Most Disappointingly Weak NPC

not really... he was more difficult than Bianca. Anyone remember the E4 of RS? Holy Berjebus they were easy. Wallace was by far, the easiest champion. How the hell did a guy who used LUVDISC, SEALEO, and SEAKING seriously, become the champion of anything, let alone a gym leader?

As for Underleveled Lance in GSC...are you playing the same game as I am? The guy with the Level 50 Dragonite and you have a team of Level 40-42 Pokemon at best?
My team was around level 45 by the time I reached Lance. I remember Karen being the greatest hurdle for me among the GSC E4, and once I got past her, it did not take much to beat Lance's army of Dragonites. Maybe it's because I could actually outspeed them... but still, despite the varying difficulty one may have in taking Lance down, I think it was the fact that Lance was so hyped from his previous appearances that made me expect more than three Dragonites with Thundermiss or bad Hyper Beams.

Not nearly as bad as RB Blue, though, since the Pokemon actually have movesets, and Aerodactyl was hard despite not being draconian to me.

Speaking of disappointing NPCs, I hate Marley. She is one of the last tag partners in Platinum, and I expected her to be as good as Mira. Then she sends out Arcanine, which is awesome and all, but the AI just keeps spamming Helping Hand, even though the only helping hand I need is Arcanine using Fire Fang or Extremespeed at the opposing Pokemon. She is more of a bane than a boon, and you don't expect that much suck so late in the game.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Guys, Roxie is only easy because she has the Lt. Surge Syndrome - She is unlucky that there is an obtainable Pokemon that you can get before the gym that steamrolls the Gym nearby... :S

Like how people say Lt. Surge is easy since you can get a Diglett/Dugtrio in the nearby Diglett's Cave in RBYFRLG.

Also, Wallace the Gym Leader is a tad easy, but Wallace the Champion is no joke, it took me fucking forever to beat him (That could be because I was not as smart back then, but w/e). Annoying Milotic that can recover health & toxic-stall you? Check. A Ludicolo that spams Double Team, drain you with Leech Seed, & hax you? Check. A Gyarados that sets up Dragon Dance before ripping your team apart with little sweat? Check.

not really... he was more difficult than Bianca. Anyone remember the E4 of RS? Holy Berjebus they were easy. Wallace was by far, the easiest champion. How the hell did a guy who used LUVDISC, SEALEO, and SEAKING seriously, become the champion of anything, let alone a gym leader?
Especially since Steven was amazingly hard in his own right (even though his Aggron was running Special moves. wut?), Wallace just felt...weird. Steven ran Pokemon that you hadn't even seen yet. Metagross, Cradily, Armaldo, Skarmory? You were lucky to have even seen Skarm, and a new player wouldn't know to attack its weak Special Defense (or rock out with a Magneton?). Metagross...is a Pseudo Legendary, so obviously it's going to be somewhat difficult, ESPECIALLY since you don't know its typing if you were only playing the game for the first time. So yes, Steven was a huge challange. Wallace was a let-down.

(Don't tell anyone that Misty's Seaking in the PWT steamrolled me back and forth in a doubles battle)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Guys, Roxie is only easy because she has the Lt. Surge Syndrome - She is unlucky that there is an obtainable Pokemon that you can get before the gym that steamrolls the Gym nearby... :S

Like how people say Lt. Surge is easy since you can get a Diglett/Dugtrio in the nearby Diglett's Cave in RBYFRLG.

Just play Challenge mode... I got so fucking psyched out when her Grimar used MUD SLAP on my magnemite... GAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! (magnemite is only 2hko'd though btw, grimar's special attack is crap, and mudslap's power is too)

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Speaking of PWT, anyone find Type expert Bug's Walter close to impossible. His Heracross has Choice Band, Ninjask has Protect-Baton Pass Combo, and his Parasect uses Spore.
Walter? I 32-0'd him with a Scizor (okay, Garchomp died >.>). Disappointingly weak.

Guys, Roxie is only easy because she has the Lt. Surge Syndrome - She is unlucky that there is an obtainable Pokemon that you can get before the gym that steamrolls the Gym nearby... :S.
This, basically. Without said Lt.Surge Syndrome if you get Poisoned she's capable of spamming Base 130 STAB's at you that will basically OHKO anything.

