Smogon Awards Nominations Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with RBG. I already voted for both of them. Wild Eep has made it even possible to get any shiny pokemon you want with flawless IVs.

Fine I'll just make my point sensibly. If you are going to make a nomination give a good reason, but don't completely undermin the work of others. Sure these people might have been very helpful.

For example I might decide that Colin deserves recognition for the work put in to Shoddy Battle 2 (which is VASTLY more important than getting good IVs), seeing as there is no "best programmer" category, research is the second most fitting category.

So yeah the work of mingot and wild eep may be good, but not nominating them wouldn't be silly.

To be fair, I'm on the fence as to weather simply programming Shoddy 2 counts as researching. To my knowledge, all the info Colin has gotten about pokemon to program into Shoddy 2, he got from others, and simply organized it and programmed it as smoothly as possible. Yes, he did put forth questions that needed to be researched in the research thread, but even then, I'm not sure that constitutes research either. I guess it all depends on what you call "research". If there was a Best Programmer category, then no doubt Colin and Bearzly would have it hands down, but I'm not 100% convinced Colin has done what I would call "research"

Fair point, but I think I would.

Sure getting the mechanics is one job, but programming them into a system that emulates a Pokemon Battle is something entirely different (and I imagine is at least as hard as the research itself.)

I could define programming to be research if I want. Academically research translates roughly as "Looking in to ideas in that field that have not been explored to exhaustion" so I'd say that Colin and bearzly are probably the only two Pokemon emulation researchers in the world, or close to.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
I agree with mingot (and Wild Eep) for Best Researcher. There are some categories I think I deserve to win, but Best Researcher isn't really one of them.

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
nominees are in mostly alphabetical order!

stole doug's stylish format (how influential of him)

Best OU Battler - Earthworm, husk, Loki
All three are consistently great, creative, and understand how to build teams + play the game better than pretty much anybody else. When it comes down to it, these are the three players that make me think the most when I battle them, and are probably my top three players of this generation. For this category, I have to give a shout-out to imperfectluck; one of the most dedicated, patient, and smart players I've come across.

Best UU Battler - Eo Ut Mortus, Lemmiwinks MkII, Loki
Mortus is a monster on the UU ladder 365 days of the year, and Lemmiwinks is one of the most creative and knowledgeable players of the metagame. That last boy is a beast...

Best Ubers Battler - Atticus, Jibaku, -Mind-
While not everyone knows it, Atticus is one of the most consistently dangerous players in all of the uber metagame! Jibaku is responsible for almost singlehandedly popularizing uber stall, his sets can be seen on many teams, and most importantly he's a strong player himself. Until a few months ago, Mind was king of the uber ladder for as long as I can remember. He has also won Smogon Tours, and many more people have won or made it to the finals using his teams.

Best Tournament Player - Earthworm, Panamaxis, reachzero
Earthworm is one of the most active tournament players, and it's not really surprising when you see the success he has. He has one of the best tournament match win percentages of 2009, and tied for the most wins, if you count Oceania's World Cup victory. While reachzero doesn't quite have a top win ratio, his success is undeniable, as he also tied for most tournaments won. reachzero can always be counted on to make late appearances in the tournaments he joins. Panamaxis may not have as many tournament wins as the others, but he boasts one of the best win ratios of 2009, and is one the most consistently strong tournament players of the year, which is just as important as total wins (as long as you win some, which he has!), in my opinion.

Best Ladder Player - imperfectluck, Kevin Garrett, Krack
If you asked me who is first on the OU ladder at any random time, I would bet money that it's ipl without any prior knowledge. ipl has been first on every ladder except ubers, and is more dedicated than anyone else I've ever seen. KG is consistently one of the top three OU players, and Krack getting first simultaneously on every ladder is a huge accomplishment. Nah there's no way ipl doesn't win this.

Most Influential Player - Theorymon
Yeah when you pump out more viable sets than there are uber Pokemon every week, and "popularize" complete gimmicks, there can really be no contest for this one lol.

Most Gimmicky Player - Aeroblacktyl, imperfectluck, Theorymon
MoP thinks outside the box with every single team he makes, right down to the entire concept.

