Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

Man this game is a timesink, I spend 15 hours over the last two days on this mess. However the server my friend was hosting decided to nuke our world and we can't find a way to restore it. On the bright side I have incentive to check out the Smogon server now.
Do you know what happened, exactly? For instance, did his computer die (such as a laptop battery completely draining, or the entire system freezing) while the server was running? If so, I know how to fix this, sort of. Even if that's not what happened, can't hurt to try, right?

First, take the "world" folder that the server makes, and move it somewhere else. Doesn't matter where, just so long as you have a copy of the entire folder somewhere on the computer and it's not where the server file makes it.

Second, run the server file again so it creates a brand new world.

Third, copy or cut all the folders (FOLDERS ONLY, do not copy the three or so files in the main "world" folder) from the original world, the one that you moved, and past them and their contents into the new world. You'll be asked to replace many of the folders. Say yes to all of them and to any files inside the folders that it asks you to replace as well.

And that should be it. I've had my server get corrupted twice due to power failures, and both times I was able to restore it - for the most part - this way. I say "for the most part" because a few chunks will most likely be recreated, effectively erasing whatever was in those spots before. There's nothing you can do about that; if you use a map viewing program - such as Cartography - on the broken world before doing anything, you'll see that those chunks are already replaced. Also, the default spawn area for the server will also change, and unless my server is just weird, this area prevents anyone from destroying or adding blocks to it. This could be a good or bad thing, depending on where it was before and where it moved to.

First part of my major project complete: Built a giant waterslide inside of a cave system.

You see, what happened was I spawned outside of this giant cave system. So I thought to myself, I'll just live here and see what it's like, can't be that bad! (Mind you, this was a world I chose to play on Peaceful for the sake of wanting to build something more than fight zombies and turning off Zombies to build is weak-sauce.) So I see this giant waterfall and I followed it up to the top of the mountain. Then I decided to expand it further! So I did. I worked around the cave moving the water further and further until I fell down a hole on accident. Cursing ensued. I was done. It was over. I had fallen to the point where I lost 9/10 hearts! What could I do?

I could Indiana Jones my way to victory, that's what. Saw a small pool of water nearby and thought, This can be the bottom of my waterslide! Excellent! And so it became that way. I dug upwards until I heard water and dug towards it since I was close enough to be near my own waterfall/slide. In the end, it connected. I'm going to go collect a shitload of wood and make it an even better waterslide, extending from the top of this mountain nearby. Imagine how fucking awesome it is going to be to ride a waterslide from the top of one mountain over to the top of the next mountain down the bottom of the caves in that mountain? It's going to be the greatest thing I've wasted an entire day on ever. And of course I'm going to post a video + pictures when I'm done. I just hope I don't find something else to distract me from doing this because I want to do it by tonight!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
griefers are why you should have a registration system, accompanying IRC channel, server backups, and bans.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well it seems the greifer burned down my house, and turned my floating island into a massive penis.

Beautiful.

Password protect please.

stylish interval that sounds pretty awesome, looking forward to seeing it :x

also that sucks about griefers :(

edit: is there a way i can return to the spawn point on our server? i went into some mine tunnels and now things have gotten fucked up and the world isnt loading properly. im stuck underground and totally lost with no tools so i cant get out, and every time i re-join i just end up back there. halp :(
also i keep lagging online :/

gimme a shout next time you're on, i'll teleport you to civilization. usually there is a /home command that warps you to spawn, but notch has taken it out for the time being. there may be other similar commands in the future depending on whether or not we return to hey0's mod.

think you could jump on now and do it? ive left minecraft minimised and im just gonna let it run. im stoo99 in game :)

edit: nvm, stumbled across lava and suicided. now im on the surface :D

whoops, sorry. it slipped my mind and as soon as i logged on i saw "Stoo99 left the game." :x
i'll make sure to catch you later, i promise.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well, with all the damage done (seriously, they really fucked up my bank), I have some suggestions that I could implement with ops.

As sheriff/handiman, I'd do the following things.

Spawn
Clean up the spawn, its seriously ugly as shit with all the creeper holes and such. I'm thinking of trading in that sand for grass and generally making the place level.
Walling off the spawn and lighting it, preventing monster problems all together.
Replanting the forest that was recently burned down near the spawn.
Making some community chests that actually can be used (unlike the ones at the spawn), and periodically putting some useful beginner tools in them (like iron pickaxes).
And eventually, just adding some nice looking buildings.

Grief Repair
Helping players fix buildings that have been griefed.
Using the /give command to help griefed players with building materials, if they gather all the resources once they shouldn't have to do it again.
And of course I'd watch out for griefing and kick/report anyone doing so, but that's really the least of what I can do because I won't be there all the time.

