Official NBA 2012-13 Season Thread

The Bucks pooped all over the Celtics. Out-rebounded and straight up beat up in the paint. You've got to feel pretty bad right now if you're a Celtics fan.
I always said they're an easy 6+ seed this year. Pretty nice team when Jennings, Monta and Illyasova play together

They certainly look terrible!
So did the Heat, who lost by 20 and let the Celtics score over a 100 on them.

BTW, Dwayne Wade is one to whine about "punk plays."

okay Lakers fans can officially rue the finals they are not going to win, or make, the Heat lost by 8 to the best team in the East besides them (Celtics) and then did not lose by 10 until their 14th game...the Lakers lost by 8 to a rebuilt team with an injured best player, by 10 at home to a team that rebuilt middle of last season, and lost by 10 at shared-home to a good but not exactly 2010-2011 Celtics level team

the Lakers fucking suck

the Lakers pace is the entire problem, NOT MIKE BROWN AND NOT DWIGHT HOWARD, I will explain more on this later
THE SKY IS FALLING.

Yeah dude, they lost by 10 to the Clippers, who as much as I despise are a good team. They are probably the deepest team in the entire league (Crawford, Bledsoe, Odom, Hill as your bench players? you should be) and they have Chris Paul who is the best point guard in the league. Dwight got in foul trouble early and didn't show up much, Gasol either, MWP was 1-9 but okay on his other side, and Steve Blake was our starting point guard. Kobe played extremely well and seemed like the only player who gave his full effort the entire game. Anyone who thought the Lakers were going to win tonight is delusional. Since when are the Clippers anything but a top four seed in the West? They've lost to the Trailblazers on the road for over 20 games.

Why do other teams get the "REBUILDING" pass but the Lakers? They added five players who used in the rotation and see a lot of minutes while one of their main bench players (Hill) only started seeing minutes during the playoffs.

And they are using a new offense that they've only been able to play as a team with for a grand total of three games, four if you want to count today without Nash.

"Their pace is the problem." No shit, everybody on the team knows that so why are you stating the obvious?

But okay dude dedicate all your time to talking shit about the Lakers, what a happy and full life you must have. I bet you'll get a rise out of someone responding to you pointing out the obvious, your existence has to be validated somehow.

Anyway, Harden was amazing tonight, enjoyed seeing the Knicks dominate the Heat, sucks about Anthony Davis, Iguoudala is off to a bad start, Boston too, Bobcats are undefeated, and OMFG LAKERZZZ ARE 0-3 THE SKY IS FALLING THEY SUCK THEY'LL NEVER MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS OR THE FINALS

CP3 is the man, however much I hate Donald Sterling.

And btw, it's cool if you hate the Lakers. W/e, everybody hates them and the Celtics and when your teams have the most championships in the entire league everybody does. But acting like their season is over or like they don't have a good chance at becoming one of the most dominant teams in the league because they are 0-3 in the beginning of the season is really stupid. Especially when you ignore obvious things like injuries, star players coming off injuries, new offense styles, relatively little time the team has been together, ect. Just don't point out the obvious because ESPN exists and does it better than you.

BUT DONT FORGET, BEGINNING OF THE SEASON DICTATES THE OUTCOME OF THE SEASON.
HARDEN MVP, DAMIAN LILLARD ROY, MCHALE COY, KNICKS ECFC, SPURS ECFC, KNICKS 2013 NBA CHAMPIONS

I just realized that people are only going to maybe say the Lakers are "REBUILDING" when Kobe is gone.

Last team that has made it to the finals 0-2? The '91 Bulls. (Yes, Michael lost some.)
Last team that has made it to the finals 0-3? The '78 Lakers.

And this isn't me implying that these situations are interchangeable, but that IT'S POSSIBLE because some people are thick when I draw comparisons to other teams.

hey Gabe before you triple post you might want to think "am I being a dumb boring sycophant" first instead

