CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the idea of a metor Pokemon, so I decided to work with that. But, what I came up with rather looks like the offspring of Solrock and Syclant.
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/Drillist/?action=view&current=CAP5Concept.jpg

Drawing crystals isn't my forte, but I decided to go ahead and draw the backside too, but it didn't end up looking that good. It's not colored, but I was thinking dark blue would look nice for the body, though I dunno what color the crystals should be.
Keep in mind this is just a quick sketch.

Hey Blu! I'm still using some of your ideas in Amethyst, if you're wodering!

On-topic, I've drawn a design which I think reflects the 'break the mold' concept. I don't have access to a scanner right now, but I'll scan it and post it some time tomorrow. It's quite unlike any of the other submissions so far ;)
Haha, np. I wish you luck in your game project.

Anyways: Which "Stone Maiden" is better?

The design is simple. Its head and neck are made out of plastic. Since most of the people here wants this "Pokemon" to be a special attacker, but fragile. I made the body look like it's made out of polished stone, and a big gem is placed in the middle of its body(That's where she uses special attacks such "beam attacks" and such). Those crystal looking things on her skirt at the bottom are minerals colored blue, red, green, etc. Red represents fire, blue represents fire, and so on. That's where she gets her power to use elemental attacks such as flamethrower, ice beam, etc. I hope you guys like it. :toast:

Haha, np. I wish you luck in your game project.

Anyways: Is this better?

Try to "Open" the top arms and take away the bottom two. I like the Fire-Ice-elemental gems idea.

and get rid of the Head and replace it like a Baltoy or Claydol-like head.

It'll be downright scary and ready to own people with Ancient Power!

EDIT: Take away the cone-pointy thing behind its head. :D

Lofty, I love your design! Actually, I was going to draw something like it, but I'm not that great of an artist. My suggestion for a tail would be to have multiple "veins" of the rock attached to the bottom, like, some magnetic force pulled it up from the ground.

So here's my first idea. Starting with the idea of a mystic rock, I immediately thought of the Inca, so I used that as an inspiration. Also, there's this folk belief that rocks that have holes in the center are magical, so I threw that in the mix, too.

Also, Blu, I like the idea of ribbons around the figure, but what do you think of maybe having them cross around the figure's waist, and then curve around behind it before coming around the front again? I think it'd really work well with the shape of the body, and you'd be able to see the jewels better.

So here's my first idea. Starting with the idea of a mystic rock, I immediately thought of the Inca, so I used that as an inspiration. Also, there's this folk belief that rocks that have holes in the center are magical, so I threw that in the mix, too.

Also, Blu, I like the idea of ribbons around the figure, but what do you think of maybe having them cross around the figure's waist, and then curve around behind it before coming around the front again? I think it'd really work well with the shape of the body, and you'd be able to see the jewels better.

It doesn't look like a pokemon. Though it looks like the Pre evolution of bronzong, but still.

Try to "Open" the top arms and take away the bottom two. I like the Fire-Ice-elemental gems idea.

and get rid of the Head and replace it like a Baltoy or Claydol-like head.

It'll be downright scary and ready to own people with Ancient Power!
Ok, changes for the Stone Maiden:

->
->

The first one looks the best imo. The ribbons look like hands which don't look very cool on a pokemon like this. The head on the last one looks like a soldier. =S

I would just use the jewels on the last one for the first one. Maybe add a bit more detail to the body like you did on the third one but not exactly like that. Otherwise, it looks good.

Anways, I tried to draw a meteor type pokemon myself and I think it went pretty well.
Here it is:

I like it, what do you guys think?

My final design of my "Stone Maiden"

Pokemon structure idea from:

The "thing" that connects the head and the body is made out of plastic rubber. So, it kind of looks like it's going to break and fall. The whole body, and head piece are made out of polished stone. The big gem in the middle is where its most special attacks come from. It attacks by absorbing energy from the gems at the bottom of its "skirt", and releases an "elemental" beam depending on which gem it absorbed. The gems at the bottom are colored differently. Red, Blue, etc. Each represents an element(Fire = Red).
P.S. The middle of the body looks like a cyclops if you haven't seen it yet. =P
That is all. I really suck at coloring so I left it uncolored. I hope I drew a good enough sketch for it to make it to the polls.

It looks perfect. Really well drawn. I'm having a hard time choosing who to vote for.

I tried to make this concept art based on a crystal triceratops. Rampardos was the one that gave me an idea of using dinosaurs, so I decided to try one out myself and I'm pretty pleased with the finished product. You may think at first glance this thing can't be speedy nor have high SpA, but it actually could have those stats. It gets its high speed by curling itself into a ball and it basically rolls its way around, or it uses its really powerful legs to run at high speeds. It gets its enourmous SpA from its crystals on its head, horns, and tail. It also gets it from a mysteriously mystical jewel in the middle of its forehead. It gets all its power from the crystals and the jewel to use its special hits. So it all makes sense in the end and I think it's not such a bad idea.

