Salamence - The Face of The Next Suspect, or Merely OU's Strongest Dragon?

Salamence as a Suspect?

• Yes - Offensive Characteristic

Votes: 223 29.7%
  • Yes - Defensive Characteristic

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Yes - Support Characteristic

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • No - It Fits No Characteristic

Votes: 414 55.2%
  • I'm Not Sure

Votes: 80 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To those saying how Mence's two big sets are fairly equal in use, that isn't the point. If one of those sets makes Mence uber it doesn't matter if everyone is using it or nobody is.

Its just like how not many people used Wobbuffet and it got declared uber anyway. Usage does not always indicate something is good/bad.

To those saying how Mence's two big sets are fairly equal in use, that isn't the point. If one of those sets makes Mence uber it doesn't matter if everyone is using it or nobody is.

Its just like how not many people used Wobbuffet and it got declared uber anyway. Usage does not always indicate something is good/bad.

The point being made by the people saying that their usage is fairly equal is that fighting Salamence is a coin flip, it could be either set, and a wrong guess means a hole just got blown in your team.

The usage statistics of the two sets wouldn't be relevant if the sets didn't cover each other almost entirely.

@TSP: As has been explained to death in the thread, a pokemon isn't judged on the basis of one set, it is the entire picture that is relevant, and that includes multiple sets and their interactions.

Salamence is definitely powerful enough to be a suspect, with excellent stats and wide movepool, but if salamence DOES get banished to the uber realm, I'll feel sorry for it. Really, Salamence is nearly too powerful for the OU, but it's not strong enough to compete in uber, especially with rayquaza there. It will face the same fate as dragonite (which will be happy once mence is gone)

The performance of mence in UBERS should not affect the outcome of this problem as the only thing it matters is its performance in the OU environment. But I do agree that to me, it seems as though Salamence has great stats and movepool...enough to bring incredibly unpredictability and raw power into the fields. However, it seems to me that it is just not quite there...especially with SR weakness.

oh yeah, stealth rock
the bane of all mences, and not to forget the STAB BP from scizor that follows. But really though, how will the metagame adapt to the lack of salamence?

Uber tiering and metagame is irrelevant, as is the metagame without Salamence. The question comes down to, "Is Salamence too powerful for OU?" and it is not "Can Salamence compete in Ubers?" Also, suspect is for those suspcted to be Uber, so if Mence becomes suspect, it will because enough people think it could be Uber, not because they think its very powerful, but not Uber.

Oh, and
Rising Dusk said:
You're not listening, though. The point isn't that "Oh God my Salamence check is dead" it's that your Salamence check has a high probability of not even checking the type of Salamence that you're up against. Your Scizor is great against Mence once he gets in, but if he walks into a Fire Blast, he's toasty. What's worse is that almost all Mence carry Fire Blast, and if you have Scizor on your team, you're likely revealing it early on. He'll know about it. You run a serious risk by sending him in, one that in many cases will get you killed at no expense to Salamence. (That is the Offensive Characteristic, by the way)
The Offensive Characteristic is through most of a team, if not all. So what if it gets one KO? I switch Scizor in then and revenge it, when a KO is possible. In any case, that sort of is the definition of a check: it can switch in some of the time and force out the opponent, or it can force it out by threat of a revenge KO. As for Scizor: he can do heavy damage to almost any team if played half-decently, so including a Salamence check that can swich around a little is not a blow to the team. Anyway, isn't leftovers not very common on Salamence? So woudn't those sets be mostly irrelevant? Thus, Scizor can revenge it easily or take a bite out of the next Pokemon, and another by forcing Mence to switch. Bullet Punch bypassed DD, so with LO + Sandstorm + SR, Mence is guaranteed to have a MAXIMUM of two KOs if it stays in. Add to that switching around, and Mence may get up to three with hard work. So what if Mence can sweep most of a team if played right? If it takes a lot of effort, which it would seem to, then I could say Gyarados or Lucario or Tyranitar are in the same boat, having used all of them to destroy at least half a team on occasion.

I completely understand that the variety and the fact that it could be Mixmence of DDmence is a big part of why Mence is so scary, mispredicting can mean death.

