New OU List (January 2009)

It's finally good that Flygon is in OU now, people actually see his hidden potential among the other popular dragons out there, Salamence and Dragonite.

Flygon is a joke...

Empoleon is a monster!

Gallade is.... a monster... whats wrong with you people??????

Also, Darkie and I are going to make Raikou OU next month... so watch out!

Flygon is a joke...

Empoleon is a monster!

Too bad the tier list isnt made again till April

And with Flygon's entry into OU, all FE Dragon types are now OU or higher except Altaria. While this may say something about a touch of overpowering of the dragon type, on the upside, it means the new UU has pretty much no Dragon types to worry about.

Of course, a similar thing can be said for Steel types, what with Steelix and Registeel being the only notable ones under OU now that Empoleon's in. The type's resistances are a bit too good, and 18% of OU is part-steel.

Not that we should ban these types or something. Just noticing a trend.

Who is still using Ninjask? I can't believe people are confused about Electivire being OU, when Ninjask yet made it in. @_@

I would consider Donphan over Mamoswine anyday. No, it doesn't get STAB Ice moves, but it has decent hp, attack, and defense and also gets Ice Shard. It does not have the fighting, steel, and fire weakness that Mamoswine has.

Also, Cresselia. I think its quite a nice wall. It is also an incredible status whore. Take a status, Psycho Shift it to something, rest, stalk, and have Ice Beam/Psychic. You can even Psycho Shift the sleep from Rest to the opponent.

Flygon is a joke...

Empoleon is a monster!

Maybe I'll make Raikou teams just for kicks now :P.

I've actually seen quite a few Donphans, Ninjasks, and Electrivires. o_o But good to see that the pokemon that were expected to hit OU hit it, I'd hate to see them wreck UU that badly (assuming of course that they weren't put into the BL region).

Oh, and Yaaaaaaay for Empwneon :D

The reason Donphan continues to be listed in OU is because otherwise, my Ash team would qualify as UU/BL, and that would be very bad for the UU/BL metagame.

Is it just me, or is it a bit...much that we're getting a new OU list every month? Why can't we have one nice, solid one like back in ADV?

Flygon is a joke...

Empoleon is a monster!

How is Flygon a joke but Gallade a beast? Flygon has a ton of advantages over Gallade like speed and toxic spikes/SS immunity among other things...I think Gallade dropped because Heracross and Lucario do the SD thing a lot better honestly, especially with the epic decline of Gliscor. The status set is alright though.

As far as the actual new OU list in concerned, Empoleon is great and so is Flygon (the CB set wins battles sometimes), and I'm glad to see underrated Rhyperior back again. I hope Gallade doesn't screw over UUs but I haven't UUed at all this gen so I wouldn't know. Also adding to the Evire/Ninjask/Donphan hate. Donphan can actually run a really mean CB set even though it hasn't been a good Rapid Spinner since Advance almost.

Also, with the advent of SDluke a long time ago, I haven't seen much of Heracross at all. It's a shame, since it's an amazing CBer, and Gliscor is falling in usage like crazy. It almost feels like Gallade all over again. 35 seems like a mighty fall from grace.

There are some Pokemon up there that I would have loved to see in the new UU... Oh well...

Is it just me, or is it a bit...much that we're getting a new OU list every month? Why can't we have one nice, solid one like back in ADV?
It's once every 3 months...

The fact that things like Donphan are OU but Azumarill is not makes me sad. Azumarill's really good when Skarmory's gone.

Oh well, cheers to Rhyperior, Flygon, and Empoleon!

I really am glad to see Flygon make it into OU. It has always been really good at what it does, and has plenty of opportunities to switch in thanks to its typing.

I'm also glad that Empoleon is OU. The penguin is good at several things.

Sadly, I didn't see Milotic on that list...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thank god I have have been relieved of the duty of worrying about Scarfgon., Empoleon gone is also a nice plus, but fuck you Gallade.

Damn, but the ladder's open soon :S

This means I have three months to try and make Slowbro OU. ^_^ Oh well at the very least it'll be kinda fun to use in UU.

But really having used Flygon, Empoleon, and Rhyperior before I'm not surprised at all that they're now OU. I am, of course, happy though.

I have a question now: "Does anyone know when the new tiers will be implemented?"

I'm just impatient to try out the new UU...

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why does Electivire keep making OU? It's awful.

I'm going to take all the credit for the now OU Flygon and Empoleon. They are both awesome Pokémon and everyone should use them.

RL if you say Flygon is a joke anymore I'm not going to be your friend.

The thing is, pokemon like Electivire are still in OU because not everyone who plays shoddy is going to be a pokemon expert. Most are still going to try and use their favourites. From my experience, Electivire seems to be a pokemon that all newbies like (something about Electric pokemon must make them go crazy, ala Pikachu & Luxray).

But as always, good to see the new additions to OU finally reach the tier. At first Rhyperior didn't reach it's expectations, but now people are realizing it true potential (with the help of that one 'Subperior' warstory). Empoleon also has one of the better typings in the game with something like 12 or so resistances, IIRC. But I'm also sad to see Gallade go, even if this means I get to abuse it to it's full extent in the new UU :P.

Great, Rhyperior's OU. Now I don't feel as cool having him on my team. :/

But in all seriousness, I'm not surprised Flygon, Rhyperior, and Empoleon made it in this time, as they're all pretty good, at least from what I've seen.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why do people always mention "I never see X on the ladder..." or "I guess I'm responsible for X's position on the usage rankings"?

The OU Ladder rankings were collected from OVER 205,000 battles in December. The most active individual battlers in Smogon might play several hundred battles, at most. Over 95% of all players play less than 100 battles in a month. On top of that, the usage numbers are based on pokemon on a team, not the pokemon appearing in battle. So you very well may have faced a team with Electivire, for example, and never saw it in the battle itself.

Any individual has a very small exposure to the overall battling sample -- certainly not enough to base statistical conclusions on personal experience. And the idea that one person's usage of Electivire (or any other top pokemon) made a dramatic impact on the overall ranking -- that's pretty silly. Electivire was used 26,701 times in December. Even if you were the most active battler in Smogon and used Electivire in every single one of your battles, you might have bumped Electivire one or two spots in the rankings. But, there are still 25,000+ other usages out there to account for Vire's popularity.

It's a different story on some of the other ladders -- but when it comes to OU play, the battle sample is large enough to be resistant to most individual oddities. It's also large enough to make most individual observations irrelevant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)