Tried to make a meteor pokemon.

Tried to make a ruby + ring pokemon thing.

Diamond pokemon I guess you could say.

Can I get some comments please? No one has said anything about them.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Hi there. I improved my Gargoyle design... to a Mineral Gargoyle design.

It isn't complete yet [eyes, tail, hand...etc] but, it's the idea... what do you think about the colors?

the gray bothers me a little bit, its kind of ice or steel like. try making it a browner shade of gray. and perhaps you could texture the black parts a little more, make it look like flinted obsidian. otherwise, its coming along well

also, blu, i think your second stone maiden is the best one you have. with the arms, and with the backwards stone pillar thing. it looks really cool.

Actually, I really like this design. Is it possible for the tassels to be used as tentacles? You know, for manipulating objects, grabbing things or just resting on the ground?
That's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought about that. I only put 'em on there because the design was getting too top-heavy. :P

But yeah, that's not a bad idea. I could see the circles hanging from the tassels opening up at the bottom and being used as hands. I might move them a bit further out, maybe under the "ears," so they seem more like appendages and less like random bits.

I did some more minor sketches for various reasons.

First, there was a question about personality/emotion. While I don't really think that should be a major factor with pokemon design (see: Bronzong, Forretress, Starmie, Magnezone, Claydol, etc.), I would think that my comet design could show a range of emotion. To test it out, I did some doodles:

Clockwise, we have happiness/satisfaction, anger/fury, dawning comprehension (or boredom...), fear, guilt/depression, and pouting/jealosy.

I also tried out some various suggestions with just some basic implementation. Beginning with the original:

I tried out rock particles, rock wings, and a tail:

(The last one was me trying to see if something else would work...)

Anyway... I think I still prefer the original, but if popular opinion favors one of the others, I guess I'll go with that.

Then I messed around with floating, sentient rocks that would orbit the comet:

They would slot in to the left and right sides during long-distance travel, but would pop out to aid the comet during fights and such. If people like 'em, I'll refine them and give them a final design and whatnot.

Various coloring schemes for the eye. I'm fully open to suggestions on this front...

In fact, coloring schemes is the main thing I'd want opinions on. I'm completely open to anything. If you want, go ahead and copy one of my images and mark it up in Photoshop or MS Paint and show me.

This was me messing around with a color scheme, but I'd like to change it:

(The HAL eye didn't work, methinks...)

Also, some of you may have noticed that some of these sketches have doodads here and there, which I've recently been trying on to see what works and what doesn't. I tried a little circle/oval device on the sides, turning the four rock protrusions into circle gas exhaust things, etc. Still can't find anything I like...

Although, I did try out the suggestion of having three circular crystal-things arranged around the back, and it looked pretty nice. I forgot to take a photo of it, but I might try expanding on it later and posting the results.

And again, I'm reading all comments, so don't think I'm ignoring you if I didn't respond. I just can't tackle everything...

(God, and I hate working with pencil, but I doubt anybody could understand my sketches if they were in ink. Unless I'm doing a final copy, my lines are... really messy.)

My only compliant about Stone Maiden is a lack of arms. They do have to be attached to the main body, but something that resemble arms would be nice.

Lofty~ What excellent sketches you have they. You did a nice job having it show expressions with just one eye, and the coloring of it's eye is remarkable. Personally I think the red and orange coloring fits your creation the best as it make it more like it has a molten core inside.

The orbiting rock idea work best for "Comet Rider" in my honest opinion. Having them with the main body helps in explaining certain neat attacks like Tri-Attack, Flame Wheel, and Draco Meteor.

Ok, changes for the Stone Maiden:

Oh, man! That's really cool! :0

My only complaint? I mean, this thing is probably going to have really high speed. I have a design idea that I consider to be amazing and, if well-polished, could very well be a contender. (I'll see if my brother can help, or one of my friends; I know some pretty good artists who could throw me a bone,) but the biggest problem with it as I visualize it in my head that is that it really needs to be tweaked before it can be as fast as some of these stat spreads are looking out to become.

Look at the Deoxyss, for example. All quite similar, but one REALLY looks like it'll rape your face, one REALLY looks like it'll stop a war just by standing in the way of the missle, and one REALLY looks like a speedy little bugger. All because of their stances, all because of minor changes. Maybe if you make yours lean forward more?

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, I know this isn't exactly the best start for this design. but I feel like showing it off, and I can always make a better version later this weekend, assuming the thread isn't over.

Without further ado, the Totem of CaP

omg, thats so cool. maybe if they had a little more personalites to their face it could be better, i like the bottom.

Here's my submission. A crystal or glass creature. I'm not too sure on the coloring yet, all I had though of about is was the "head" would be different from the body.

I have another Sphinx idea too, though I'm not sure if I'm going to submit that one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)