Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

The monkeys are there to fix the tragedy that was yellow's first gym.
Just a question, but what do you mean by this? Yellow had its very own monkey made for the sole purpose of beating the first gym: Mankey was relocated to Routes 3, 4, and 22 for the sole purpose of having something that can beat Brock without overleveling.

Just a question, but what do you mean by this? Yellow had its very own monkey made for the sole purpose of beating the first gym: Mankey was relocated to Routes 3, 4, and 22 for the sole purpose of having something that can beat Brock without overleveling.
Route 4 isn't available at that time. But it was moved to 3 and 22. Even still you wouldn't naturally know about it without outside information. As the chances of encountering the monkey are pretty low.
There is also a low chance of anything else that you get doing even neutral damage to Brock's Pokémon.

That's the difference in the new monkey, you are literally given it. And since this new gym only has real threat, and you can do something to it even with your starter, it's not as needed.

Mankey has a 15% chance of appearing on 3 and 20% on 22. It's not that rare. The main reason you'd miss it is if you played RBG beforehand and didn't spend much time running around in the grass and tried to muscle past Brock without level grinding.

I don't get the big Lvl 77 Champions movesets. You'd think by now, Nintendo would know they have experienced customers, and try to add a little challenge at the end. I would love to see 6 lvl~95 mons with perfect IVs, EV trained and with competitive movesets. Like a Nasty Plot Luke, SD Chomp, Coil Eelektross, QuiverDance but NOT Overheat Volcarona, etc....

Instead we get non-EV trained mons with random moves (seriously, give Garchomp a real dragon move.....at least Drake knew he learn Outrage)

I don't get the big Lvl 77 Champions movesets. You'd think by now, Nintendo would know they have experienced customers, and try to add a little challenge at the end. I would love to see 6 lvl~95 mons with perfect IVs, EV trained and with competitive movesets. Like a Nasty Plot Luke, SD Chomp, Coil Eelektross, QuiverDance but NOT Overheat Volcarona, etc....

Instead we get non-EV trained mons with random moves (seriously, give Garchomp a real dragon move.....at least Drake knew he learn Outrage)
Drake had a Garchomp?

A few weeks ago, I decided to do the second round of the E4, and I only had level 50s and one level 70 Volcarona that I had just caught. I only used two Hyper Potions the entire time and swept the entire E4 with just Volcarona using a moveset of Quiver Dance / Bug Buzz / Flamethrower / Psychic. Very, very, OP in game...

Drake had a Garchomp?
He meant Lance.

On an unrelated note that Chomp was an absolute pain to beat. I had to have my Shedinja stall it and pray that it smacked itself in confusion thanks to LOL +6 ATTACK. Thankfully though, Lance was retarded enough to have his remaining mons(Altaria and prolly Dragonite) not have moves that hit Sheddy.

He meant Lance.

On an unrelated note that Chomp was an absolute pain to beat. I had to have my Shedinja stall it and pray that it smacked itself in confusion thanks to LOL +6 ATTACK. Thankfully though, Lance was retarded enough to have his remaining mons(Altaria and prolly Dragonite) not have moves that hit Sheddy.
Really? I always destroy his team with my Mamoswine. Ice Shard for the OHKO on Dragon/Flying ones, Rock Slide for Zard/Dos. As a matter of fact, Maman (my mamoswine) sweeps the entire Elite Four/Red...

So, onto my piece of trivia:

Charizard, Infernape and Typhlosion share the same BST of 534. Blaziken's is 530, and Emboar is 528. Emboar actually has the same BST as the final evolutions of the other Unovan starters, Samurott and Serperior.

Charizard and Typhlosion share the exact same base stats.

hence they share BST.

Venusaur and Meganium simply swapped Defense and SpA. Blastoise's HP, Attack, Sp.Atk and Sp.Def are Feraligatr's Sp.A, Sp.D, HP and Attack respectively.

Blastoise, I am disappoint. For a giant turtle you are less bulkier physically to a freaking CROCODILE.

Yeah, but would Feraligatr Hydro Pump Johnny if he were your dad? NO.

Finally got round to Transferring all my 4th gen stuff across to Black. Took. Fucking. Forever.

How did you get past Breloom-Sawk?
Breloom: He had Psychic
Sawk: Almost certainly Stone Miss.

Meh, IMO, the hardest fights in the game are Elesa [You can't hit her Emolgas with a Super Effective STAB, as the two Rock types at this point both get destroyed by Volt Switch, Sturdy lets you get one hit in though], and, N, only if you play like a man and ignore the Uber thrown in your face. [Otherwise, it's Gehetis]

Seriously, I had little trouble with Gehetis. That said, I had a Samuwott and Revenge'd Hydregion's face in.

That said... I swept N by Acupressureing almost everything to +6 on a Maractus [Stupid Sp.Attk took forever to get...], in the face of his Carracosta. Water Absorb made half it's movepool useless, and my Maracrus was Bold with a 31 Defense IV...

Also, I'm of the opinion that the B/W starters are even worse than the Jhoto ones. Serperior is replaced by Petilil after the 2nd Gym [Petilil outclasses Snivy since the moment you get it... then Quiver Dance Lilligant kills everything]. Darumakka is a million times better than Emboar, and Samuwott just fails, but is useable purely because of the lack of B/W water types.

B/W is the only game where I replace my starter. Even in Jhoto I don't. If only because Jhoto is so underleveled and is so annoying to grind in, and half of the Jhoto dex is trash anyway. [Some of it's awesome, like Tyranitar...]

Breloom: He had Psychic
Sawk: Almost certainly Stone Miss.

