1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Most Disappointingly Weak NPC

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Chou Toshio, Oct 5, 2012.

1. zpattack12

zpattack12

Morty in HGSS was pretty easy with Togepi. On one gengar, he has mean look/dream eater/sucker punch/ghost type move as a moveset. If you spam metronome, he can't do anything to you, and extra sensory cleans house.
  2. waterwarrior

waterwarrior

I'm not sure if this counts because it was an event battle, but the battle in HGSS against Giovanni was frankly a cop-out on all accounts. By the time that event came around, there's about a 100% chance you've already beaten the game, and Giovanni's team was just stupidly weak as well. For example, Nidoking's best move being Shadow Claw. on a Nidoking. As in, the same Nidoking that used to spam the hell out of Earthquake.
  3. Jorgen

Jorgen World's Strongest Fairy
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I don't know if this counts but finding out my lv. 3 Pidgey could beat Giovanni's Duggy in Yellow was pretty hilarious
  4. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

Another battle that was dissapointingly easy was Tate and Liza... in Ruby and Sapphire at least. In Emerald they become absolutely terrifying, but thankfully their Pokemon have many, many weakness to exploit in Ruby and Sapphire and only two Pokemon on their team total, making them pretty damn easy to defeat. Hell, Taunt shuts them down almost completely should you have it, and if you can take out Solrock quickly any dark type becomes a win-condition due to Lunatone having only psychic attacks. So basically, if you have a Mightyena, you're totally set.
  5. Pika25

Pika25

Recall those YouTube videos about those Level 1 Shuppets? They were used against high-leveled Pokémon that knew nothing other than Normal- or Fighting-type attacks and moves involving sleep (as the Shuppets were Ghosts and had Insomnia Ability). Ironically, one of those Pokémon was Falkner's (I think his Swellow?).
  6. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

>__> If you're going to do something like this, why battle any in-game opponent? Any of them can be brought to their knees using Trick + Choice Scarf + Set Up sweeper
  7. Pika25

Pika25

But would you lose your choice scarf in the process? I have a feeling that that's a no. I tried a sturdy Poke use Thief to swipe Cheren's starter's Focus Sash, it looked like the sash was intact during the battle, but afterward it was gone.
  8. callforjudgement

callforjudgement

You would lose it in the first 4 generations, but not in generation V.

In previous generations, changes to items stood at the end of the battle. In Black/White, though, this is only true in wild battles; in trainer battles, non-consumable items get returned to their owner at the end of the battle. (Consumables just get destroyed if they're used up, and otherwise get returned, if say they're Tricked but unused.)

The whole Trickscarfmemento thing is pretty difficult to do ingame, though; it takes a lot of setup. BW Cynthia's one of the few trainers who's setup bait without spending a huge length of time in preparation.
  9. DTC

DTC ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus

That's like saying that some really good team in OU is terrible (let's say, stall) because it's 6-0'd by some random niche NU Pokemon. I have to say that that is a really interesting strategy, though.

Ghestis and Lenora were really annoying. I remember overleveling my Pignite to like level 24 in a nuzlocke just to beat Lenora and I still lost (partly thanks to hax; mostly thanks to Lenora just being really annoying to battle in general).
  10. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

BW2 disappointments:

Roxie: For probably being one of the most badass-looking gym leaders and giving Ash such a hell of a time in the anime, she gets destroyed by L11 Magnemite and becomes its stepping stone to BW2 destruction. yeah >.>

Ghetsis: Hardest trainer in BW? Probably. BW2? Complete disappointment. Most especially his Hydreigon, who went from all-special to all-physical. um what.
    also he suicided by his life orb, neat

Zinzolin: who's this crazy fucker stalking me with three fighting-weak pokemon with shit defense
  11. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

Probably all of the team leaders, though Giovanni is pretty cool.
  12. Count Serperior

Count Serperior

^ Can't forget Cyrus + BW1 Ghetsis. They were actually hard IMO.