That's like Lenora using Retaliate, boosted, every single turn.

Yea but I'm pretty sure she didn't even try to poison me, and i didn't have to use Magnemite against her. Just used Growlithe (LV matching her lower ones) and took them all out. That was disappointing to me because that's the first time I've done that without intending to while the Pokemon out wasn't strong against all of the opponents.

My vote is another for Lance in GSC for all the reasons previously mentioned. Also, it is my opinion that (given equal levels) Misty would be able to beat him 8 times out of 10. I believe there are others too, but Misty jumps to the top of the list simply based on typing. Overall it was and still is a mostly disappointing battle.

I remember by Lance in SS I had a level 64 Flygon (replaced my started with a Trapinch ASAP) and I OHKOd his whole team easily... but the Elite Four in general was hilariously easy when I had solod the whole gym with one Pokemon. (Holy crap Vibrava vs ice gym was hard...)
Most disappointing for me was Gamefreak Morimoto in BW. I read about him thinking I'd be fighting a badass with level 90's, but in the end I just 6-0d him with level 64 Kilinklang since Liepard is such setup bait.

I have to agree with GSC Lance being pathetic.

I swept half of his team with an Ice Punch Ledian a good 10 levels lower than him.

I have to agree with GSC Lance being pathetic.

I swept half of his team with an Ice Punch Ledian a good 10 levels lower than him.
Dude, I'll one up you on that. I beat him with a Sludge Bomb ARIADOS at the same level as you were.

Speaking of disappointing battles. Caitlin in B2/W2. Here's what you do.

Either A) Get a Scrafty or

B) Use N's Zorua (evolved, obviously) and put a Psychic Weak 'mon in the sixth slot. You won't even get touched.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the real crime against Roxie is that there aren't any Poison types cool enough for her to use. When I saw that her ace was Whirlipede, a regular Pokemon from Burgh's batch in BW, mind you, I wanted to wake up and have it be some sort of cruel joke.

Has anyone mentioned Marlon yet? I sleepwalked through the entire team with Magnezone.

Colress was basically solo'd by Darmanitan also; when I saw he had both a Magnezone and a Magneton I was pretty confused...

Has anyone mentioned Marlon yet? I sleepwalked through the entire team with Magnezone.

Colress was basically solo'd by Darmanitan also; when I saw he had both a Magnezone and a Magneton I was pretty confused...
The magneton has an eviolite.

I think alder was pretty dissapointing. He was fairly tough, but his choice of pokemon was terrible. I admire him for being primarily a bug type trainer... but seriously? The only good pokemon on his team were volcarona and bouffalant.
Accelgor is fast and nothing else,
excavalier is killed by any fire move,
druddigun is... terrible,
and vaniluxe...

If I could fix his team, i would replace accelgor with scolopede, because a toxic spike lead would be brutal in-game,
I would replace his excavalier with durant, cause it is fast, and powerful,
His druddigun would be replaced with Hydrigen, because the champion almost always uses the psuto-legend, plus as proven by gensies, it is godly powerful,
And vanilluxe... I would replace with chandelure, because his team has a terrible fighting and fire weakness.

Oh, and did i mention his BW2 team is on par with ALL post game trainers?

The magneton has an eviolite.

I think alder was pretty dissapointing. He was fairly tough, but his choice of pokemon was terrible. I admire him for being primarily a bug type trainer... but seriously? The only good pokemon on his team were volcarona and bouffalant.
Accelgor is fast and nothing else,
excavalier is killed by any fire move,
druddigun is... terrible,
and vaniluxe...

If I could fix his team, i would replace accelgor with scolopede, because a toxic spike lead would be brutal in-game,
I would replace his excavalier with durant, cause it is fast, and powerful,
His druddigun would be replaced with Hydrigen, because the champion almost always uses the psuto-legend, plus as proven by gensies, it is godly powerful,
And vanilluxe... I would replace with chandelure, because his team has a terrible fighting and fire weakness.

Oh, and did i mention his BW2 team is on par with ALL post game trainers?
This, basically. I actually 6-0'd him with Quiver Dance Volcarona, just because Accelgor was that bad. I understand that QD Volc cheeses a lot of bosses, but I still thought he was a bit too easy. I think he should've had a team like he has for the PWT, or at least something less focused on Bugs. More like a "best of the BW Unova 'Dex" team, I guess.

