinion.

Update 2 (WIP):
http://oi46.tinypic.com/33dulnb.jpg

Updates:
@fryfrey Thanks for your suggestion about fixing proportions of the abdomen and legs. I tweaked the design a bit but the frail leg size are similar to the look of mantis' legs. As far as shading goes, I don't want to shade until I have a final design chosen. Once again thanks!

_____

Any suggestions about improving/fixing my design would be greatly appreciated!
Looking much better! A few more suggestions: The antenna and neck look too straight, can we see what they look like when slightly bent at a few angles? Especially near the top. Also, I'd just like to see the body a bit narrower at the bottom, if it's not too much trouble. This one is my favorite so far. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)