My point was usage shouldn't be indicative of uber status (ie Wobbuffet) but on second though it seems silly to suggest that Mence could be deemed ou/suspect/uber without taking his actual performance in the metagame into account. I'll eat my words on that one, or at least some of them.

Aura Guardian said:
The Offensive Characteristic is through most of a team, if not all.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, Salamence has 3 other moves besides Fire Blast.
Aura Guardian said:
In any case, that sort of is the definition of a check
No, it is not "sort of" the definition of a check. Someone in this thread already defined it perfectly, it needs to be able to switch in no matter what the Pokemon does, threaten it, and force it to die or flee. That is a check. SDLuke's check is a Gliscor, Rotom-h is a check for CBScizor, etc.

You can't do that with Salamence with any Pokemon in the OU metagame. You can check certain sets, but that's not good enough because they're all very common. Furthermore, just because something can be revenge killed does not make it any less fitting of any of the uber characteristics. I can revenge kill Rayquaza with a Weavile/Mamoswine, but God knows Rayquaza is still an uber.

The rest of your post is rubbish. I'm sorry, but it is.
Aura Guardian said:
So what if Mence can sweep most of a team if played right?
Anyone can play anything like an idiot. I can play Rayquaza so shittily that it wouldn't even be useful in OU. Does that make it less of a threat or less of an uber? No.
TSPhoenix said:
My point was usage shouldn't be indicative of uber status (ie Wobbuffet) but on second though it seems silly to suggest that Mence could be deemed ou/suspect/uber without taking his actual performance in the metagame into account.
Yeah, exactly, the fact that both sets are equally destructive and roughly equally played plays a big part in it.

No, it is not "sort of" the definition of a check. Someone in this thread already defined it perfectly, it needs to be able to switch in no matter what the Pokemon does, threaten it, and force it to die or flee. That is a check. SDLuke's check is a Gliscor, Rotom-h is a check for CBScizor, etc.
I'll edit in some more responses, but that is a COUNTER not a check. Counters are able to always switch in, then do that. Checks, as already defined, are ones that sometimes can switch in and then stop a sweep.

EDIT: You also mince my words with extraordinary speed. After "So what if Mence can sweep most of a team if played right?" I said that it doesn't take little effort. It takes a decent amount of effort more than that.
Copied right from http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64977 first post.
Offensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is capable of sweeping through a significant portion of teams in the metagame with little effort.
The keywords here are "little effort." Can Salamence sweep with "little effort?" The answer is a resounding NO. SR + SS are common, Scizor is common, Life Orb is almost always there, and a number of other things can stop a Mence from sweeping, or give it a really hard time. Lucario can sweep spectacularly, but it takes effort. The same can go for Salamence. Garchomp, on the other hand, swept almost effortlessly.

Aura Guardian said:
I'll edit in some more responses, but that is a COUNTER not a check. Counters are able to always switch in, then do that. Checks, as already defined, are ones that sometimes can switch in and then stop a sweep.
If you say so. The words are used so interchangeably across the boards by everyone (Including mods and people with high CREs) that distinguishing them is difficult, if at all possible. If you want to play at that definition, however, then I rescind my former comment on your behalf. I'm not here to fight you, just make you think twice about your beliefs of Salamence.
Aura Guardian said:
Copied right from http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64977 first post.
Offensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is capable of sweeping through a significant portion of teams in the metagame with little effort.
It's very funny that you link to that thread, as it explains pretty clearly (even in the first post) exactly what I and others have been saying. Look at those damage outputs on the DD set. Look at how the MixMence set breaks things apart and fits into the Support Characteristic. It's versatility along with its monstrous power clearly demonstrates that it can, with little effort (Yes, little effort), decimate teams.

You keep bringing up Scizor, and let me remind you of something. Scizor sees a lot of play in Ubers as well because he can 'check' threats there effectively and return-fire with huge damage Bullet Punches. Let's take Deoxys-A, for example. Scizor can OHKO the typical Deoxys-A with Bullet Punch. Furthermore, he can switch into anything except HPFire (Much like how he switches into Salamence). Yet, despite that Scizor checks him so well, he is still an Uber on the offensive and support characteristics. Perhaps he is a more obvious case because of his blistering stats in some things, but you cannot make the argument that "because Scizor can stop him if switched in properly, he can't be uber" as that is incorrect. Furthermore, just because it can be revenge killed does not make it less fitting of the Uber characteristics. Rayquaza is a perfect example of that.