I was just looking at this stuff at random and accidentally discovered that the Lakers sucked the last two years for clear reasons

analyzed by pace: (I was too lazy to list what series everything but finals was, some were still conference championships obviously)
(also got lazier and lazier with formatting but whatever, all the results are accurate and I missed some 80s finals but I was way too lazy to do more than Lakers/Celtics at that point)
Heat: 2010-2011 - 20th lost finals, 2011-2012 - 16th won finals
Mavericks: 2005-2006 - 27th lost finals (refjob tho'), 2006-2007 - 28th, 2007-2008 - 24th, 2008-2009 - 16th, 2009-2010 - 17th, 2010-2011 - 18th won finals
Lakers: 2006-2007 - 8th, 2007-2008 - 6th lost finals, 2008-2009 - 5th won finals, 2009-2010 - 14th won finals [fell to 21st/20th after this and irrelevant, old Kobe or loss of a PG or something]
Celtics: 2007-2008 - 19th won finals, 2008-2009 18th, 2009-2010 22nd lost finals, 2010-2011 22nd, 2011-2012 21st
Heat: 2003-2004 - 23rd, 2004-2005 - 15th, 2005-2006 - 12th won finals (not really tho'), 2006-2007 25th, 2007-2008 22nd
Pistons: 2002-2003 - 29th lost conference championship, 2003-2004 24th won finals, 2004-2005 30th lost finals, 2005-2006 29th lost conference finals, 2006-2007 30th lost conference finals, 2007-2008 30th lost conference finals [or how to squander the best team in basketball]
Spurs: 1997-1998 23rd lose round 2, 1998-1999 19th won finals, 1999-2000 lose round 1 at 24th, 2000-2001 lose finals at 23rd, 2001-2002 lose round 2 at 19th, 2002-2003 win finals at 20th, 2003-2004 lose round 2 at 19th, 2004-2005 win finals at 23rd, 2005-2006 lose round 2 at 23rd, 2006-2007 win finals at 27th, 2007-2008 lose round 3 at 28th, 2009-2010 lose round 1 at 26th, 2009-2010 lose round 2 at 20th, 2010-2011 lose round 1 at 14th, 2011-2012 lose conference champoinship at 7th [just think these results are so funny they all needed to be there]
Lakers: 1997-1998 lose round 3 at 1st, 1998-1999 lose round 2 at 2nd, 1999-2000 win finals at 14th, 2000-2001 win finals at 14th, 2001-2002 win finals at 6th, 2002-2003 lose round 2 at 8th, 2003-2004 lose finals at 6th
Bulls: L round 2 Pistons 23rd, L finals to Pistons 23rd, L finals to Pistons 17th, win finals 19th, win finals 22nd, w finals 27th, jordan disappears, jordan comes back too late, 20th w finals, 18th w finals, 22nd w finals
Rockets: 19th no playoffs, 24th L round 2, 15th W finals no bull, 10th W finals no bull, 10th L round 2, 8th L round 3
Pistons: 4th L round 2, 5th L round 1, 13th L round 3, 14th L finals, 25th W finals, 26th W finals, 27th L round 3, 27th L round 1
Lakers: W finals at 8 4 9 10 11 getting way too lazy for this
Celtics: W finals at 16 15 16

Teams who are top 7-8 in pace usually need to fall below top 10 to win a finals (only teams with HoF talents have a chance of defying, and they still are usually playing too fast if they have not won a finals yet); teams who are too low in pace, particularly less than 22-23, usually need to rise above that pace to win a finals. Particularly offensive teams should be around 5-15 and defensive teams should be around 15-23 (this seems to be an easier place to get to general), also when teams got stuck in a slower pace than they were previously playing at it usually meant that the team was losing its desire to win anymore, or that stars were getting old but nothing was replacing them in the team to compensate, stuff like that. Obviously there is no absolute golden rule, but you can usually take a 2-3 year window and see if a team has already run its course, and the Lakers have. As long as it is "Kobe's team" they are not going to see a finals, and if Bryant would actually do that and Howard would actually even care to take charge well then call me surprised. If the Lakers play the 19th-20th fastest pace in the league again they should not make it out of round 2 of the playoffs.

For all the shit I have given the Grizzlies, their pace falling 10-->15-->18 by last season was fantastic for a team that should be defense first. If they can get down to about 20-24 this season while choking the life out of teams they should have a real shot at mattering. Clippers were a mess last season (27th), Nuggets were 2nd and 2nd a.k.a. irrelevant. Thunder probably need to slow down, they got out of control several times in the playoffs last season (6th pace). Spurs too. The Rockets have slowed down a little up to this season and have a fairly solid coach and front office situation.

This deserved its own line...Portland played the slowest pace in the league for three seasons 2008-2009 through 2010-2011 with Brandon fucking Roy and Aldridge on the same team!!. Basically the equivalent of keeping your toys in their shrink wrap. They lost three straight round 1s for a fucking reason.