By any chance, were you using Crobat or something? That might explain it.
i think it was probably a Keldeo or something :/ it's been quite a while since

honestly though alder just got hit by the sorting algorithm of evil and it made his team regress 10 levels :/ he basically stole the E4's pokemon for PWT anyway (chandelure, conkeldurr, reuniclus, krookodile)

Dppt Candice is pretty weak. You can practically solo her with a decent fire or fighting type. And her pokemon have terrible movesets ._.

Snover lvl 38
-Ice shard
-Ingrain
-Razor leaf
-Leer

Ice shard and razor leaf are piss weak STABs. Ingrain is pretty useless, and leer is just sad.

Snover lv 38
-Blizzard
-Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Energy Ball

At least you have strong STABs here. Ice shard for finishing pokemon off. Giga drain for pseudo recovery.

Sneasel lv 38
- Avalanche
- Slash
- Taunt
- Faint attack

Sneasel's best stat is speed, so giving it a minus priority move as its main STAB is perfectly logical!

Weavile lv 38
- X Scissor
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Brick break

Extra speed and attacking power, + a way better moveset that hits much harder.

Medicham lv 40
- Bulk Up
- Force Palm
- Detect
- Ice Punch

Putting aside the fact this thing isnt even ice type, Medicham's set is actually pretty decent, with Ice-Fighting coverage and a set up move.

Abomasnow lv 42
- Avalanche
- Wood hammer
- Swagger
- Grasswhistle

Swagger is too risky, and asswhistle misses 45% of the time. Wood hammer is excellent, and Avalanche aint bad either.

Abomasnow lv 42
- Wood Hammer
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Sheer Cold

Wood Hammer-Avalanche- Earthquake gives you three high powered attacking moves that have no resists. Whats not to like? Sheer cold for some rage inducing shenanigans.

I don't think RBY Blue was disappointing at all.. the sheer increase in levels you usually face him at made him murder for me to beat him at. True, I was but 9 years old when I got it and faced him, but he was absolutely murder for me to beat because of how far in front his levels were than mine, along with just having faced bloody Lance and his Dragon Pokémon. Alakazam was horrible to defend against too, bastard thing seemed to always know what to do on mine. Unless you had a huge insight into his team (which competitive play does for us all now) or had Pokémon at a higher level than his, it was an absolute struggle.

Having said that, it's so easy to look back now as a competitive player and see how ridiculous his team's moves were. But, at the time, without the internet or any focus on competitive play, Blue was an absolute bastard to try and beat; once you got Mewtwo though you just pissed it because of how ridiculously broken Mewtwo was on that game.

I'd say that Lance in Gen II was a bit of a disappointment, he was so much easier to handle than in Gen I where he was just a complete bastard to beat. I might be biased because I used a Jynx in my first run-through (I tend to use my first run-through as a base because after you've been through the experience, it's not as hard as you already know what to expect) and her Ice Punch tore the Dragons and Aerodactyl apart. But.. even then, the entire Elite Four was really low-levelled which ruined it for me, whilst I love those games with all my heart the Elite Four is the only real downer for me on them because at just Level 40 through to 50, it's so easy to beat them because the hypothetical drop in levels between what you usually have and what they've got is far smaller than in Gen I where I often hit Lv50 when I'd gotten to the Elite Four when the strongest Pokémon is at Lv65.. whilst I usually had Pokémon at ~Lv42-5 by the time I get to the Elite Four in Gen II..

Hm.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Im honestly going to have to say the initial battle with colress at the plasma frigate was pretty disappointing for me, other than the fact that hes a haxgod i defeated him quite easily when he stopped parahaxing all of my pokemon. His team was also pretty lame tbh, the only part i really liked about it was klinklang. As mentioned before, he had a magnezone and magneton on the same team, I would have loved to see him get a pokemon like zebstrika or manectric in that match over his magneton, or even get a sixth pokemon. There was also the fact that he decided to keep his metang unevolved even though it was 5 levels above the level where metang becomes a metagross, seeing colress have a metagross in the frigate match would have been great, tbh. I could have also seen colress using Kyurem himself, but maybe thats just me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)