Probably because the people in the box banned him.

ipl will use absolutely any set if it fills a needed role on his teams, while I'm convinced that Theorymon will just use absolutely any set regardless.

Biggest Upset (This can be a person or a situation in general) - Atticus defeating Smogon Frontier, Flax reaching Smogon Tour finals, DarkLucario winning Smogon Tour
Yep.

Best Overall Battler - Earthworm, husk, Loki
My OU nominations said everything I need to say about these three. They big.

Nicest User - Earthworm, Jimbo, Serv
I'm not sure Earthworm is capable of wishing harm on anybody, and is one of the nicest people you can talk to. Jiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmbbbbbboooooo. Serv has to be the most pleasant person I've ever met.

Wittiest Poster - cookie, Doctor Heartbreak, DougJustDoug
Bandwagon etc.

Most Helpful Poster - Haunter, Jimbo, Jumpman16
Yeah sure why not.

Most Improved User - Heysup
From worst to reversed!

Most Overlooked User - Firestorm, Big Bayou, Teifu
More like underlooked who's with me

Most Approachable User - BlueKirby, darkie, Jimbo
They will hold their titles until someone invents the computer that transfers smells over the internet.

Best Debater - Brain, ColinJF, Tangerine
"One of the most logically consistent individuals I've ever met, he is more than capable of arguing you into a rhetorical corner.", "One of the most logically consistent individuals I've ever met, he is more than capable of arguing you into a rhetorical corner.", I never agree with Tangerine.

Best Discussion Sparker - Aldaron, Deck Knight, Tangerine
Aldaron and Tangerine are two of the biggest proponents of change, and never fail to get people talking. Deck Knight is absolutely the greatest troll I've ever seen, I hope.

Most Influential User - ColinJF, Jumpman16, Tangerine
Makes huge contributions to the forum's features, is probably the most respected programmer on Smogon, and kinda created the program that allows us all to easily battle, as well as the future one. Jump has been the face of the entire suspect process, and has not only made his mark on countless new Battle Tower players, but could probably keep the entire Frontier scene interesting to follow singlehandedly. Tangerine is always looking for things to improve (more like CHANGE sometimes), is one of the most looked-up-to members on smogon, and has influence beyond his status!

Best Overall IRC User - Aldaron, ColinJF, Tangerine
Uhhh active speakers who are always up for discussion and are a best?

Best Overall Smogoner - ColinJF, DougJustDoug, Jumpman16
I see big things in these kids' futures.

Best Congregation Poster - Brain, Luduan, Obi
Can we please just have the forums send Luduan a notification every time Deck Knight posts?

Best Firebot Poster - Big Bayou, cookie, Foreys
if i were someone i would make foreys 9999 posts, cookie 9999 posts, big bayou 9999 posts, glen 9999 posts The Name would be Firebot

Best Stark/Policy Review Poster - Jumpman16, Lee, Lemmiwinks MkII
Best Battle Frontier and Suspect poster; consistently great discussion sparker and generally interesting poster; best UU poster. Can I stop writing now,,,,,

Best Thread of 2009 - A special presentation: cookie travels to the other side, Hax In Pokemon Battles

Best Trou Thread of 2009 - Corrections for Modding, Future Team Raters, need IzPack Installation of shoddy battle server info

Best Overall Poster - Big Bayou, DougJustDoug, Jumpman16
Doug's and Jump's posts are some of the most consistently informative and entertaining posts on the forums! Also they're long... this is a good thing! Find me a bad Bayou post (yes this was one of the last nominations left and i just wanted to finish).

Best Shoddy Mod - imperfectluck, Panamaxis, Seven Deadly Sins
They are the only active mods that I've seen on Shoddy lately x)

Best Forum Mod - cookie, Haunter, Legacy Raider
Pretty much keeps Firebot alive at times. Haunter is one of the most active posters in all of Stark, and constantly keeps watch over pretty much every thread. I'm not sure how active LR is currently, but over the past year he has definitely been in the same S.S. Anne as Haunter.

Most Promising New User - Panamaxis
Shows flashes of brilliance in one battle, then makes me scratch my head in the next. However, these questionable decisions are outnumbered heavily by solid play. He is definitely one of the better battlers of this generation, and I believe he can still get better. He's also one of the nicest battlers you'll come across, especially among great players.

