1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon Conquest

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Firestorm, Dec 16, 2011.

1. waterwarrior

waterwarrior

Yea, this pretty much sums it up.

Looks really cool, but... Where the hell did this bucking come from?
  2. waterise

waterise

3. Saboros

Saboros

I think I'm excited? o.O
  4. Outlaw

Outlaw

It's like my childhood is dying piece by piece. If there is anything I hate more than motion controls, it's turn based tactics games.
  5. FlareBlitz

FlareBlitz This was never a story that would have a happy end
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I guess we're skipping over the fact that Pokemon itself is a turn-based tactical RPG.
  6. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOP

QFT

I really hope this is well executed (not "HEY GUYS LET'S JUST SLAP OUR LABEL ON A SHITTY GAME AND CALL IT GOLD"); I want to be able to buy this.

also wtf ds? really? the 3DS has good games now, gamefreak, people are actually buying consoles now; you shouldn't have to worry. Even if the 3D is shittily pulled off, I would still appreciate the nicer graphics.
  7. Age of Kings

Age of Kings

You are most correct good sir. Anyone who doesn't think that Mewtwo with samurais oozes of pure awesomeness must lead a most depressing life.
  8. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

linking to tvtropes should result in an infraction because I honestly just wasted an hour on that website
  9. Jcpdragonx

Jcpdragonx

watch the dick heads release this only in japan
  10. Iggdrasil

Iggdrasil

11. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Aside from a handful of titles, every Pokemon game has seen release in the west. There's a high chance we'll get this.
  12. TEA_DEMON

TEA_DEMON

fuck i am so into this. finally a ds game that i will buy without hesitation!
  13. Eiganjo

Eiganjo So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

Strategy RPG yay, the more the merrier :)
  14. jumpluff

jumpluff *red Admiral
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yep.

Strategy RPGs are great. Actually, I'm sort of scared this will be too easy and watered-down, because of the audience. The most jarring thing for me about it is the clash of settings (Pokémon and uhh.. feudal Japan?). But this has a lot of potential. Give it a chance, everyone! It's a new way to experience Pokémon and it's really not gimmicky except for the crossover aspect, which does make me a bit wary. I say it's not gimmicky because tactical RPGs are an old, diverse, and well-explored genre; there's something out there setting-wise for everyone who loves strategy. And considering a lot of us have played competitive Pokémon at some point, it's not a stretch to translate one form of turn-based tactics to another, isometric form. We have a lot of weird spinoffs anyway: Pokémon Snap, anyone?

lol, well, 'why not' at this stage?

Also, I have to draw parallels to the Shin Megami Tensei series, where you summon demons to fight for you. SMT has a lot of spinoff series and I've only played Devil Survivor so far, which is a grid-based tactics RPG as well, but I'm sort of seeing this game be like Devil Survivor. I don't think the trainers fight in this one though unlike SMT:DS, but I could be wrong...?
  15. Thorns

Thorns

just tell me what to buy and i'll buy it
  16. Lucalibur

Lucalibur

The moment i regret not fixing my broken DS sooner. I will probably get this game for i am a fan of that type of game. it just seems a bit weird though...i mean, i honestly dind't see such a crossover coming at all, but i wont complain because i have seen more weird crap that was still fun to play.

Still waiting for that DigimonXPokemon Crossover to troll haters.
  17. Outlaw

Outlaw

You know what I mean, games like FE and FF Tactics where you move several freaking squares at a time to get close enough to attack a single enemy and doing this with more than one character.

I simply do not like that setup, not one bit.
  18. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

[​IMG]hi

I have never been even slightly interested in wasting even a moment of my time playing any non core pokemon game. If it doesn't have the complex IVs/EVs/Nature/Movepool/etc it does not interest me. I am very interested in this however. Fire Emblem is a great series for its own reasons.

I bet JRank is having an orgasm right now.
  19. Midnight Show

Midnight Show

Although I've never enjoyed SRPGs, and I haven't played much of Fire Emblem or Nobunaga's Ambition, I'm excited about this insofar as it's a new way to enjoy Pokemon, as Jumpluff said. After all, the main Pokemon titles often mention how Pokemon and humanity have been tied throughout history, so here's a playable example of that. Pokemon is generally assumed to exist in a sort of parallel dimension, but I'm willing to overlook that and enjoy the feudal Japanese setting! :P

I've always wanted some sort of Pokemon war game along the lines of the Dynasty Warriors Empires games--a sort of real-time, strategic buttonmasher, if that makes any sense--in which you must plan and organize forces, but combat isn't slow, turn-based, or confined to grids.

Again, I have limited experience with Nobunaga, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I will probably buy this game. It looks like it has a lot of potential and like every has said, samurai are cool!
  20. bearsfan092

bearsfan092

It's got Jigglypuff. I pretty much have to buy this game now.

I really have no idea how to react to this news. This is definitely going to be a game where I take the "wait and see" approach.
  21. coolbiz

coolbiz

Its all so clear now. Also this better have Wi-Fi, its pokemon :/
  22. Fawfulmk-II

Fawfulmk-II

spoiler tags betray me!

I wish to see Bisharp in this.
  23. Forte.EXE

Forte.EXE

Pawniard and Bisharp better be in this. At the very least, I want Pawniard.
  24. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Doubles Co-Lead

Anyone going "Pokemon + Feudalism lolwat?" watch Movie 12. It sucks pretty major pelota but it explains the phenomenon
  25. Tan

Tan

Eevee as your starter Pokemon? I'm in.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)