Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any idea of who is DDoS'ing it and possibly why they're doing it? It's a very peculiar and low-key target to be attacking.

welll... Around 1 year ago hackers were hacking everything like that because of ACTA. From what i know after one attack all the sites were usually safe and they didnt go offlline again.
So there must be a way to protect Pokemon Showdown from the attacks~'
I don't know why they can't...

Is there any idea of who is DDoS'ing it and possibly why they're doing it? It's a very peculiar and low-key target to be attacking.
After looking at some of the (over)reactions in this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3468843

I can only think of someone unhappy with the fact that Showdown is stealing (even if this is untrue) users from Pokémon Online to be the guy behind these attacks.

@edit: of course, i'm not accusing anyone, but its very strange for a new simulator to be DDoS'd, even more something like Showdown that isn't really doing any harm to other simulators.

After looking at some of the (over)reactions in this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3468843

I can only think of someone unhappy with the fact that Showdown is stealing (even if this is untrue) users from Pokémon Online to be the guy behind these attacks.

@edit: of course, i'm not accusing anyone, but its very strange for a new simulator to be DDoS'd, even more something like Showdown that isn't really doing any harm to other simulators.
I'm not accusing anyone either, but that's sorta what I was thinking. Going down once, okay. But going down repeatedly, as soon as a server is opened, means someone really has it in for Showdown, and I can't think of anyone else with a motive to do so.

I can't support this anymore, we got to find the jerk that has been doing this. I have a new hypothesis: Maybe it is a "banned deucer" from Smogon or something like that and wants to bite it back real hard? There ARE smogon haters so don't ignore this! And seriously, anything that would attack immediately after PS restarted is none other than a computer, so... maybe someone ran a program and Showdown will be down for eternity without hackers lifting a single finger, yeah

Nah, 'immediately' doesn't mean instantly. There have been some times where I've been able to play PS! for at least an hour or so.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I'm not accusing anyone either, but that's sorta what I was thinking. Going down once, okay. But going down repeatedly, as soon as a server is opened, means someone really has it in for Showdown, and I can't think of anyone else with a motive to do so.
To add to this, it's true, the last time we brought up a PS server, it was attacked within minutes.

Anyway, it's up again, with some more protection this time.

Is there any way to recover a password manually? I know you are probably too busy to install some sort of password recovery system, but if you have the chance, feel free to either PM it to me or whatever.

btw, my name on pokemon showdown is Garud (which matches my username on here).

If you can't, I'll understand, but thanks :)

Edit: Disregard this, I just got in and it logged me in without asking for my name even, which I am ok with. Unless you want to send me the password anyway, but w/e :)

Same problem as Yamata, I get disconnected all the time. I just came here because I got disconnected like 10 seconds ago :/ sometimes it works like magic but other times I get disconnected every 20 minutes

For some reason, the ladder isn't updating for me after a match. It says "ladder updating..." but it never updates. I've tried it when I win or lose, and it does the same thing either way. I've also checked my ranking and it doesn't add/subtract anything when finish a match. Do you know what the problem could be? Thanks a lot for the help.

Edit: Now for some reason it started working again so ignore the above message.

Edit #2: And it's not working again, so it seems to be inconsistent where it works for a period of time and then it doesn't work again for a period of time. Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this and how I can fix it? Thanks.

Every time I try to connect I keep getting disconnected for some reason. This problem seems to have started around the last DDoS attack. Maybe new security settings that your server denies me access or something? This happens on Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Chrome as well as the Mac download... It seems to work on other user accounts of the mac, but those have admin rights.

Is there anything I can do or even you can do so I can just connect to PS! like normally?

So... in the main chat, it started saying stuff like SERVER HAS DISCONNECTED, and PLEASE RESTART THE SERVER . So I refreshed and now I get the You have been disconnected message. Is this another DDoS attack?

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Between the hard work of our admins and the help from the hosting company, Pokemon Showdown has been able to stop the DDoS attacks. Right now the issue being worked on, and most probably what's disconnecting you, is lag.

Between the hard work of our admins and the help from the hosting company, Pokemon Showdown has been able to stop the DDoS attacks. Right now the issue being worked on, and most probably what's disconnecting you, is lag.
Well, My connection really isn't bad and from what I'm hearing on IRC, not much people are experiencing lag so that's not the problem. If it has nothing to do with administrator right on my mac, then the problem must be with you because I tried lowering my firewall and checking it on each level, and it keeps saying "disconnected, try in a few minutes" when I try to connect.

Well, My connection really isn't bad and from what I'm hearing on IRC, not much people are experiencing lag so that's not the problem. If it has nothing to do with administrator right on my mac, then the problem must be with you because I tried lowering my firewall and checking it on each level, and it keeps saying "disconnected, try in a few minutes" when I try to connect.
I think it means the server is full. Just keep trying and you will get in eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)