The threat of revenge KOs prevents him from sweeping easily. I grant that Mence can sweep, but does it sweep with as little fear, as, say, Garchomp? I do not say that just Scizor can stop him. I say that Scizor is the most used check. Only if I blunder early on in the battle does Salamence ever get more than 2 KOs. In any case, does including one or two checks harm the team? Scizor, with a little synergy, is always a benefit, so it's sort of a no-harm check for the team to have.

Also, other checks have been declared. Scarf Latias destroys Mence 1v1 if it doesn't switch in on the Outrage or Draco Meteor. Scizor and Max+ speed Scarfed Jirachi, except on the Fire Blast. Max+ Speed ScarfFlygon can switch in under the same conditions as Latias, and it would, at the worst speed tie if it came in on a DM. SR + SS + LO brings Mence down faster than almost any pokemon, because of the threats that can force it out. Also, the reason I mentioned "First Post" was because it was just where I got the quote from. The other posts give reasons on both sides of the issue. You may note that, later in the debate, the person who started the debate declared that the calcs, etc. were just to create a starting point for the debate. Anyway, what if Mence can't even come in against a team?

Trick Room, while rare, will stop Mence in his tracks. If the rarer conditions are grouped together, they might reach being used enough to be common enough to qualify. Revenge KO it on the Outrage. Really, Mence could just end up supplying you with a set-up opportunity. If it Outrages, pretty much any Scizor (SD even!) or Scarfed pokemon of enough speed or Ice Sharder can destroy Mence. Mence is not, in my experience (and I've used and battled against Mence a lot), an all-powerful sweeper.

Anyway, what if Mence can't even come in against a team?
I think this is a good point to make. As an avid Salamence user, the hardest part is getting it in past Stealth Rock and any opposing attacks, which will easily put you in under half health if you have the misfortune of having to switch in to an attack. Rather than those niche situations you mentioned, I think many standard battle conditions make it somewhat difficult to get a clean switch ins for Salamence.

A couple quick thoughts:

Against Heavy (and speedy) Offense, Salamence doesn't often get the chance to set up Dragon Dance and MixMence often isn't fast enough to keep up with anything that has a boost as well as faster unboosted Pokemon like Infernape. If you don't have momentum going for your side of the battle, Salamence can't do much for you.

Against Stall, MixMence is completely capable of fucking up a member or two. DDMence has a slightly harder time wreaking havoc though. Status is more prominent, meaning it's much easier to have a crippled Salamence. Phazers mean that SR damage will be racking up, potentially revealing your Salamence much too early.

For these reasons, I find Salamence too easily checked to be uber, but testing is always welcome. Even if we find it OU, we'll have known for sure instead of keeping up this at times ridiculous debate.

Aura, come on, use paragraphs. I don't want to tl;dr your posts, but you make it so hard not to. Split it up, trying to read it right now gives me a headache. >.<
Aura Guardian said:
Anyway, what if Mence can't even come in against a team?
Lure ground attacks with something that is weak to them (A lot of things) and you get a free switch in. If you're worried about SR, use a lead that will hopefully beat the enemy's lead; Aerodactyl, Scarfachi, and Azelf are all good options.

Let us assume that SR gets put down, though, as it is a huge balancing factor for the dragon. Still, his immunity to ground gives him lots of free switch-ins.

In any case (not in response to you, Rising Dusk, unless you've been in on the "the guessing game goes in favor of the attacker," I'm too lazy right now to see if you are), the guessing game could go in favor of either: Predict a Scizor, see Scarftran come in. Predict no switch, watch Scizor come in. Salamence would quickly be worn down and KO-able under those circumstances. Predict a Scarftran, see an enemy Mence. Yes, it can go the other way. However, I've found Mence to simply average being worth slightly more than it's slot.

