Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, it won't unless... well, you know how. It's strange, since what happens if you Knock Off Griseous Orb off in a regular local wireless match?

Just want to ask, is anyone crazy enough to use a Choice Scarf Smeragle in these tourneys so far? I think I am overthinking it, since I want to put a Safeguard in somewhere, and I don't know if I even need it.
I've only heard of 1 choice scarfing Smeargle from all the warstories here. Safegaurd will be worth it, but if your gonna use it may as well set up Swagger or Flatter to make more worth it

I've only heard of 1 choice scarfing Smeargle from all the warstories here. Safegaurd will be worth it, but if your gonna use it may as well set up Swagger or Flatter to make more worth it
hmmm... thanks. It's funny, cause I see half the winning teams out there, other than that Hitmontop + Scarf Kyogre lead, they would fall to Dark Void dead and center. Since Topman will spring the sash, and Water Sprout will do the rest.

What I am trying to do with my team however, is to outwit Kyogre, and cover as much leads as I can. Any recommendations?

Is the Hitmontop + Kyogre lead a standard lead right now?

I used a faster fake out that top and strong proirity pokemon. This kept hitmontop off my back for long enough to take off a good bit of health from kyogre. This also makes water spout weaker. Honchkrow is a great with stab sucker punch but there is also rayquaza extreme speed that would work on it also. I personally used a crit abusing honchkrow to sometimes make kyogre go down to the red zone making his water spout tickle a little.

I used a faster fake out that top and strong proirity pokemon. This kept hitmontop off my back for long enough to take off a good bit of health from kyogre. This also makes water spout weaker. Honchkrow is a great with stab sucker punch but there is also rayquaza extreme speed that would work on it also. I personally used a crit abusing honchkrow to sometimes make kyogre go down to the red zone making his water spout tickle a little.
Faster Fake Out users? Infernape practically invites Kyogre to use Sprout, which I don't want, cause even if I switch out, my set up partner gets hit. Mew is no good either since it is banned (or I can get one with Fake Out anyways... lol)

Shiftry is interesting, since there are a bunch of Groudon always trying to outwit Kyogre, however, Abomasnow is a death sentence for Shiftry and it will be very obvious when will Shiftry explode.

hmmm... thanks. It's funny, cause I see half the winning teams out there, other than that Hitmontop + Scarf Kyogre lead, they would fall to Dark Void dead and center. Since Topman will spring the sash, and Water Sprout will do the rest.

What I am trying to do with my team however, is to outwit Kyogre, and cover as much leads as I can. Any recommendations?

Is the Hitmontop + Kyogre lead a standard lead right now?
Choice Scarf Adamant Crobat. It won't will destory Kyorge but it can hurt it. Its immune to other Fake outs because of Inner Focus.

Crobat - Adamant - Choice Scarf
252 EV Attack and Speed

Brave Bird - U-turn - Taunt - Cross Poison

A really stupid question: Will the first four Pokemon of my full team automatically be chosen in a tournament match at the VGC? Or do I have to put my two reserve Pokemon every time in the box?

Well, I need help on how to make a Wynaut learn Encore. Thanks D:

and does Pokesav count as hacks/ legal hacks?.
A Wynaut? They're born knowing Encore. If it's still a Wynaut, you should be able to take it to the move relearner and pay him a Heart Scale to have Wynaut relearn Encore. If it's already a Wobbuffet, though, you don't have that option; you'll have to breed another one. If you do, you'll need to give one of the parents a Lax Incense.

I don't know about Pokesav, though, sorry to say.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While I know UK had reached its 250 cap, I was wondering if any of the 4 regionals in the US had reached the 768 cap at all.

Scarfed smeargle doesn't work because of fake out. If the smeargle itself uses fake out then it has to switch next turn giving the other player a free hit, if it doesn't, it could get KOd by a fake out so there's that. Smeargles do mess up teams, but they don't win tournaments. There has yet to be a team that has won with smeargle aside from a Junior match which doesn't count because juniors suck. I think that happens like that for a reason, specifically the reason stated above.

A smeargle would work when paired with weaville or a fast fake out. Weaville could fake out anyone about to use it and the smeargle is free to put every one to sleep. Another easy way to avoid this is simply make it a focus sash smeargle and protect the first turn, but I still like the weaville idea. I have seen it used and it works very well.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've heard a few did. Only person that comes to mind as of now is Ninahaza, though.
Smeargles do mess up teams, but they don't win tournaments. There has yet to be a team that has won with smeargle aside from a Junior match which doesn't count because juniors suck. I think that happens like that for a reason, specifically the reason stated above.
yeah dude smeargle is best sashed not scarfed and over all its not a game winning pokemon. it gets messed up by anything fake-out +kyogre, and if you scarf it then you risk 1HKO from priority moves, especially mach punch. there was ALOT of back and forth for me when making the team for phoenix. first i had a sashed smeargle [dark void, fake out, endeavor, protect] but in the end scarfed it [dark void, fake out, sucker punch], i had my reasons, it flowed with my team and increased the over all synergy. my team was more a 3 pokemon team as smeargle's job was to be a follow me pokemon by default[everyone focused on him first turn, even shinryu who took me out], my smeargle wasnt meant to survive more than two turns. he was to die very fast. that was his duty so i could bring in parasect or kyogre depending on the situation. and the free two turns he baught my palkia every match by being a default follow me pokemon was enough to KO weak pokemon. [except for shinryu who just had to sash his stuff hehe]. yeah dont rely on a smeargle. anything with taunt also just puts him out of work

I'm saying that if you run that team(weaville, smeargle). Ghost will be able to take you down first turn. Then there is no need for the defending team to have fake out.

A driver's license works as a proof of age at these events, right?
While it is a good idea to bring it, the majority of what I have seen has not required proof. I am fairly certain that the big requirement for proof of age will be when someone that looks like they belong in seniors tries to get into juniors - in which case a DL won't suffice ... as they wouldn't have one.

My daughter had to show her birth certificate at World's last year (even though she was only 8 she looked older).

The rules state to bring it, so I'm not advising against it, I'm just saying for the majority of people that show up - nothing will be required on that front (at regionals).

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only people I see requiring ID will be:
- the older ones entering Juniors (nobody signed up on Smogon)
- those 13 - 17 who win travel money / first place and want the extra money / ticket for their guardian

I have a few questions about the move trick????

-if I fake out my opponent and also try and trick him as well with a choice scarf, will my opponent be stuck in the move he tried to use or in his next selected move?

-what if I get faked out trying to trick with a choice scarf..can I use a different move next turn or am I still stuck in trick?????

I think these questions are pretty much the same, I just want to know how trick/choice scarf works with fake out...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)