1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Technical Support

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by locopoke, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

Geez, I'm sorry, guys. Must be frustrating for y'all to have to deal with. :(
  2. Cesterp

Cesterp

Is there any idea of who is DDoS'ing it and possibly why they're doing it? It's a very peculiar and low-key target to be attacking.
  3. Antar

Antar Self-anointed Czar of LC UU
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

Further details will be published when they are known.

I will say that, given our symptoms, it's likely that we were part of a DNS Amplification Attack.
  4. SickSlickMan

SickSlickMan

Another one? Someone's got it out for you guys, dude :/
  5. IFailAtPokemon

IFailAtPokemon

I hear there are a few ways to stop / protect against DDoS attacks, but I think they're pretty pricey.
  6. Meli

Meli

welll... Around 1 year ago hackers were hacking everything like that because of ACTA. From what i know after one attack all the sites were usually safe and they didnt go offlline again.
    So there must be a way to protect Pokemon Showdown from the attacks~'
    I don't know why they can't...
  7. IstheCakeReallyaLie

IstheCakeReallyaLie

Damn. The best simulator ever is being DDoS'd. Anyway we can help?
  8. the chimp

the chimp

After looking at some of the (over)reactions in this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3468843

I can only think of someone unhappy with the fact that Showdown is stealing (even if this is untrue) users from Pokémon Online to be the guy behind these attacks.

@edit: of course, i'm not accusing anyone, but its very strange for a new simulator to be DDoS'd, even more something like Showdown that isn't really doing any harm to other simulators.
  9. ThePhalanx

ThePhalanx

I'm not accusing anyone either, but that's sorta what I was thinking. Going down once, okay. But going down repeatedly, as soon as a server is opened, means someone really has it in for Showdown, and I can't think of anyone else with a motive to do so.
  10. Iluvkyogre

Iluvkyogre

I can't support this anymore, we got to find the jerk that has been doing this. I have a new hypothesis: Maybe it is a "banned deucer" from Smogon or something like that and wants to bite it back real hard? There ARE smogon haters so don't ignore this! And seriously, anything that would attack immediately after PS restarted is none other than a computer, so... maybe someone ran a program and Showdown will be down for eternity without hackers lifting a single finger, yeah
  11. ThePhalanx

ThePhalanx

Nah, 'immediately' doesn't mean instantly. There have been some times where I've been able to play PS! for at least an hour or so.
  12. IFailAtPokemon

IFailAtPokemon

From what I've read, its quite difficult to track down the person behind all this.
  13. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

To add to this, it's true, the last time we brought up a PS server, it was attacked within minutes.

Anyway, it's up again, with some more protection this time.
  14. Garud

Garud

Is there any way to recover a password manually? I know you are probably too busy to install some sort of password recovery system, but if you have the chance, feel free to either PM it to me or whatever.

btw, my name on pokemon showdown is Garud (which matches my username on here).

If you can't, I'll understand, but thanks :)

Edit: Disregard this, I just got in and it logged me in without asking for my name even, which I am ok with. Unless you want to send me the password anyway, but w/e :)
  15. Yamata no Orochi

Yamata no Orochi capes are cool
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'm having some connection problems to PS!, it keeps knocking me out every time I try to connect. Any suggestions?
  16. GoHardPanda

GoHardPanda

Same problem as Yamata, I get disconnected all the time. I just came here because I got disconnected like 10 seconds ago :/ sometimes it works like magic but other times I get disconnected every 20 minutes
  17. Michael1991

Michael1991

For some reason, the ladder isn't updating for me after a match. It says "ladder updating..." but it never updates. I've tried it when I win or lose, and it does the same thing either way. I've also checked my ranking and it doesn't add/subtract anything when finish a match. Do you know what the problem could be? Thanks a lot for the help.

Edit: Now for some reason it started working again so ignore the above message.

Edit #2: And it's not working again, so it seems to be inconsistent where it works for a period of time and then it doesn't work again for a period of time. Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this and how I can fix it? Thanks.
  18. IFailAtPokemon

IFailAtPokemon

It gave me the You have been disconnected message suddenly out of nowhere D:
    Is it just me?

EDIT : Nvm, back on.
  19. Mew

Mew

Every time I try to connect I keep getting disconnected for some reason. This problem seems to have started around the last DDoS attack. Maybe new security settings that your server denies me access or something? This happens on Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Chrome as well as the Mac download... It seems to work on other user accounts of the mac, but those have admin rights.

Is there anything I can do or even you can do so I can just connect to PS! like normally?
  20. IFailAtPokemon

IFailAtPokemon

So... in the main chat, it started saying stuff like SERVER HAS DISCONNECTED, and PLEASE RESTART THE SERVER . So I refreshed and now I get the You have been disconnected message. Is this another DDoS attack?
  21. verbatim

verbatim Red like Roses
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

Between the hard work of our admins and the help from the hosting company, Pokemon Showdown has been able to stop the DDoS attacks. Right now the issue being worked on, and most probably what's disconnecting you, is lag.
  22. Mew

Mew

Well, My connection really isn't bad and from what I'm hearing on IRC, not much people are experiencing lag so that's not the problem. If it has nothing to do with administrator right on my mac, then the problem must be with you because I tried lowering my firewall and checking it on each level, and it keeps saying "disconnected, try in a few minutes" when I try to connect.
  23. Espo

Espo

I think it means the server is full. Just keep trying and you will get in eventually.
  24. IFailAtPokemon

IFailAtPokemon

It keeps saying You have been disconnected - possibly because the server was restarted.
    Is this a bug?
  25. Gengan

Gengan

It means Zarel's working on the server. There was a crash about an hour ago. You'll just have to be patient.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)