VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to build a VGC setup for Blaziken (based entirely on the options suggested in the Smogon VGC entry for it) and it suggests using Ferrothorn as a blocker for Blaziken against water types, but Ferrothorn doesn't learn anything that will actually cover Blaziken. Does anyone know what the writer was suggesting, or can someone give better advice?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Trying to build a VGC setup for Blaziken (based entirely on the options suggested in the Smogon VGC entry for it) and it suggests using Ferrothorn as a blocker for Blaziken against water types, but Ferrothorn doesn't learn anything that will actually cover Blaziken. Does anyone know what the writer was suggesting, or can someone give better advice?
It suggests using Ferrothorn as a partner, since it doesn't give a damn about water-typed moves not named Scald (and even then, only because of the Burn chance). In return, Ferrothorn can use Power Whip to eliminate those Water types, and help clear the way for Blaziken.

Thanks for all the help! I'm thinking I may as well go with 'top and see how it turns out. But, I ran into another problem in that case.

I just hate it when a Pokemon ONLY learns moves in 4th gen! I never have a convenient way to do anything in 4th gen, but it seems like sucker punch is mandatory for any kind of Hitmontop setup. Is there anything that I could possibly use instead? If I have to, I'll just have to deal with it, but I am so not looking forward to having to waste time at the stupid Battle Frontier...

Thanks for all the help! I'm thinking I may as well go with 'top and see how it turns out. But, I ran into another problem in that case.

I just hate it when a Pokemon ONLY learns moves in 4th gen! I never have a convenient way to do anything in 4th gen, but it seems like sucker punch is mandatory for any kind of Hitmontop setup. Is there anything that I could possibly use instead? If I have to, I'll just have to deal with it, but I am so not looking forward to having to waste time at the stupid Battle Frontier...
hey man, some other nice moves on top are helping hand, feint, wide guard, etc.

or, here's a sucker punch top off of Pokecheck:

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=search&pokemon=237&move=389&ver=9 (has all tops on Pokecheck that know Sucker Punch, however, some may be hacked :P)

EDIT: https://www.pokecheck.org/?pk=4338669
here's one that looks legal and can be used on GBU, at an event etc.

EDIT2: 300th post :D

Was looking around for moveset statistics about Hydreigon but could not find anyone. The thing is I want to know how common is Earth power on Hydreigon.

Don't want to know how useful (because we already know) just how common is it.

Was looking around for moveset statistics about Hydreigon but could not find anyone. The thing is I want to know how common is Earth power on Hydreigon.

The current VGC 2013 moveset stats are messed up. Going back to January, however, Earth Power appears on 10.953% of Hydreigon. Keep in mind that those stats are both 1) outdated, and 2) just from the simulator. That said, it appears to be a somewhat rarely seen move on the mon~

The current VGC 2013 moveset stats are messed up. Going back to January, however, Earth Power appears on 10.953% of Hydreigon. Keep in mind that those stats are both 1) outdated, and 2) just from the simulator. That said, it appears to be a somewhat rarely seen move on the mon~

I think this is because Flamethrower / Fire Blast basically has the same coverage as it, but it can hit Flying-types. (and grass for SE)

I want to ask. I've check my Pokemon at VGC and my legality is yellow and green sign. Does it mean that it pass the hack checks (I use Pokegen, btw)

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Reminder: Smogon DOES NOT allow the discussion of cheating in official competitions
Firestorm said:
At Smogon, we encourage you to play to win within the rules of the game. The use of external devices is explicitly forbidden in the Video Game Championships series. Any discussion about how to get around this will result in an infraction.

Be respectful of your fellow competitors and play fair. If you want to be certain your Pokemon are legitimate, the only way is to raise them yourselves

Who do you think makes a better lightningrod user: Marowak or Seaking?
I've always found Marowak pretty underwhelming, and it also has worse typing (most Electric-types will have some way to deal with Ground-types, but often rely on their STAB to deal with Water-types other than Gastrodon, so they can struggle against Seaking; and I assume you're using Lightningrod in order to deal with Electric-type attacks, which are mostly only seen as STAB moves because Grass is more common for coverage moves). That said, I haven't used Seaking or really seen it used much, so it's a case of comparing something that I'm reasonably sure doesn't work well (except maybe in Trick Room, but it's not so great even there), to something I know nothing about.

Sorry for the super dumb question(s) in advance, but I want to ask about all the different IRL tournaments because I keep hearing terms being thrown around and I don't completely understand what they are.

I've only been participating in wi-fi tournaments from the global link, but I hear people talking about championship points and getting byes to other tournaments. What does that exactly mean? From what I've seen, it seems that Regionals are free to enter for anybody. Do you NEED championship points to enter nationals and worlds? How does that work? How do you even get championship points? Do you need to have a specific score or do you get them just by participating?

Also, what are the tournaments typically like? I know that's kind of a broad question, but I've never been to a Pokemon tournament before, so the whole thing is new to me. I would really like to give it a try, but I know I'm not very good and I'm afraid of completely embarrassing myself.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Sorry for the super dumb question(s) in advance, but I want to ask about all the different IRL tournaments because I keep hearing terms being thrown around and I don't completely understand what they are.

