VGC 2012 rules up!

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Well I think I know why they would ban dark void smeargle. Mainly because the effect it had in 2009 where quite a few teams pack smeargle. Also if i recall there was a few ppl who got into t16 in both O8 and 09.
I do think they were rightfully scared about Moody Smeargle getting +2 Evasion and starting spamming DV and avoiding opponent's attacks.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
thank truck dark void is b&

sad my ubers aren't allowed in but with all gens i might just take a whirl this year. GO WEATHER

I've never been to any Pokemon VGC or battled competitively before. What would I need to do to prepare, aside from massive amounts of practice?

Practice on the Pokemon Online program on the Skarmbliss VGC server. Once you've created a team you like, build it in a game! You can even test your team on random matchup at the Global Battle Union. Practice is the most important part to success, along with a bit of luck on your side. Regionals are always a ton of fun, and there are some big changes for this year!

breh

強いだね
holy shit, I come home to a thread with 4 pages. damn.

anyway, nice to know that it's just normal doubles. I wish they would ban rock slide but, other than that, the meta can't be any better.

also oooooh dark void ban. Smeargle is so much less useful now lol.

for anybody who needs tips: use some sort of weather starter. if your team is not heavily reliant (or not reliant at all) on weather, use Abomasnow or tyranitar. If you want, use both on the same team. Just... use one. Also dedicated TR kind of sucks. Sticking TR on random pokes as a last ditch effort is fine, though.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
o By leveling up
o By TM or HM
o As an Egg move, through breeding
o From a character in the game
o A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
Does this mean no previous-gen exclusive moves like XD special moves or 4th Gen TMs and tutors?

Well I think I know why they would ban dark void smeargle. Mainly because the effect it had in 2009 where quite a few teams pack smeargle. Also if i recall there was a few ppl who got into t16 in both O8 and 09.
It's true that it was potent in Gen IV, but it lost a lot of that because of the upgrade of Fake Out to 3 priority, making Follow Me no longer an almost-guarantee for successful setup. I don't mean to diss Smeargle--I love the little guy--only I don't see nearly as many people running it in the GBU as I did when I went around looking for matches in Gen IV. But that's neither here nor now. The point is that the rules exist as they do, and that's fine by me; the earlier the better.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
holy shit, I come home to a thread with 4 pages. damn.

anyway, nice to know that it's just normal doubles. I wish they would ban rock slide but, other than that, the meta can't be any better.

also oooooh dark void ban. Smeargle is so much less useful now lol.

for anybody who needs tips: use some sort of weather starter. if your team is not heavily reliant (or not reliant at all) on weather, use Abomasnow or tyranitar. If you want, use both on the same team. Just... use one. Also dedicated TR kind of sucks. Sticking TR on random pokes as a last ditch effort is fine, though.
Don't underestimate Moody. Granted, it's not gonna be as reliable in a doubles format, but if you get the right boost on your first turn...

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does this mean no previous-gen exclusive moves like XD special moves or 4th Gen TMs and tutors?
XD is a game as are the 4th gen games. They're still TMs and characters in the game.

If you can obtain it legally without an external device and it's not listed as banned, you can use it.

breh

強いだね
moody is kind of like focus blast, except the chance that it works favorably is like 2/7 instead of 7/10. the only thing smeargle should be doing is smashpassing, which gorebyss is probably better at doing, tbh.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Have they announced where Regionals will be? If so, there a source? Hopefully, there's one nearby, but if not...into the business of VGC breeding!

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't underestimate Moody. Granted, it's not gonna be as reliable in a doubles format, but if you get the right boost on your first turn...
Yeah, don't underestimate Moody.

I think Moody could be another reason why Dark Void was banned. It basically allowed Smeargle to double-Sleep both opponents and rely on Moody to hopefully boost the right stats. Easy for Psych Up boosts etc. This can still be obtained through playing around with Spore but it's slightly more difficult.

Regardless though, Dark Void was just a little more cheap than everything else, I think we can all agree on that and I'm sure there won't be many people complaining about its banning.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Moody is going to be really annoying. None of the top teams will be relying on it, because it sucks in doubles, but there will still be people getting haxed out by it.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
In the gbu battle videos section there was a moody team that won using stored power after skill swap musharna...... That might give an idea of how they might fair in vgc.

I don't know about everywhere, but at the Florida Battle Roads for the TCG it was announced that their will for a fact be a VGC Regional in Florida the same weekend as the TCG Regional at the same venue, with the TCG swiss matches being Saturday and the VGC matches being Sunday.

I don't know about everywhere, but at the Florida Battle Roads for the TCG it was announced that their will for a fact be a VGC Regional in Florida the same weekend as the TCG Regional at the same venue, with the TCG swiss matches being Saturday and the VGC matches being Sunday.
yes we found this out on friday morning

Between these rules and the Canadian regionals, it's like TPCi is begging me to compete.

This post was pretty superficial; I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, it sounds like this is going to mirror the GBU if I understand correctly, albeit with Dark Void banned. So I suppose that's another venue in addition to Pokémon Online (that's the current sim, right?) that players can use to get familiar with the metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)