Indiana was at the right place last season but they do not have the defensive talent to make it work. Chicago was at a great place in 2010-2011 and then Rose was injured and they ended at 28th. Heat were obviously at the right place, they are the only team that totally has a probable shot at winning with any pace they choose this season (I think faster, Lebron and Wade have their issues very well worked out at this point). The Knicks play stupidly fast, ruined Amare Stoudemire's life doing so, and are never going to win a god fucking damn thing unless they slow down from 2-5 to 12-15. Philly plays too slow, they need to cohere more, their defense is not consistent enough to play at the 23-24 pace they keep falling to. The Bucks played 25th fastest in 2010-2011 then 3rd fastest in 2011-2012, that shit is stupid given no coaching changes and just losing Bogut, and they need to find themselves and stop letting Brandon Jennings play like a moron.

tl;dr captkirby best analysizer

The 1974-1979 Lakers did not win a finals by the way, or even make one.

Gabe you are completely overreacting at this point, which is funny since you called me out for overreacting. You are embarrassing yourself, especially with the sky is falling line again. You are citing exceptions as a rule and acting like it makes something improbable probable. So the Lakers have a 1/60 chance to make a finals based on the Bulls according to you? Or if your other example actually existed and you just got the date wrong, then 1/30? And that number might be too high, since it does not account for the probability of any "good team" who started 0-2 or 0-3 to possibly make a finals who did not. Every team with a pulse has a 1/30 (at least 10 teams) let alone 1/60 chance (at least 15-17 teams) of making a finals before the start of a season

tl;dr Those who said the sky had fallen for the Lakers when they lost by large amounts to shitty team were right so far. Cautioning for realistic assessment is realistic. Frothing at the mouth about how wildly low possibilities prove some situation is possibly the same as some other situation are unrealistic and claiming fallacy as fact.

Also the 1991 Bulls lost by 8, 1, and 2. So just based on game performance the odds would be at least 1/5th of the Lakers pulling that off, but that is assuming a cohesive team (wait you mean they actually had all of their stars for multiple seasons??? wow!!) recently off of conference finals level performance, which is not the Lakers at all. So make it maybe 1/50th or 1/100th and you would be being accurate instead of specious again.

fuck yes, thanks for ensuring Sacramento at 0-2 can make it to the finals
Yeah dude totally same situation bc SAC has the same talent/experience LA does they have a good shot, you are intelligent and this is a witty comment

The 1974-1979 Lakers did not win a finals by the way, or even make one.
Well, my lack of caring to proving myself right in arguments over the internet is defeating me

long story short Capt. Kirby, if Kobe isnt worrying (Which, if you've read/heard his comments post-tonight and last game you'll see he doesn't) and Nash doesn't I don't see why I should worry because both of those guys know themselves and the game much better than I will ever and Kobe isnt shy about criticizing his coach or team when things are going bad. I mean, why do you insist on making this an issue? We'll know by March/June right? I realize the Lakers have issues, I dont think I've ever denied that, and yeah Heat are still the favorite to win.

Also bold prediction: The Knicks have a legit shot at making the finals and will at least make it to the ECF. Miami's issue is big men, and Knicks are filled with them plus they have guys who can hit outside the perimeter and guys who can get inside the paint. If/when Amare comes back and they can convince him to coming off the bench I think they've got a chance at at least making it to the ECF.

Btw dude you totally know the game better than Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash, you should congratulate yourself
relying on probability will take you far, because you know, numbers matter and there is such thing as absolute truth and math isnt all just theory

Good win by the Knicks. Something for New Yorkers to cheer for if only a little while after all the devastation from Sandy.

okay so this gabe response is: fuck your high probability, my infinitesimally low probability is definitely high probability because kobe and nash say it is average probability and they play basketball and you don't nah nah nah nah nah

sounds steeped in fucking realistic notions dude, keep on arguing with the shitty pejoratives they totally win the argument

okay so this gabe response is: fuck your high probability, my infinitesimally low probability is definitely high probability because kobe and nash say it is average probability and they play basketball and you don't nah nah nah nah nah

sounds steeped in fucking realistic notions dude, keep on arguing with the shitty pejoratives they totally win the argument
I don't care if they win the argument, I told you if you want to "win" it so bad you can it's a stupid argument over the internet on a sports thread in a subforum on a competitive pokemon battling website