Meh, IMO, the hardest fights in the game are Elesa [You can't hit her Emolgas with a Super Effective STAB, as the two Rock types at this point both get destroyed by Volt Switch, Sturdy lets you get one hit in though], and, N, only if you play like a man and ignore the Uber thrown in your face. [Otherwise, it's Gehetis]

Seriously, I had little trouble with Gehetis. That said, I had a Samuwott and Revenge'd Hydregion's face in.

That said... I swept N by Acupressureing almost everything to +6 on a Maractus [Stupid Sp.Attk took forever to get...], in the face of his Carracosta. Water Absorb made half it's movepool useless, and my Maracrus was Bold with a 31 Defense IV...

Also, I'm of the opinion that the B/W starters are even worse than the Jhoto ones. Serperior is replaced by Petilil after the 2nd Gym [Petilil outclasses Snivy since the moment you get it... then Quiver Dance Lilligant kills everything]. Darumakka is a million times better than Emboar, and Samuwott just fails, but is useable purely because of the lack of B/W water types.

B/W is the only game where I replace my starter. Even in Jhoto I don't. If only because Jhoto is so underleveled and is so annoying to grind in, and half of the Jhoto dex is trash anyway. [Some of it's awesome, like Tyranitar...]
Palpitoad vs. Elesa's Emolga x2
Darmanitan vs. Elesa's Zebstrika

Elesa killed my Roggenrola after it used Stealth Rock. But Palpitoad did its job of Supersonic and Bubblebeams. Darmanitan just Fire Punch'd.
My toughest fight was against Kyurem.

Agreeing with the power of Samurott. Most i got from it was from flinching + Aqua Jet OR Razor Shell + Aqua Jet. Was bulky, but replaced it with Basculin once i found an Adaptability. Soak is fun.

Gah, that Hydreigon was a prick for me the first time I played through this, because I basically soloed the game with Emboar, which kept getting KOd by Surf.

I understand the dislike for Unova starters, but I personally got over it.

Samurott is bulkier than Basculin, which allows it take even Super-Effective hits. Plus, Basculin's coverage mid- to late-game is kinda stinky. I was actually wanting to use one during my Snivy playthrough at some point, but ultimately went with Simipour because that monkey fills a similar role while also providing better coverage with slightly more options (Work Up). So, in the end, if you absolutely wanted to replace Oshawott, you might as well just spend the extra time in Pinwheel Forest to find a Panpour or something, although I'd recommend sticking with the otter because of the natural bulk and overall coverage you'll get mid-game and beyond. I like Basculin, though. He's a cool guy, etc.

Serperior is still better than most other Grass-types you can get, especially Lilligant. See, Petilil requires an Evolutionary Stone that isn't directly handed to you before your third Gym Badge and then will need a Heart Scale if you level it beyond Lv28. And for what? A Pokemon with less overall stats than the Starter and less coverage. Despite Snivy's Coil coming a little later, it's at the same level it evolves into the final stage (Lv36 on Servine) and is just as helpful given the role Serperior will play (Defensive and supportive). During my Snivy run, I was very close to replacing the sucker but I stuck with him and it paid off.

I do have mixed feelings about Emboar. On one hand, Fire/Fight is getting tired. I wish he was something different. On the other hand, he played very well during my Tepig playthrough. I took him as he was, a fairly well built double-type with great coverage. The thing was able to plow through a lot of trainers mid-game and I was consistently impressed with . Granted, he plays similarly to Darmanitan (whom of which I also really like), but the Fighting-type offers more defensive play by adding some resistances (Dark resist and Rock neutrality, especially) that helped out in a few Gyms and in the E4. In the end, I see him as a Fighting-type starter with a 75BP Flame Charge, which isn't bad in the slightest.

See, the starters take a little longer to pay off but, by the time you hit the 5th or 6th Gym, they begin to grow into their fullest potential which is better than most replacements. I'm not trying to convince anyone to like them, but to respect them for what they are.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Serperior is still better than most other Grass-types you can get, especially Lilligant. See, Petilil requires an Evolutionary Stone that isn't directly handed to you before your third Gym Badge and then will need a Heart Scale if you level it beyond Lv28. And for what? A Pokemon with less overall stats than the Starter and less coverage. Despite Snivy's Coil coming a little later, it's at the same level it evolves into the final stage (Lv36 on Servine) and is just as helpful given the role Serperior will play (Defensive and supportive). During my Snivy run, I was very close to replacing the sucker but I stuck with him and it paid off.
An NPC gives you the Sun Stone in Nimbasa, and you shouldn't be using Grass Pokemon against the third Gym anyway unless you like being roflstomped.

An NPC gives you the Sun Stone in Nimbasa, and you shouldn't be using Grass Pokemon against the third Gym anyway unless you like being roflstomped.
Sorry, I didn't elaborate on those ideas. I was attempting to say that Lilligant isn't worth waiting so long to get the Stone, while also attempting to say that the Monkeys are worth using the Stones because you get them earlier (before your third Gym). See, I was using the third Gym Badge as a unit of measurment, not saying you'd use the Pokemon in the Gym. Sorry, it came out all wrong lol.

I'll try to elaborate a little better on my stance, though.

Lilligant is better than Servine.
Serperior is better than Lilligant.

This makes Lilligant better earlier on but Serperior better in the late-game. But since the Gyms are basically anti-Grass mid-game, Lilligant's marginally higher SpAtk is near meaningless in comparison to Serperior's greatly improved bulk and speed for the late-game.

Well, the whole God damn game is anti-grass, so maybe it's all moot.

breh

強いだね
bulk doesn't matter as much as offence.

also, 75 base attack is laughable compared to 110 base Special Attack. that's not a marginal difference.

Serperior is far worse than lilligant.

Also Quiver Dance+Petal Dance >>>>> Coil+Leaf Blade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)