Best Non official Tournament - Ban List Tournament, The Late Night Tournament, Pass the Trash
Ban List was run extremely well by die eter, had a very cool concept, and adapting your team every round or two was interesting. While I think I've only played in one LNT ever, it's hard to believe that TAY and co. can keep the themes fresh so consistently. Pass the Trash gets a nod for similar reasons to Ban List, although I didn't join it myself so maybe it was terrible!!

Best Researcher - ColinJF, Mingot
I can't imagine how much time and effort Mingot put into his work cracking the RNG, and it has arguably made the biggest impact on the (un)competitive (kidding!) wi-fi battling scene this side of fourth gen Pokemon's release. Colin not only heads the DP Research Thread, but has compiled nearly everything there is to know about 4th gen mechanics in his work developing Shoddy Battle 2.

Best Contributor - Theorymon
Get some sleep!

Best Artist - cyzir_visheen, Pirika, Rocket Grunt
Rocket Grunt you are the coolest, Pirika seriously made a huge impact on the World Cup experience whether you realize it or not, and I've enjoyed every cyzir drawing I've come across!

Yeah, I wasn't singling you out Colin, it was more a general example of why "RB Golbat posts it so it must be true, and you're silly if you think it's not true" isn't necessarily correct.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Took format from Erodent ;)

Nicest User
- Haunter
Haunter is known as a Pokemon that conceals itself by hiding in dark places such as caves. In this cave, it plans mischievous deeds in order to make a person's life miserable. When it approaches a person in the anime, it licks them with its tongue to take away their life; however, Haunter (the user) is nothing like this. Haunter always exhibits courtesy and politeness when I see him on IRC and forums. Whenever I ask him for help, he's always happy to assist me with any problems I may have. All in all, Haunter's an all around good user, and gets my vote for 'Nicest User'

Best Forum Mod - Haunter
Some people have stated that Haunter has a Choice Scarf attached to him, and I'm starting to believe it. Haunter locks every RMT thread that breaks one of the rules in a matter of minutes after they are posted, showing his incredible speed. Despite only being a moderator since August of 2009, Haunter has shown that he is more than capable of moderating. He performs his duties fabulously and keeps RMT safe and sound. Haunter is arguably the heart and soul of the RMT moderating staff, so he gets my vote for 'Best Forum Mod' without any hesitation!

Most Approachable User - Haunter
In Ruby, Haunter's Pokedex entry said this: "Haunter is a dangerous Pokémon. If one beckons you while floating in darkness, you must never approach it" You should always approach Haunter! Haunter (the user) is the exact opposite of unapproachable. Haunter is possibly the easiest person to speak with from my experience. I never hesitate to ask Haunter a question since he's always happy to answer them. Every time I see someone ask Haunter a question on IRC or for help, he always assists them. So once again, Haunter gets another one of my votes!

Most Gimmicky Player - Theorymon
Theorymon.....the dude who uses Iron Ball Gengar to absorb Toxic Spikes in Ubers o__o. If that's not gimmicky, then I don't know what is. I've seen Theorymon use some crazy Pokemon in Ubers, such as Delibird, Froslass, Tentacruel, and Skuntank, so he gets my vote for 'Most Gimmicky Player'

Most Promising New User - Joshe & franky
Joshe's Urban Dictionary description says the following: "the state of being "Joshe" is a common action for an individual whom is acting out amongst the crowd in a dumb way" Hopefully, that definition will change to something a bit more positive. I know that Joshe can bring a lot to the table if he puts his mind to it. He has plenty of hidden potential that is awaiting to be unlocked. If he can get his act straightened up, I'm confident that he step up to the plate and show his true potential. franky, the only blasian I know. He's been making quite an impact here on Smogon. I remember when I used to look at the RMT forum a while ago and all I saw was franky's name, since he used to rate the majority of rates. Some people have said that franky had a problem:

Problem: Bad Rates
How To Fix: Stop Rating

That above format my friend, is the one franky has established. Anyways...franky has improved his rates tenfold and is now a consistent and great rater. Furthermore, he writes nice analysis' in C&C. I see franky having a bright future here on Smogon!