As for the lure bit, yes, it works. However, the opponent might also not use Ground (Fire type: use Waterfall/Surf, Poison: not common enough, but likely, Rock/Steel: just attack a different type, though that might work. Fire attacks are a slight threat, though. Electric: Well, I just might fall for that, Hook, Line, and Sinker, but...)

However: Are the CRE 1500+ players using it in a broken way? By the way, Aura is a different username, already in use.

The statements three paragraphs previous is why I half-jokingly suggest a probability characteristic:
A Pokemon is Uber if, in normal battle conditions, it can force an opponent into a probability guess where the opponent has a 50% or greater chance of misguessing and being defeated because of the misguess.

Lure ground attacks with something that is weak to them (A lot of things) and you get a free switch in. If you're worried about SR, use a lead that will hopefully beat the enemy's lead; Aerodactyl, Scarfachi, and Azelf are all good options.
But having to lure out Ground attacks is a form of support that Salamence often needs to sweep. If you're using Pokemon that lure out Ground attacks so Salamence can sweep, that is a form of team support that is needed to sweep with Salamence. That Salamence so often needs this team support to be able to sweep takes away from the argument that Salamence can sweep through teams with little effort. What we should be doing is not proving that Salamence can sweep, which we've already established, but figuring out whether or not it needs little support to sweep.

It needs support to get rid of Scizor, Scarf Latias, and a few other Scarfers. Those can be quite hard, sometimes. Tyranitar deals with one or two, but falls to the others ... You need support to get rid of most counters, actually. Thank you, Staraptor Call, for advancing the discussion. I had gotten the feeling we were going in circles!

If Salamence does not have much support, then the odds are, support might be too weak to help, or already KOed. Without proper support, Mence can be forced out, resulting in free turns that a competent player can take advantage of. So, no, Salamence is not Uber because it needs too much support to qualify. Lucario can sweep, with support. Garchomp didn't need any (or much, anyway).

It isn't that hard... you do have to carry a steel type on just about every team to beat mence or at least switch into its outrage/draco meteor.

Not that being a Steel-type makes anything an actual counter. They actually get hit harder by Earthquake/Fire Blast (200, 240) than other Pokemon would by Outrage/Draco Meteor (180, 210), so all they're good for is Outrage or pivot switches...

Staraptor Call said:
But having to lure out Ground attacks is a form of support that Salamence often needs to sweep. If you're using Pokemon that lure out Ground attacks so Salamence can sweep, that is a form of team support that is needed to sweep with Salamence. That Salamence so often needs this team support to be able to sweep takes away from the argument that Salamence can sweep through teams with little effort. What we should be doing is not proving that Salamence can sweep, which we've already established, but figuring out whether or not it needs little support to sweep.
Errr. You do realize that it revolves around having safe switch-ins, not that your team has to lure them. Besides, if you're using a non-flying/levitating electric, rock, poison, steel, or fire Pokemon on you're team, you will carry a ground weakness. Most teams do, whether they plan on having Mence on them or not. Ground is a very common attacking type, so it's a handy immunity that gets many chances to be used. That doesn't constitute "a lot" of support at all.
Aura Guardian said:
As for the lure bit, yes, it works. However, the opponent might also not use Ground (Fire type: use Waterfall/Surf, Poison: not common enough, but likely, Rock/Steel: just attack a different type, though that might work. Fire attacks are a slight threat, though. Electric: Well, I just might fall for that, Hook, Line, and Sinker, but...)
Most players will bait those attacks. For instance, people don't not use electric attacks against Gyarados because they might have an Electivire in reserves. They still go for the gusto and try to bring it down. (At worst, it makes it take more SR damage) It's very reliable to lure attacks, especially when the enemy has no idea what's on your team. (AKA you haven't revealed Mence)
Aura Guardian said:
Without proper support, Mence can be forced out, resulting in free turns that a competent player can take advantage of.
Again, not quite. People will use an ice/dragon attack against Mence whether they know he's being "forced out" or not. The chance he stays in and decimates your one counter when you try to out-predict the enemy is too great to risk.
Aura Guardian said:
Garchomp didn't need any (or much, anyway).
Ugh, stop bringing up Garchomp. He was a totally different story. Even then, people still lured electric attacks so he could get free switch-ins.
Aura Guardian said:
Without proper support, Mence can be forced out, resulting in free turns that a competent player can take advantage of. So, no, Salamence is not Uber because it needs too much support to qualify. Lucario can sweep, with support.
If Salamence walks in at some point in the game, let's say with SR down, and he Fire Blasts your oncoming Scizor. Now you send out a revenge killer. He switches out, forces your revenge killer to escape. (That is support characteristic, since by eliminating scizor with virtually no cost to himself he has facilitated the rest of the team) He can then come in later when your revenge killer isn't out and do it again. Even with SR in play, he can do this at little real cost to the team and just shred things. That's just one example of how it can play out, and guess what? Salamence punches really big holes in your team with little support.