First, take the "world" folder that the server makes, and move it somewhere else. Doesn't matter where, just so long as you have a copy of the entire folder somewhere on the computer and it's not where the server file makes it.
Noob question: do you know where the world folder saves by default? We've looked pretty much everywhere and found nothing; google/minecraftforums haven't helped. What you're saying makes sense though, shouldn't have any problems restoring it if we can find that folder.

vonFiedler said:
Using the /give command to help griefed players with building materials, if they gather all the resources once they shouldn't have to do it again.
I disagree with this on principle; it was brought up in #smogcraft that griefers are a part of the game (sorry, don't remember exactly who said this), and I feel the same way. They're sort of like natural disasters with ambitions, and as such I don't think there should be any assistance in recovering building materials. Community involvement in restoring damage is encouraged of course! Yeah it sucks but "that's minecraft" and I personally think of griefers as a part of minecraft's nature. This may just be me. I don't have any beef with your other suggestions, and definitely think it'd be wise to encase the spawn with some lighting, as spawing in the open at night is awful.

---

There's been lag spikes plaguing the Smogon server and there's been several suggested fixes, including a new host. I'm going to be doing a test run soon to gauge lag on a server on my network. If I get the file from forks it should mirror the Smogon world, and if all goes well I'll be able to get the newer file back to him when the test is over. I basically need as many people to get on and do their thing to see if it produces any unplayable lag. I'll post the IP tomorrow or the day after. I don't know how long I'll be able to maintain it but it should be at least 24 hours.

Noob question: do you know where the world folder saves by default? We've looked pretty much everywhere and found nothing; google/minecraftforums haven't helped. What you're saying makes sense though, shouldn't have any problems restoring it if we can find that folder.
The "world" folder for multiplayer servers is in the same exact folder as wherever the minecraft_server.exe (or .jar if you use that instead) is located. So if you have the .exe file in, for example, My Documents\Minecraft, then the "world" folder would be My Documents\Minecraft\world. Note that only the person who is hosting the server has this folder, so he/she will need to be the one to do everything. If your's isn't there... Well, I can only suggest using the search function to try and find it. Using one of the player files would probably be the easiest way; it's username.dat. For example, my data file would be MagicMaster87.dat.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
For one thing, I'd be using the /give command myself to fix the spawn point. Even if we still want to keep it sandy (and I'd ask for input before doing anything), I just can't fill in sand without making an obnoxious crater elsewhere.

For one thing, I'd be using the /give command myself to fix the spawn point. Even if we still want to keep it sandy (and I'd ask for input before doing anything), I just can't fill in sand without making an obnoxious crater elsewhere.
You can always subtly remove sand row by row from a nearby bridge.
Also, does anyone know why eggs are projectiles

you can now throw them at stuff and spawn more chickens :D

Big operation going on at spawn atm, trying to make it reasonably aesthetically pleasing and a safe haven from mobs.

Worst. Day. Ever. Sort of.

I finished my water-slide today around one o'clock. It was pretty challenging; I'd begun work on it a little before joining #smogcraft last night so that was probably around 8 o'clock. I started building from the top down, but after re-spawning ~5 times I decided I should work from the bottom up ... at least for the outside. I finished that this morning around two o'clock and went to bed. Got up again today and worked for a few hours on the inside and finally finished. All that was left to do was spread all the water.

It sounded really easy. But it wasn't. You see, for a successful water-slide you have to have the water spread down, but it can't be flat and level. I leveled out quite a bit of the water as I worked my way up and found out that stopped me from doing anything. >___> And did I mention that my turns weren't wide enough? Shot off with my boat and re-spawned the first time, haha. So I now have to redo a few turns and fix all the water (and I've actually recently finished clearing out all the water to start over). But here are the progress pictures I had taken throughout with most of the water-slide:

I realize now that I forgot to hold F1 as I took these. :( Oh well, you'll have to deal with seeing my tools!

The tower on the right is where I plan on starting the entire thing. A waterfall pours down from there and and the boat falls and begins down the rest. Two out of three times the boat didn't break and I was pleased. Tower on the left is how I marked my house for when I re-spawn :P The water-slide actually looks rather small in this picture but it's kind of bigger. It's about a 20-30 second ride down in a boat without me pushing it. I enjoy it!

This is where the water pours off the top half and into the bottom half. The problem here was that the water went backwards instead of forwards for some reason, so I've had to take up the task of redoing it. At the top of the picture is where the water pours off; the wood at the very top is part of the slide in the first picture. The slide goes down as you move towards the bottom of the picture.

On the left side of this picture is where the middle part of this is in the cave. It wraps around to where a natural waterfall is (was, T_T); I don't have a picture of that and I can't be bothered to go get one! As it continues to the right it leads to where my natural water spring is and almost reaches the bottom of the cave, illustrated in the next picture.