I've only been participating in wi-fi tournaments from the global link, but I hear people talking about championship points and getting byes to other tournaments. What does that exactly mean? From what I've seen, it seems that Regionals are free to enter for anybody. Do you NEED championship points to enter nationals and worlds? How does that work? How do you even get championship points? Do you need to have a specific score or do you get them just by participating?

Also, what are the tournaments typically like? I know that's kind of a broad question, but I've never been to a Pokemon tournament before, so the whole thing is new to me. I would really like to give it a try, but I know I'm not very good and I'm afraid of completely embarrassing myself.
Championship Points are explained here. Basically, you get more points the higher you place in a tournament, and the players with the highest total points get invites to Worlds (Nationals can be entered by anyone, but winning a regional gets you byes for it). If you don't have enough, you can also get in by entering the Last Chance Qualifier which takes place the day before the main event.

Your other question is really broad, and I'm not quite sure what kind of information you're looking for. You don't need to worry about embarrassing yourself, I've seen plenty of casual players there so as long as you know the basic rules of the game and pay attention to the announcers you'll do fine.

Thanks for the link! I wasn't sure how to actually check up on that stuff before... I wish they had it on the global link site, too.

I was worried that was the case! I guess I meant in regards to both atmosphere and structure. From what I've heard the battles are done Swiss style, which makes me feel a little less nervous. I guess how long does a typical round last and how many rounds are there, usually? Should I expect to spend most of the day there, or does it proceed pretty quickly?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Rounds are like 30 minutes tops, or something short, but good lord, sometimes it'll take hours between rounds. Often the tournaments don't start when they're supposed to, too. It just depends on if they've got their stuff together or not. You will spend the entire day there.

In the UK VGC Nationals, it started off as 60 minutes from the start of one round to the start of the next, and they got it down to around 50 as the day ended. Given that it took them about 3 hours to get their computers working at the start, and there were 9 rounds, it was a long day…

Gengar or Ambipom?
I cant decide which one should be the last member of team! They both have their advantages, and I cant choose!

The other 5 members of my team are: Volcarona, Cresselia, Crobat, Metagross and Rotom-W.

Gengar or Ambipom?
I cant decide which one should be the last member of team! They both have their advantages, and I cant choose!

The other 5 members of my team are: Volcarona, Cresselia, Crobat, Metagross and Rotom-W.
Go with Hitmontop, he's less gimmicky then both of those mons and synergizes well with the rest of the team.

Agonist

Way to not answer his question. Imo I would go with Gengar. Having a Fighting immunity is always good.
He already has two resists, one of them a 4x. Additionally, like he said, Top synergizes well with the rest of his team. So really, he did answer his question.

Way to not answer his question. Imo I would go with Gengar. Having a Fighting immunity is always good.
TKOWL's is honestly one of the better answers and, no offense, but it's better than yours. Gengar and Ambipom are both really frail Pokemon that lend very little to a team. If they're going to be added, it's usually best to think of unique niche they can exploit and build your team around that. Both aren't Pokemon you can round off a team with bar some serious coincidence.

Hitmontop on the other hand is a really, really easy Pokemon to through on late in the team building process because of what he offers. He's almost a perfect fit for this team in particular with every member enjoying Intimidate, Fake Out, and Fighting-type STAB.

Hitmontop on the other hand is a really, really easy Pokemon to through on late in the team building process because of what he offers. He's almost a perfect fit for this team in particular with every member enjoying Intimidate, Fake Out, and Fighting-type STAB.
seconding this. top can topmoth with volc, help cress set up or not be taunted and synergizes well with meta

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
What move should I use in my final slot for Liepard? Current moveset consists of Foul Play, Encore, and Fake Out.

I'm not completely done with deciding my team's rough draft either, but I know I'll be using Breloom and either Zapdos or Defiant Tornadus (leaning more towards the latter, since Loom is a prime target for Intimidate). I was thinking either Thunder Wave, or Protect, but TWave seems to collide with Spore, and idk if there's any other note-worthy moves Liepard wants to use over Protect, since it's rather frail anyway?

Agonist

Swagger, Taunt, or Substitute aren't bad choices. It also has options in Charm, Fake Tears, Trick, and Torment, all of which can be useful in their own right.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Swagger, Taunt, or Substitute aren't bad choices. It also has options in Charm, Fake Tears, Trick, and Torment, all of which can be useful in their own right.
It's hard to decide when I haven't finished deciding my other team members, so I'll probably see what fits best in the final slot once I get a draft up and going. I considered substitute, but I'm not too sure how well it'd fare in Liepard's hands, and I was planning to use Sash anyway.

On another note, would it be stupid to run Adamant w/ 252 HP/Atk, and use Sucker Punch over Foul Play? Most people use Jolly w/ Max speed, but I don't see the point except for "Outspeeding" neutral Whimiscott (unless I'm missing something obvious)?

Edit: Does anyone use Calm Thundurus anymore? I forgot that max Speed Liepard "Outspeeds" neutral Thundurus, so idk. I might just go Jolly anyway w/ Sucker Punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)