VGC 2012 rules up!

Man I want to go so bad, I live in MO but its so sudden and is money is tight atm bleh...wish I had a abra with teleport :)

Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
o By leveling up
o By TM or HM
o As an Egg move, through breeding
o From a character in the game
o A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
Does that mean we can't use Smeargle? Learning a move via Sketch is not on this list.

/pedantic

I'm assuming it's like previous years where we use 4 but also have 2 alternates. Didn't see it written down anywhere so does anyone knows for sure?

Does that mean we can't use Smeargle? Learning a move via Sketch is not on this list.

/pedantic
Well they made extra sure to ban Dark Void after banning Darkrai already so it sounds like sketch is legal.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

/pedantic
When a Pokemon Sketches a move, it does not learn it. The game states that a Pokemon Sketches an attack. Ergo, Sketching a move is not a method of learning a move but rather an effect of using the move Sketch. Since Sketch is not on the banned move list, it is legal.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Man I want to go so bad, I live in MO but its so sudden and is money is tight atm bleh...wish I had a abra with teleport :)
You know, that's the nice thing about this season. These stops in November do come with pretty short notice, but there's always April, and then Nats and Worlds. I'm lucky that I live so close to Crestwood, but you'll have a chance at the later stops if you can't make these.

@Machop Fan: He already forgot a few other things (at the offset), so he probably just forgot that tidbit too.

With no Dark Void, this is shaping up to be a hell of a season.

Without the need to having to always have a Lum lead now, I can finally think of something more productive.

Unfortunately, Moody is still among us. I wonder how well it will it stack in a doubles environment... Follow Me/Rage Powder is going to be quite annoying without a good pool of field attacks...

When a Pokemon Sketches a move, it does not learn it. The game states that a Pokemon Sketches an attack. Ergo, Sketching a move is not a method of learning a move but rather an effect of using the move Sketch. Since Sketch is not on the banned move list, it is legal.
Err, are you sure that reasoning's correct? It would imply that moves learned using Rage were also legal, and I hope that isn't the case.

I'm pretty excited too, I just hope starting in last years metagame won't mess me over with the wide variety of pokes this time around.

Agreed ^. This will actually be my fourth year but last year was the only year where I extensively researched and practiced so having so much more variety will take a bunch of common knowledge of all of the Pokemon. I also don't even know where to start in making my teams. =P

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
reserving my 'OH MY GOD BEST RULES EVER' until 6 months from now when people have actually had an extended period of playing it.

reserving my 'OH MY GOD BEST RULES EVER' until 6 months from now when people have actually had an extended period of playing it.
I already did that, but I'm trying to prevent it from happening. Everyone, use pokemon in your own original ways, make sure its something different than the absolute norm if you can. You can use some pokemon which aren't considered the best and find a niche for them too to make them able to compete in all of those situations. If we do that instead of mindlessly copying teams, this year's metagame has a lot of promise

I already did that, but I'm trying to prevent it from happening. Everyone, use pokemon in your own original ways, make sure its something different than the absolute norm if you can. You can use some pokemon which aren't considered the best and find a niche for them too to make them able to compete in all of those situations. If we do that instead of mindlessly copying teams, this year's metagame has a lot of promise
Anyone who's played me recently in PO knows what I'm packing (and it works surprisingly well). I love going out of the norm. Without that extension of common boundaries, I doubt we'd have picked up on pokemon like hitmontop so quickly. Yes, we probably would have noticed him eventually but the point is that he wasn't in the top 20 whereas now he's in the top 10 I'd say.

In particular I wish I could make Nidoking work but I had too many problems and he used up my focus sash spot... someone needs to do him justice. :)

Yea, November vgc will be the best vgc weekend, with no copia paste teams. Unique strategies will be seen, certain pokemon can become underdogs. As it stands there are well over 1000 team variations and many for playstyles. I wouldn't be suprise if someone kicks it vgc 09 style and use ludicolo+jolteon.

I think April will be so far detached from November that it won't really be following November's performances. In a way, it could be the better weekend, because people will have done more research into this "new" metagame. Of course, the notion of originality is worthy of applause either way.

Oh wow, no latios and latias ban. Seems like weather will obviously creep up thanks to the new pokemon. I know these UK things always do them in Birmingham, I might try to plan a journey towards it if I really want to go (assuming it will be there again) I wish they would try and it it closer to London or make more venue locations where I ca actually attend.

With no more dark void, I won't have to relive the pressure of leading with lum leads as someone mentioned above or even throw in the random Primape. But this should be interesting. I'm predicting 4th gen double tatics such as Ally absorb and Beeheeyem/Musharna tactics.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm curios - why is Sky Drop banned? I mean, it makes both the user and the opponent's mon to dodge all attacks, and it's a weak move.

I guess Sky Drop can establish a desirable match-up with the mons that are still landed. However, the opponent's landed mon can simply Protect until the airborne mons come down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)