SERIOUSLY if it means that much to you, by all means you won

what I was saying is that you're just some nerdy dude on the internet with google search and a lot of time and Kobe & Nash are perennial all-stars who have dedicated their lives to the game and have some of the highest basketball I.Q.s of the entire NBA and have won things and done things in basketball with their lives so

excuse me if I think your opinion on themselves is relatively worthless to them

I guess trusting the judgement of a five-time NBA champion and a 2-time MVP over a dude on the internet is just too far out there for some people

I'm an english major, using unnatural vocabulary (in your case, "big words) doesnt make you look anymore credible than I have already judged you nor does it make you look intelligent even though I know you think/hope otherwise

can you stop already

you won

you won

you won

existence validated

you won

btw probability wont save you & truth doesnt exist, take a fucking literature class or change your major in existentialism or modal logic or something because entry-level probability arguments were annoying in high school and they're annoying now

what would you know, you aint no Steve Nash
pity response because this says a lot about your desperation to be acknowledged and to be part of something, by attempting to integrate yourself in this perhaps Capt. Kirby will be your friend, one more friend on the internet

and yes that describes my argument perfectly, kudos to you, you intelligent person

Lakers 0-3.

TEAM TO BEAT?

I wish you guys would accept me as the physic. Another correct prediction by me. :o

The Mavericks dropped their first four then won 68 games that year... Talk about the Lakers being done when were 20-30 games into the season not 3

pejorative is not a "big word", it is what you have been frequently resorting to to make up for your logically inadequate assumptions

It's so funny how pathetic Gabe lowers himself when he tries and personally insult people in his arguments.

But okay dude dedicate all your time to talking shit about the Lakers, what a happy and full life you must have. I bet you'll get a rise out of someone responding to you pointing out the obvious, your existence has to be validated somehow.
what I was saying is that you're just some nerdy dude on the internet with google search and a lot of time and Kobe & Nash are perennial all-stars who have dedicated their lives to the game and have some of the highest basketball I.Q.s of the entire NBA and have won things and done things in basketball with their lives so
What a pathetic human being you are. <---Whoa I just pulled a Gabe on Gabe!

lol I never even noticed, clearly focusing on the demise of a recent championship team/wannabe super team is pathetic and moronic, I discussed the pace being right or wrong for every recently good team in the league because I only care about the Lakers!!!!

Me spending a little energy being a sports fan: wrong. Bryant and Nash dedicating their lives to playing a game: noble, amazing, unbelievably meaningful.

I am a big sports fan, and while it is okay for non-sports fans to find sports fans pathetic, finding other sports fans pathetic for how much of a fan they are is pretty weird.

It's so funny how pathetic Gabe lowers himself when he tries and personally insult people in his arguments.

What a pathetic human being you are. <---Whoa I just pulled a Gabe on Gabe!
Weird how when people want to have the moral high ground they forget how many times they've done the exact thing they're condemning, but hahahaha human beings doing human things

Btw there is a difference between insulting someone and describing them for what they are, I don't think I was insulting him it's reasonable to think that someone who goes through great lengths to attempt to make others feel bad (Because let's face it, Capt. Kirby's aim was to make Laker fans feel hopeless, and in general I've observed he's like this in other sports threads) must feel at least a little miserable about themselves, as most people whose existence centers around making other people feel bad about themselves does

and it's right, right? Capt. Kirby is a nerdy guy on the internet and those players are world-renowned athletes

also I dont think I've come to this forum looking to fight as he does, and both of you continually looking to get a rise out of people just makes you more transparent so please stop being so damn obvious, you're young but I dont know what his excuse is

So if I have disdain for someone because they repeatedly making it their goal to make other people feel like shit (because that does seem to be the case with him) it's in my right to feel that way

people only get offended by what is true, if I called him a (BAN ME PLEASE) conservative spic neither of you would bat an eye

so please, get off my sack already and come back when you lose your adolescent notions of nobility because neither of you are exempt from the practice of personally insulting people

lol I never even noticed, clearly focusing on the demise of a recent championship team/wannabe super team is pathetic and moronic, I discussed the pace being right or wrong for every recently good team in the league because I only care about the Lakers!!!!

Me spending a little energy being a sports fan: wrong. Bryant and Nash dedicating their lives to playing a game: noble, amazing, unbelievably meaningful.

I am a big sports fan, and while it is okay for non-sports fans to find sports fans pathetic, finding other sports fans pathetic for how much of a fan they are is pretty weird.
How much of a fan they are

I dont think the word "fan" translates to someone who spends time that could otherwise be used productively dispensed to spout vitriol on the internet to people that dont matter

and yes, accomplishing yourself in a sport that most fail at playing professionally is all that

I am done here.