Other than those two I'd say they were all easy and not memorable (Ok, Mars and her FAT Purugly was memorable)

Leaders in BW2 are sadly kinda pathetic too (I only thought the first one was difficult, but easily subdued with a bit of T-wave+Growl)
  13. SJCrew

SJCrew Believer, going on a journey...
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

There's really no doubt in my mind it's RBY Lance. When I was 9, I used a Vaporeon 10-20 levels lower than his entire team and swept it completely. The fact that I chose Vaporeon and Ice Beam out of all my options was pure chance, since I wasn't even trying to beat him. Vaporeon was flat out cooler than Jolteon and Flareon. I don't blame Lance for that though. Ice typing was simply a force in RBY. I believe Pokemon Stadium Round 1 was soloed by my Golduck.

I still haven't beaten Round 2.
  14. Unbreakable

Unbreakable

I dunno about that, the one under Cycling Road can be a bit of a problem if you're not adequately prepared. The one just outside Rustboro is thankfully optional, though with Brawly coming up you're probably going to want the experience. By the time you're pulling out of the Weather Institute on the way to Fortree, yeah, they're a joke.

Bertha. I mean, Whiscash is the only thing preventing that crone from getting soloed by a decently leveled Empoleon. Golem AND Rhyperior on the same team screams "surf me to death" even with the Hippowdon lead.
  15. dinosaurdan

dinosaurdan

Bw2 Ghetsis, why is he so easy now?
    "Hello, I'm the boss of Team Plasma, but I'm worse than the guy I plucked off the streets." Soloed this epic pushover with Drapion.
  16. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

He stupidly put physical moves on a Hydreigon. He's going crazy.
  17. Wrave

Wrave

Roxie in BW2. I can go get a Magnemite (your mom gives you a hint to visit the complex) and then solo her WHOLE gym.
  18. TruthfulCake

TruthfulCake

G/S/C Lance.
    - Underleveled despite being the champion
    - Three of the same species - each with its share of inaccurate special attacks. - Hyper Beam not as good anymore.
    - Defeated by a Water-type with an Ice-type move.

The only real threat in his team is Aerodactyl with its overwhelming speed and flinchax Rock Slides.

With the buildup since Mahogany Town, and his reputation in Blackthorn, you would expect him to have at least one Kingdra and a competent Dragonite. What a letdown.
  19. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

considering said hydreigon was full special on bw1, yeah he's mad

ignoring that if you really wanted you could just stall out 11 turns with items and he'll self-destruct with life orb
  20. dinosaurdan

dinosaurdan

Also Marlon. And his whole gym. And his weird tan-line. If you had a poke that could take a hit, you were COMPLETELY fine.
    EDIT: Never mind, every gym was that way.
  21. ala

ala
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

The 7th gym guy in Pokemon GSC. I know Ice is a shitty typing but still...I blew through that one pretty easily, I mean really, come on Nintendo, GIVE HIM ARTICUNO OR SOMETHING

god
  22. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

iirc he was that weak because you could fight him before chuck/jasmine or something

considering you'd be overlevelled for him >.<
  23. ala

ala
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

True but still...all the other gyms are relatively tough; Pidgeotto in the first gym, Scyther in the second, FUCKING MILTANK, Morty had some decent leveled Ghosts, Dynamic Punch hax in the 5th, Jasmine and her Steelix/Thunderbolt Magnemites, Claire and her dargons. The old dude in the 7th gym gets what....Icy Wind? That's his specialty? Gamefreak must really hate seniors or something.
  24. Alice in Strings

Alice in Strings

Wallace/ Juan was never that much of a hassle either (lol Luvdisc). It seems that Water type Gyms are harder the earlier they appear, as both Crasher Wake and Misty were decent challenges in their original games.

As for Underleveled Lance in GSC...are you playing the same game as I am? The guy with the Level 50 Dragonite and you have a team of Level 40-42 Pokemon at best?
  25. skulltula

skulltula

The rival in pokemon black 2 is ridiculously easy

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)