Best Overall Battler
- Krack & Loki & Earthworm
Krack has had a phenomenal year in competitive battling. He has extensive knowledge of each tier, as shown by his rankings on the leaderboard and success in various tournaments. Every time I click Shoddy Battle on Smogon's front page, I take a quick glance at the leaderboard and Krack's name usually appears on it, since he consistently reaches #1 in UU, OU, Ubers, and recently Suspect! Additionally, he won an OU tour and an Uber tour, while being the semi-finalist of the Season 8 Tour, displaying how skilled he is. I've watched him battle on numerous occasions, and he never fails to impress me, so he definitely gets one of my vote for 'Best Overall Battler' Earthworm and Loki need no introduction. They're powerful.

Best Team Rater
- Legacy Raider
Throughout my time here on Smogon, LR has been the person who helped me the most. Everything I know about rating I learned from LR. He's also the main reason I began rating in the first place. Whenever LR posts a rate in the RMT forum, he never fails to impress. His rates are well thought out and high in quality and always help out the creator of the team in some way. Furthermore, he's observant and picks up on the key problems of a team very well. He's also improved leaps and bounds from when he first began rating. He patches up weaknesses nicely without replacing a large portion of the team. So yeah, he gets my vote for 'Best Team Rater'

Most Improved User - Fuzznip
In the past, Fuzznip used to be immature, make posts that broke the rules, and received plenty of infractions; however, he soon straightened up his act and transformed into a quality user, who eventually received a Lady Bug to commend the work he has done in Contributions & Corrections. Fuzznip is also friendly and easy to speak to, as I have seen when he helped me with some analysis' we've been working on together. He has written a multitude of analysis' here on Smogon, which are high of quality and informative. Overall, Fuzznip has shown that he can be mature and helpful, despite his past mistakes. I expect Fuzznip to grow even more as a user, so he gets my vote for 'Most Improved User'

Biggest Upset - Atticus conquering the Smogon frontier & DarkLucario winning Smogon Tour
The Smogon Frontier has a reputation for being unconquerable, however, Atticus shocked everyone when he managed to defeat the frontier, something most people thought would never happen. Atticus has displayed his enormous strength by defeating the Smogon Frontier, and this accomplishment is one of the biggest achievements one may hope to have on Smogon. As for DarkLucario, nobody really expected him to overcome giants such as Loki, and then Krack!

Best Uber Battler
- Jibaku & Mind
I've heard that he currently has 12 accounts on the Uber leaderboard. I've also faced him in combat and he's a heck of an Uber battler. Jibaku is good at stalling you until you go insane. He slowly softens up your Pokemon and wears them down with entry hazards and then strikes with his Giratina-O. He performs this nicely as well. Jibaku has also won Octüberfest, a Wifi-Tournament in which Jibaku crushed his foes. Mind on the otherhand tends to top the leaderboard regularly when he gets off his ass :p Additionally, he places high in Uber tours each time they occur. He's experienced with all types of play, whether it be Offense or Stall. An all around good player.

Best UU Battler - Eo Ut Mortus
Eo Ut Mortus means "I go to death" Eo doesn't go to death, he actually makes his opponents die >:( Eo is one of the best UU battlers I've ever met. He's topped the leaderboard on numerous occasions and gathered an impressive 16 points in UU during Smogon Tour Season 8. Not only is he an excellent UU player, but, he also has good character when facing his opponents.

Best Artist - Cartoons! & macle
I love Cartoons!'s art. His animations thread is amazing. I find it really enjoyable to look at the animations he created, and the amount of work he has put into them is incredible. I'm a big fan of the art he submits in the CAP forum; they're very well presented and professional. macle's art is quite different from the art I've seen around here on Smogon. There's just something about his art that makes me like it! It's pretty entertaining to look at as well.

Best Writer - Theorymon & Legacy Raider
I always look forward to reading LR's and Theorymon's incredible work. The analysis' they create are full of flavor and are never boring to read. They are highly informative and give the reader plenty of insight. Not much else to say. Also if it counts for anything, LR told me once that he won some writing contest....