You can stick a Salamence in most any decently constructed teams and do great. He barely needs any support, since the things he covers are so vast and the immunity he has is so common. If you have any steels on your team, which nigh-every team does, then you already go a long way to cover anything people might use against Mence. That's very little support, really.
Aquamentus said:
Not that being a Steel-type makes anything an actual counter. They actually get hit harder by Earthquake/Fire Blast (200, 240) than other Pokemon would by Outrage/Draco Meteor (180, 210), so all they're good for is Outrage or pivot switches...
Exactly.

For the Ice/Dragon vs Salamence: Yes, and mence will either rack up more SR damage, or it will be KOed.

The idea I'm talking about is to revenge WITH Scizor, or to set up with Scizor when it Outrages. In any case, would you lob a Life Orbed Salamence on a Sandstorm team? I received a bit of criticism for trying Mence + TTar. (...Yet I still think it was effective...). Hailstorm is a similar principle. Mence will need Roost, and that is wasting momentum.
In any case, I think this would best be solved by asking the programmers to implement a "how much damage did Mence do that wasn't recovered (first damage recovered first) and how many KOs did it get?" In any small number of battles, it would be deeply flawed. However, over many battles it would average out. Unfortunately, this does not seem feasible to me.

Aura Guardian said:
Yes, and mence will either rack up more SR damage, or it will be KOed.
More SR damage is hardly a problem if when he comes back in he kills another Pokemon.
Aura Guardian said:
In any case, would you lob a Life Orbed Salamence on a Sandstorm team? I received a bit of criticism for trying Mence + TTar. (...Yet I still think it was effective...).
No way, the last thing Salamence needs with his LO and SR issues is his own team chipping off 6% more a turn. It may appear effective simply because it's two power houses beating away at the enemy team, but you're not using Mence properly if you throw him next to a TTar. Scizor can CBPursuit just as well, anyways.
Aura Guardian said:
In any case, I think this would best be solved by asking the programmers to implement a "how much damage did Mence do that wasn't recovered (first damage recovered first) and how many KOs did it get?" In any small number of battles, it would be deeply flawed. However, over many battles it would average out. Unfortunately, this does not seem feasible to me.
I almost agree with that idea, but I doubt it'll happen.

I agree with Aura Guardian that Mence + TTar makes for a great combo. Not DDMence; New MixMence really loves it due to its extremely short life-span no matter whether there is sand or not and the nullification of leftovers to make wall breaking easier.
I also agree with this quote(for the most part):
bearsfan092 said:
A couple quick thoughts:

Against Heavy (and speedy) Offense, Salamence doesn't often get the chance to set up Dragon Dance and MixMence often isn't fast enough to keep up with anything that has a boost as well as faster unboosted Pokemon like Infernape. If you don't have momentum going for your side of the battle, Salamence can't do much for you.

Against Stall, MixMence is completely capable of fucking up a member or two. DDMence has a slightly harder time wreaking havoc though. Status is more prominent, meaning it's much easier to have a crippled Salamence. Phazers mean that SR damage will be racking up, potentially revealing your Salamence much too early.

For these reasons, I find Salamence too easily checked to be uber, but testing is always welcome. Even if we find it OU, we'll have known for sure instead of keeping up this at times ridiculous debate.
I would also like to say that pokemon only become suspects if enough users have good reason for that pokemon being Uber; not if that pokemon is just powerful or we just feel like testing it. That is why we're having these "ridiculous debates" for. To convince users that Salamence is breaks one of the clauses and deserves a test.