This last picture shows where I keep my water pool. It's full with water now, but it wasn't when I captured this. Anyway I built a way out of it, but that's the end of the line.

I think the entire thing about 60-80 squares deep, 30-40 squares above the ground, and has 4 drop-offs and 8 or 9 turns. I don't even want to try and think about how much wood I had to collect or how much dirt / stone I ended up keeping from all of that ._. It was a bitch to build but I'm glad I'm done with it. When I finish (probably tomorrow since I'm about to go to Christmas Mass) I'll record me going down in the boat and probably include one or two outtakes of the boat breaking or flying off the water-slide. That's always fun to see haha. Anyway, that's all I got. Maybe I'll construct a larger one that goes into the ocean. Actually, I think I'll build a roller-coaster next!

Edit: Counted; 27 squares high and I lost track at one point but I think 63 squares deep. That is all.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Important Stuff First

If you need wood from the tree farm, cut it down entirely then plant a new one in its place. By entirely, I mean to the point where leaves start decaying. Floating are a mess and prevent light from getting to new trees. Also, if you see a tree without a torch on it, it would be very cool if you put a torch on top (prevents monsters from spawning on top of them).

Second, did TR4Q turn his own house into "Penisland"? Don't fuck with other people's houses, even if they are in the spawn.

Last Stand Beach Renovations

The biggest improvement to Last Stand Beach was walling and lighting the place. Not only did it a while to build the wall, most of the time was spent filling in the beach (which Porydan2 and others helped with), building a moat on one side of the wall, clearing the mountain on the other, and clearing out the caverns under the beach.

I built a public forge and stocked it with some coal that I mined.

I built a gigantic lighthouse to landmark the area, it can be seen quite easily from as far away as the floating island.

Of course others put so much work into the spawn, like planting a forest outside the walls. Aura Guardian made a dock, and trees were planted around the beach itself. I got a little festive with one, but it is Christmas.

Next I plan to make a bank, then a workshop. After that, I'll find some secluded spot and work on things for myself. You might remember I HAD a bank on the beach, but it came with certain anti-theft measures.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
really cool looking waterslide stylish, i'd love to see the videos of the final product :)

and oh wow vF, looks like i'll barely recognise the server once i'm finally back on

good show, i'll hopefully be back on soon to contribute. particularly love the lighthouse -- i wanted to do something similar myself!!

Mutant trees gonna be mutant and I swear I didn't make it penisland >_< I put it as something else.

Smogon Tribute is complete!

Lots of time for gathering materials which stretched over a few days, building itself took like 3 hours due to waiting for night, talking to people, lag, and going back in forth to get resources. Back when I did these on an item spawn server, this would have taken 45 minutes, maybe.

Lack of purple blocks sucks. Please update, Notch :P. I might do the smoke eventually, but we'll see.

Shoutout to Chispy for showing me a good way to mine obsidian.

I'm usually not a fan of sprite art on minecraft, but Mr. Smogon here is outstanding! I sort of like the RBY feel to it as well with the lack of colour :P

Holy crap Xaq, that's a fine piece of work! How did you manage to mine all that obsidian though and in such a short time with the other materials? (assuming that all of this happened in the same 3 hours; however even if it didn't I still want to know!)

Man I might have to make one of those .... the possibilities in this game are endless. My next project is pretty huge, and I don't want to tell anyone for the fear that someone will take it upon themselves to do my project before I finish. However, I assure you that this is an impressive one. Wish I had the balls to come on the server and maybe make a home there but surely I do not! Haha, anyway expect the finished waterslide and maybe some screenshots of the next project in the works when I return ;)

Love, joy, and peace until then friends.

Well 270 blocks of obsidian itself takes 4050 seconds or 67 minutes, so the 3 hours I said was just purely building time (and messing around), I guess I didn't clarify.

Mining the obsidian was a completely different beast.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Anyone else having troubles connecting to the server lately or is it just me?

I've been trying to reformat my floating penis island into a larger island, progress is slow and I'm going to need much more dirt. Anyone who has some they can throw out would be thanked many times over.

I also figured out how grass mechanics work and I'm slowly bringing grass up to my island so it will be complete.

Oh my goodness, Minecraft.

I just recently got this game, and it's really exciting. Yesterday I found my first dungeon -- a zombie-spawning one -- and that was great. The sound from five angry zombies is horrifying. I had a great cave system going, but then the undead fell on top of me and I died. I can't find where I was, so I'm thinking of starting a new world and doing it properly.

I'd really like to try multiplayer. What servers do you guys like to play on?

Controller and Rawbi. We (forks) just switched to a new dedicated server. The lag has been drastically reduced for everyone, though we haven't been able to switch the map just yet, so we're on a new map just for now. Swing by the IRC on #smogcraft or PM forks of Dan_Dan, cause I dunno if I'm allowed to give out the IP...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)