Best Tournament Player
- panamaxis
panamaxis has had a marvelous tournament career this year. He has won the Ultimate Cup, World Cup with team Oceania, came in second place of the Little Cup tournament despite having no Little Cup experience, and came in second place in the Regional Tournament. That's an impressive résumé if you ask me ;)

Most Helpful Poster - DougJustDoug
Doug's monthly Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics is an incredibly useful resource for players. The amount of information those threads give someone is amazing. You learn what are the most commonly used 'mons in the current metagame. You even see what are the common teammates for a Pokemon. Doug takes the time to publish these stats for the community, and I'm sure many people appreciate it. Most other posts I see from Doug help me, and others as well. Doug is a pretty damn helpful poster if you ask me!

Best Stark Poster - Haunter & Legacy Raider
Every time I see a Haunter or LR post in Stark Mountain, my hand automatically moves the mouse to the thread he posted in, since their posts are usually high in quality. Their Stark posts are intelligent, respectful, and they know what they're talking about.

Best Firebot Poster - cookie
When I think of Firebot, I think of cookie. Pretty funny guy.

Best Shoddy Mod
- IPL
IPL bans, kicks, battles, and talks in the chat as well....what else could you ask for...

Best Trou Thread of 2009 - Future Team Raters

Best Warstory - When Latinos Collide! An OU Warstory By ReyScarface and Mizuno
Both players played fantastically throughout the game. I found the end thrilling. The way Rey pulled of that Zapdos finisher was pretty cool. An overall good battle filled with good moves and nice comments to add!

Good luck everyone!

Just my other nominations. I don't really feel the need to provide much reasoning, as most of my nominations are pretty obvious as to why they deserve that award. Good luck to everyone!

Nicest User: Jumpluff

Most Helpful Poster: DougJustDoug

Most Improved User: Xia

Most Approachable User: Legacy Raider

Best Discussion Sparker: Deck Knight

Most Influential User: DougJustDoug

Best Overall Smogoner: DougJustDoug

Best Trou Thread of 2009: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56163&highlight=joshcopter

Best Post of 2009: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1898145&postcount=13

Best Forum Mod: Colonel_M

Best Writer: Theorymon

Most Promising New User: joel22

Best Non official Tournament: Forgotten OU

Best Artist: CyzirVisheen

Best OU Battler Atticus
He had won the smogon Frontier.

Best Ubers BattlerDarklucario
Yeah Darklucario has won a lot of Uber tours on smogon tour.

Nicest User Haunter

Best Shoddy Mod Sapientia

Best Writer Fuzznip
Most Promising New User Fuzznip
Best Warstory
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51272
Best Contributor Colonel_M
Best Team Rater Haunter

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
The best battler is k. It sucks that he got banned!
Holy crap, a smogoner from the same city as me finally! Where abouts in Canberra are you from mate?

Ahem in other news, I have one resounding nomination to make:

Best Artist: Pirika

The stuff he did for the world cup was insane, and he has also made a variety of unique and aesthetically awesome artwork like his 3D pokemon. A well deserved recipient of the award imo, although this isn't to discredit the various other talented smogon artists.

Some of my nominations I'm sure of:

Best OU Battler
Krack, and Panamaxis.

Best UU Battler
Imperfectluck and Redwind

Best Ubers Battler
Jibaku and BlueBlur

Best Tournament Player
Panamaxis and Krack

[NOMINATION]
Best OU Battler - Krack, panamaxis, Kevin Garrett
Best UU Battler - Eo Ut Morris
Best Ubers Battler - Theorymon, Twash, Jibaku
Best Tournament Player - Kevin Garrett, Krack
Best Ladder Player - Krack, imperfectluck.
Most Influential Player - Philip7086
Most Gimmicky Player - Bologo
Best Non official Tournament
Best Contributor - Legacy Raider, X-Act
Best Artist - Cartoons
Best Team Rater - Bloo

Best Artist: Cartoons! AND Rocket Grunt. Cartoons! made an amazing game this year and Rocket Grunt, who is relatively new, has been putting out comical masterpieces.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a reminder Nominations close tomorrow.

Get those nominations in! (Only Nominations that are PM'd will count!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)