Your entire rant this time relies on the notion that someone who is not even particularly my friend "only responded because something was true", since after all I never even bothered dealing with the personal attacks in the first place. All you are using in this case is personal attacks that cannot even be close to proven (I can argue that everyone on smogon who has met me in real life knows I am not "miserable" in any way, and this is true, but I cannot prove that to you since I have not met you). Every single personal attack you use is the sort that is not only completely meaningless even if it were true, but the sort that could be easily turned back on you because they are so meaningless and easy to use.

You accuse me of spouting vitriol when you have been far more vitriolic, I mean this last post of yours was by far the most out of control yet. All I have done, as always, is explore a situation in substance. Anyone who takes case studies or shit talking (the latter of which was not even involved here) and becomes miserable over it is an idiot, I have never tried to make anybody miserable. Every team has periods of failure and success, and both are fun to dissect. That you do not have fun dissecting it and continue to think that having fun dissecting it makes someone a "pathetic no-life nerd" just means you are a hypocrite - you think being a fan your way is okay, but not that being a fan some other way is okay.

I really do not understand why you keep spouting blatantly false logic, I mean throwing another logical fallacy on your first logical fallacy is fine but it just makes you more ridiculous. Someone who is not an all star athlete can have a better opinion than someone who is. We just watched Michael Jordan turn the Bobcats from a fringe playoff team to the worst team in basketball history. Famous players have succeeded or failed badly as coaches. Getting a shot off is not the same as knowing why a choice is optimal or not, and since we have spent years seeing Bryant pick the worst spots possible we know he is probably really bad at analysis. Nash could probably be a pretty good coach or commentator though.

tl;dr stop playing at armchair psychologist, stop equating one thing as true just because it is sometimes true (especially if extremely rarely), and post something pertinent instead of pejorative next time, you might make some valid points then

Weird how when people want to have the moral high ground they forget how many times they've done the exact thing they're condemning, but hahahaha human beings doing human things

Btw there is a difference between insulting someone and describing them for what they are, I don't think I was insulting him it's reasonable to think that someone who goes through great lengths to attempt to make others feel bad (Because let's face it, Capt. Kirby's aim was to make Laker fans feel hopeless, and in general I've observed he's like this in other sports threads) must feel at least a little miserable about themselves, as most people whose existence centers around making other people feel bad about themselves does

and it's right, right? Capt. Kirby is a nerdy guy on the internet and those players are world-renowned athletes

also I dont think I've come to this forum looking to fight as he does, and both of you continually looking to get a rise out of people just makes you more transparent so please stop being so damn obvious, you're young but I dont know what his excuse is

So if I have disdain for someone because they repeatedly making it their goal to make other people feel like shit (because that does seem to be the case with him) it's in my right to feel that way

people only get offended by what is true, if I called him a (BAN ME PLEASE) conservative spic neither of you would bat an eye

so please, get off my sack already and come back when you lose your adolescent notions of nobility because neither of you are exempt from the practice of personally insulting people
If you can find the last time I got out of hand in an argument on here, please show it to me. And then look at the date and notice it was months ago. Actually, it was probably earlier in this thread when you and I got into a scuffle. Funny how everyone in this thread hates you.

I used to freak out at people on this forum when I was more of a troll, but now I'm a lot more relaxed and I think people are starting to notice that. Retribution, Gabe. It is possible.

I think your attempts to belittle Capt. Kirby are absolutely hysterical. For starters, I would bet that most people on this forum do not act in a way that they really are. My personality on Smogon is nothing like my personality in real life. Sending such harsh judgments regarding someone's character on here is absolutely pitiful and you should be ashamed of yourself for thinking your hunch has any merit whatsoever. All Capt. Kirby ever does is make brutally honest posts regarding the fate of a team and he often cites statistical facts. The only time he ever gets into arguments like this is when people get pissed off at the statements he's making, which is what you did. If anyone in this thread is being childish and pathetic, it's without a doubt you. What, are you 11 years old? It's really funny how you keep trying to use the fact that I'm 18 years old against me. Oh no, I'm a legal adult. I'm so young and naive.

Using a word as belittling and with as negative a connotation as "nerdy" in association with anyone on this forum is fucking retarded and I don't even want to waste my time addressing how much of an idiot you are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)