1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manaphy

Manaphy

Yeah but none of those are one 3DS console connecting to a DS console, which is what they'd ideally want to do. I suppose it might be possible to have an app on the 3DS where it takes your pokemon from the DS game and stores it on board the app, though I'm not entirely sure.
  2. Ericcc

Ericcc

There will of course be a way to transfer Pokemon over from DS. Yeah they don't know how yet, but they're coming up with a way. Speculation suspecting otherwise isn't necessary
  3. Kitten Milk

Kitten Milk [22:59:31] <KittenUU> 241 of which are fellacious
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Between War Cry and the previous move we saw that lowered Special Attack, as well as Parting Shot (assuming that War Cry and Moonblast do damage), it seems like these moves could affect the metagames in a way alternate to the power jump of 5th gen. Perhaps GameFreak and Nintendo are trying to reverse it? Just a thought.

It's also possible that the new moves could become just as obselete as snarl, but I've got high hopes.
  4. GTS

GTS

i didn't mean 1/5 chance to be shiny, just that with 5 pokemon, each of them all could potentially be shiny, therefore more likely or more efficient.

but yeah, you could be right, maybe just the leader would have the chance to be shiny.
  5. Houndoomsday

Houndoomsday

6. clapyourhands

clapyourhands

The new flower-fairy Pokemon gives me a Greek nymph vibe, anyone else feel that too?
  7. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf

8. Dia

Dia

According to IGN, there WILL be air battles, so...
  9. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

That post was made before we saw air battles (& the bug leader)
  10. Bromar

Bromar

Now that I think about it, what are the possibilities that the new Mewtwo form is Psychic/Fairy? Or has it been confirmed it keeps its original type?
  11. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

here are the things confirmed about Mewtwo's new forme:
    -It's Mewtwo's new forme

THAT'S IT
    and sadly it's probably not in this corocoro so just gotta hope for a smash reveal between now and the movie I guess
  12. TheCanadianWifier

TheCanadianWifier mfw people tell me how much they love Blank Space
    is a Pre-Contributor

How is water/poison a bad type, at all? The two water poisons we have access to right now [tenta and qwilfish] are both excellent pokemon. A bulky water immune to toxic AND fighting? Give me more!
  13. Flareon

Flareon

I think he was excited at the possibility of a unique typing.
  14. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

Ok a bit late to the party but...

WELP looks like Fairy type is a thing after all. I ain't going to whine about it (as long as it's implemented properly it shouldn't be an issue), though I do regret them calling it fairy. While I don't personally mind, the fact is that a lot of shallow people are going to be going "OMG FAIRIES POKEMON IS SO BAD AND GAY NOW" just because fairies come with a feminine twist in modern western culture. There is of course, a lot more to the Fae in mythology than that but most of the people who play Pokemon aren't going to know or give a shit about that. Unfortunately.

As for the rest of the stuff, it all looks fine to me. Some of the Pokemon are eh, others are awesome (Noivern looks badass!) but none of them are Vanillish level of terrible or anything. Some new gimmicky battle styles is no surprise, seeing as they've put that sort of stuff in pretty regularly. This Poke-Amie thing has potential to be really annoying if you need to do it in order to maximize the potential of your Pokemon though. Of course since all my battling is on simulators it probably won't matter to me much, but I feel for the wi-fi people that'll have to add an extra step to their training regiment.

Oh, and a word of caution on those proposing old Pokemon to be retroactively made fairy type... I strongly suspect that the number of Pokemon that are going to be retyped will NOT be enormous, certainly nothing on the scale of some of the speculation I've seen. That being said there are many, many Pokemon that could POTENTIALLY be made fairy type retroactively. This means we have a lot of candidates, but you can be certain only a fraction of those will get retyped (along with a few we never saw coming I'm sure). So keep that in mind when suggesting that every cute/elegant Pokemon in existence is going to get a fairy type change :P

As for the competitive impact of fairy types, a lot of that depends on information we don't have yet. Simply being super-effective against dragons isn't a big enough deal alone to make it competitively viable; as people have pointed out without the stats and/or resistances and immunities to back it up they'll have little impact on the prevalence of dragons. It all depends on a number of factors, such as what other type interactions fairy has, what Pokemon get the typing, and the power and availability of fairy type moves both to them and to other Pokemon (if it ends with dozens of non-fairy type Pokemon getting it, and if Fairy turns out to suck defensively or something then you might well just see fairy type moves and not Pokemon, like you do with the Ice type).

So there's my two cents.
  15. Anarky

Anarky

16. dinodino56

dinodino56

I think with Fairy types Dragon types finally gets something that can wall them all day long, making different playstyles more viable.
  17. Squishyfrog

Squishyfrog

Minor nitpick, but resist Fighting, not immune. I assume that was a mistype lol.
  18. Manaphy

Manaphy

With the rumors going around so far (Pokebeach's hasn't been disproved yet and it's getting more evidence too) it looks like that Fairy will be immune to Dragon, which would significantly weaken Dragon-type STAB. But the rumors also suggest that Dragon will be it's only resistance, so Fairy looks like a more effective secondary typing.

This is all based in the Pokebeach rumor but we know for a fact that Fairy was made to check the power of Dragons (as said in the round table) so I think it's pretty safe to say that some form of resistance will be there. As for actual Pokemon goes we don't know a lot yeah, but hey at least we know that we'll have a Water/Fairy Azumarill.

Why do people not like Vanillish? I thought it looked fine.
  19. b2j135

b2j135

So...what happens when we breed them? Do we gotta go flower picking?
  20. Shiruba

Shiruba

just like we slaughter marowak when breeding cubone i think
  21. Better Call Stall

Better Call Stall

Maybe the color of the flower depends on what biom the egg is hatched in.
  22. Dia

Dia

Please note that while PokeBeach's source says riding only works on Gogoat, IGN says you can ride a variety of different pokemon.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-pokemon-x-y-details-revealed
    So PokeBeach is pretty much disproved (in my opinion at least).
  23. Phadunk

Phadunk

Lol oh my god. Brilliant.

That's enough new Pokemon reveals for me. Time to wait and be oblivious until October.

Every gen I try to stay out of the info to go back to the naive Blue/Red days but I always fail and plan my team ahead of time, etc.
  24. Better Call Stall

Better Call Stall

25. Darknesscrusher

Darknesscrusher

WAAAAAAAIT, didn't they already provide news on the typing of Sylveon and what it was strong against?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)