Rising Dusk said:
Ugh, stop bringing up Garchomp. He was a totally different story. Even then, people still lured electric attacks so he could get free switch-ins
The reason that people keep bringing up Garchomp is that it was a self-sustaining sweeper during the DP era. I think that a pokemon is only broken by the offensive clause if it is indeed a self-sustaining sweeper. So far, I have only seen damage calcs and claims that Salamence can sweep with Magnezone/other pokemon. Any pokemon with a boost can 1/2HKO most of the OU metagame and using pokemon to help with a sweep whether it is to remove threats or to just lure an attack is hardly what I call a self-sustaining sweeper.

Rising Dusk said:
You can stick a Salamence in most any decently constructed teams and do great. He barely needs any support, since the things he covers are so vast and the immunity he has is so common. If you have any steels on your team, which nigh-every team does, then you already go a long way to cover anything people might use against Mence. That's very little support, really.
What things does he cover? The opponent's team has to lose all their DDMence checks for a sweep to happen and the longevity of New MixMence makes it only kill off one pokemon at best. How exactly does one just slap Salamence on a team and have it suddenly become successful?

I would also like to say that pokemon only become suspects if enough users have good reason for that pokemon being Uber; not if that pokemon is just powerful or we just feel like testing it. That is why we're having these "ridiculous debates" for. To convince users that Salamence is breaks one of the clauses and deserves a test.
This is true, but the crux of the debate hinges on the vaguery of "good reason" and various terms within the Uber clauses.

The reason that people keep bringing up Garchomp is that it was a self-sustaining sweeper during the DP era. I think that a pokemon is only broken by the offensive clause if it is indeed a self-sustaining sweeper. So far, I have only seen damage calcs and claims that Salamence can sweep with Magnezone/other pokemon. Any pokemon with a boost can 1/2HKO most of the OU metagame and using pokemon to help with a sweep whether it is to remove threats or to just lure an attack is hardly what I call a self-sustaining sweeper.
Except it wasn't. Garchomp always had support of some kind or another; indeed, nothing has been truly standalone since DP and before.

Game Freak201 said:
The reason that people keep bringing up Garchomp is that it was a self-sustaining sweeper during the DP era. I think that a pokemon is only broken by the offensive clause if it is indeed a self-sustaining sweeper.
Garchomp was a huge Sand Veil abuser, and that certainly isn't something it set up on its own. Between the SV evasion granted by combos with TTar/Hippowdon, the SR resistance, Yache Berry to tank an ice attack and kill their check/counter/etc, he was devastating with proper support. He was also his own ordeal, and is completely irrelevant to the discussion about Salamence.
Game Freak201 said:
So far, I have only seen damage calcs and claims that Salamence can sweep with Magnezone/other pokemon. Any pokemon with a boost can 1/2HKO most of the OU metagame and using pokemon to help with a sweep whether it is to remove threats or to just lure an attack is hardly what I call a self-sustaining sweeper.
You don't seem to understand that talking in extremes doesn't help. Many of the Ubers are obviously Uber. They are so powerful that they can sweep entire OU teams. However, it is not always so obvious. There is a point when a Pokemon is very good (Scizor) and totally fair in OU and a point where it's possibly just a little too good for OU.

The point of this thread is to convince people that either it is just good enough to merit a suspect test or that it is just not good enough to do so. I feel that it is for the reasons I've explained.
Game Freak201 said:
What things does he cover? The opponent's team has to lose all their DDMence checks for a sweep to happen and the longevity of New MixMence makes it only kill off one pokemon at best.
People oftentimes forget that Intimidate makes him slightly bulkier on the switch in to physical hits. Earthquake is a very common move as well and a free switch in. Furthermore, he doesn't have to sweep using the DDMence set. He can come in, kill one or two things with impunity because you can't properly predict what he will do, and have satisfied the support characteristic for the Uber environment.
Game Freak201 said:
How exactly does one just slap Salamence on a team and have it suddenly become successful?
I did not say that you just put a Salamence on your team and you would automatically be successful; don't put words into my mouth. I said that you can fit a Salamence into most decent teams and it will do great, a la complement it rather well. He barely needs any support that isn't already common enough on most teams, so he fits nicely into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)